Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
It is the 41st Millennium, and there is only Darkness. Cadia has fallen, and with it, the last bastion against a real space invasion of the combined might of Chaos. The Great Rift splits the galaxy in two, with the half isolated from Terra called The Imperium Nihilus. Traitor Primarchs have been seen in real space, stories of Magnus the Red invading the home world of the Space Wolves are whispered about in all the churches. The worst part is that the Great Rift is so vast and powerful it hides the light of the Astronomican, and makes travel to the remaining Imperium all but impossible. Without the Black Ships to cull rogue Psykers, and no way to reliably travel the warp, near half the galaxy has been plunged into a new Age of Strife.

But all is not lost. The factions of the Aeldari are being united under the banner of a new god and working alongside mankind. Word has spread that new, powerful Astartes called Primaris marines now reinforce their traditional brothers.

And best of all, for the first time in nearly 10,000 years a loyal Primarch once again stands tall. Roboute Gulliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines is alive, and leads the Imperium. His Indomitus Crusade has punched through the Great Rift, reminding the Imperium Nihilus that they are not forgotten. While the Primarch has left, he has put in command Dante, Chapter Master of the Blood Angels.

But still, there is Only War.

Baal, Home World of the Blood Angels.

You each received the same message, "Meet me on Baal, the Inquisition needs you. Inquisitor Kingston." Accompanying the message were all the documents necessary to excuse you from whatever duties you owed, and to allow even an Eldar passage to the new capital of the Imperium Nihilus. The planet does not look much like a capital of anything. The world is in ruins, covered in the bio-sludge and remains of the Tyranid hive fleet that was just driven off with the help of the Indomitus crusade. Still, the group of you find yourselves underground, in some old an ancient bunker. The room is spartan, with only a solid wood desk in the middle, the room lit by candlelight.

Sitting at the desk is Inquisitor Martin Kingston, Ordo Malleus. You have all had run-ins with him at some point, either as an ally or enemy. The man is not as impressive as he once was. Old beyond old, the man's ebony skin and ashy hair make him appear as the ruined world above. Stooped over, the man has one cybernetic arm, two cybernetic legs, and one cybernetic eye.

"While the circumstances may be poor, it is good to say I was right," Kingston says, his voice not the cracked whisper his appearance would lead one to believe, but a deep, almost lyrical. "I said my entire career, that screw the xenos, screw the insurrectionists, but that the forces of Chaos were the most pressing threat to humanity! Now here we are, galaxy cut in two by a giant warp rift, cut off from Terra, Mars, Titan, though I suppose none of you even understand the significance of that last one."

The old man comes out from behind the desk, his cybernetic legs hidden by his simple robe and boots, but clanking against the stone despite the soles of his footwear. "And what else did I say all those years? That we should be working with the Xenos species that are willing to listen to reason, the ones that would unite with us against the darkness! And here we have a Primarch returned, and rumor is that the Eldar helped." His biological limb rests on a eldar pistol of some type on his side. "So now I have been vindicated, and empowered! Due to the reorganization required by the fact that we don't know what remains of the Inquisition, I have been named Lord Inquisitor of the Ordos Malleus for the entire Imperium Nihilus! Not only that, but given broad authority to create whatever teams I want with whomever I want. Astartes, eldar, criminals, guardsmen, I've been given carte blanche! You're one of about a dozen or so teams I'm building to go out and investigate likely Chaos activity."

He turns to the desk behind him and grabs a folder from a stack. "So your first mission will be to an Imperial World called Mitoch'ja. Some Construction workers tearing down some under-hive ruins stumbled upon the remains of what appeared to be an old ritual site, human sacrifice and all. Due to the lack of reliable communication, most of the information is on world yet, but if it's an old Chaos ritual site, no telling what might be lurking on world."

Okay, so this is my first attempt at trying to run the new 40k Rule system, Wrath and Glory rules of which can be found on drive-thru RPG besides the Gen-Con pre-orders I don't know if the physical books are in stores yet.

This is very much going to be a game of trying to figure out how to play and all the rules. I've read the book, but I don't think it will make sense until I start to play it. So don't take it too seriously, expect a lot of rules questions to me and from me. I want this to be a chance for folks to at least try the game.

The game will be play by post. The feel of the game is going to be to try and ape at Fantasy Flight Game's Dark Heresy, so a game of investigating heretical activity and busting up Chaos cults, or eldar warp fuckery mistaken for Chaos Cults. That said, I am going to leave character creation rather open.

Game Tier:3 This makes available the largest number of Archetypes.
Allowed Races: Human, Astartes, and Eldar. I just don't think Orks will work, and the tier leaves out Primaris marines.
Allowed Archetypes: All but the scavvy cultist, rogue psyker, Chaos Space marine, heretek, and Ork archetyes. Inquisitor Kingston is a rather radical sort, so he's fine with working with eldar, gangers, desperados, and Mechanicus forces. He won't work with Scavvies because he sees their mutation as corruption.
Players: I'm looking for about 4-6 players, though it will all depend on the apps I get.
Deadline: Unless I get a bunch of apps right away and then nothing, I plan to keep the recruit going until Friday, October 5th.

At tier three you have 300 build points, max base attribute of 8, skill max of 6, as well as maximum starting talents and psychic powers. It is all in the books. If you take a tier one or two archetype, don't forget to rank up and do the rank up package stuff.

I also expect the following questions to somehow be addressed in your fluff.

1. How have you had interactions with Inquisitor Kingston in the past?
2. Why did you drop what you were doing and heed his call?
3. What about the current state of the galaxy scares you most?
4. What does your character consider worth dying for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Sister Ruth Kletschka, Hospitalier of the Order of the Sacred Rose.

The daughter of two minor Imperial functionaries and raised on the only thing that qualified for a city on the Feral Planet Lethiea, Ruth was orphaned at a young age by one of the terrible plagues that periodically ravaged the world. Ruth was quickly shipped off to a Schola Progenium in a nearby system where she excelled in her theology and biology classes. At age 15 she joined the Adeptus Sororitas for further study. At 21 she was a fully fledged Sister Hospitaller and joined with several of her old friends from the Schola when she was assigned to support a Tempestus Scion unit, keeping the unit healthy both physically and spiritually.

It was while attached to this unit that she met Inquisitor Kingston. The Inquisitor requisitioned the units support to investigate chaos cult activity on Ruth's homeworld of Lethiea, an ancient cult in a desert of the world that had long practised ritual mutilation and sacrifice of prisoners. While fighting against the cult for over a year several members of the Temestus Scion's began to be corrupted by it, and it was Ruth's sad duty to kill her old friends before their souls were lost completely to the darkness. Ultimately the cults sacred artefacts were located and destroyed at the cost of the lives of the majority of the squad and Ruth's left arm.

After the Inquisitors campaign, Ruth was released back to the service of the Order and for a time at a hospital for veterans and the poor. Ultimately though, the work was fulfilling but not what she was called to do and Ruth returned to more active service with an Imperial Guard regiment, where she served until Inquisitor Kingston's call.

The idea of working with Xenos goes against everything Ruth was taught to believe, the return of one of the Son's of the Emperor should be a return to a new age of Orthodoxy, not whatever is happening. Still, Ruth trusts in her superiors. She will gladly lay down her life in the service of the Emperor and the protection of His Children

Stats to follow.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
I'd like in on this, but I can't afford the rulebook at the moment. Are Imperial Knights a possible thing on this, or would that be over the game tier?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm interested if I can find a character guide. Some sort of blood angel scout or tac marine

E: any discord for organization

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 26, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Going to try to make something. Probably will be dumb.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Rhyos posted:

I'd like in on this, but I can't afford the rulebook at the moment. Are Imperial Knights a possible thing on this, or would that be over the game tier?

Yeah, Imperial Knights are beyond the game tier, and not even mentioned in the core book.

Waroduce posted:

I'm interested if I can find a character guide. Some sort of blood angel scout or tac marine

E: any discord for organization

I'm mostly on the #acolyte IRC at synirc. There is a #acolyte discord server, but no channel for this game yet.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Will attempt to think up a character. Probably a sneaky type of some sort Techpriest.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 28, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Werix posted:

I'm mostly on the #acolyte IRC at synirc. There is a #acolyte discord server, but no channel for this game yet.

GEE HOW DOES THIS GET FIXED I WONDER

https://discord.gg/6m9VzSK is the Discord, there is a channel for it now

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Gregori the Merciful
Wrath: 2 | Faith: 2/2

"With every passing moment you sink deeper into damnation. It would be cruel to let you live."

It was nearly two decades ago that I first spoke those words, earning my epithet and my infamy in the process. Having said my piece, I then chopped a Cardinal in half at the height of Imperial mass. I was younger, brasher; my zeal bordered on foolhardiness. I was operating on a hunch, teetering on the edge of damnation, trusting in my faith to show me the way. And it did: the man's blood was centipedes, seething with corruption, and the same was true of the bodyguards that rushed me from all sides. I exposed their corruption for all to see, and burned that chapel of the damned to the ground.

In the chaos that followed, I first met Inquisitor Kingston. It turns out I'd beaten him to the punch by mere minutes. We compared notes, so to speak, and assisted each other in the cleanup of the remainder of that vile plague cult. The seemingly untainted survivors of our initial purge were quick to hail us for our quick thinking and decisive action, eager as they were to escape the pyre. Many of them did; am I not merciful? In the wake of my initial success, I rooted out dozens of cults and xenos infestations across the sector, sometimes at Kingston's side, at other times acting alone. These days, when I call, the Ministorum practically leaps to my aid. As well they should! I am a holy crusader, blessed with the foresight to find the damned and the strength to tear them out by the roots! One can never go wrong standing by my side, for the Emperor is with me!

