Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Black Stones posted:

Apparently there’s supposed to be another piece of free DLC to people who pre-ordered game but I didn’t get anything.

Digital copies got one of the first season pass items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Lancers, I have read in a review that Grenadiers make them somewhat redundant since you can aim for their weakspot without having the circle around.

Personally, I kind of think that it is bullshit because

1. The review in question was Ars Technica, and I can't say I trust them for reviews
2. I played the demo and while Grenadiers are awesome I wouldn't count on them to make a pinpoint shot.

Still, I am curious if that has been anyone else's experience.

In theory you could, if you manage to aim the cursor right over the radiator it'll show "To kill:1", but actually landing one of those shots doesn't seem likely.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I wish Lancers had like, a sidearm or something. Their movement range is actually pretty okay now, but there's so many dead turns of pure movement with them if you want to keep them in position to do anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hello, I am brain damaged and can't figure out how to get my characters to climb over sandbags? This is on PC with a keyboard, it doesn't give a button prompt to press.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Hello, I am brain damaged and can't figure out how to get my characters to climb over sandbags? This is on PC with a keyboard, it doesn't give a button prompt to press.

I think you just need to keep pressing the direction toward the sandbag and they will do it automatically?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I think you just need to keep pressing the direction toward the sandbag and they will do it automatically?

Weird, I don't understand what is going on. I was doing that and the characters seemed to just be getting stuck.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Try crouching next to a sandbag first and then pushing forward to vault over. I believe a little indicator will come up when you can vault.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
life advice; always deploy an engineer with you. riley's ammo gluttony aside they're actually not awful in everyway this time, they're basically shittier scouts and even share the rifle, just with a bad accuracy stat.

also; leveling up a class to 10 doesn't make them elites this time so no need to rush scouts for that rifle grenade. . .

lancers remain strongly use impaired.

I said come in! posted:

Weird, I don't understand what is going on. I was doing that and the characters seemed to just be getting stuck.

you can't do it on the very sides, it has to be in the middle like, 2/3s. Just keep walking into it and they'll hop over.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

why did they show me a dude with a helmet that said Ez on it in a cutscene and not have that person actually be usable. <:mad:>

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lancers were vastly more useful in 2 and 3 because you could instantly deploy soldiers from camps. take a camp with a scout, then pop a lancer and start going after all the tanks you passed whose butts are facing you. in 4, they are what makes the apc worth using.

engineers are also more useful now because tanks only cost 1 ap to move and there is no experience from kills, so there's no reason not to get up in there and let it take some hits. taking an engineer buddy along with your tank still helps with mines, too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

also because anti-tank guns can and will one shot you if that actually connects...

engineers being able to magic revive is nice. engineers are good, to bad they don't have WAR TRUMPETS

edit: also nvm I'm a dumb idiot, elite classes are 11 and rifle grenades remain a thing

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 27, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Based on the demo's bonus mission I assume Minerva is busted due to being a scout and healing from murder.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jesus Christ the rank requirements for mission 6 are insane. Don't even remotely bother trying for an A until postgame.

Also, I'm pleased to report that Viola does have a squad story, as part of Team Assholes. I'm assuming now that literal everyone is part of one, which is great.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Who with? So far I know there's...

Nino, Rosetta and Godwin
Theresa, Jester and Collin? (The writer grenadier)
Dan and Aluard (and Claude?)
Curtis, Eileen and Laurent
Fleurt, Rebecca and Mabel

The stories need certain chapter progression to unlock, too, as it they have a mission each that repurposes a campaign map as usual. I'm pretty sure you have to hit the use requirements again after you get to the map, too, so that's annoying.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
For Siegval 1:

Just load your two top right dudes (use two shock troopers) into the APC, and move up the right but don't trigger the assault tanks, and use the shocktroopers to clean out the right base/cap it/load them back in. Use Kai (insert sniper of your choice/APC gun) to shoot the ragnite barrel near the closest pillbox and blow it up, and kill the sniper in the tower. Everybody else can just stand still (although you may want to put your dudes in the base in cover so they don't get killed by rushing stormtroopers or an errant tank shot). Next turn drive your APC all the way to the enemy base as far as it can go in 3 CP then unload all your shocktroopers murder the scout and the gatling from behind (grenade the scout first) then cap the base. You do need to move quickly when you unload else you'll get owned by grenadiers.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 27, 2018

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
PSA: Tanks fire their main AP cannon when support firing with Lancers at a tank. It turned a potshot into a kill for me early on. Not sure if tanks support other dudes with machine guns or not, will have to check when I get home from work.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Who with? So far I know there's...

