Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Having played a bunch of Planetary Annihilation recently, this just makes me want to play more Planetary Annihilation.

and seeing this makes me want to reinstall supreme commander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

appropriatemetaphor posted:

and seeing this makes me want to reinstall supreme commander

And seeing this makes me want to reinstall Total Annihilation

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I merely wished to indicate that I had found the demo uncompelling, not start an edition war. :toot:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Actually played some of it, and in the pantheon of probably-too-indie-for-their-own-good TAlikes, I'd say Rusted Warfare is def better.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Mordja posted:

Speaking of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGmJMdRW9o
(not actually that Nexuslike...)

This is a game I am really looking forward to. Small scale solar system. I would love a something similar to this with the missile focus of Aurora.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I liked the Starship Troopers demo, though I hope they can make the line of fire a little more forgiving. As it is right now there were more than a few times where I had units lined up side by side and if the enemy was coming from just a bit to either side one of the units just wouldn't fire at all.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Because of Actraiser Renaissance existing, I was finally reminded of Smelter, decided to try that game out instead.

The tier 2 zones are kicking my rear end hard, in what's probably a good way?
The eastern region has some kind of lost woods style maze going on that I need to figure out and stop space from warping.
The western region has moving electric traps - I'm sure I have all the necessary movement techniques to clear it, but I don't have the personal skills to pull it off yet.
The northern region was tough, but I improved enough to reach the boss. The problem is I can't figure out how to handle the boss yet. The checkpointing system is good, and I could try the boss as much as I want when I reach him, but I'm exhausted from the day and getting through the dungeon first - and can't do a proper save mid-dungeon. So I've got to get back there and through while not being dead tired, so I can figure out what to do. Probably going to have to shelve it till I have a good day to tackle it with my full wits.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

There is a game similar to They Are Billions releasing into early access soon called Age of Darkness: Final Stand. It's got some stuff I've always wanted in TAB, namely non-volatile saves (so you can retry on good map seeds). The main survival mode also doesn't have a fixed duration like TAB so you just keep going as long as you can. There's other neat stuff too such as being able to build anywhere, hero units, and a day/night cycle.

edit: releasing into early access

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 7, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I've always been a fan of They Are Billions and been disappointed with its lost potential, so this definitely has my eye!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Brutakas posted:

There is a game similar to They Are Billions releasing out of early access soon called Age of Darkness: Final Stand. It's got some stuff I've always wanted in TAB, namely non-volatile saves (so you can retry on good map seeds). The main survival mode also doesn't have a fixed duration like TAB so you just keep going as long as you can. There's other neat stuff too such as being able to build anywhere, hero units, and a day/night cycle.

Came here to post about this, there's streams of it on twitch and it basically looks like warcraft 3 crossed with TAB. end of night enemy raids look absolutely horrifyingly intense.

Albeit the guy I'm watching is playing on the hardest difficulty.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That game looks cool except that, like They Are Billions, it has no co-op. I have a lot of interest in playing this kind of game with my friends, and zero interest in playing it by myself.

In other news, there's a kickstarter with a standalone Sheep Tag game! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunawolfstudios/sheep-tag-2

Hell yes, I loved Sheep Tag, and from talking to the devs it looks like they're aware of the various implementation problems it had as a Warcraft 3 custom map and had some different solutions in mind.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Age of Darkness ATM is basically the survival mode of They Are Billions but better, and I'm all for it.

Cicero posted:

That game looks cool except that, like They Are Billions, it has no co-op. I have a lot of interest in playing this kind of game with my friends, and zero interest in playing it by myself.

They do have multiplayer as one of the roadmap goals.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

I liked the Starship Troopers demo, though I hope they can make the line of fire a little more forgiving. As it is right now there were more than a few times where I had units lined up side by side and if the enemy was coming from just a bit to either side one of the units just wouldn't fire at all.

The second that intro said it was based on the Starship Troopers films with no mentions of the book I nearly quit straight away.

I played heaps of Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy back in the day and the fact there seems to be zero exosuits and just a few different infantry units turned me right off.

Still played through the first 2 missions of the demo, but it just felt flat, and the line of fire mechanic seemed really tedious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Check it, a mod for the original Red Alert (but not the remasters) that makes the entire campaign co-op.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/command-conquer-blue-alert

Rudager posted:

The second that intro said it was based on the Starship Troopers films with no mentions of the book I nearly quit straight away.

I played heaps of Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy back in the day and the fact there seems to be zero exosuits and just a few different infantry units turned me right off.

Still played through the first 2 missions of the demo, but it just felt flat, and the line of fire mechanic seemed really tedious.
There are definitely exosuits and stuff later on, at least from the screenshots and stuff.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rudager posted:

I'd rather play a game about a movie series that makes fun of a fascist power fantasy than a series of books about a fascist power fantasy where the bugs are literal stand ins for the Chinese and Vietnamese.

Give me massive amounts of bugs, little fragile soldiers and an over the top, cynical congratulations for losing thousands of men and women to conquer a piece of dirt.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

Age of Darkness ATM is basically the survival mode of They Are Billions but better, and I'm all for it.

I hope it sticks the landing because for whatever reason, I *really* dig the concept (same with The Last Spell)

For some reason magical end of days speaks to me, but zombie apocalypse does nothing, even though it's just a different color of paint

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mordja posted:

And seeing this makes me want to reinstall Total Annihilation

I love Total Annihilation, but I'm forever spoiled by the UI features that Supreme Commander brought to the table.

