Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's the primary use of lancers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yeah the only downside is shuffling two lancers into a spot to do it

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah the only downside is shuffling two lancers into a spot to do it

You can use three. It's the best way to do part of chapter 15.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AFashionableHat posted:

You can use three. It's the best way to do part of chapter 15.

That would explain some of the problem I had, but that being said, even using just two supporting the Hafen I had trouble getting everyone positioned right to all fire, let alone chasing down Walz after because he can take a pounding. Jimmy Death Flags barely managed to scrape a kill on him on the last turn as he was heading to the last camp. It's beyond me how people A rank this on the first time.

Edit: Thank you game for the mercy of not permanently killing my scout that got caught in an avalanche.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 15, 2018

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

You can one turn that mission if you bring three lancers (one with a command point), direct command them all south and in a horizontal line, and roll Hafen up behind them. You'll reliably kill him so long as your engineer keeps them all stocked.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Me, after 50 hours of play: oh hey Claude Wallace and Klaus Walz are pretty similar names aren't they

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I thought the only place where people question why a new game costs new game prices was steam.

Seventy bucks is not a "new game price" you weaboo

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Me after 50 hours of play: whoa you can one shot the final boss if you stack orders on a grenadier.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's all the funnier when you realize this let's you do the hard version immediately afterwards and it plays exactly the same because the tank hauling the grenadier to his spawn dont care about enemies getting bumped to lvl 30 with the best gear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Seventy bucks is not a "new game price" you weaboo

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

It's all the funnier when you realize this let's you do the hard version immediately afterwards and it plays exactly the same because the tank hauling the grenadier to his spawn dont care about enemies getting bumped to lvl 30 with the best gear.

Post game spoilers There is some difference. You need the high level gear so that you can peel as many turrets from the supper tank as possible with the minimum amount of turn expenditure or else the apc will be shredded by just the anti infantry turrets. Also is their anyway to get back Raz as a usable unit or is he gone forever?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Post game spoilers There is some difference. You need the high level gear so that you can peel as many turrets from the supper tank as possible with the minimum amount of turn expenditure or else the apc will be shredded by just the anti infantry turrets. Also is their anyway to get back Raz as a usable unit or is he gone forever?

Once you've beaten the campaign, clear the hard skirmish "Beneath the Frost" and you should get an extra scene in Chapter 13. Then Raz will show up on the Cenotaph.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 15, 2018

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Hunt11 posted:

Postgame Spoilers: If you're doing the mortar trick you don't need to worry about Belgar getting a shot off even on hard mode. Just park the APC behind the little ridge about halfway up the side of the map, he won't make it far enough inland to get an angle on you and if you've got a moderately high-rank AT mortar you can still cap him instantly.

I can safely say that levelling the postgame characters to the point where I can get their squad stories is a pain in the arse but if they're all as good as Christel's it will be worth it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Hunt11 posted:

Nah, I did the exact same thing i did first go with one modification immediately.

claude takes the lead and takes out the mortars with the cannon(the only difference) then him and Dan tag team their way across the map to get Dan over by riley's exit point and kill off the Lancers. run riley to the objective and then dump the grenadiers behind an ice rock. turn 2 buff up one of them and 1 hit the boss across the water.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, I did the exact same thing i did first go with one modification immediately.

claude takes the lead and takes out the mortars with the cannon(the only difference) then him and Dan tag team their way across the map to get Dan over by riley's exit point and kill off the Lancers. run riley to the objective and then dump the grenadiers behind an ice rock. turn 2 buff up one of them and 1 hit the boss across the water.

:ssh: you don't even need to get Riley to the objective, you win the mission when the boss dies so you can just use your first phase to set up for the kill

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So for the first mission of chapter 17, is there a way to do this so the hafen, the cactus, and half my squad don't get deleted before I even get a turn? This seems impossible.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Not really. Ship Order your tank back in and roll with it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You just kind of have to hope that nobody gets killed. It's not great.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I find that the only thing really at risk are your tanks due to exposed radiator shots.