Nino, Rosetta and Godwin
Theresa, Jester and Collin? (The writer grenadier)
Dan and Aluard (and Claude?)
Curtis, Eileen and Laurent
Fleurt, Rebecca and Mabel

The stories need certain chapter progression to unlock, too, as it they have a mission each that repurposes a campaign map as usual. I'm pretty sure you have to hit the use requirements again after you get to the map, too, so that's annoying.

It's Viola, Emmy, and Simon

Also I really hope that like all of Vancey's potentials flip after her story because holy poo poo she is laughably terrible.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 27, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I've only ever played VC1, I loved the gamplay and everything but eventually the fact that 'rush everything with a single scout' being the easiest/best/most viable strategy for literally everything annoyed me to the point where I stopped playing.

Have they fixed that poo poo yet? I don't know diddly about VC2/3.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
that's discussed in the OP

from what I've played the maps start punishing you for doing that as early as chapter 5

the introduction of grenadiers also punish you for doing those sorts of tactics

I have no doubt that you can still break the game late game by spamming orders on scouts though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i unlocked nico and rosetta's story without ever once using godwin. sadly, despite using ferrier and jean as my first choices for shocktroopers and lancers in every mission they have yet to unlock one. i suppose it must be one of the later maps.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Going by this thread (tw: gamefaqs) you only need to get one of each trio to Corporal via repeated use to unlock the side stories: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227812-valkyria-chronicles-4/76899068 There's a list of who's in which side stories in that thread as well.

I really like the way they've changed the balance without nerfing or buffing anything too hard. Lancers and Snipers have more AP so you actually reposition them, Direct Command and the APC let you move people around without having to rush bases and forward deploy, Grenadiers make scout rushes trickier, AT interception fire making the tank less invincible... they've clearly put a lot of thought into it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gato posted:

Going by this thread (tw: gamefaqs) you only need to get one of each trio to Corporal via repeated use to unlock the side stories: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227812-valkyria-chronicles-4/76899068 There's a list of who's in which side stories in that thread as well.

I really like the way they've changed the balance without nerfing or buffing anything too hard. Lancers and Snipers have more AP so you actually reposition them, Direct Command and the APC let you move people around without having to rush bases and forward deploy, Grenadiers make scout rushes trickier, AT interception fire making the tank less invincible... they've clearly put a lot of thought into it.

Actually, you just need to use members of the trio a combined X (50?) times, no need to focus on a single person. The other condition is having all 3 members of the trio unlocked. Most just show up on their own as the story progresses, but there are two that you might have to go out of our way for:

Gertrude* only shows up if you have a million ValkyriaBucks on hand (this is different from the achievement that just requires earning a million over the course of the game). Just don't spend all your money on tank upgrades and weapons you don't need and you'll unlock her easily enough, because later missions give a ton of money. She's a Shocktrooper and you have a ton of those, so no need to beeline for her.

Eileen* only shows up if her brother, Kurt* (Scout) gets downed during battle. No need to pick him up, just run him into an enemy then finish the mission with someone else and she should show up immediately. She's an engineer.

*All names from the japanese version, the might be spelled differently

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Agent355 posted:

So I've only ever played VC1, I loved the gamplay and everything but eventually the fact that 'rush everything with a single scout' being the easiest/best/most viable strategy for literally everything annoyed me to the point where I stopped playing.

Have they fixed that poo poo yet? I don't know diddly about VC2/3.

