Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Faces of war and men of war were two of the best co-op experiences I've ever had. Assault never really worked for me. If this is just More of the old stuff, I'll be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokotow posted:

How does this genere not get totally sick of WWII? Just do something different, even WWI would be miles more interesting.

EDIT: The answer is Nazis, it's always Nazis

There IS a ww1 game on the men of war engine.

There's also a Vietnam game, which is so janky it's kinda great.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mokotow posted:

How does this genere not get totally sick of WWII? Just do something different, even WWI would be miles more interesting.

EDIT: The answer is Nazis, it's always Nazis

Shadow Empire crossover when?

(obviously not a serious suggestion)

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Been watching Narcos Mexico, and the flavour has got my hankering for playing Tropico. Haven't played since Tropico 4, because 5 seems like it was such a re-hash, but I've read such mixed things for 6, I'm unsure if it's worth paying the £17 to take the plunge. Some, like Rock Paper Shotgun thought it was the definitive edition, some felt that it was still a little dry, humourless and not really that much of an evolution from the 4. Is there enough difference in justify buying it again, or is to similar to the almost decade old Tropico 4?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Apparently there's some kind of big remake coming for Spellforce 3 in a couple of weeks.

https://grimloregames.com/spellforce-3-reforced-on-pc-consoles/

quote:

Differences between SpellForce 3: Reforced and the original SpellForce 3:

Enhanced campaign experience
Improved RTS mechanics and reworked RTS faction designs, introduced in the two expansions
Reworked Skilltrees
Improved quests
Improved Coop Mode
Improved loot distribution
Improved balancing
Complete rework of the hub
Visually and functionally enhanced User Interface
Gamepad Support
A new skirmish map (will also be available in the free to play SpellForce 3: Versus Edition)
Journey Mode: An additional game mode similar to the original SpellForce’s “Free Game Mode”, providing more than 20 hours of unique content and a lot of replay value. Can be played in Coop!
Journey Skirmish: Play PvP skirmish matches against other players with your overpowered journey heroes
Arena Mode: An additional endless game mode where you start with a fresh character, fight against waves of monsters, and buy loot and spells from merchants to compete with other players in the leaderboards. Can also be played in Coop!
Mod Support for the new Journey and Arena modes. Create your own Journey or arena maps and share them with the community.

Sounds kind of interesting... though I do worry a little after what Blizzard did to Warcraft 3. Anybody else following this?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How's Spellforce 3?

I loved the first game and the expansions, bought 2 but it was super buggy and I never bothered in grabbing the community patches that are mandatory, is 3 a better experience?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

avoraciopoctules posted:

Apparently there's some kind of big remake coming for Spellforce 3 in a couple of weeks.

https://grimloregames.com/spellforce-3-reforced-on-pc-consoles/

Sounds kind of interesting... though I do worry a little after what Blizzard did to Warcraft 3. Anybody else following this?

Well for one, Spellforce 3 is only a few years old. They then made a couple of standalone expansion backs which updated and changed various aspects of the gameplay, and I'm pretty sure this is pretty much just bringing those improved mechanics back to the original campaign.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Weasling Weasel posted:

Been watching Narcos Mexico, and the flavour has got my hankering for playing Tropico. Haven't played since Tropico 4, because 5 seems like it was such a re-hash, but I've read such mixed things for 6, I'm unsure if it's worth paying the £17 to take the plunge. Some, like Rock Paper Shotgun thought it was the definitive edition, some felt that it was still a little dry, humourless and not really that much of an evolution from the 4. Is there enough difference in justify buying it again, or is to similar to the almost decade old Tropico 4?

i haven't played 4, but 6 is definitely a somewhat different beast than 5. it felt relatively easy to get an economy up and running no problem in 5 (rum!) and it was always smooth sailing from there. i've been trying and bouncing off 6 every few months since it released and just finally felt like it clicked this last week because i had to stop playing like 5 and be more deliberate with logistical planning and setting up industry.

5 was definitely funnier, but 6 has its moments. it's probably not worth full price bcause at the end of the day it's still tropico and hasn't fundamentally changed since i first played 3, but 17 bucks is about what i paid and it's a decent price if you enjoyed previous entries.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

SavageMessiah posted:

Faces of war and men of war were two of the best co-op experiences I've ever had. Assault never really worked for me. If this is just More of the old stuff, I'll be very happy.

What was it about Men of War that made it so good for co-op? Missed that boat, here

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Love Stole the Day posted:

What was it about Men of War that made it so good for co-op? Missed that boat, here

From my super brief experience with it, it’s because it’s economic and reinforcement systems are more similar to world in conflict than most RTS’s: you gain a trickle of reinforcement points over time, spawn in units on a cooldown and fight over discrete victory points instead of just attacking a town center or something. It’s combat is also set up similarly, though much more granular, and it has a similar focus on different unit types needing to rely on each other to succeed.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love Stole the Day posted:

Depends on what you're talking about.