Kingston's letter arrived while I lay in hospice, recovering from my latest success. One less Tzeentchi cult in the world, and all it "cost" me was a bit of my face. Cost? Ha, I call it a blessing! My countenance has only grown more distinctive, more frightening to heretics! As for this letter, I suspected the moment I read it that Kingston had finally pulled together the influence and resources to enact the plan he'd spoken of so many times when I fought at his side: using all available allies to face down the threat of Chaos. Even xenos and witches. I rushed off to join him without hesitation. Kingston is a good man, and he has never steered me wrong. Many of my greatest triumphs over evil have come at his side.

Yes, I respect him and call him a friend, in spite of his Radical plan. Many Redemptionists would already be plotting Kingston's demise for his consortation with the unclean, but experience has taught me that the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Or, rather, the enemy of your enemy is still your enemy, but you can kill one of them later. Every Eldar and psyker that stands alongside me has earned itself a temporary stay of execution. When this time of darkness comes to an end, then we can set about finishing off these lesser evils. The man who cannot tolerate the presence of a minor heresy in the name of defeating a greater one is a coward. He secretly fears that a chink exists in his faith, and because he feels fear, he is right!

There is only one thing I fear, and that is the Great Rift. This vile darkness obscures even the Emperor's Light and cuts us off from Holy Terra. Thousands of worlds stare up into that yawning horror in their night sky, an Eye of Terror writ large, twisting their souls and bodies as they contemplate it. I know the tales of Cadia, how many cults and mutants they continually put down in the lulls between Black Crusades. That was one world, a world that could not have been better prepared to deal with that threat. Now worlds all across the galaxy may be experiencing the same doom, and I fear they are not ready. Now, more than ever, the Imperium needs the Redemptionists. We understand that there is only one thing worth dying for: the Emperor! If by our sacrifice we can put an end to the lives of traitors, heretics, xenos, or the unclean, then we have lived well. The only metric that matters is how deep the bodies are piled before they bring you down.

pre:
Name: Gregori Vyvias
Species: Human
Archetype: Ministorum Priest
Tier: 3
Keywords: Imperium, Adeptus Ministorum, Inquisition
Background: Fanatical (Yet Pragmatic) Redemptionist (Adeptus Ministorum Keyword)

Defense: 4	Resilience: 9*	Soak: 4
Speed:   6	Shock: 7/7      Wounds: 7/7

Conviction:   4	    Corruption: 0
P. Awareness: 3	       Resolve: 3

Influence:    6 	Wealth:	3

Attributes:

Strength	4
Agility		3
Toughness	4
Intellect	3
Willpower	4
Fellowship	4
Initiative	5

Skills:

Athletics       3
Awareness       3
Ballistic Skill 2
Deception       1
Insight         3
Intimidation    4 (5)
Investigation   1
Leadership      3
Persuasion      4
Scholar         2
Stealth         2
Weapon Skill    5

Talents:

Acts of Faith: Spend 1 Faith and take 1 Shock as an Action to gain one of the following:
-Hand of the Emperor: Immediately move up to Speed as a Free Action
-Spirit of the Martyr: Regain 1d3 Wounds

Counterstrike: The first time an enemy makes a melee attack against me in a round, can 
               sacrifice next Move to make a single free action melee attack against  
               any enemy which attacks me in melee, up to Rank times total. No combat
               options or talents can be applied to these attacks.

Abilities/Traits:

Fiery Invective: 1/combat, free action heal 1d3 Shock on self and all <Imperium> allies in earshot.

Ministorum Contact: Obtain information, equipment, or minor favor from Ministorum contact 1/session. 
                    +1 step to initial Reaction of any NPC who is part of the Ministorum.

Facial Burn (Memorable Injury): +1d Intimidation

Wargear:

Eviscerator
Laspistol
Knife
Rosarius
Missionary Robes
Missionary Kit
Periculum Kit
-Chrono
-Data-Slate
-Magnoculars
-2 Ration Packs
-Respirator
-Vox-bead
Trinket (An unread message from someone on your homeworld).

XP:

Tier 1: 100/100

Tier 1 Attributes-58
Tier 1 Skills-31
Stealth 2-3
Intimidation 3-6
Ballistic Skill 1-1
Insight 1-1

Tier 2-3: 200/200

Stay the Course-30
Tier 2 Attributes-36
Strength 4-8
Toughness 4-8
Initiative 5-15
Weapon Skill 5-10
Deception 1-1
Insight 3-5
Intimidation 4-4
Investigation 1-1
Persuasion 4-10
Ballistic Skill 2-2
Acts of Faith-40
Counterstrike-30
Trinket Table, Trinket: 1d3 1 2#1d6 64

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 6, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Kaenera Uthel, Eldar Warlock

When the forces of Tzeentch descended upon the Stygius sector, I was among those chosen by Ulthwé to lead the embattled forces of the Imperium free from certain destruction. I served to guard the Farseers with body and soul and, of course, we quite naturally ended up in the thick of things. I suppose it's no coincidence that I first met the Inquisitor there. His retinue had been decimated by the fighting, surrounded by horrors led by a tainted marine of unusual potence, and it was only by combining our forces that the Seer Council was able to escape the enemy's encirclement. My brethren cleaved through the ever-growing horde surrounding us, but it was only by virtue of a rather reckless gambit on the Inquisitor's part that saw the sorceror distracted long enough for the Farseers to guide us to safe egress.

While Inquisitor Kingston is, of course, a man of principles that do not entirely align with my own, I think it fair to say that we are in agreement when it comes to the hunting of those who would pledge themselves to the forces of the Warp. If nothing else, I owe him a debt of blood and valor. Perhaps that means nothing to the men of the Imperium, but I shall not forget it. Though it was in response to a situation that arose from our strike to save what remained of the Stygian Crusade, he did a great deed for the Aeldari in saving the lives of the Council.

Though the debt did not hurt matters, my choice was driven more by the visions I have since seen. I've seen... troubling images, hints of a future I cannot fully understand, but it is clear that the best route to maintaining the sanctity of the craftworlds and this newfound Imperium-in-exile will be through fighting the same foes as the Inquisitor. I never take up the helm and armor of my former Aspect, the Howling Banshee, lightly. I can only imagine that the forces of the Warp will test it once more.

The Warp's reach expands further and faster than ever before. I cannot help but think that the Aeldari will be hit hardest by the renewed call of corruption. We are an intense people, as you well know, and the methods of coping with such evil may no longer be sufficient. It is only by carving order into space once more, denying the grasp of the Warp entirely, that will see us free of the sword that constantly hovers above each of our necks.

There are many things worthy of death in battle, though I have seen visions suggesting that I should refrain as long as is possible. There will come a time when that sacrifice will mean everything. If it meant the survival of those I am sworn to protect, I would lay down my life. If it meant striking a blow that would leave the Warp reeling, I would do the same. I am not afraid of death, but I do wish that it comes with meaning attached.

pre:
Name: Kaenera Ulthel
Species: Eldar
Archetype: Warlock
Keywords: Aeldari, Asuryani, Psyker, Ulthwé
Background: Stygius Sector Rearguard (+1 Influence)

Aeldari Objective: Call upon one of the gods of the Eldar as
you accomplish a difficult task or defeat an enemy.

Defense: 3	Resilience:  *9	  Soak:     4
Speed:   8	Shock:      7/7   Wounds: 7/7

P. Awareness: 2	       Resolve: 3

Influence:    5 	Wealth:	3

Attributes:

Strength	3
Agility		4 (3+1)
Toughness	4
Intellect	3
Fellowship	3
Willpower	4
Initiative	4

Skills:

Psychic Mastery 5
Weapon Skill 	4
Intimidation	4
Ballistic Skill 3
Investigation	3
Awareness	3
Tech		3
Scholar		2
Pilot		2

Psychic Powers:

Psyniscience
Smite
Dull Pain
Fortune
Flight
Enhance/Drain

Abilities/Traits:

Outsider: +2DN to all Interaction tests with those
with the Keyword <Imperium>.

Intense Emotion: +1DN to all Resolve tests.
Failing a Willpower-based test in a scene
involving intense emotion grants the GM +1 Ruin.

Psychosensitive: All Eldar may purchase 1 Minor
Psychic Power if they also purchase the Psychic
Mastery skill. This purchase also gives them the
Psyker keyword. In addition, the Tier Restriction
for Maximum Psychic Powers for Eldar Characters
is increased by 1 to accommodate this purchase.

Runes of Battle: A Warlock begins play with the
Psyniscience and smite psychic powers (these
do not count towards the maximum), and may
purchase additional Minor Psychic Powers,
Universal Psychic Powers, and Runes of Battle
Psychic Powers, subject to Tier restrictions.

Wargear:

Rune Armour (*4; Force Shield)
Witchblade (5+6+3ED; AP 0; Force, Parry, Warp Weapon)
Shuriken Pistol (10+1ED; AP 0; Range 24m; Salvo 2; Penetrating [3], Pistol)
A Set of Wraithbone Runes
Spirit Stone

Trinket:

A forged promissory note from an upstanding Guild on a nearby hive world.

XP:

Tier 3: 	300/300
Eldar		10
Warlock		80
T2 Skills	70
T2 Attributes	94
Dull Pain	8
Fortune		10
Flight		8
Quicken/Delay	20

Tricky fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 29, 2018

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Dame Lucia Dolores Bernadette Makenziesdottir-Delgado

Wrath: 2/2

No one could doubt the superiority of noble blood, especially when there was so much of it spread across the room. Lucia had finally managed to loose her inheritance defending her family's honor, after a set of identical triplets from a rival dynasty suggested her height and temperament was a product of her mother's liaison with an ogryn bodyguard (Lies: it was probably the Catachan game-keeper). It was less the response and more the means, as chainblade in hand, and in full view of the court, Lucia made sure the trio respectively would hear no evil, see no evil, nor speak it ever again without some serious cybernetic work. Things were not improved when, following the subsequent challenge to a duel, her choice of small arms involved spraying the vicinity with a bolt pistol before charging in and eviscerating her cowering opponent as he hid behind the corpse of his second (and third, and some people unlucky enough to be in the general area).

