Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Buy it Here if you're a PC overlord.

After a decade of ports of VC1, crappy PSP games, and whatever the hell the mobile game was, there's finally a proper sequel to Valkyria Chronicles 1. And it's good! In the sense that it's mostly more Valkyria Chronicles 1! But Valkyria Chronicles 1 was very good, so VC4 is very good. It's out today for PC, Switch, PS4, and, miraculously, Xbox One.

Is this like those crappy PSP games?

Let's pretend those never happened. Well, 3 was okay, but it was still super hamstrung by being portable.

Do I need to have played 1?

It takes place at the same time as Valkyria Chronicles 1, but on a different front of the war. There's a couple of references to the events of VC1, and one character from VC1 makes an appearance or two, but it's almost entirely its own thing.

What is a Valkyria Chronicles?

quote:

Valkyria Chronicles is a tactical role-playing game in which the player uses a unique turn-based battle system called BLiTZ (Battle of Live Tactical Zones).[8] During their turn the player views an overhead map in Command Mode, but zooms in to control each individual unit on the battlefield in Action Mode.[9] Movement and other actions are handled in real time during Action Mode, though limited in movement by an action point (AP) gauge that varies for each type of character.[9] During Target Mode, the player is in direct control of characters' aim while the action freezes, allowing for head shots and other maneuvers. Taking command of individual units during the player's phase costs Command Points, which can be used dynamically to grant movement to many different units or the same unit consecutively with diminishing AP reserve, depending on what the player wants to accomplish.[9] By using their troops the player must fulfill various conditions depending on the mission in order to achieve victory, most often the capture of a major enemy encampment. Upon completing missions, the player is awarded money and experience with which to upgrade their materiel and character classes, respectively, and the game's story is advanced. Missions can be failed if the player's forces are wholly incapacitated or killed, the squad's main battle tank is destroyed, or the player's main base camp is captured by the enemy.

Could you quote Wikipedia some more?

quote:

Each character in the game fulfills a specific role — for instance, Alicia is a mid-range rifle-toting scout, while Welkin is a tank commander. Other roles include Shocktroopers (assault infantry), "Lancers" specializing in anti-tank warfare, snipers, and engineers.[9] These various units form a rock-paper-scissors dynamic of strength and weakness. The foot soldiers (Scout, Shocktrooper, and Sniper) are effective against slower anti-tank units, anti-tank units can quickly destroy tanks with a well-aimed shot,[9] and tanks are generally devastating against infantry, whose anti-personnel weapons are unable to inflict any significant frontal damage. While each character within a class is basically similar in terms of weaponry and statistics, each individual has a distinguishing set of Potentials: special abilities or stat modifiers triggered by various psychological or environmental factors in battle.

Is this game anime?

What has actually changed from VC1?

The introduction of a new class, Grenadiers, who use mortars to support your army from the rear, similar to an AOE sniper. They're useful for clearing out bases, rooftops, and watchtowers. Certain things, such as some of the mechanics surrounding tanks, have also been tweaked.

Can I still scoutrush?

Kind of? The map turn limits are a bit more generous in terms of getting A ranks, and map objectives are more varied and dynamic, sometimes in ways that will punish you for just blindly sending scouts forward. Stuff like ambushes, sudden twists in the battlefield, certain areas getting cut off from the rest of the battlefield by a bridge being blown up or something, stuff like that. However, scouts are still the best class, they just aren't quite as gamebreaking as they used to be.

Does this use the EXP system from VC2?

Nope! It doesn't take place in a school, either. VC4 is something of a soft reset, mostly ignoring mechanics and ideas introduced in 2 and 3. There's none of the weird side classes like Trumpeteer, maps are large and sprawling instead of a series of small skirmishes, EXP is on a per-class basis, you don't need to grind medals, etc. Basically, if you liked VC1 and disliked VC2, you'll like this game.

How's the plot?