Assault Squad has a wave co-op mode where you either take positions on a very long map while the AI throws increasingly tougher opposition your way and another where you're defending against waves of enemies. These are very fun but they're not very different.

Now the original Men of War and Faces of War? They had these very unique and complex scenarios that were very tough, so dividing the forces between multiple people was a great help. You also had fantastic terrible voice acting and general jankiness that made the whole experience super fun.

The missions however were extremely difficult since both vehicles and men got put out of action very easily and there's no saves during MP, so you had to complete hour long scenarios perfectly otherwise you'd have to do it all over again.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Bumrushing an IS-3 with a random squad of Panzergrenadiers and then blowing it completely up (the turret became a rocket)was probably the most fun I've ever had as Germany in a WWII game.

I think I lost on that trade though, as I'm pretty sure the grenadiers cost the super special elite resource, and I'm not sure if the tank did.

Oh, and it doesn't enforce that weird limit where allies can only fight axis and vice versa. The Americans vs. Russians match up is a lot of fun!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A fantastic way to start an American match was to immediately buy the greyhound, since the browning could melt light tanks.

Additionally, when the greyhound was knocked out, you order a surviving tankman to take the tanks dynamite (all tanks had one) AND a bazooka, which the greyhound had for some reason.

That tank could haunt an enemy game for a long time.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Mans posted:

Now the original Men of War and Faces of War? They had these very unique and complex scenarios that were very tough, so dividing the forces between multiple people was a great help. You also had fantastic terrible voice acting and general jankiness that made the whole experience super fun.

Yeah, it was this. You have this difficult, crazy war puzzle and you have to figure out how to solve it with anti tank grenades and driving vehicles into things. The game's engine allows all sorts of goofy stuff and goofy stuff is always better with another person. Stuff like sniping a single running soldier by shooting through a building with an AP tank shell. Throwing an anti tank grenade at a machinegun in a window, having a huge chunk of the building come off, slide down, and smack one of your guys directly in the forehead. Throw a molotov, set a weird trellis thing on fire, watch as the fire spreads to a nearby building, machinegun flaming nazis when they come running out. Crash your motorcycle into a house because you are using the manual driving controls and are completely incompetent. Finish the battle and then use every vehicle and ounce of explosives you can find to flatten every building on the map and THEN click the end mission button. Knock the tracks of an enemy tank, kill the crew when they bail, take the repair kit out of the tank, fix it, and then cruise around in your pilfered panzer.

Game good. We always played on easy so that we could more effort into shenanigans. On easy you get a lot of morphine that can bring dudes back from the dead somehow.

The reason why I don't like assault squad is that it requires you to engage with the game at its pace. If you spend time messing around you lose. In the hand-crafted missions of the original you usually had the luxury of approaching things at your own pace. And honestly the defend/attack this generic checkpoint is just boring.

EDIT: Also, yeah the horrible voice acting and jank added to the fun too. Holy poo poo is some of the VO bad. I WON'T RUN AWAY LIKE A CUPBOARD

oh god a wirblewind :effort:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Sounds like I'm gonna play Men of War

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also this bigass, Russian 40k mod for MOW:AS2 on the workshop I gotta check out soon...

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Its not finished, and its classic Russian mod jank and it looks not particularly fun to play yet.

But- it has a finished Baneblade. :killdozer:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Good luck logging in, but COH3 will be running another test starting tomorrow, this time of its multiplayer.
https://community.companyofheroes.com/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
As someone who greatly enjoyed CoH1, despite its varied problems, I'm looking forward to this test.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did a couple compstomps and yeah it's fun, in that it's more COH, early as it is. I'll play some actual multiplayer tomorrow, but COH2 was one of the few RTS games I put any real PVP time into so I'm looking forward to it. Especially since Iron Harvest was a real non-starter and just generally kinda disappointing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

“More CoH” is probably pretty reassuring to a lot of people after DoW3.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Anno posted:

“More CoH” is probably pretty reassuring to a lot of people after DoW3.

Really, really liked DoW3 here, though I only ever tried it out this past year. The Multiplayer gimmick seemed weird and stupid, though the campaign was cool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Know what game I really liked? Ground Control. Never played either the expansion or the sequel, but I thought the first Ground Control was awesome. And it featured a newbie Jennifer Hale before she’d become Bastilla, using the same Bastilla voice/accent.

Is there any way to get Ground Control to work on Windows 10 and maybe modern/widescreen it up? I have it on GOG but remember it having some compatibility issues and couldn’t get it to work.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"classic Russian mod jank"

You wanna explain to the class, who have no experience with such?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Bloodly posted:

"classic Russian mod jank"

You wanna explain to the class, who have no experience with such?

I mean, Slavjank isn't something you explain, its something you experience.

The unit animations can be werid (space marines hunching over and holding their weapons one handed), some of the units don't fit well within the engine (sentinels).

Those are the two big ones I know of.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

chaosapiant posted:

Know what game I really liked? Ground Control. Never played either the expansion or the sequel, but I thought the first Ground Control was awesome. And it featured a newbie Jennifer Hale before she’d become Bastilla, using the same Bastilla voice/accent.