All this hot on the heels of her being widowed twice in the past year and a half (both husbands experiencing mysterious hunting accidents) sealed the deal and she was informed she was to seek her fortune elsewhere. The galaxy beckoned, and a few ports of call later Lucia found lucrative work as the person of contact for several private naval officers and their port side dealings. With her quick wits and quicker blade, things devolved into violence only most of the time.

However, luck and chutzpah can only be relied on for so long. It turns out the classic reverse-lateral to the femoral artery is less effective when the target in question is a 2 and a half meter slab of vat grown assassin swimming in synthetic adrenaline. He leisurely palmed her skull and jammed his thumb into her eye socket and began rooting around for grey matter before his body caught up with him and reminded him he was dead. Inquisitorial agents, investigating rumors of xenos-derived combat drugs pouring into the system, thought it as good an audition as any. It turns out Kingston has plenty of room for people versed in courtly etiquette while also continuing to function with chunks of their face missing. No, the patch wasn't on the other side yesterday, gently caress you.

Having gotten through life with a mixture of bravado, violence, and privilege, the thought there there are Things out there sufficiently nasty to just laugh all your efforts off before squashing you flat is unnerving. Some form of Warp-entity or Xenos pointing and laughing while reminding her, yeah, she ain't poo poo. In any event, no matter how it goes, Lucia follows the Duellists's Code: If you're gonna die, at least make it interesting.

pre:
Name: Lucia
Archetype: Desperado
Keywords: Scum, Imperium
Background: Highborn Duelist Bougie Scum

Defense: 3	Resilience: 8 (5+3Armor)	 Soak: 4
Speed:   6	Shock: 7/7      Wounds: 8/8

P. Awareness: 2	       Resolve: 5

Influence:    5 	Wealth:	3

Languages: High Gothic, Low Gothic, Eldar

Attributes:

Strength	4
Agility		4
Toughness	4
Intellect	3
Willpower	4
Fellowship	5
Initiative	4

Skills:

5 Weapon Skill, Persuasion
4 Athletics, Cunning, Deception, Intimidation
3 Awareness, Investigation, Stealth
2 Insight, Ballistic Skill
1 Tech, Pilot

Talents:

Trademark Weapon (Chainsword): When wielding <Weapon>, the character may add+Rank ED to all successful attacks.

Abilities/Traits:

Valuable Prey: Desperados receive +Rank for Cunning tests. They also receive +Rank to Awareness tests when tracking a target.

Wargear:

Chain sword
bolt pistol
flak coat
preysense goggles
various maps,
combi-tool
Trinket (A book of dirty limericks and bawdy verse written in Low Gothic).

XP:

Tier 3

Desperado 30
Tier 3 Attribute Array 133
Tier 3 Skill Array 101
Trademark Weapon 30
Language: Elfdar 1
Tech 0>1: 1
Ballistic Skill 0>1: 1
Ballistic Skill 1>2: 2
Pilot 0>1: 1

Trinket Table, Trinket: 1d3 1 2#1d6 64

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 30, 2018

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Working with the Aeldari, huh?. Well, the profession of xenosociologist isn't allowed to exist, but I suppose I'm probably the next best thing.

I first ran into the Inquisitor back when I was another data-stack crawler on a research station studying the effects of the Rift on the formerly prosperous Gerstahl system. I was assigned to write an official Administratum precis summarizing the various worlds within, and while I was to be formally censured for both "length of report unbecoming of Inquisitorial review" and "baseless supposition", apparently the section I'd penned regarding evidence of old fertility god worship on the former agri-world turned out to be much more helpful than anticipated. If the blood that caked his boots and coat was any indication, I'd say I felt pretty vindicated.

Still facing review - after all, reversal of execution orders can take several Terran years - the old man did me one last favor and conscripted me for what remained of the Ordos Xenos at the time. We didn't have much - lines of data-transfer from more appropriate worlds like Scintilla and Terra itself had been taken for granted, it seems. Still, we did what we could with what we had, and manged to acquit ourselves quite nicely when our sort of information was needed. I was, I'll admit, fascinated by the Aeldari civilization - enough to volunteer for field work studying what we thought was a possible Aeldari artifact in the ruins of a blasted jungle world. Unfortunately, when I attempted to jury-rig an interface with whatever it was, the resulting feedback jumped straight up my wrist MIU port, scorching the arm into uselessness and causing a fair bit of dendritic malfunction. I'm lucky I can still pilot a ship or hold a gun - the mental augmentations that the Ordo was able to secure for my recovery undoubtedly helped.

I jumped to the call when the Inquisitor's missive mentioned possible xenos interaction - I'll admit, I never thought I'd work with him personally again, given his attention for darker problems. It was either that or continue compiling. Which isn't to say that I think it isn't important - we lost so much information when the Rift hit that I fear much of it may never be recovered. And when seemingly infinitesimal bits of data can mean the edge between life and death, each data-slate destroyed or expert lost also dooms the future and its inhabitants just a little bit more. If nothing else, I hope that I can uncover something lost to time and the warp. I may not be sufficiently religious for some of my more puritan co-workers, but whether there's an actual reward waiting for me or not, I think that bringing the past's light back a little is worth my own life.

quote:

Name: Lyta Hatcher
Archetype: Inquisitorial Adept
Keywords: Imperium, Inquisition, Ordos Xenos, Administratum
Background: Goal: Satisfy Curiousity (+1 Glory when you complete an Objective)

Defense: 2 Resilience: 4 Soak: 3
Speed: 6 Shock: 7/7 Wounds: 6/6

Conviction: 4 Corruption: -
P. Awareness: 3 Resolve: 3

Influence: 6 Wealth: 3

Attributes:

Strength 2
Agility 4
Toughness 3
Intellect 6 (+1)
Willpower 4
Fellowship 4
Initiative 3

Skills:

Scholar 5
Tech 5
Awareness 5
Investigation 5
Pilot 4
Insight 3
Ballistic Skill 3
Cunning 3
Athletics 2
Stealth 2

Abilities/Traits:
Ordo Xenos: Knows Aeldari languages, +2 to any xenos-related Scholar/Investigation tests
Administratum Records: +Rank to Influence and Investigation tests to acquire information
Augmetic Left Arm (Memorable Injury): +1d Intimidation

Wargear:

Flak armour, laspistol, knife, auto quill, data-slate, 3 scrolls of ancient records.

Ascension Wargear: Augur Array (Auspex) and MIU
Augmetic: Cortex Implant

XP:

Tier 1: 100/100

Tier 1 Attributes-60
Tier 1 Skills-40

Tier 2-3: 200/200

Stay the Course -30
Intellect 4->6 -33
Toughness, Initiative 2->3 -12
Wil, Fel, Agi 3->4 -24
Athletics, Stealth 0->2 -6
Augmetic -27
Scholar 4->5 -10
Tech, Awareness, Investigation 3->5 -42
Ballistic Skill, Cunning 2->3 -6
Pilot 0-4 -10

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 28, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I def want in on this. I'll buy the book now and go over it. I hope your all ok with a Sister of Battle, since we already have one Sororitas signed up?

One question though? What's the policy on post length, because i've played games where two to three paragraphs of action and description was required and I am hoping that is not the case here. I'll do my best to be as descriptive and effort as possible, but sometimes all I need to post for an action is just one or two sentences.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Aww right, I was waiting to see the system in action.
I'm just going to watch this one but I wish you guys all the best in extermination.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I def want in on this. I'll buy the book now and go over it. I hope your all ok with a Sister of Battle, since we already have one Sororitas signed up?

One question though? What's the policy on post length, because i've played games where two to three paragraphs of action and description was required and I am hoping that is not the case here. I'll do my best to be as descriptive and effort as possible, but sometimes all I need to post for an action is just one or two sentences.

If it's not one of the restricted classes feel free. Though I do want some variety in the group, so if I get a bunch of SoB and hospitalliers there will be more competition between them (same if I get a bunch of marines, or bunch of Ad Mech, etc).

It also sounds like prior games you were in sucked. I don't enforce any length or detail requirements on posts, especially in combat. There are only so many ways to say, "I shoot the daemon." I certainly encourage people to really go with it, but I never have gone after a player for their posts being too long or too short.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Werix posted:

If it's not one of the restricted classes feel free. Though I do want some variety in the group, so if I get a bunch of SoB and hospitalliers there will be more competition between them (same if I get a bunch of marines, or bunch of Ad Mech, etc).

It also sounds like prior games you were in sucked. I don't enforce any length or detail requirements on posts, especially in combat. There are only so many ways to say, "I shoot the daemon." I certainly encourage people to really go with it, but I never have gone after a player for their posts being too long or too short.

Ok. In that case can I submit two possible characters and then pick which one would be a better fit at game time? I also have an idea for an Aldari Warlock.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. In that case can I submit two possible characters and then pick which one would be a better fit at game time? I also have an idea for an Aldari Warlock.

I'd prefer one submission per player, though players are free to change their submission as the recruit goes on. So if a player apps something, and other players app something similar, the player is free to submit something else until recruit closes. It just makes my job more difficult when going through apps when I have multiple players with multiple characters. Last timevI allowed it I did my initial selection of characters and only when I was writing the posts for the picks did I realize I took two from the same player.