It has the same tone problems that VC1 had, in the sense that anime grabass shenanigans exists alongside gritty war drama, but overall I liked a lot of the characters and thought some of the war drama landed. It's similar to VC1 in terms of the strengths and weaknesses of its plot, so if you played VC1 use that as a barometer, though I liked VC4's cast more. Except Raz. gently caress Raz.

How's the performance on Switch?

I didn't play it on Switch but I've looked at videos and stuff and everyone says it runs smooth even undocked. If anyone's got any impressions to the contrary, post 'em, but until then it seems like it was ported excellently. Can't speak to the performance on PC, either, though I haven't heard any complaints.

What's the best anime?

Shion no Ou.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Raz bad, dog good

:woof:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Raz bad, dog good

:woof:

knight helmet girl also good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

knight helmet girl also good

Hell yeah

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
this is a really good game and the digital switch version runs great. havent played undocked yet so ill have to report back

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Is this game anime?
There's a hot springs chapter.

But it's postgame (it happens during the main story, but you only unlock the chapter after the ending) and the scenes leading up to it were a nice way to humanize the enemy soldiers

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
rags is the best but we dont get to give him orders to bite imperials, what a shame

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Endorph posted:

Is this game anime?

You need to answer the more direct form of the question: Could this be a Vita title?

There's no Jann but I'll overlook that. It doesn't have 2's endless high school text adventure and it doesn't look like 2's grind is here either. I really hope there's a way to let the dialog play, Persona style, because the streams I've seen have been clicking through each line and ten minutes of that is annoying. VC1 was a good game and this will be a good game.

I like that they didn't feel the need to go all cringey...

Tamba posted:

There's a hot springs chapter.

Dammit, Sega.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Blazing Zero posted:

this is a really good game and the digital switch version runs great. havent played undocked yet so ill have to report back
Yeah I'm very curious about the undocked performance, since playing on the Switch/PS4 are both basically the same situation for me but all things equal I'd obviously prefer to be able to play it on the go.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Is there a veggies scene? Because I need to scream about my love for vegetables.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Not a fan of how they’re drip feeding the dlc out until December instead of all at once. I’m playing the game now and it’s unlikely that I’ll finish it and then pick it up months later to pay $6 for one mission. If it was all available now I’d buy it.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Got it on Switch, runs great even in handheld mode.
Grenadiers are awesome, but seem a little OP, especially in the beginning.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game owns

they also straight up added a tank battle mission which, while not terribly exciting given the format, still owns

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Holy gently caress what in the hell were they even thinking when they created Raz

You're in a war, stop being a next level creep

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

MechaX posted:

Holy gently caress what in the hell were they even thinking when they created Raz

War can't stop the power of boners

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MechaX posted:

I mean who is he gonna get some lovin from, the Imps?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also you can take scout rush from my cold dead hands

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh hey, a good new Valkyria Chronicles! Neat.

Can't decide if I want PC or Switch. What's the Switch tax like? e: £50 either way, Jesus everloving gently caress :eyepop:

Endorph posted:

What's the best anime?

Shion no Ou.

:hmmyes:

I'm amazed anyone else remembers that, actually.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh hey, a good new Valkyria Chronicles! Neat.

Can't decide if I want PC or Switch. What's the Switch tax like? e: £50 either way, Jesus everloving gently caress :eyepop:

Seems Fanatical is still floating a deal.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Overbite posted:

Not a fan of how they’re drip feeding the dlc out until December instead of all at once. I’m playing the game now and it’s unlikely that I’ll finish it and then pick it up months later to pay $6 for one mission. If it was all available now I’d buy it.

Probably trying to encourage people to (pre-)order the expensive version.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

OddObserver posted:

Probably trying to encourage people to (pre-)order the expensive version.

Oh dang, I didn’t realize that DLC wasn’t available to anyone who didn’t get that version.

I bought it because I love VC. The box is gigantic and the little Tank they include was surprisingly well done considering how bad that stuff can go (infinity stones for example).

