Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really liking this game so far, it has better maps and the missions now punish scout spam and instead have you do actual tactical thinking to win, the gameplay got back to its origins after the turd that was azure revolution and the characters on the party are pretty nice. The new Grenadier Class also adds a good counter to enemy turrets and guys hidden on sandbags that you could only deal before with close range explosives and the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I found out yesterday that this was out on Switch, which is awesome. I'm gonna pick it up soon, I loved the first game but never played any of the sequels.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i dont remember intercepting fire being this lethal in 1 which is cool

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I just played the first game this past summer and loved it. Did everything possible in the game and kept playing more just to try skimming my turn count in skirmishes. Not getting this right now but definitely will feast on it in the future.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

i dont remember intercepting fire being this lethal in 1 which is cool

The grenadier enemies also have intercepting mortars which slow you and deal a shitload of damage which hosed me up real hard on a stage and made me restart before realizing i had to send my reinforcements to kill them from behind :doh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

On the other hand this goes both ways so the feel of when I put my grenadier and two shocktroopers to defend a tight killing zone and they annhilate the waves of retarded imperial troops charging it with intercepting fire is a real Goomba Stomp for me

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

:blastu:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

How does this run on switch?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Badass....

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

How does this run on switch?

p good

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

just did the first chapter but new troops are good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

well game gave me an apc 4 chapters in, to me to never use the tank

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agean90 posted:

well game gave me an apc 4 chapters in, to me to never use the tank

Good luck, those loving anti-tank guns can shred the APC in seconds

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yeah when i actually started the mission i realized they'd added in more things than i thought. man thats a good rear end missions to throw you right into.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I was looking forward to this and was happy to play it today. Although within 30 minutes of the start of the game and all within the span of two minutes I was annoyed by the anime nonsense when: A) two boys are embarrassed about maybe having to wash some girl's underwear, and then B) some other girl who is embarrassed that some other boy has seen her underwear stomps that other boy in the face, who C) is in turn embarrassed because the girl who stomped him in the face thinks that he saw her underwear when he really didn't - and of course all of it was a terrible misunderstanding about girls' underwear.

I really do like the game, and I really did like the original, but sheesh. I just want to press X through all of the nonsense and get to the missions. Can someone tell me who the fun units to have on your squad are? Simon is fun, the drunk girl is fun, and nobody else really stands out to me.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the story and characters are even worse than the first game but the gameplay maps have started getting much better in chapter 4, which is the last chapter I've done. Definitely feels like there's more talking and it's bad.

Seems like you get soldiers in a somewhat random order like VC1. I like using characters that have a bunch of negative traits since the game's not too hard but it's worth using a bunch of characters because I think doing so is what unlocks the sub-squad events, which are mini-chapters that have some story and a battle and end up unlocking/changing characters' potentials.

I like the girl in the helmet and the mom lancer.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I was looking forward to this and was happy to play it today. Although within 30 minutes of the start of the game and all within the span of two minutes I was annoyed by the anime nonsense when: A) two boys are embarrassed about maybe having to wash some girl's underwear, and then B) some other girl who is embarrassed that some other boy has seen her underwear stomps that other boy in the face, who C) is in turn embarrassed because the girl who stomped him in the face thinks that he saw her underwear when he really didn't - and of course all of it was a terrible misunderstanding about girls' underwear.

I really do like the game, and I really did like the original, but sheesh. I just want to press X through all of the nonsense and get to the missions. Can someone tell me who the fun units to have on your squad are? Simon is fun, the drunk girl is fun, and nobody else really stands out to me.

Can you explain gamers gate?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

HORMELCHILI posted:

Can you explain gamers gate?

Anything for you big boy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Anything for you big boy

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Got back to playing this weekend and the the pre-order dlc missions were really good even though they recycled the maps. Having a predetermined team and no orders makes the tactical poo poo more interesting. On chapter 10 and so far the maps are lot better than the first game since the number of gimmick maps are way toned down and I hope it stays that way.

The new class is cool for both the player and enemy though they kind of make lancers even more useless than they already were.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are any of the game’s in between this one and the first Valkyrie Chronoclrd any good? As far as I was aware this was a franchise that was considered to have lost its way.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Are any of the game’s in between this one and the first Valkyrie Chronoclrd any good? As far as I was aware this was a franchise that was considered to have lost its way.

2 did the anime trope high school setting thing and caused everyone to bail, that's where the "lost its way" thing is from. 3 was JP only as a result but i think it's considered to be decent.

also 2 and 3 were psp games, so they're not quite as pretty and the maps are smaller

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

2 sucks, and all of its best maps get reused in 3, so you can safely skip it. 3 is fun. i'd recommend it, but it's not quite as good as the first one. the maps are split up into zones you can warp between at bases because the PSP can't handle big maps, but the game is balanced around that mechanic, and it adds a new element that's pretty fun.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ppl say 3 is good but i havent played it. Its jp only but theres a complete fan traslation and psp emulation is really easy

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

lmao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Bratz Waffe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The second one is Trails of Cold Steel you can't fool me

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

Ppl say 3 is good but i havent played it. Its jp only but theres a complete fan traslation and psp emulation is really easy

3 owns a lot but the last fight sucks major rear end

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh my God.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

war... war never changes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Finally finished the game, can positively say that it's the best in the series on all aspects. I'll probs go back for postgame content and the DLC though.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

i hate snow levels in all video games and this one at a train station is annoying and kind of dull and really slows my momentum on playing this

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Plutonis posted:

Really liking this game so far, it has better maps and the missions now punish scout spam and instead have you do actual tactical thinking to win, the gameplay got back to its origins after the turd that was azure revolution and the characters on the party are pretty nice. The new Grenadier Class also adds a good counter to enemy turrets and guys hidden on sandbags that you could only deal before with close range explosives and the tank.

lol this guynhas the most annoying voiceline when he 1 shots someone. fuxking hate him

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

insane anime posted:

i hate snow levels in all video games

Huh??!

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

theyre depressing. i hate snow

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I got all the medals and A ranked all the battles.

• Locked thread