If someone posts more than one app ( since people sometimes go crazy in character creation) I only consider the first app made by that player unless the post has been edited out.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Darana stands at 5'9 with broad shoulders and pale, freckled skin. Her wavy red hair cut into a Sororitas bob cut that is just a tad longer than regulation allows. She uses mainly a Power Sword and Plasma Pistol in combat and wears a suit of standard issue Sororitas Power Armor colored blue with yellow trim. (The colors of the Order of the Radiant Spear)

Since the age of twelve Darana had called the shrine world of Pillar her home, having been brought to the Schola Progenium there after her parents were murdered in some inter-noble house rivalry that she never quite understood. She was eventually brought into the Order of the Radiant Spear, a Soroitas order that was tasked with collecting and preserving any and all holy artifacts it could get their hands on. Because of the order's mission, the woman it trained were expected to be more knowledgeable on Imperium Lore than the average Soroitas in other orders. Darana struggled with this, finding the rote memorization of texts and dates to be a daunting task that her fellow novices seemed to have no trouble with. However, where she lacked in her studies she more than made up for in martial skill, being able to outpace all but a handful in physical and combat training.

Once she finished training she was assigned to a squad heading to Dewna 5. A Chaos legion led by the Emperor's Children were attempting to sack the planetary capitol, which contained relics dating back to the Great Crusade. It was here Darana became a notable figure to Inquisitor Kingston after she managed to hold her own against the Champion of Slaanesh that was leading the Traitor Marines. Eventually, with the help of the Inquisitor and her Sisters in arms, Darana was able to slay the Champion after weeks of fighting. However, Darana was alone for her final confrontation with the foul champion and, with the exception of Inquisitor Kingston, refuses to talk about what happened or how the champion died.

Although there were whispers about the unusual nature of Darana's final duel, it earned her a promotion to the rank of Celestian. At first Darana was honored for the new position but then discovered that her new role would be to act as a bodyguard to her Palatine. This meant she would rarely see front line combat. She felt bored and unfulfilled until Inquisitor Kingston contacted her again. She left her post without giving a second thought, not even bothering to tell her squad mates or her Palatine that she was leaving.

Up until that desertion, Sister Darana was held in high esteem by her superiors and the Order. However her former squad-mates would paint an image of a Sister Darana who was vain, annoying to be around, and believed that the "Rule of the Sororitas" was more of a guideline than solid rules on how a Battle Sister to act, especially in combat.

What do you consider worth dying for?
"This stays between you and me right? Ok. Back on Pillar, we were taught that humans are plentiful but the relics we protect are one of a kind. That the sacrifice of a million of the faithful is worth what ever old piece of tech a Primarch once used or the thigh bone of a obscure saint. I never believed that. Human are unique. There will never be another you, me, or the men who tend to this ship. And their all worth protecting. Without them there is no church or Imperium. Our job should be to protect each and every one that we can so that they will never have to witness just what is waiting for us on the other side of the warp.

What about the current state of the galaxy scares you most?
"Again, between you and me? Look, I love the Emperor. When I was a Novice still I fell into a very dark place where I felt I was all alone. I turned to him not just for guidance but a lifeline. And he answered. For that night I will serve him until the day I am called to his side. But...I look around at some of the Emperor's other servants and...Can you make me a promises? Right now? If I ever plan to take the life of an innocent because I felt they weren't praying hard enough, I want you to kill me. Before I hurt someone.

quote:

Name: Sister Darana Tane
Archetype: Sister of Battle
Keywords: Imperium, Adeptus Ministorum, Adepta Sororitas, Order Of The Radiant Spear
Background: Accomplishment: Champion of the Emperor: Sister Darana defeated a power Champion of Slaanesh on the world of Dewna 5 (Influence +1)

Defense: 2 Resilience: 5 Armor: 5 Soak: 4
Speed: 6 Shock: 8 Wounds: 7/3

Conviction: 5 Corruption: 3
P. Awareness: 3 Resolve: 4

Influence: 6 Wealth: 3

Attributes:

Strength 4/6 (+ 2 for Power Armor)
Agility 3
Toughness 4
Intellect 3
Willpower 5
Fellowship 4
Initiative 3

Skills:

Athletics: 3 (7)
Awareness: 3 (6)
Ballistic Skill: 4 (7)
Cunning: 0 (4)
Deception: 4 (8)
Insight: 3 (7)
Intimidation: 2 (7)
Investigation: 3 (6)
Leadership: 2 (7)
Medicae: 0 (3)
Persuasion: 4 (8)
Pilot: 0 (3)
Psychic Mastery: 0 (5)
Scholar: 2 (5)
Stealth: 0 (3)
Survival: 2 (6)
Tech: 0 (3)
Weapon Skill: 5 (8)

Abilities/Traits:
-Purity of Faith: Darana and her allies within 15 meters and line of sight add +Rank to Corruption tests. Darana also gains +Rank to any dice pool to resist psychic powers and effects.
-Counterstrike: Darana may strike back if attacked in melee.

Wargear: Chaplet Ecclesiasticus, Sororitas Power Armour, Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Sororitas vestments, writing kit, copy of the Rule of the Sororitas.

Trinket A tattered flag showing an Ork emblem of an infamous Freebooter Kaptin.

Tier 2 XP: 200
Sister of Battle: 40
Tier 2 Pre-Assigned Attributes: 94
Persuasion 4: 10
Weapon Skill 4: 10
Ballistic Skill 4: 10
Athletics 3: 6
Awareness 3: 6
Deception 3: 6
Scholar 2: 3
Investigation 2: 3
Intimidation 2: 3
Survival 2: 3
Insight 3: 6

Tier 3 XP: 100
Stay The Course: 30
Weapon Skill 5: 10
Counterstrike: 30
Willpower 5: 23
Deception 4: 4
Leadership 2: 3

Stay The Course Tier 3
Keyword: None, +1 Influence
Corruption: +3
Wargear: Power Sword (Replacing Chain Sword), Plasma Pistol (Replacing Bolt Pistol)

Edit: Ok, Seriously. I got it this time. I think this should be the last time I edit this sheet.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 3, 2018

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Dak'ir, Salamander Techmarine

Dak'ir has had a few run-ins with Inquisitor Kingston in the past, back when the man had a few less cybernetics. They were never friends, and Dak'ir did not approve of Kingston's methods, but he still respected the Inquisitor for his zeal in fighting Chaos. It felt like every time Dak'ir heard any rumors about the Inquisitor, Kingston was invariably embroiled in a high-stakes conflict with countless lives at stake. So when the Salamander techmarine received Kingston's summons, he set out for Baal without delay.

It's strange how centuries of fighting the enemies of mankind can make you accept the status quo, almost to the point of becoming complacent. Then the Great Rift happened, and there was a real chance of losing half the drat galaxy all at once. The Indomitus Crusade bought time, but there was still much to be done just to bring the Imperium back to the previous status quo. Dak'ir has sworn not to make the same mistake, however, and will not be satisfied with just putting things back to how they were. Dak'ir will not rest until the Empire of Mankind has been reforged stronger than it's been in millennia, even if that means he has to accept Kingston's suggestion of working with the xenos. The old ritual site on Mitoch'ja may not be actively dangerous yet, but nothing associated with Chaos was ever harmless, and should be stamped out immediately. Besides, Kingston wouldn't send a Space Marine on this mission unless he felt certain that something dangerous was just out of sight.

quote:

Name: Dak'ir
Species: Adeptus Astartes
Archetype: Tactical Marine
Keywords: Imperium, Adeptus Astartes, Salamander
Background: Goal: Pave the Way to a Slightly Brighter Future

Defense: 3 Resilience: 5 Armor: 5 Soak: 4
Speed: 7 Shock: 7/7 Wounds: 7/7

Conviction: 4 Corruption: 0
P. Awareness: 4 Resolve: 4

Influence: 5 Wealth: 3

Attributes:

Strength 3 (4)
Agility 3 (4)
Toughness 3 (4)
Intellect 4
Willpower 4
Fellowship 4
Initiative 4

Skills:
Athletics 2
Awareness 3
Ballistic Skill 3
Insight 3
Leadership 3
Persuasion 3
Scholar 4
Tech 5
Weapon Skill 4

Talents:
Augmetic (Servo Arm)

Abilities/Traits:
Angel of Death - Add 1/2 Rank icons to successful attack against Mobs.
Space Marine Implants - Does not bleed, +1 bonus die if implants are useful.
Fire Born - +Rank bonus dice to Soak rolls against Fire or Melta damage.
Unyielding (Tradition) - After failing a Resolve test, GM gains 1 Ruin.
Tactical Versatility - After inflicting a critical hit, may roll twice and choose.

Wargear:
Aquila Power Armor (+3 bonus to Strength)
Boltgun
Bolt Pistol
Astartes Combat Knife
Frag Grenade x3
Krak Genade x3
Servo Arm
Trinket: A diadem from a feudal world, its perimeter decorated with xenos claws.

XP Spent: 300/300

Adeptus Astartes [50]
Tactical Marine [50]

Strength 3 [10]
Agility 3 [10]
Toughness 3 [10]
Intellect 4 [18]
Willpower 4 [18]
Fellowship 4 [18]
Initiative 4 [18]

Tech 5 [20]
Scholar 4 [10]
Weapon Skill 4 [10]
Ballistic Skill 3 [6]
Leadership 3 [6]
Insight 3 [6]
Persuasion 3 [6]
Awareness 3 [6]
Athletics 2 [3]

Augmetic (Servo Arm) [25]

If possible, I'd like to swap out my boltgun, bolt pistol, and combat knife for a power sword and hand flamer. They have the same value, if not the same rarity.

Astus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 3, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Kind of tempted to make an Eldar. What's the feeling towards them in the Nihilus? Like- I can't realllllly imagine that there's a lot of 'bygones be bygones' floating around.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Sion posted:

Kind of tempted to make an Eldar. What's the feeling towards them in the Nihilus? Like- I can't realllllly imagine that there's a lot of 'bygones be bygones' floating around.

