Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Deakul posted:

And look at that a genuine RTS that isn't secretly a MOBA or something came out and it actually looks like serious effort was put into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvSEbYBRk6A

Neat, it has a wave based survival mode. Dawn of War had a mod that did that and I ended up enjoying that a lot. I might check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Accessories are on point.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

They're certainly saying all the right things: No hero units*, having battles on multiple fronts*, streamlining buttons and controls, and having multiple factions. I'm certainly interested in seeing the end product.

*No Hero Units & multifront battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQw80Reh2ps&t=2667s

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I've always appreciated the CoH games for more for their aesthetics (visual and aural) than their gameplay. I really like that units have different audio barks when they're in combat (and sounding quite stressed). Also, all the dirt and fire kicked up by artillery impacts. Sometimes it's just fun to watch the chaos unfold. Lately, I've been playing CoH2 and the gameplay has some annoying bits of micromanagement. Needing to tell units to throw grenades and also to avoid grenades, the fact that squad reinforcements can't be set to autocast, the units that just have abilities and no functional attack.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

No lie, I really like the AoE4 units (especially military) shouting at full volume in response to being told to do anything.

Game plays well. Definitely a more streamlined AoE experience. Light scouts are built from town centers now and can capture sheep and deliver them to a friendly building (you can shift click this whole process, which is great). Early upgrade that increases villager move speed and carry capacity. Victory conditions are: build a wonder,(defend 10 minutes) capture sacred sites,(points on map; defend 10 minutes) destroy enemy tier buildings. Sadly no assassination game mode but there was a sandbox mode.

I like how they handled tech tiers with having to choose between 2 unique buildings. There's also some stuff that seems lifted from RoN like trade caravans and how buildings around the TC create roads (kinda) and other props to give your town a more cohesive look.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

The Starship Troopers game reminds me of Infested Planet in that you have essentially unlimited resources to try and gradually snuff out a limitless foe. The game seems solid but there were no unit barks or bug noises (at least in the demo). Hopefully, that won't get overlooked for the full game.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

There is a game similar to They Are Billions releasing into early access soon called Age of Darkness: Final Stand. It's got some stuff I've always wanted in TAB, namely non-volatile saves (so you can retry on good map seeds). The main survival mode also doesn't have a fixed duration like TAB so you just keep going as long as you can. There's other neat stuff too such as being able to build anywhere, hero units, and a day/night cycle.

edit: releasing into early access

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 7, 2021

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Saros posted:

Nebulous: Fleet command is out in early access and its excellent. Its a Homeworld style RTS but with an enormous amount of depth and EWAR as well as full ship customisation. Apparently made by a US navy guy so its pretty deep and goes a lot further into jamming/countermeasures/intel etc than most games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcDlzuv4ujI

That trailer gave me vibes of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Definitely something I will keep an eye on,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

For me the reason I don't really play RTS competitively is I've dialed in the exact mechanics I want a "good" RTS game to have and I constantly find myself unfulfilled. One of the big ones is how build queuing works relative to how the resource costs are deducted. If I want to queue 10 things, I shouldn't have to pay upfront for the remaining 9 right away. Either deduct the cost only once building begins or deduct the cost at a rate over the build time.

From the short list of RTS games that I have played against other people: Supreme Commander 1+2, Homeworld 1+2, Red Alert 2. None of those games have upfront costs for build queues.