Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

chaosapiant posted:

So I’m thinking of picking up one of those classic city builder like Caesar. Is Caesar III the best one to go for, or should I go with the Egyptian or Japanese themed one?

I loved Caesar iv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

chaosapiant posted:

So I’m thinking of picking up one of those classic city builder like Caesar. Is Caesar III the best one to go for, or should I go with the Egyptian or Japanese themed one?

I like Zeus because you can start little colonies and then go back to your city, so you’re not starting from scratch every single time

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Iron Harvest AKA COH with mechs has an open beta going on. https://store.steampowered.com/app/826630/Iron_Harvest/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mordja posted:

Iron Harvest AKA COH with mechs has an open beta going on. https://store.steampowered.com/app/826630/Iron_Harvest/

The tutorial starts out very endearing, but then every mission after that you just get your teeth kicked in. Which I guess is true to the Polish experience during the World Wars.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Played a bit of Iron Harvest during the weekend. I did not follow or watch any of the early alpha press.

Impression:
The inspiration from CoH is obvious, but everything simply isn't as polished except for sound and voice acting. Basic infantry interaction isn't nearly as nuanced as CoH even though at the moment our basic infantry has SMG, shotgun, or rifle, very easy to make them distinguished right? Well, they didn't do a good job because the TTK is so long, weapon range is so short, any unit can simply walk up to another unit and start punching them without suffering significant damage.

Yes, unit can fight in melee, and it's not quite well implemented at the moment, both from the design and technical point of view. For some reason melee is triggered automatically, and some of the weapon range is so short if you are not actively micro-ing your units, they will run around and walk into melee trigger range on their own. Melee is also done on a individual model level, so some model in the squad can be shooting, and some can be fighting in melee or run really far away from the squad to try to melee an enemy. Also models get into weird pathing and collision issue when they fight in melee, and the animation and sfx don't really sell it, units will be punching at each other from 2m away, stand around idling while waiting for their attack to cool down and bumping into each other stiffly.

As a side note crew served weapon like HMG can still fire even while a bunch of engineers are punching them in the face. Actually HMG has completely different paradigm compares to the HMG in CoH. HMG in this game is heavily armored and protected from small arms fire, has very narrow arc and relatively short range but sets up and pack up very quickly and will just kill whatever they are suppressing on their own in short order. Also they can kill most of the mech pretty quickly too especially if you can get rear shot with them.

Beyond basic infantry, everyone has the same infantry roster. It's once you get to the exosuit and mech unit where things starts to look different...however almost everyone seems to have basically the same mech. MG mech, rifle mech, melee mech, flamethrower mech, artillery mech, they look cool in action and the design is neat though.

Overall, sound design is great, graphic is ok, some questionable design choices. Worth a try.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Before anyone gets their hopes up, this honestly feels more like a janky DoW 2 rather than janky CoH.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
It makes me sad because i love the aesthetic, the campaign (at least what ive played of it) has an ok story, though i had to restart a mission that bugged

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

working mom posted:

It makes me sad because i love the aesthetic

If it'll make you any less sad, it's the second game whose raison d'être was "man, those 1920ish mech pics of Różalski are really cool" (complete with getting the man on payroll) while said pics turned out to be but a one huge pile of tracing and plagiarism.

There was a huge storm over it in the boardgame world a few years back (the first of said two games was a cardboard one) and the hustle really were to dumb places like selling artbooks of this and faking drawing tutorials*. Shame we won't get a mechaCoH and that a lot of work will be wasted on a disappointing game, but at least that guy will be poorer for it.

* before someone asks how that works, it's getting asked to do a painting tutorial for a website, tracing some poo poo and then making up steps by deconstructing it in a reverse order to pretend that's how it was done.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lichtenstein posted:

Before anyone gets their hopes up, this honestly feels more like a janky DoW 2 rather than janky CoH.

Uh, I loved DOW2 and I don't see it. Just because of the inclusion of hero units?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

If it'll make you any less sad, it's the second game whose raison d'être was "man, those 1920ish mech pics of Różalski are really cool" (complete with getting the man on payroll) while said pics turned out to be but a one huge pile of tracing and plagiarism.