No there are not, but having an Inquisitorial Seal of Approval TM helps. A lot of the negative aspects of being an Eldar are going to be wrapped up in the +2DN to interaction tests with imperials from the Outsider special ability. , though there maybe times where bigotry comes to the fore. If the party splits up in a civilized area, I would suggest any eldar in the group to always be with one Imperial...

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hailing from the decrepit hive city Sinophia, Sky has all the bearing and poise of an underhive black hand. Sky survived life in the hive through equal measures of violence and charm. Preferring to kill coldly and contractually, Sky demonstrated a level of reason and disconnect rare in the criminal underclass. To him, it didn't matter what the target did or why, only that completing the job would get him one step closer to his final goal: leaving Sinophia. He had seen the upper hive on a job once, and even the well-off of the world were decaying and miserable. There was nothing for anyone on Sinophia and Sky was one of the few to realize it.

Sky has been working for Kingston longer than either of the two realized. As a young man Sky found employment with a guild of assassins operating in Sinophia's underbelly. The Inquisition utilized this network for several local operations, preferring not to involve themselves directly. Sky proved unusually capable, and was eventually poached by Kingston's retinue. Kingston called upon Sky to eliminate targets in the Undertow, the criminal syndicate ruling the underbelly of Sinophia, though Sky would not learn the identity of his patron until much later. After his promotion to the wider stage, Sky came to see exactly what was at stake should the agents of the Imperium waver.

Then they did, and the galaxy ripped itself in half.

Sky knows there's no running from this fight, and that a lot of people are going to die before it's over, but he knows Kingston is right - there is no greater threat to humanity. When put into stark contrast, the crazy thing to do would be run. Besides, it's not like he has much to go home to. In The Sinks - Sinophia's slums - you either worked yourself to death in the factorums and died young from glowlung, or, if you were lucky, a swift accident, or you lived by the gun and died a predictable death. Either way there would be several million tons of metal and people above you. Sky's most private fear is that he will fail, the void will consume humanity, and all of the pain and suffering he has endured to get out of the Sinks and off Sinophia will have been for naught, that the sum of his life will be no different than if he had rotted away in a prefab miles under a rotting city.

pre:
Name: 'Sky' Breneman
Archetype: Scum
Keywords: Scum Imperium
Background: Origin - Hive World (+3 Shock)

Defense: 3	Resilience: 4	Soak: 3
Speed:   6	Shock:    9/9	Wounds: 6/6

Conviction:   3	    Corruption: 3
P. Awareness: 3	       Resolve: 2

Influence:    7 	Wealth:	3

Attributes:

Strength	3
Agility		5
Toughness	3
Intellect	3
Willpower	3
Fellowship	4
Initiative	4

Skills:
             Rank + Attribute
Athletics       2 + 3         =  5
Awareness       3 + 3         =  6
Ballistic Skill 5 + 5         = 10
Cunning         1 + 4         =  5
Deception       4 + 4         =  8
Insight         4 + 4         =  8
Intimidation    2 + 3         =  5
Investigation   2 + 3         =  5
Leadership      0 + 4         =  4
Medicae         1 + 3         =  4
Persuasion      4 + 4         =  8
Pilot           1 + 5         =  6
Psychic Mastery 0 + 3         =  3
Scholar         0 + 3         =  3
Stealth         1 + 5         =  6
Survival        0 + 3         =  3
Tech            2 + 3         =  5
Weapon Skill    5 + 4         =  9

Talents:
Trademark Weapon <Handcannon>

Abilities/Traits:
Scrounger: Gangers make use of every available resource, and have a knack for "finding" spares.
They receive +Rank to Cunning tests, and may make a single retroactive Influence test with a
bonus of +Rank once per session, representing an item that they had prepared in advance.

Forwent Keyword <ANY> in favor of +1 Influence

Wargear:
Handcannon (with bling)
Knife
bedroll
canteen
Body Glove (AP2)
Subdermal Armor (+1 AP)

XP:
109 Attributes
92  Skills
30  Ascension (tier 1 to 3)
    - 3 Corruption
    - Body Glove
    - Subdermal Armour (+1 AP)
3   Silencer
7   Master Crafted (hand cannon) (+2d on attacks)
3   Percussive Muzzle Loader (hand cannon) (+1 Salvo)
30  Trademark Weapon (hand cannon) (+Rank ED with weapon)
26  Augmetic - Reticle Eye (+1d to Ballistic Tests)

300/300 spent

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 1, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Hi again, just making sure I did character creation right. We are also suppose to take a Ascension Package as well if were making an archtype from a lower tier?

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Rylleth Elessar, Void Dragon Corsair

"I recall encountering Inquisitor Kingston out beyond the Segmentum Obscuris when he was a much younger man. We came upon a Chaos fleet at the same moment, which impressed me to say the least, a Mon-Keigh being capable of hunting as proficiently as the Aeldari. When the Great Enemy's pawns had been dispatched with, in our post-cataclysmic euphoria, our two fleets briefly sparred. Only a skirmish of circumstance of course. It was perhaps even a mark of bravery that he was willing to turn on a new enemy when his ships were so badly damaged. It's addictive, those brilliant lances of light rending ships apart in the void, but each of us came to our proper senses before undue damage was inflicted. We parted as good-natured rivals I believe, and for years afterwards we played a complex game of spirits and spiders throughout the space lanes, each taking turn hunting the other.

"I was disappointed when his duties were drawn elsewhere and brought our game to an end. Imagine my flattery when, in the Segmentum Nihilus' hour of need, I received word of an invitation to join him on Baal. The Rhada Dandra says that Fuegan will call the other Phoenix Lords to him and begin the End of Times, when Ynnead will unmake the universe. Until such a time comes to be I have devoted myself to annihilating the agents of the Great Enemy. I will not turn away allies in my quest, even ones of desperation, for these are desperate time indeed. The Rift is only the preamble to the Enemy's next assault, and I wish to be at the tip of the lance which repels them.

"This galaxy is full of fears, those which I see during my dreams as much an any other's. The only way to vanquish your fears though is to do battle with them. My kindred have forgotten that. They hide in their Craftworlds like corpses in a mausoleum, pretending at a past they never knew. I refuse. I will not lie down and be complicit in our anathema's victory. I will meet my enemy and send what remains of their soul screaming back into the Warp, or they will send mine, and when I arrive I will face the Defiler myself. My death only brings Ynnead's awakening one moment closer."

Rylleth is a brash and belligerent corsair enamored with the Rhada Dandra and the birth of Ynnead. He thinks of himself as a true inheritor of the Eldar spirit: Psychically gifted, hedonistic, and wrothful towards his enemies.

pre:
Name: Rylleth Elessar
Species: Eldar
Archetype: Corsair
Keywords: Aeldari, Anhrathe, Twilight Swords, Psyker
Background: Ynnari (+3 Shock)

Aeldari Objective: Call upon one of the gods of the Eldar as you accomplish a 
difficult task or defeat an enemy.

Defense: 3	Resilience: 8  	Soak:     4
Speed:   8	Shock:  10/10   Wounds: 7/7

P. Awareness: 3	       Resolve: 3

Influence:    3 	Wealth:	3

Attributes:

Strength	3
Agility		5
Toughness	4
Intellect	4
Willpower	4
Fellowship	2
Initiative	4

Skills:

Athletics       3 (+Rank)
Awareness       4
Ballistic Skill 4
Intimidation    4 (+1D)
Investigation   3
Pilot           4
Psychic Mastery 4 (+1D)
Scholar         3
Stealth         4
Survival        3
Tech            2

Psychic Powers:

Psychic Scream
Terrify
Smite
Fortune
Chameleon
Voices

Abilities/Traits:

Outsider: +2DN to all Interaction tests with those with the Keyword <Imperium>.

Intense Emotion: +1DN to all Resolve tests. Failing a Willpower-based test in a scene
involving intense emotion grants the GM +1 Ruin.

Psychosensitive: The Tier Restriction for Maximum Psychic Powers for Eldar Characters
is increased by 1.

Dancing on the Blade’s Edge: Corsairs get +Rank to the Athletics Attack and get the same 
bonus for resisting those attacks. Corsairs suffer a +1DN penalty to any Fear test.

Memorable Scar: Battle Scar. +1D to Intimidation checks.

Wargear: 

Corsair armour
Shuriken pistol
Lasblaster
Fusion gun
Spirit stone
Void suit
Psychic focus
3 plasma grenades
Stale Rations (Trinket)

XP:

300/300
10  Eldar
115 Attributes
87  Skills
20  Psychic Revelations
--  Fortune
--  Smite
15  Terrify
10  Psychic Scream
8   Chameleon
5   Voices
30  Stay the Course
--  Fusion Gun
--  Psychic Focus

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 30, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

BigRed0427 posted:

Hi again, just making sure I did character creation right. We are also suppose to take a Ascension Package as well if were making an archtype from a lower tier?

I don't know that you have to, but you probably should - lower tier archetypes operate at a lower power level than higher and the extra gear helps offset that. Your BP calculations are off anyway - the tier 3 attribute array comes to 133, not 126. It's in the errata.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

I don't know that you have to, but you probably should - lower tier archetypes operate at a lower power level than higher and the extra gear helps offset that. Your BP calculations are off anyway - the tier 3 attribute array comes to 133, not 126. It's in the errata.

Argh. Ok I'll go back and fix that.

So I should build her as a tier 2 character then rank up to 3?

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Argh. Ok I'll go back and fix that.

So I should build her as a tier 2 character then rank up to 3?

You should join the Discord. You'll be able to have your questions answered more quickly and it won't fill up the recruitment thread.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Senior Acolyte Lauren "Recklass" Andser
Inquisitorial Brat

Lauren Andser was born into a life of great dichotomies - her father is an Interrogator of the Inquisition. His words carry the weight of the Lord Inquisitor which he serves, and so almost any resource or want was available to her. However, her actual existence was spartan, harsh and full of trials to test and push her to excel. She was born into the Inquisition, and there was never any doubt about what her path in life would be. Still, the thought of spiriting herself away to join the Imperial Guard, becoming just another soldier rather than bearing the terrible weight of truth on her shoulders has constantly nagged at the back of her mind.