Apparently there’s supposed to be another piece of free DLC to people who pre-ordered game but I didn’t get anything.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Thanks for this, nabbed a PC copy for 39 euros.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Oh dang, I didn’t realize that DLC wasn’t available to anyone who didn’t get that version.

If I understood correctly, it is available, but with a delay.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Outside of missions that might specifically prohibit it, is there any reason you'd ever run without all your commanders out for more CP?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Outside of missions that might specifically prohibit it, is there any reason you'd ever run without all your commanders out for more CP?
heres a reason: gently caress raz

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This game is fun but it is anime as hell and thus the dialog is seemingly written by a 12 year old.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Come on guys, Raz is great at being terrible .

I was so happy with the Squad Stories unlocked--I hadn't known they were what they are, and it's exactly what I had wanted out of the VC1 dlc (we only got it for Edy of all people. Sure, Jan and Marina were there, but Edy? Really?). Destiny anyone know if there's a scenario for everyone? I want Viola to realize that her issues are holding her back from maximum murder efficiency.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man, did the first Siegval Line battle. Place is stuffed with pillboxes and tanks, and they expect you to finish this in 5 turns (maybe even less, I did it in 7 and got a D rank)?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

The Lord of Hats posted:

Come on guys, Raz is great at being terrible .

I was so happy with the Squad Stories unlocked--I hadn't known they were what they are, and it's exactly what I had wanted out of the VC1 dlc (we only got it for Edy of all people. Sure, Jan and Marina were there, but Edy? Really?). Destiny anyone know if there's a scenario for everyone? I want Viola to realize that her issues are holding her back from maximum murder efficiency.

Was viola the sniper?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Leal posted:

Man, did the first Siegval Line battle. Place is stuffed with pillboxes and tanks, and they expect you to finish this in 5 turns (maybe even less, I did it in 7 and got a D rank)?

That was my exact experience as well. There's just so many overlapping cones of "gently caress you". I feel like the Cactus is probably critical to getting an A rank on there.

waah posted:

Was viola the sniper?

Shocktrooper. She's Jane from VC1 if Jane's potentials weren't all carefully selected for maximum carnage. She gets Authority Issues and Darcsen Hater instead (her line is literally "I'm not racist, but...).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

That was my exact experience as well. There's just so many overlapping cones of "gently caress you". I feel like the Cactus is probably critical to getting an A rank on there.

Same, also 7 turns/D, loved the mission though.I do wonder about the cactus in there --- it was tough enough for me to keep the Hafen alive...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Its bonkers cause I did the mission after that in 5 turns for an A, and not only is it a significantly smaller map, it isn't quite so crazy with the overlapping pillboxes. If 7 turns got a D, that would mean an A would be at most 4 turn, less turns then the significantly easier map :psyduck:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Only thing I know about Raz is that sexual harassment article that keeps popping out

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Heads up, for Sievgal Line 3 do NOT put any troops in the 2 southern slots in the northern deploy zone. What the gently caress game, that is a serious dick move.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
siegval 1 teaches you very nicely that you need to snipe the gently caress out of mortars before you try to take a camp.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Siegval 3 can choke on a bag of dicks.

Ahahaha they want this mission beaten in 4 turns or less go choke on a dick Sega.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I honestly liked everything but the plot/setting from 2 better than 1 so I dunno if I'll pick this up. Maybe!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

does anyone go HahahaHAHAHAHA every time they have a canned line?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there is a very important question

is there still an anti-armor trooper who can win a slugging match with a tank powered solely by how much he enjoys having sex with men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there is a very important question

is there still an anti-armor trooper who can win a slugging match with a tank powered solely by how much he enjoys having sex with men

Speaking of Lancers, I have read in a review that Grenadiers make them somewhat redundant since you can aim for their weakspot without having the circle around.

Personally, I kind of think that it is bullshit because

1. The review in question was Ars Technica, and I can't say I trust them for reviews
2. I played the demo and while Grenadiers are awesome I wouldn't count on them to make a pinpoint shot.

Still, I am curious if that has been anyone else's experience.