Also just reached the challenge maps and they really are something else.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of radiator shots, are the radiator resist upgrades anything other then a complete and utter waste of cash? I figure the damage multiplier against the radiator is so big the upgrades would be pointless. Or they'd be insanely OP.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They definitely won't stop an ultimate tank from one-shotting the Cactus.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Leal posted:

Speaking of radiator shots, are the radiator resist upgrades anything other then a complete and utter waste of cash? I figure the damage multiplier against the radiator is so big the upgrades would be pointless. Or they'd be insanely OP.

they stop chip damage when you're shuttling around from shocktroopers and such

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I beat it with an A rank because the boss decided to harass the cactus and Nico at the south base without actually killing them for most of the mission and I got really lucky with Lily, of all people.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For that mission I just ran around with the Glory as it was the easiest way to go tank hunting and with the way that the map was set up I could just send people out from the center to cap the bases after being cleared out by either storm troopers or naval bombardment.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
first turn, drop an arch on the boss, which was at the east gate for me, i think it might be random, grab the west base with a scout officer + direct commanded lancer to deal with the ultimate tank near it, then run the hafen south to kill the tank in that direction and overwatch the south base.

second turn, summon a shocktrooper to the west base, grab the south base with a scout or something now that the shocktrooper in it has committed suicide by hafen, run kai forward to deal with the cluster of enemy snipers and grenadiers to the northeast, then apc rush the northeast base (grenadier has to go first because he has the mortar which drains AP on hit)

third turn, the situation at your home base is probably a shambles, but it doesn't matter. use All Units Defend, direct command rush the northwest base from the west base. just run through the turret, it won't kill you with defense up. keep moving or the grenadiers will get you. then use the units that you used to seize the NE base last turn to run around the east side of the map to the east base and seize it from behind the gatling turret.

e: the overarching idea here is to move quickly enough to negate the enemy reinforcement waves by capturing bases before they can spawn. without the reinforcements, the enemy just doesn't have enough units on the ground to oppose infantry rushes.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 19, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

All Units Defend is secretly the most broken order in VC1+4

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Actually it's Attack Weak Spot in VC4, and Penetration in VC1 and VC3.

(But you're not wrong, Defense is the "most bang for the buck" as you can possibly get. On the flip side, Attack Boost order is loving worthless)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

now lookie here son THIS is how you kill a tank just watch

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I finished the game today and just have to go back and clean up some post game stuff. I like that it had less annoying missions than VC1 but I feel the story was worse.

Squad wise I started off liking the VC1 side characters more but by the end of 4 I ended up with a crew I enjoyed. Mostly stuck with Nico, Vancey, Lily, Aluard, Odin, Aoife. VC1 had Vyse, Aika, and Fina though.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, some of the post-game stuff here is loving bullshit. I hope you like 5 billion mortars.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Really Pants posted:

now lookie here son THIS is how you kill a tank just watch

Still just a rookie :smug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Azathoth256 posted:

To be fair, some of the post-game stuff here is loving bullshit. I hope you like 5 billion mortars.

Yeah, but by post game Claude is a freaking sniper with his main gun and can 1 shot them from out of range. And in general they tend to be less hidden around corners and on rooftops where he can take that shot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth256 posted:

Embrace the barrage ability and armored treads.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you're specifically talking about Into The Woods (where you don't have a tank), that mission becomes pretty easy when you realize you can clear out the entire east side before taking any moves on the west and still have enough time to a-rank

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The challenge maps (and hard maps to some extent) are designed to stop rushing, and while it's somewhat successful mortars everywhere does get real loving old.

Also I highly recommend you upgrade the Hafen for the challenge maps, as you will use it heavily.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VC4 is a few bucks off on Steam this week, and the original is only $8 if you want to see how we suffered back in my day when tanks cost 2 CPs, uphill, in the snow, both ways.

Another piece of DLC is out too--A Captainless Squad.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 26, 2018

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I thought Scout rushing was dead until I only B-ranked the chapter 2 mission where you bump into enemy tanks in the fog. A-ranked it with a defense buffed scout but it still annoys me that I still have to resort to this type of cheese.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It doesn't work in every mission bit it's definitely still there.

I do find shocktroopers more useful than scouts generally now though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

scouts are good for scouting, immersion ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's still a ridiculous amount of missions where scoutrushing is still overpowered. Especially now with the APC.