However she has emerged as a promising young acolyte and a worthy part of the Inquisition in her own right. And despite her harsh upbringing, there is real love between herself and her father. She had always tried to live up to his expectations - and in many ways succeeded when her acolyte team tracked and located a major force of Chaos Mercenaries calling themselves the Golden Talon. Although her right arm was permanently scoured by warpfire, they managed to destroy most of the mercenary force and scatter the rest. For this action she was promoted to Senior Acolyte and allowed to act more independently and pursue her own investigations without direct oversight. In the days of the Old Imperium such a thing would've been unthinkable - but in the desperate age of the Dark Imperium there is less concern about exposing the existence of presence of the Inquisition to the galaxy.

It was during this time that Lauren first made contact with Inquisitor Kingston, pursuing evidence of a Tzeentch cult burying its roots deep into an Imperial world. For his part, Inquisitor Kingston appreciated her direct and unflinching method eradicating the cultists in front of her, and for her part she began to learn the finer arts of the independent investigation. It was because of this relationship, and a shared interest in eliminating the forces of chaos wherever they may raise their head, that led to Lauren dropping her personal investigations and answering the call, trusting that Inquisitor Kingston would send such a request if there was not good cause.

Lauren was raised on stories of the Emperor and his faithful. However in this Dark Imperium it seems like the Emperor's light is far away, while the forces of the great enemy grow ever more numerous. It is this fear, that the light of the Emperor will go out completely and humanity will be left alone and in darkness, that frightens her most. Not even a Primarch could hope to replace the Emperor. In many ways this fear about the state of the galaxy is also a fear about herself - worrying that slowly and surely, her own faith will fail her and she will fall into temptation and madness.

Lauren would die before she lets a cult corrupt a planet to Chaos. She would die with a smile on her face, so long as she took a few of the Great Enemy with her. In this age of darkness, Chaos must be faced with all fervor, and the faithful must be protected as the precious bastion against oblivion that they are. The souls of the faithful must be defended, no matter the cost.

----------
Lauren Andser has through her investigations set up a new recruitment program to train and equip new Inquisitorial Storm Troopers to replace the grievous losses suffered during the Rift and the following crusades. Currently these are little more than well equipped conscripts, but in time their training and experience will match the storm troopers of old (Fluff justification for Devotees).

pre:
Name: Senior Acolyte Lauren 'Recklass' Andser 
Archetype: Acolyte
Ascension Package: Stay the Course
Keywords: Imperium, Inquisition, Ordo Malleus, (+2 Influence from <Any> Keywords)
Background: Accomplishment (+1 Influence)
Languages: Eldar, Low Gothic

Agents of the Imperium Objectives: Current Roll (3)
Display a symbol of your authority, and use 
it to firmly establish your position
in an interaction with another NPC.

Defense: 5	Resilience:6(9) Soak: 5*
Speed:   6	Shock:    8/8	Wounds: 8/8

Conviction:   5	    Corruption: 0
P. Awareness: 3	       Resolve: 4

Influence:    9 	Wealth:	3

Attributes:

Strength	2
Agility		2
Toughness	5
Intellect	3
Willpower	5
Fellowship	3
Initiative	6

Skills:
             Rank + Attribute
Athletics       2 + 2         =  4
Awareness       2 + 3         =  5
Ballistic Skill 0 + 2         =  2
Cunning         0 + 3         =  3
Deception       0 + 3         =  3
Insight         5 + 3         =  8
Intimidation    5 + 5 (+1)    =  11
Investigation   3 + 3         =  6
Leadership      4 + 3         =  7
Medicae         0 + 3         =  3
Persuasion      4 + 3         =  7
Pilot           0 + 3         =  3
Psychic Mastery 0 + 5         =  5
Scholar         3 + 3         =  6
Stealth         0 + 3         =  3
Survival        0 + 5         =  5
Tech            3 + 3         =  6
Weapon Skill    4 + 6         =  10

Talents:
Devotees 

Abilities/Traits:

Devotees: 
The character has attracted a mob of Troops
as devotees (see Troops on page 404); these
devotees equal 2+Rank in number. The devotees
follow them everywhere, and are always willing
to offer their assistance. The devotees have any
necessary dice pools at the character’s Rank+1
and all attributes equal the hero’s Rank, subject
to GM discretion. They attempt to follow their
master everywhere, including instances where
this might not be convenient. In the event their
master is attacked, they attempt to intervene. A
character with devotees may make a Challenging
(3) Initiative test as a free action any time an
attack damages them. On a success, the attack
kills a devotee instead, and the character suffers
no damage. This works for area effect weapons
as well, assuming the devotee has imposed their
body between the attack and the character. Slain 
devotees may be replaced for free with new
devotees the next time the character visits a
major encampment or city

Inquisitorial Decree: Once per scene, an
Inquisitorial Acolyte may invoke the name of
their Inquisitor to gain +Rank to an Influence or
Interaction Skill test involving a being with the
Imperium keyword.

Memorable Injury: Right hand/arm burned by
warpfire during the annihilation of a major 
Golden Talon chaos mercenary force. 

Ordo Malleus: The character gains +2 bonus dice for any
Scholar or Investigation tests related to daemons and 
the warp.

Wargear:
Plasma Pistol
Hand Flamer
Refractor Field 
Symbol of Authority
Flak armour
Knife
Unfilled Imperial Guard volunteer forms 

XP:
Initiative : 51 
Toughness : 33 
Willpower : 33 
Intellect : 10
Fellowship : 10 
Strength : 4
Agility : 4
Skills : 94 (x2->5, x3->4, x3->3, x2->2)
Devotees : 30 
Ascension Package (Stay the Course, +influence) : 30
Eldar (Language) : 1 
300/300 spent

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 2, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Zadkiel, 'The Youngblood', Tactical Marine, Squad Berus, 5th Company 'Daemonbane', Blood Angels

Back when Zadkiel - his original name all but forgotten - joined the Blood Angels, he didn't even know about the wider galaxy. As a Scout Marine, handy with both blade and bolder, he did not put much thought into how precarious Warp Travel was. He did, however, get seconded to Inquisitor Martin Kingston of Ordo Malleus. The esteemed investigator wanted some inconspicuous muscle to back one of his investigating cells. Easily passing as a gene-wrought gladiator-guard, he accompanied the acolytes to uncover demonic plot in the midst of high society. In the end, he had to rally his cell, some household guard troops and a squad of bewildered Adeptus Arbites to punch through a mansion of crazed cultist to a ritual chamber, where they disrupted a ritual. Only the timely intervention by Kingston saved Zadkiel from the demons that had been summoned, thus earning the Blood Angel's respect for the Inquisitor - and a new-found appreciation of the thread posed by the Enemy Beyond.

Zadkiel returned to Baal just shortly before the invasion of Hive Fleet Leviathan. It wasn't long before he was promoted to a full Marine to replace innitial loses. His brother in squad Berus thus called him 'The Youngblood', as Zadkiel had yet to prove himself in Assault Marine and Devastator roles. However, he fought valiantly and skillfully, lending his bolter to support his more experienced squadmates that had been entrusted with specialist weapons. In the midst of fighting against the Tyranids, Zadkiel reclaimed a chainsword from fallen Marine from the Brothers of Jarad chapter. The Sergeant remarked that he showed promise with the blade and that it was a shame that none of them would live to see him blossom into a legend.

And even if he was ready to accept the end, Zadkiel was shocked, like many, when the great rift appeared and the daemonic masses engulfed Baal. The fact that the Empyrean invaders so brazenly destroyed the star spawned horrors that inflicted such devastation on the Sons of Sanguinious troubled Zadkiel even after Indomitus crusade had come and gone. Thus he spoke to anyone who would listen about the thread of the daemon, but a single Tactical Marine's voice doesn't carry that far.

Thus he was more than happy to go on the mission once the Inquisitor Kingston sent him a message. Yes, Baal needed rebuilding, many artworks had to be recovered and restored, and mournful stories of desperate heroics were to be recorded in stone, velum and hololith. But nothing troubled Zadkiel as much as the Daemonic. He had once commended his soul to the Emperor when defending Baal; now, he had a chance to actively pursue the true enemy - and not some intergalactic bug swarm - and that seemed an even worthier service. The Inquisitor had risked his life before to save Zadkiel, the Acolytes and the Imperium from the daemon; now it's time for the Youngblood to do the same.

pre:
Name: Zadkiel
Species: Astartes
Archetype: 
Keywords: Imperium, Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels
Background: Feral World (+3 Shock)

Defense: 4	Resilience: 5 	Soak: 4
Speed: 7  	Shock:  10  	Wounds: 7

Conviction:  4 	    Corruption: 0
P. Awareness: 3	       Resolve: 4

Influence:  5  	Wealth:	3

Attributes:

Strength  3 
Agility  3
Toughness  3 
Intellect  4
Willpower  4
Fellowship  4
Initiative  5

Skills:    Rank + Attribute
Ballistic  3     +   4   =   7
Weapon  4      +   5   =   9
Athletics  2      +   4   =   6
Insight  2     +    4   =   6
Leadership  3      +   4   =   7
Persuasion   2      +   4   =   6
Awareness   2      +   4    =    6
Scholar   2      +    4   =    6

Talents:
Hammerblow 20

Abilities/Traits:
Angel of Death: Space Marines add +1/2 Rank
icons to any successful attack against a Mob.

Honour the Chapter: You are subject to the orders
of your chapter master, and must honor both the
beliefs and traditions of your chapter.