There was a huge storm over it in the boardgame world a few years back (the first of said two games was a cardboard one) and the hustle really were to dumb places like selling artbooks of this and faking drawing tutorials*. Shame we won't get a mechaCoH and that a lot of work will be wasted on a disappointing game, but at least that guy will be poorer for it.

* before someone asks how that works, it's getting asked to do a painting tutorial for a website, tracing some poo poo and then making up steps by deconstructing it in a reverse order to pretend that's how it was done.

Huh that's a shame, tbf its just the whole steam/dieselpunk thing in general that gets me, not just that duder

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I really want to like Iron Harvest, but yeah, it plays like a slower CoH from the demo I played back then. TTK is a lot longer and units don't feel quite as responsive as I'd like them to. No idea on actual balance because I didn't play enough. It does feel like a game that can be fixed with patches, because the fundamentals don't appear to be bad.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Mordja posted:

Uh, I loved DOW2 and I don't see it. Just because of the inclusion of hero units?

It's more of a feel than some grand design statement. It's... those smaller unit counts that auto-pop into numbered shortcuts, the symmetry of factions, the awkwardly crammed melee combat and the dynamic it necessarily imparts on ranged combat. The demo maps also felt DOW-y, feeling like a disparate collection of capture points roughly splitting the acreage of the map between them, rather than flowing with terrain features. Things like these.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Been getting into Stellar Monarch again over the weekend. I hadn't realized there was an expansion that adds terraforming and some other good project types for improving your empire so you don't necessarily have to expand all the time to build up.

I'm slowly squeezing out of my starting territory and annexing a minor alien civilization, anyone got tips on how to play on higher difficulties?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Reinstalled AOE2 (definitive); every time I get back into this I'm much worse than when I left but slightly better than when I started before. Need to get back into ranked, fighting the AI is really annoying since they've somehow managed to spam out dozens of troops by the time you rush them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't feel daunted by ranked. Most people are loving morons!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I got in and immediately won two matches, admittedly with Mongols but still

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/a-total-war-saga-troy/home

Troy is free today on Epic games, for those who don't follow the other threads.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Been trying out Berbers in AOE2 and realizing I'm incredibly bad if I don't have a decisive raid in feudal age

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like AOE4 will be shown at Gamescom on Thursday.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Since it has been out for a couple years, has anyone messed around with 40k Gladius - Relics of War?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Meridian posted:

Since it has been out for a couple years, has anyone messed around with 40k Gladius - Relics of War?

Haven't played it recently, but it mostly felt like bad-civ crossed with bad-Panzer General when I played it a few months after release, not really doing either thing well. If it didn't have the 40k setting it'd be totally unremarkable, and even with it, it's not particularly interesting.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
It's a fun 4x, the story elements can override your normal game, or they can be non existent if you don't play that way. It's very much war over civilization however.

[URL=Warhammer 40,000 Gladius: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6WX0yyxWfVSoQkAGh3frDjFikgQ4f4qS]I've done a few video if you want to see it in action.[/URL]

Iafeth
Jul 17, 2017

Meridian posted:

I highly recommend it. At first glance it's simple and barebones - not a lot of units, buildings, abilities etc. But it's really well put together gameplay wise and AI is surprisingly good. I am still actively playing it, if you will have any questions.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Meridian posted:

This game owns bones. Turn based, but throws out all the old TBS conventions and plays more like an RTS. The AI is great and the factions all play really differently.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Looks like AOE4 will be shown at Gamescom on Thursday.

I messed up! It's the AOE3 remaster that was shown off, out in mid-October. All the updates you'd expect, plus two more civilizations, the Incans and the Sweeeeeeeedes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCcRNUlE7ek
My bad take is that I've never been a huge fan of the series but 3 is probably the one I like the most. Of note is the Wars of Liberty mod which adds an almost comical number of new cultures and nations. Ever wondered what a war between the Maori and Ethiopia would look like? Find out!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Iron Harvest has a good campaign

You get to have a little bear cub as your sidekick and you throw snowballs at bullies:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you ever wanted a chat room for being an AoE animal here you go http://scrnprnt.ca/TheGardenOfEarthlyDelights/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Demo for Stronghold Warlords is out. Maybe this one will be good?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God I hope so. Crusaders 2 felt like trash bundle jank.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Been itching to take another stab at Myth, which I haven't played in 10-15 years, and it turned out trivially easy to get running since madmen are still patching the game so it runs fine on modern systems. I am struck, once again, by how different the player's introduction is between Myth 1 and Myth 2.

