Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I walked outside the other day and this little old man on a scooter was chopping bits off my mulberry tree. I asked him what he was doing and he said that HOA regulations say that I have to be so many feet from the curb. I told him my house doesn't belong in his neighborhood and doesn't belong to his HOA either. This is true, one side of my house runs along his neighborhood, but the front of my home is on another street. I thought it was over with.

Today I walk out and like 1/3 of my tree has been cut away. I planted that tree, and I am really fond of it. I don't know a whole lot about trees, but I know that this isn't the time to prune it, and I am pretty sure you're not supposed to just chop the whole loving side. My wife wants to write nasty letters or make a police report, but that's no fun. Any way you guys know of that I can put up something garish yes still legal to piss these guys off?

Since this thing is over 20 pages long, I should probably post the timeline:

Time line:

Old dude starts chopping at my tree, claiming it was violating the HOA of the neighborhood I don't even live in. I chase him away.

Tree gets mutilated in a much bigger way than an old man on a scooter could accomplish.

I make thread, learn about tree law.

3Olives throws in support for HOA's that I am violating countrywide, doesn't give a gently caress that I don't live in any of them. Gets probated.

I mostly unsuccessfully search for a lawyer.

HOA throws man under the bus and gives me the name of the tree service that cut the tree.

Tree service guy comes out, admits on tape that his company was in the wrong. Informs me that it was from a work order issued by the county.

Now I have a case, I guess, and no real lawyer.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, that white picket fence in the background is the sign to their neighborhood. That's about where the HOA starts.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Dregs posted:

I walked outside the other day and this little old man on a scooter was chopping bits off my mulberry tree. I asked him what he was doing and he said that HOA regulations say that I have to be so many feet from the curb. I told him my house doesn't belong in his neighborhood and doesn't belong to his HOA either. This is true, one side of my house runs along his neighborhood, but the front of my home is on another street. I thought it was over with.

Today I walk out and like 1/3 of my tree has been cut away. I planted that tree, and I am really fond of it. I don't know a whole lot about trees, but I know that this isn't the time to prune it, and I am pretty sure you're not supposed to just chop the whole loving side. My wife wants to write nasty letters or make a police report, but that's no fun. Any way you guys know of that I can put up something garish yes still legal to piss these guys off?

bro get a tree lawyer that practices tree law.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

your wife is right

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Yeah, your wife is totally right.

Document everything as it happens, take pictures, write down dates. Call the police and let them know what's happening before.

Ruin them by making them have some accountability.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

where's that tree law comic when you need it

edit:

edit2: https://www.reddit.com/r/treelaw/comments/8jvjfx/popular_examples_of_tree_law_from_rlegaladvice/

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 25, 2018

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I take a knee whenever I run by the community flagpole. It was at half-mast when McCain died. lol

Enthusiasm
Jul 11, 2010

NEVER go back for any reason.
Buy a broken washing machine/dryer off of Craigslist and store them in your yard. Try not to get murdered while using Craigslist.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Force them to spend all their HOA fees on legal bills is the best way imo.

Or you could go the trash route and just make your yard into a total eyesore, these kind of people hate that more than anything.

Junked out car on blocks in the front yard, trash piles, etc

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah lol the police are gonna give a huge poo poo about your tree dispute. What would that even be, vandalism?

Look up their bylaws and break as many as you can. Also send them threatening legal letters.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WaryWarren posted:

I take a knee whenever I run by the community flagpole. It was at half-mast when McCain died. lol

i know that there was a mass shooting/republican death whenever the local evangelical church's flag is at half mast

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Look at this poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

Look at this poo poo.

Yeah I'd be mad about that too that's some bs.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also kill the old man. be sure to tie it in to a theme like run some live wires around the tree so when the limbs grow back and he tries to cut them down he gets zapped

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
to answer the question in the thread title directly: I find it extremely hard not to piss off HOAs

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Protip: if you’re having trouble with your HOA, the easiest way to get them off your back is to learn Morse Code and get your ham radio operator’s license. Hams are protected by the FCC as part of the critical communications infrastructure of the USA, so if you wanted to, say, put a 90-foot-tall radio antenna in your front yard, the HOA can do absolutely nothing about it. Threatening to do that will shut them up good and fast.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My dad has consulted on tree law and trees can be worth a tremendous amount of money so I unironcally say you should speak to a lawyer

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

The Dregs posted:

Look at this poo poo.

Go chop one of his trees down and post pics.