Space Marine Implants: Space Marines do not
bleed. Space Marines gain +1 bonus dice as a
situational modifier to any test if the Game Master
deems it appropriate for one of the 19 implants.

Blood Frenzy: When attacking in melee combat, a
Blood Angels Space Marine may reroll up to Rank
damage dice on every attack.

The Red Thirst (Gene-seed): After engaging
in melee combat, Blood Angels must pass a
Willpower test (DN 3). On a failure, the Blood
Angels Space Marine feels a strong urge to drink
the blood of the fallen—the player may choose
how to respond to this urge. If the failure involves
a complication, the Blood Angels Space Marine
may not resist this urge. The Game Master may
alter the DN based on how long it has been since
the character has tasted blood.

Tactical Versatility: 
When making a critical hit, they may draw two
Wrath Cards and choose one (if using the Critical
Chart, make two rolls and pick one).

Wargear:
MK IV Maximus power armour
Astartes MK Vb Godwyn pattern bolter
Mk. VI Redemptor pattern Chainsword
Umbra pattern bolt pistol
3 frag grenades
3 krak grenades
A bottle of finest amasec brewed on a
world lost on the far side of the Great
Rift.

XP:
50 Astartes
50 Tactical Marine 
135 Attributes
37 Skill
20 Talent: Hammerblow 
5 Chainsword
3 Dueling Grip

300/300 spent
Trinket rolls: 1d6, 1d66

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, going to close recruit tomorrow after work ( 5p.m. CST) and make my picks shortly after, so if there is anyone who has been following the thread but hasn't apped now would be the time. Then I'll get the OP up early next week, say Tuesday or Wednesday.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Illic "Goldeneye"

"I'm a bit of an amateur treasure-hunter."

Who wouldn't want to interact with a dashing rogue like me? Just like any other customer, he's had reason to call on me to retrieve some trinket or bauble. Plunder, steal, or even buy, I always get what I'm after.
I was bored. I like to help out a good customer. Business is slow. Someone incinerated most of my usual customers and smashed up everything they could get their hands on.
Turns out, even here in the Dark Imperium, there's still a lot of Ordo Xenos Puritans. The kind of person who'd like to top of their collection of roasted Aeldari-wanabees with the real thing.
Nothing. I've looked, and I haven't found anything. Oh, I could say "the glorious Aeldari race", or "peace and love in the galaxy", but really, what good is one more corpse going to do, even if it'd be a beautiful one?
pre:
Name:		Illic “Goldeneye”
Species:	Eldar
Archetype:	Corsair
Tier:		I
Keywords:	Aeldari, Anhrathe, Coterie:Frost Shepherds, Cold Trader
Background:	Explored the Webways (+1 Influence)
Objective:	D3 Roll Result
	1. Unfavourably evaluate a facet of another species against Eldar culture, technology, or art.
	2. Call upon one of the gods of the Eldar as you accomplish a difficult task or defeat an enemy.
	3. Reminisce upon the traditions of an Eldar Craftworld, and compare it to the current situation.

Shock:		4	Wounds:	4
Defense:	2	Resilience:	4	Soak:	3
Speed:		8

Conviction:	3	Corruption:	0
P. Awareness:	2	Resolve:	2

Influence:	8	Wealth:	3

Languages:	Eldar, High & Low Gothic

Attributes:
Strength	3	3
Agility		7	6+1
Toughness	3	3
Intellect	3	3
Willpower	3	3
Fellowship	6	6
Initiative	3	3

Skills:	
12	6+6	Cunning
06	3+3	Awareness
10	3+7	Ballistic Skill
12	6+6	Stealth
05	2+3	Athletics
09	3+6	Persuasion
09	3+6	Insight
12	5+7	Pilot
07	1+6	Deception

Talents:

Abilities/Traits:
Outsider:
	+2DN to all Interaction tests with those with the Keyword <Imperium>.
Intense Emotion:
	+1DN to all Resolve tests. Failing a Willpower-based test in a scene involving intense emotion grants the GM +1 Ruin.
Psychosensitive:
	All Eldar may purchase 1 Minor Psychic Power if they also purchase the Psychic Mastery skill.
	This purchase also gives them the Psyker keyword.
	In addition, the Tier Restriction for Maximum Psychic Powers for Eldar Characters is increased by 1 to accommodate this purchase.
Dancing on the Blade’s Edge:
	+Rank to Persuasion Interaction Attacks and get the same bonus for resisting those same attacks.
	Corsairs suffer a +1DN penalty to any Fear test.
Memorable Injury:
	Battle Scar	+1D Intimidation

Wargear:
Corsair armour
Shuriken pistol
Lasblaster
Spirit stone
3 plasma grenades
Void suit
Eyes of the Crone:	
	Night’s Eye:	Preysense Goggles
	Telescopic:	No Penalties to Awareness Tests Based on Distance

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 5, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay everyone. This was really a hard decision. I got a pretty good group of applicants, and with 11 completed apps, cutting it down to six players meant having to turn down almost half of you. I took into account skills of the party, but also wanted to set up some intra-party intrigue with a mix of xenos, radicals, and more puritanical types. I mean poo poo, when I saw I had a Salamander, you know the chapter that invaded Commorragh, and some eldar (even if they aren't dark kin) I had to do something.

So anyway, without further delay, here are the choices, in order of application:

Gregori the Merciful-firebrand of the Ministorum,played by Dachshundofdoom
Karnera Uthel-Warlock of Craftworld Ulthwe, played by Tricky
Lyta Hatcher- Inquisitorial Adept and Eldarboo, played by Jolinaxas
Dak'ir-Salamander Tech-Marine and not a fan of xenos,played by Astus
Sky Breneman-unsavory Gunslinger,played by Clanpot Shake
Senior Acolyte Lauren Andser, recipient of so much nepotism,played by professor_curly

Okay, so as I indicated, OP will likely go up sometime early to mid next week. In the meantime, I want everyone to do the time honored tradition of posting in character impressions of the other applicants. Maybe some of you have had some run-ins before, maybe you haven't. Use this to set the tone you will have (at least initially) towards your fellow acolytes.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
From the Holy Chronicle of Gregori Vyvias (autobiographical)

Thought for the day: Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die. Important words indeed in this time of madness and evil. I must keep faith that all proceeds according to the Emperor's Will for mankind, even as I am forced to consort with xenos and individuals of... dubious faith.

First, we have Kaenera Uthel, the vile xeno psyker! My eviscerator twitches with righteous indignation every time she passes. As I said, the xenos and psykers that stand by mankind's side in this time of darkness have earned themselves a temporary stay of execution. Still, to see something which is both xeno and witch... it grates at my nerves. Can we really trust a duplicitous Eldar, especially one that bears the full taint of the Warp?

On the subject of the Aeldari, Lyta Hatcher, scholar of xenos. Within the Ecclesiarchy (and indeed, throughout the Imperium), there is often tension between the need to know thine enemy and the need to shield oneself from dark knowledge that can taint your faith in the Emperor. There is no simple way to draw the line, and there is no way to know how far is too far before the darkness seizes your heart. I hope the loss of her arm has shown her where her own line lies. If not, I will be ready.

But among all this darkness, praise be, a light! Dak'ir, one of the Emperor's Angels of Death! Admittedly, finding out that he was an adherent of the Machine Cult was... distressing. But nevertheless, the faith and fury of the Salamanders is beyond question, and my heart swells with pride at the thought of serving by his side!

Next, the criminal, 'Sky" Breneman. For all I know that is his actual first name, and yet I swear I can hear the quotation marks whenever it's said. Regardless, his unsavory talents have been put to good use for the Emperor, and yet I can't help but view any of his ilk with suspicion. The suffering of the lower classes is a harsh test of faith; some are tempered, but others break. We shall have to see if there are any cracks in him.

And finally, Lauren Andser, the brave but young Acolyte. Something about that name puts my teeth on edge, but I can't place it. Was there some famous psyker with that name? And yet, Lauren bears no sign of the witch's taint, which is so often passed down... Well, it's probably just a coincidence, or my memory fails me. In any case, her courage is unimpeachable. With any luck, she, the Salamander, and myself can keep the rest of these reprobates and heretics in line.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

An Unlabeled Video Cassette
found in abaondoned Inquisitorial Archives

Sky Breneman sits with his hands on the table in front of him in front of a blank rockcrete wall. The video is framed to only show his face and torso and does not move. He looks bored. "You've met the priest known as Gregori 'the Merciful'. What do you make of him?" A voice from off camera says.

Sky sniffs, and then answers, "Madman, if you ask me. You seen that look in his eyes when he gets going? That gleam of... enjoyment? of being justified? being right? Every mad cultist and would-be messiah that I've put down has had that exact same look. Now if you guys say he's on the team then he's on the team and I'll bite my tongue and make the sign of the aquila or whatever the gently caress to keep his eyes from turning my way, but you're fools if you don't count him as a liability." He makes a face like he has nothing more to say of the man.

The shuffle of papers, and then the voice again, "Moving on, Kaenera Uthel, the Aeldari. Unusual ally, wouldn't you say?"

Sky laughs, "Ha! Now she's a spooky one! Eldar, psyker as I understand, and very, very driven." Sky thinks for a moment, then, in a lower voice, "Don't let Gregori hear this, but she and I agree on a lot regarding matters of galactic importance, if you take my meaning. Maybe that's an un-pious thing to be, agreeing with a xeno, but here we are. I was always more of a pragmatist." He seems finished, but a thought occurs to him, "Plus her sword is fuckin' cool."

The sound of scratching on paper from behind the camera, "And... Adept Lyta Hatcher..."

"Bookish," he answers with a shrug, "No other word. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me, the effort she puts into reading, day in and day out, and writing those bricks she calls 'preliminary findings'." He frowns and shakes his head, "Ain't nobody got time for that." Then, with another shrug, "Still, I guess every team needs one. One of these days I'll figure out why."