Myth 1's first level is Crow's Bridge, where a few blocs of Thrall (slow tough melee zombies) with supporting Soulless (floating ranged undead) attack a village in slightly staggered groups, while Ghols (weak but fast melee units) harass the player's flanks. If the player moves swiftly and decisively, they can defeat the enemy groups in detail, before they meet up, and use the choke point of the titular bridge to their advantage.

Myth 2's first level is Willow Creek, where a village is attacked by large blobs of Ghasts (weak Thrall that have to be outnumbered in melee). There are no additional enemy types and very little terrain to utilize, though a few waves will spawn in such a way that they'll vaguely box in the player if the proceed through the level in the intuitive manner. Higher difficulties crank up the raw numbers of enemies far more than Crow's Bridge does, yet it's still easier because the enemy unit composition is so monotone and combined arms is the heart of Myth unit design.

The former is far, far more interesting than the latter, and I find it very interesting that Bungie decided to dumb down the first level to such a degree in their sequel. I was pretty put off by that choice back in the day, but Bungie didn't generally do things at random. There must have been a reason. I strongly suspect that general public playtesters found the simpler level to be a less overwhelming introduction. Myth 1's opening lays out most of the tactical basics in unit composition for both sides, as well as the importance of time and space, while Myth 2 gives the new player huge leeway in experimenting with the basic functions of their own force composition (the core player unit comp of both games) without distraction.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 25, 2020

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I'm getting a hankering to play through Sacrifice again. It's an old game, and it didn't garner much recognition, to the point it ended up being its company's swansong, so to speak, which is a drat shame. I don't think I have seen it mentioned here in this thread, but it's one of my favorite strategy games and also very, very unique, both art direction wise and gameplay wise. I might do an effort post in a few days as I gather my thoughts on it if there's any interest in it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mortons stork posted:

I'm getting a hankering to play through Sacrifice again. It's an old game, and it didn't garner much recognition, to the point it ended up being its company's swansong, so to speak, which is a drat shame. I don't think I have seen it mentioned here in this thread, but it's one of my favorite strategy games and also very, very unique, both art direction wise and gameplay wise. I might do an effort post in a few days as I gather my thoughts on it if there's any interest in it.

It is great and I feel the same way about it. Actually looks pretty decent on modern resolutions thanks to the fantastic art direction and it doesn't feel dated to play because there isn't anything like it as far as I know.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
'action rts' is a criminally underserved genre and yes I liked brutal legend

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

mortons stork posted:

I keep meaning to play Sacrifice again also, it's great. It also has some of the most impressively apocalyptic spells I've seen in any game and am always disappointed when modern titles fail to match up.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I like play through the campaign every once in a while. I am really appreciative of the whole cast's voice work, it is truly stellar stuff. Plus Tim Curry just chewing the scenery as Stratos almost makes it worth it to play his campaign. Almost. And the story is pretty nice, especially for the paper-thin, barely works as an excuse to keep the plot moving standards of other RTS games.

There is also nothing more enjoyable than just walling off a part of an enemy's army from them and sending in the heavy hitters to gently caress up their rear guard and work their way into the core of their army from there, while my own artillery just lays waste to the general area. I don't know why this sort of battlefield manipulation is not a thing you can do in many other games, it'd be a slam dunk. There is really nothing like it, like ZearothK said.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Every time I replay I end up going with Jim. Partly because I appreciate his initially laid-back posture better as I grow up, but mostly because his high level spells are some of the coolest stuff I've ever seen in a videogame to this day.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
He also has, on balance, very good units. Not all rosters were created equal, but they did go for thematic consistency above all and I applaud them for that.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I absolutely loved Charnel's artillery units. Just bombarding everything with meat and offal!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sacrifice also had amazing music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSQ3yzCV2Eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6tufXdONR4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The last couple patches in COH 2 changed a bunch of stuff and the majority of that stuff is how I played with USA and Wehr. It broke everything I loved.