Asking in the same vein, how open are the missions this time around in terms of how you approach them? One thing that annoyed me about VC1 was that some of the later missions turned out to be very gimmicky, with basically one way to win them that you might have to figure out through trial and error and possibly an annoying gotcha at the halfway point (e.g. the giant-tank one).

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

If it was any other game I'd feel bad about getting permadeath on the first level. However, it wouldn't be Valkyria Chronicles if a scout didn't get hung up on a glitchy piece of terrain and get swiss cheese'd.

Also confirming that undocked switch mode plays pretty great and while I can notice a slight difference, it's not enough that I'd want to play docked over undocked.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don’t like the delay when pressing r1 to enter target mode. I know you can’t cancel a run into it but when I stop and I’m mashing r1 just put me in that mode. I’ve had units knocked out because they wouldn’t go into targeting mode when I pressed the button and got overwatched to death.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Overbite posted:

I don’t like the delay when pressing r1 to enter target mode. I know you can’t cancel a run into it but when I stop and I’m mashing r1 just put me in that mode. I’ve had units knocked out because they wouldn’t go into targeting mode when I pressed the button and got overwatched to death.

That's by design, and should factor into your unit movement.

VC2 gave you a much longer reprieve when entering Target mode, which you could abuse by going in and out of whilst inching forward between each activation. The window would be just long enough that you could cheese all reaction fire this way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Perestroika posted:

an annoying gotcha at the halfway point (e.g. the giant-tank one).

They're still in the game. Just summon a tank boss and have enemies spawn in random spots of the map, then fail me if they take a single base. Thats not aggravating or anything. Now I know next time I do this mission I should hold off on capturing the last base, make sure my troops are in all positioned in a defensive spot, THEN capture the last base so my troops are killed by enemy troops that just spawn off the edge of the map and, I dunno, alpha strike the Hafen cause 2 lancers spawned right next to it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

OP, please rename thread to - Valkyria Chronicles 4: My Tank is Wife

Alternatively, if you want to make it a VC megathread, I've got a wall of text sitting somewhere in a Google Doc that I can revisit and finish for you. I had hoped to finish it before VC4, but work is pretty intense right now.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there is a very important question

is there still an anti-armor infantry trooper who can win a slugging match with a tank anyone powered solely by how much he enjoys having sex with men tanks

ftfy

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I know this game isn't VC2, but the moment they show Riley being afraid of fire near the beginning of the game, I immediately thought 'so who's gonna set themselves of fire to cure her phobia'.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I gotta admit, the one thing I wasn't expecting to miss from the first game was the overly excited R&D dude. Like when I upgrade all my stuff I am disappointed I don't have him there to make me feel better.

Edit: I miss you Leon Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R64k-ssdFu0

waah fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 27, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The thing I missed the most is the old training field dude that seemed to watch Full Metal Jacket exactly once and based his entire take on Hartman

Now I just got mean waifu and to be honest... I kind of have enough of those already I don’t need more

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm only on chapter 5 or so but I sincerely hope Raz gets shot in the face, other than him I really like the story and characters so far, also replacing the stupid winged pig with a Shiba is great

fake edit I had to stop using the one sniper with flowers in her hair because she'd let out a very anime KYAAAH whenever she'd shoot

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why would you want to use any sniper other then Kai who is perfect and my wife.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Leal posted:

well, you always start with kai when possible, so if you want to deploy a sniper deep in the map it has to be someone other than kai.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah I needed a second sniper, and Kai inexplicably whiffed like 5 easy headshots the last time I played and im still irritated about it so she might ride the pine a bit

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The best non-Kai sniper so far is the One-Punch Man looking guy

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Leal posted:

Because Aladdin is perfect, beautiful and shiny

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Do we have internet outrage over how dare they include a black woman with braids in an anime game yet?

Or am I just overly loving cynical of this 2018 timeline

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

waah posted:

Do we have internet outrage over how dare they include a black woman with braids in an anime game yet?

Or am I just overly loving cynical of this 2018 timeline

They're too busy complaining about the male feminist and the male to female transexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who is the male feminist, again?