Is there any way to get Ground Control to work on Windows 10 and maybe modern/widescreen it up? I have it on GOG but remember it having some compatibility issues and couldn’t get it to work.

Oh man yes. I love the first ground control to bits, and bought the ground control anthology on steam for a pittance a few years back. It worked just fine on my windows 10 pc. Not sure about widescreen setup tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, looks like the Star Trek Armada games have been added to GOG.
https://www.gog.com/partner/startrek

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Mordja posted:

Huh, looks like the Star Trek Armada games have been added to GOG.
https://www.gog.com/partner/startrek

Sweet, I only ever played demo of this. But lol, I definitely remember it looking better. If somebody plays it, is it super janky, or what kind of playable

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe you saw screenshots of the Fleet Ops mod, which is a significant graphical improvement?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
New Wargame looking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRyLrbL9LE

https://twitch.tv/videos/1233207517
Alternatively their stream with Matrix has a few more tidbits of info (near the last quarter).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 15, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Now this looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtxXcWC_1sw

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

It's following the Dark Fate timeline for some ungodly reason so no Skynet, and assumedly none of the iconic designs.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I see they're planning on selling colors as DLC. The red fence is pre-order bonus

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pedro0930 posted:

New Wargame looking good.

This does look cool, but it's kind of sad that Eugen came up with such a good formula and then blew their lead by switching to the Steel Division games. It means we have to wait for these new companies to basically rebuild the same 10 year old game from scratch. Imagine where we'd be now if Eugen had stuck with Wargame.

They could have still done the switch to ww2, it was just the reduction in scale that ruined Steel Division imo. As soon as it became about micro-ing individual tanks I was out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fuf posted:

This does look cool, but it's kind of sad that Eugen came up with such a good formula and then blew their lead by switching to the Steel Division games. It means we have to wait for these new companies to basically rebuild the same 10 year old game from scratch. Imagine where we'd be now if Eugen had stuck with Wargame.

They could have still done the switch to ww2, it was just the reduction in scale that ruined Steel Division imo. As soon as it became about micro-ing individual tanks I was out.

Wargame was also about microing individual tanks, lol. They had facing, weird platoon splitting/unsplitting shenanigans, ninja smoke with ATGMs, etc.

SD2 did actually make tanks wargame cheap but it made the infantry game so much worse that they went back a little on it.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 15, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Panzeh posted:

Wargame was also about microing individual tanks, lol. They had facing, weird platoon splitting/unsplitting shenanigans, ninja smoke with ATGMs, etc.

SD2 did actually make tanks wargame cheap but it made the infantry game so much worse that they went back a little on it.

Wargame was definitely larger scale in general though: you were more likely to have vehicles in groups and the game was at its best when you had loads of units on really big maps.

I'm always pining for strategy games that take place on an operational level where you move around big formations instead of individual vehicles or tiny squads of infantry. Wargame was one of the few franchises that leaned in that direction. The only others I can think of are Total War, Ashes of the Singularity I guess, and then loads of hex-based, turn-based games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fuf posted:

Wargame was definitely larger scale in general though: you were more likely to have vehicles in groups and the game was at its best when you had loads of units on really big maps.

I'm always pining for strategy games that take place on an operational level where you move around big formations instead of individual vehicles or tiny squads of infantry. Wargame was one of the few franchises that leaned in that direction. The only others I can think of are Total War, Ashes of the Singularity I guess, and then loads of hex-based, turn-based games.

I do mostly play hex games these days(and in fact cardboard ones) but yeah, i can see how the auto-platoons made it feel larger scale, even if they in gameplay terms were kinda bad for the old heads. IMO, wargame was never really an operational game in any way because they're all really finicky games that have a ton of little tactical micro stuff. I actually did some preliminary modding in SD2 to make the infantry squads into infantry platoons as i thought that'd improve the game(it has fidelity problems with 40 men clown carring out of one truck), and make the less detailed infantry combat make more sense, but ultimately SD2 is a pain to mod, even though the mod support is much better than it used to be.

Anyway, someone make OCS on the computer, stat.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 15, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Panzeh posted:

IMO, wargame was never really an operational game in any way because they're all really finicky games that have a ton of little tactical micro stuff.

Yeah that makes sense. It's honestly mostly an aesthetic thing for me. I get happy when I see big sweeping maps with little woods and towns etc.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fuf posted:

Yeah that makes sense. It's honestly mostly an aesthetic thing for me. I get happy when I see big sweeping maps with little woods and towns etc.

Yeah, honestly, i'd love to see a napoleon/1700s type game in the wargame millieu, lots of map, focused out armies, tons of little villages and towns and bad roads in an engine that lets you zoom around like that, not a total war game where you're kinda already in the chicken coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, honestly, i'd love to see a napoleon/1700s type game in the wargame millieu, lots of map, focused out armies, tons of little villages and towns and bad roads in an engine that lets you zoom around like that, not a total war game where you're kinda already in the chicken coop.

Hell yeah that's basically my dream game