HOA's are insane and I am so glad I don't have to deal with one anymore.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The Dregs posted:

Look at this poo poo.

Wtf? That looks like poo poo

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah lol the police are gonna give a huge poo poo about your tree dispute. What would that even be, vandalism?

Look up their bylaws and break as many as you can. Also send them threatening legal letters.

Yeah this is what I figured would happen

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Protip: if you’re having trouble with your HOA, the easiest way to get them off your back is to learn Morse Code and get your ham radio operator’s license. Hams are protected by the FCC as part of the critical communications infrastructure of the USA, so if you wanted to, say, put a 90-foot-tall radio antenna in your front yard, the HOA can do absolutely nothing about it. Threatening to do that will shut them up good and fast.

It isn't my HOA. I can do whatever the gently caress I want

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Dregs posted:

Look at this poo poo.

Lol, he wasn't trimming it, he was trying to kill it. What a loving moron. Report him to the HOA and tell them hes trying to kill your tree. Or just poo poo on his car in the middle of the night.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Captain Yossarian posted:

My dad has consulted on tree law and trees can be worth a tremendous amount of money so I unironcally say you should speak to a lawyer

This OP. You just hit paydirt.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Dregs posted:

Look at this poo poo.

Do what you wife suggested but in the mean time you need to go down to Home Depo/Lowe's and get some tree purning sealer. Keep the receipt and add it to the damages towards the dudes HOA.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is your house purple?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The antenna idea is probably the best.

Other options include: tacky lawn decorations, associating with colored people and putting up liberal political slogans.

I would 100% take that guy to small claims over this and in the meantime I'd organize a coup from within the HOA and take over the board.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
poo poo on his doorstep OP!!~!

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

The Dregs posted:

Look at this poo poo.

Are you going to let some suburban dip poo poo walk on to your property and mess with your trees, OP? Sure, it starts with a mulberry tree, what next? Your *squints eyes* decorative weeds?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hT-t19CJ4E

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Those are terrible cuts performed by an amateur, they left no nub for the tree to use as a wound sealer, definite vectors for pests and diseases at the least and could be the ultimate death of the tree. They should pay for it imo, and factor in the value of the tree at its current age. As you prob know for most trees you cant buy, transport, or plant trees of that size without some serious dough so don't skimp

E- i wouldnt use any kind of wound sealer in my experience it just gives mold, water, and pests a place to hang out under a nice protective layer of whatever you put on

Free Cheese fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 25, 2018

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

For real talk to a lawyer. Trees are worth a drat fortune.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Something tells me your neighborhood is going to have a mysterious plague of nocturnal lawn shittings

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Is your house purple?

Nah it's brown. Twilight,

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
When I was a kid there was another kid named AJ that would tattle tale all the time about dumb poo poo. One day every other kid in the neighborhood hit him with water balloons and super soakers till he cried. He never bothered any of us again.

I guess what I am saying is if you see anyone on your property hit them in the head with water balloons and super soakers full of piss.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Someone post that thread where the guy got like a 100k settlement because his passive aggressive dipshit neighbors cut them down and TREELAW

Fake edit: Nevermind, its in the reddit link under the comic. OP go find yourself a treelaw(yer)

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

The Dregs posted:

Look at this poo poo.

Mother fucker, that is not trimming, that is butchering. I'm mad now too.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Space Camp fuckup posted:

For real talk to a lawyer. Trees are worth a drat fortune.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, I thought Tree Law was a joke but goddamn tree law is the real deal

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
My mom's HOA president is the owner of the end unit next to her end unit. He has a tree on his property that is much closer to my mom's driveway than to his own. As a result, her driveway is now cracked all over with roots visible on the ground, some of which are getting close to her foundation as well. She's asked him politely to remove the tree but he refuses to spend the $2,000 to remove the tree: "It was planted by the original owner!!!". Some other neighbor yelled at his dumb rear end about it, so he angrily chopped up the offending root near the driveway. My mom now wants me to cut and/or poison his tree in the night. gently caress the suburbs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Most trees are not worth more than a few grand. Small claims court is probably your best bet, would be pretty open and shut I think.

It didn't ever actually extend past your property line, right? Even if it did all he would be allowed to do is trim it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BexGu posted:

Do what you wife suggested but in the mean time you need to go down to Home Depo/Lowe's and get some tree purning sealer. Keep the receipt and add it to the damages towards the dudes HOA.

He should let the tree die and then use the settlement money from that to buy a speedboat that he'll store on his driveway.