Also in that imgur thread that someone posted, the TA screenshot has obviously got some mods installed.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zero K Zero K Zero K

It owns

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

skaianDestiny posted:

I saw a dev mentioning this in their steam forum too, but I'm a bit skeptical. I know the They Are Billions devs said that multiplayer was impossible for them because they needed non-determinism for their huge unit counts, hopefully the AoD devs know what they're doing here.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The poo poo ai and necessary constant micromanaging in they are billions makes me just hate how boring that game was and assume the devs are bad at fun and design

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mans posted:

I'd rather play a game about a movie series that makes fun of a fascist power fantasy than a series of books about a fascist power fantasy where the bugs are literal stand ins for the Chinese and Vietnamese.

Give me massive amounts of bugs, little fragile soldiers and an over the top, cynical congratulations for losing thousands of men and women to conquer a piece of dirt.

I'd like to see then throw in some stuff from the book for some really black comedy. Have a mission where you build up a unit of K9 units. They try this in the book, and it turns out dogs find the smell, sight, noise and tunneling vibrations of the bugs a unlivable nightmare and every single one nopes out minute one and activate their suicide device. Their human handlers were bonded to them like family, so this also left behind a large number of emotionally crippled soldiers.
Next mission can be fascist doogie howser figuring out how to handle the fallout from that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another one of those big C&C Anniversary streams incoming, this one for Red Alert.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm gonna give the Kohan games a try, anyone know anything about them? My only experience was playing the K2 demo way back when.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

I'm gonna give the Kohan games a try, anyone know anything about them? My only experience was playing the K2 demo way back when.

kinda middling sp

in another timeline Kohan 1 was a huge hit and influenced rts design for years

I played so many hours of 4v4 Kohan, and it was so, so good

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Kohan 1 has you found your own cities, Kohan 2 is more about controlling specific places.

Keep your forces, especially your heroes, alive. 1 good squad can easily handle lots of little squads. The trouble is generally making that good squad.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mordja posted:

Armies are real methodical. Unless you go with... the elvish sorts expect troops to take a while to get into position. The march formation is your friend... until it isn't. Besieged cities don't provide supply coverage.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played through the tutorials and there's more to this than I thought. From what I recall, the second game is about capturing semi-prebuilt cities, I think it used a build plot construction system.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mordja posted:

I played through the tutorials and there's more to this than I thought. From what I recall, the second game is about capturing semi-prebuilt cities, I think it used a build plot construction system.

Yep! Ideally you want a specialized troop city and a bunch of resource providers. Not all factions can fit all the relevant buildings in one city but it can save you a bunch of money in the long run.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Kohan 1: Search the maps in the campaign. There are tech upgrades in many, and you can't go back for them or get them later.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Immortal, the *craft-like RTS being made by former SC2 modders, is doing a pre-alpha stress test next weekend for kickstarter backers, which includes me! No NDA, so I'll be able to talk. So far it looks sort of in between StarCraft and Warcraft 3 in terms of game focus or flow.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Anybody got experience with Mainframe Defenders? I've been looking at it on steam for a while, but it just came out on switch so I'm extra interested.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I have it, presumably the switch version is already version 2.whatever? A bit on the hard side, but a solid tactics/robot building game. Try to figure out which of your bots runs the coldest and have them shoot through walls and other things between you and the objective. Don't be afraid to move your starting equipment around, as long as everybody ends up with one gun. Any amount of hull healing or regeneration is great, status effect clearing is priceless. Don't go all in on direct damage or status effects. Different enemy robots and scenarios can punish teams that don't diversify. Even robots that shoot a bajillion shots have counters by the third act.

I personally like a game where the default assumption is that every map is going to end with all of your robots melting down from overheating.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Men of War 2 got announced, that's right, the second Men of War game, but it pretty much just looks exactly like all the others because 1C's just cranking them out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1zhLnZyO4

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mordja posted:

Men of War 2 got announced, that's right, the second Men of War game, but it pretty much just looks exactly like all the others because 1C's just cranking them out.

Well, not much info to be gleamed from the trailer. Last I heard about new MoW they were working on a new iteration of their engine (GEM2 or 3 or something), with all new art assets. Then nothing for a really long time. Then they were making basically MoW but with World of Tanks gameplay loop called Soldiers: Arena. Actually now I look it up looks like this might actually just be the rebranded Soldiers: Arena as per:
https://store.steampowered.com/oldnews/?appids=421010&appgroupname=Soldiers%3A+Arena&feed=steam_community_announcements

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordja posted:

"Experience warfare like never before! "

Uhh, I think we've experienced warfare like this before dude. There are like a bajillion Men of War games.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I'm in. Presumably this is based on Men of War 2 Arena and it has a frontlines mode similar to Steel Division's except with MoW scale. That plus an engine that doesn't run like poo poo and less garbage AI is all I ever wanted out of MoW.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't there literally a MoW2 already?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How does this genere not get totally sick of WWII? Just do something different, even WWI would be miles more interesting.

EDIT: The answer is Nazis, it's always Nazis

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mokotow posted:

How does this genere not get totally sick of WWII? Just do something different, even WWI would be miles more interesting.

There's been other wars, but there's not really an industrial war like the second that suits what the men of war engine is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mokotow posted:

Honestly, the answers is Russians. WWII is an evergreen topic that comes and goes as the trends shift, but it's always the East that keeps churning out WWII eurojank no matter what.

And that's really not surprising in that Russia and its closest satellites still care about WWII a whole lot, culturally. In my experience it felt like out there Napoleon's campaign on Russia felt about as alive as the world wars fell in other euro countries and WWII is just... way fresher than that.

Then again it's just my gut feel anectodal evidence from coincidentally being in Russia during some related anniversaries.