Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´m currently trying to look at the Magus class and I was just wondering if there´s some decent mulitclassing potential in it or are you better of going all in for it?

You're better off going all in on it except for a few edge cases like grabbing a level of scaled fist to get Cha to AC for an Eldritch Scion or maybe 4 levels of Dragon Disciple for an Eldritch Scion (personally I was rather unimpressed with this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´m currently trying to look at the Magus class and I was just wondering if there´s some decent mulitclassing potential in it or are you better of going all in for it?

The charisma based one goes great with a level of the charisma based monk, a small dip into vivisectionist works great for sword saint. Don't play a lot of the base magus, but seeing as how little time you'll spend at max level dipping into other classes to make the early game easier is a better payoff than going for the pure class captstones.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

You're better off going all in on it except for a few edge cases like grabbing a level of scaled fist to get Cha to AC for an Eldritch Scion or maybe 4 levels of Dragon Disciple for an Eldritch Scion (personally I was rather unimpressed with this).

malhavok posted:

The charisma based one goes great with a level of the charisma based monk, a small dip into vivisectionist works great for sword saint. Don't play a lot of the base magus, but seeing as how little time you'll spend at max level dipping into other classes to make the early game easier is a better payoff than going for the pure class captstones.
Thanks for the help. I was mainly looking at the Scion or the Sword Saint since it seems that the base Magus seems a bit lacking compared to the subclasses. I´ve had this game for a year now but I´m still flabbergasted at the giant amount of feats that you need to hardcore preplan your attributes and skills unless you want to screw up your build.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

Vanilla Magus is better off pure, Edlritch Archer mostly as well.
Sword Saint can be multiclassed with rogue (3-4 levels for finesse and uncanny dodge), duelist and aldori swordlord if you choose dueling sword. It gets most of it's great features by lv 11 and you will have good spellcasting and arcanas by then. Monk splash if you minmax the stats since he is not fighting in heavier armor also works.

Scion is the king of multiclassing. You can get dips from the classes that benefit from good charisma and scale well (1 lv of Scaled fist , 2 of Paladin for saves,1-4 Thug for intimidation boosts,2 levels of archaeologist). You can also go Dragon Disciple (usually people get 4 levels for stats) and then 7-10 levels of martial classes, like 2h fighter, freebooter if you can afford some wis or slayer. This works great for strength/intimidation builds.

You could actually make a Scion/Thug/Archaeologist/Paladin/Scaled Fist/Dragon Disciple monstrosity and it would be effective.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

You could actually make a Scion/Thug/Archaeologist/Paladin/Scaled Fist/Dragon Disciple monstrosity and it would be effective.
Thanks for the help, it´s really appreciated.

Don´t get me wrong but I´d love to see the face my PnP dungeonmaster would make if I were to try to justify that multiclass for him.

EDIT: Since I´ve never got very far in this game I just wonder if there are any decent weapons for a Magus that I should beeline for?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

Thanks for the help, it´s really appreciated.

Don´t get me wrong but I´d love to see the face my PnP dungeonmaster would make if I were to try to justify that multiclass for him.

EDIT: Since I´ve never got very far in this game I just wonder if there are any decent weapons for a Magus that I should beeline for?

There are scimitars specifically for magus class you find in the game (+2 on top of their standard bonus when you deliver a touch spell). For some decent progression throughout the game instead of just endgame ones or locked behind artisans/arcane requirements, there are dueling swords and rapiers.
Longswords have one of the single best weapons a martial could want and if you have the Varnhold lot's DLC, you can get a bullshit falcata.

Still, unless you are a sword saint and choose your weapon early on, you do not need to worry about it too much. Even if you take weapon focus for a feat chain, you can use other weapons just fine (that +1 will be covered easily after just a few levels).
Heck, some builds do not even use spell combat so they just use two handed weapons.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
...And I nearly lost my game. To the Crafted Items mod. Which wasn't even active.