"Tell us your thoughts on Astartes Dak'ir of the Salamanders," the voice intones.

"The walking tank?" Sky asks with a chuckle, "What's to think of him? He's an 'angel of The Emperor'" When this answer does not appear to suffice, Sky reluctantly continues, "Look, he's driven, dedicated, whatever, and if I had to pick one of these guys to put between me and a raving cultist, yeah, it'd be him, but the guy's got no loving sense of humor." Sky sits back and crosses his arms.

"And what is your opinion of Lauren Andser, Senior Acolyte?" the voice off screen asks.

"Lauren? Girl's tough as nails, if y'ask me," Sky says with a shrug. "Yeah she's a blue blood, if an odd sorta one, bein' Inquisition instead of arstocrasy, but I got's a lot of respect for her. Mind you, she's never had to live true struggle, but I can't hold that against her on account of her growin' up knowing all the poo poo we got swirling in our heads now. I had my youth to harden me to this poo poo. Girl growin' up in it? drat miracle she's as normal as she is."

Sky looks around to what might be people in the room. "Is that all? Can I go now?" he asks. A voice, a different voice, answers, "There's just one more thing." The video cuts out.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
======][======
Senior Acolyte Lauren Andser
Personal Log: Entry 10,403
Ordo Malleus Team Assignment
Thought for the day: It's not wrong when =]I[= do it.
======][======

I have my assignment from IMK, this is a bigger operation than I was expecting. It was the correct decision to leave my investigation and join with him. I fully support this offensive against the infiltrating forces of chaos, and appreciate the scale of the operation. Emperor Willing we will have more success fighting this threat together than we have had working alone.

The cell I have been assigned to though... I'm honestly not sure if this is going to work. I feel as though I'm going to need to keep this team... on task, which I am not looking forward to. Even by the standards we live in, this is an eclectic group. I doubt even my father could have dreamed this up.

First is Gregori "the Merciful" who... Well, I will never say anything against the faithful. However his fervor, though admirable, might be ill-suited to the task at hand. I don't think subtlety is going to be a possibility with him around. I suppose objectively, I don't have too much room to talk, however... The real problem isn't with him, so much as the rest of the team. I trust IMK but I don't see how this is going to end well when combined with the next member of the team.

An Eldar. An eldar called... Karnera Uthel. I am personally fine with the alien's presence. I will finally be able to see who was right between my father and uncle. Papa always said that the Eldar are infuriating but fundamentally reliable allies against Chaos. Uncle Macavoy, well, he said the only thing the knife-eared bastards were good for was target practice. I suppose we will see. I don't trust the alien, but we are joined by a common enemy and I feel slight comfort in the Eldar being within my vision than I would them acting behind the scenes. However I wonder if this is going to even be possible. Gregori is a fanatic, and we even have a space marine in our cadre. I feel as though I am going to have to keep the peace... Perhaps this is how papa felt in those stories?

At least I won't be alone as a voice of reason. I... hope, at least. Lyta Hatcher is Inquisition through and through. A scholar - although I hope for all our sake she can concentrate on the task at hand and not be distracted by the presence of our eldar companion. If nothing else it is nice to have a more moderate voice alongside mine.

I've never encountered a space marine, not in a working relationship. I have always moved in the shadows more tangential to the movements of the astartes, but if nothing else the presence of Dak'ir will be a boon should we need assistance from the mechanicus. I have heard good things about the Salamanders, but I again question the wisdom of placing an eldar in a group with the space marine. Both are known to live long lives - lives that extend back before the Rift, when things were very different. Do we set aside those old grudges, or does this experiment self-destruct with our mission incomplete?

The final member of the party is Sky Breneman, a gunslinger and mercenary. Personally, I already trust him more than anyone else in our little crew. I know where he stands, and that means we can work together. A pragmatist that will get the job done is what is necessary, and with his help the orthodox and unorthodox members of our group might be kept in check. At least until we accomplish our task.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Transcriber's Notes: This pict-cast file appears to be from the first-person view of Acolyte Hatcher - most likely from the auspex implants mentioned in her personnel file, and takes place in an area unfamiliar to me. Perhaps these quarters were in some sort of staging area previous to the related mission, previously designated MJ13.

While considerations of individuals follow, I note a general intensity and conviction among the entire assembled retinue. At least according to what I've been able to hear and research.

Of course, I simply must start with Kaenera Uthel - or I suppose I should append Warlock to that when speaking to her. The Aeldari are very conscious of their place in their own society, right? She appears to follow similar conventions to other subjects of study, including these mysterious unbidden visions. Their veracity is not entirely guaranteed, of course - given the vagaries of the Warp. At any rate, I look forward to increasing the Ordo Xenos' knowledge base about her species and its culture substantially.

If Gregori allows me any sort of interviews, that is. His demeanor and actions indicate a very reli- no, zealous would be a better word. A very zealous mindset. A "Fear the Alien" mindset. And fear is, after all, borne of a lack of knowledge and understanding about the subject, in many cases a willful lack. Will he enforce his ignorance on me and future generations to satisfy his pretexts? Surely there is at least a small degree of laxity, given that he agreed to be here at all?

I don't know what to make of Dak'ir. His particular chapter is traditionally known for its relative compassion and well, humanity when compared to most - if not all - others. And yet at as a orthodox (if somewhat unconventional) agent of the Omnissiah, I fear he may be dissatisfied with certain... shortcuts and technological skills that I've had to learn over the years without much Mechanicus support. His martial might, on the other hand, will be much appreciated if the Inquisitor's hunch about Chaos activity is correct, especially given my own deficiency in that regard.

Both Sky Breneman and Lauren Andser are much less unpredictable. We three are past and present servants of the Inquisition, and the Ordos tend to appreciate talent, whether it be gained through enduring a poor environment or an effort to foster a legacy, respectively. Sky's files indicate a certain flexibility that we perhaps share, while Lauren's more grounded outlook and general air of authority will keep this rather disparate band an effective one.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Translated and transcribed from the personal logs of Kaenera Ulthel

Translator's note: The original prose was too florid for proper transcription to Low Gothic and some liberties have been taken.

"Gregori the Merciful reminds me of those most dedicated to the Path of the Warrior. There is no room for alliance, nor cooperation within his pathetic brain. Still, I trust the Inquisitor's judgment. If the task which lies before us requires a man of unfaltering conviction and, indeed, no critical thought... so be it."

"Lyta Hatcher is a curious counterpoint to Gregori. Where he hates without hesitation, in her I find no limit of curiosity. That is not to say that her attention is entirely flattering. There is no barrier in her mind between topics which I might converse about and those that prod at the innermost secrets of the Aeldari. Still, with some instruction on proper manners, she may well be one of the first to work to solidify the ongoing alliance between the Aeldari and the shattered Imperium of Man."

"Dak'ir. I have met many Space Marines on the field of battle, fields from which I emerged victorious. I know some of his sect's history with the Drukhari, but it is most evident that he does not consider the true nuance that separates those of the craftworlds from our dark brethren. I'd not trust him with my back, but I will trust that his mind for the battlefield will make him slightly more reliable than the fanatic. There will be time for a duel, should it come to that, when our debts have been paid."

"Sky Breneman reminds me of the corsairs. In her, I sense a lack of purpose and conviction, yet all the same she seems as dedicated as any I've met to the weapon she carries. I will keep an eye on her, of course, but I have hope that she'll prove more amenable to ongoing collaboration than others in this makeshift band. Our foes are many already. No sense in adding the numbers ever higher."

"Senior Acolyte Lauren Andser strikes me as an odd fit, even for a band such as this. She surrounds herself with a coterie of hangers-on, is defined by her predecessors, and yet still the Inquisitor has called her. Clearly there is something to her that I have missed. I will need to watch her carefully in the days to come to discover what it might be."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I like that Kaenera can't tell human males and females apart.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Definitely a solid bit of intentional characterization and not my inability to read, no sir! :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
From Salamander techmarine Dak'ir's self-meditation dataslate:

Gregori the Merciful: Zealous in hunting down the enemies of Mankind, yet seemingly is capable with working alongside the xeno if only due to his loyalty and trust for Inquisitor Kingston. Not much to improve, aside from perhaps his sense of self-preservation. Our mission is too important for any of us to throw away our lives too readily, and every injury inflicted on us gives our enemies time to catch their breath.

Kaenera Uthel: The xeno witch. For the sake of the mission, I will avoid setting her on fire. Her critical weakness is her sense of superiority and arrogance, but it is impossible for her kind to fix those faults. A flawed tool in our mission to stamp out Chaos, but Kingston believes her to be useful.

Lyta Hatcher: A member of the Inquisition, although it is unknown to me how much experience she has in eliminating the Imperium's enemies instead of learning about them. Knowing thy foe is useful, as it revels the enemy's weaknesses and blind spots, but her field of interest seems questionable at times. She has a way with the machine spirits, to the point I am uncertain if I have anything to teach her. Alternative way of tempering her: I shall outshine the xeno whenever possible, in order to make certain Lyta Hatcher understands that the xenos cannot hold a candle to the servants of the Emperor.

Sky Breneman: He is a reminder that even without genetic engineering or power armor, Humans are still capable of surviving, and occasionally even thriving, in the harshest or bleakest of circumstances. Has experience as an assassin for the Inquisition, and is an expert shot. He remains uncouth, however, and more than a bit cynical. Perhaps success in our mission shall help rebuild his faith. Teaching him proper etiquette seems doomed to failure, however.

Senior Acolyte Lauren Andser: Untempered and untested. Still, to be chosen by Kingston means she shows some promise. Her "Inquisitorial Storm Troopers" seem even less experienced than her, and may represent her lack of confidence in herself, or else her inability to teach. Both can be fixed in time, so I shall make sure she lives long enough to reforge herself in the trials to come.

• Locked thread