I tried it out, had fun, then my game started crashing as soon as I tried to equip anything I crafted. So I disabled the mod, which SHOULD have reverted every crafted item to vanilla. However, at some point I sold one crafted item to a vendor in my capital, which resulted in my character trapped in their throne room. Had to revert to my last manual save, go into town, buy everything that *might* have been crafted, then go out and dump them in a random encounter. So, back to a functioning game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are there any decent guides for this game? I've bought this game during the Steam summer sale. I can't seem to find any organized place that hosts them. My latest attempt was looking at youtube videos, where I found a monk guide that looked reasonable to me. But then I looked at the youtubers other videos to see whether he had guides for other classes, and his three latest vids were titled "The Woke Left Comes For The Star Spangled Banner", "People Are Getting MURDERED For Saying All Lives Matter" and "Trump Drops Nuclear Red Pill, Says More White People Are Shot By Cops", so he's out. Him naming his monk "Death", and stating he names all his characters "Death" should have tipped me off, but alas.

I've started the game as the default paladin, I've always been a paladin fan. But now I've read several people who claim that physical classes are much weaker than casters? Is that true? I also like playing clerics, or the martial spellcasters introduced to the PC D&D games in NWN 2 I think (i.e. Eldritch Knigh), is magus viable? The non-Trumpist video guide claimed that magus is too much a master-of-none. I've also noticed that I'm right now stuck with two physical attackers and one inferior spellcaster in my bard, so perhaps it wouldn't hurt to bring a bit more magical muscle at the start?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Mages aren't half as good without their martial beatsticks in this game, don't let anyone fool you otherwise. Crowd control spells are their bread and butter for most of the game. Magus is probably the best of both worlds arcane-wise since most spells beyond lv 6 are somewhat lackluster, though their DC will have some trouble keeping up depending on whether you focus on physical or magic. A proper crit based Magus will be able to pop off cc spells and then go in for the kill personally. I'd take an Arcane Scion over a Sorcerer any day, Wizard it would depend on the group level. Paladin is also good on the divine side and has no companion counterpart. Really as long as you build for crit and team feats on melee chars it's hard to go wrong

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 16, 2020

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character
I use this site. Has a bunch of main character builds, companion builds, and walkthrough stuff in the links. Strong min max tendencies in most of it, but very useful.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Braking Gnus posted:

https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character
I use this site. Has a bunch of main character builds, companion builds, and walkthrough stuff in the links. Strong min max tendencies in most of it, but very useful.

Useful site, but only if you're familiar with the Pathfinder system. Which you have to be, if you're going to min/max. A lot of the builds there are respec builds; they don't actually come into their own until lvl 10+.

The general rule is 'linear fighters, quadratic mages;' fighter-types get their tools early and build proficiency and damage steadily, while caster-types start out squishy and constantly needing rest, but as they get more spells and slots, gain versatility and damage that fighters will never get. (ability to hit touch AC, CC spells, massive fiery/icy death balls, all the cool buff spells)

To really let your casters shine, you need turn-based combat...or like to pause a LOT. Maguses in particular are a wonky class that needs round-by-round managing, to ensure you're actually using their class feature. I love their versatility; they can tank most things, have a variety of weapon/spell attacks, and can stand back and AoE if needed. (I wouldn't play the game without turn-based combat, but that's my idiosyncracy.)

Without spoiling anything, I'll say that you eventually get a Magus, a Wizard (of sorts), two Clerics, an Inquisitor, a Rogue, an Alchemist, and a Ranger, in addition to your starting party.

Short answer: play a Sylvan Sorcerer (leopard or smilodon pet). By lvl 7, you can lock down a room, blow it up, and merrily dance while your murderkitty rips up the survivors. Paladins are considered one of the most powerful classes, but I find them boring.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Are there any decent guides for this game?

Paladins are fine, but in this specific campaign there are a lot of non-evil things to deal with so they become healers/weak fighters in those cases. (as it should be)

Vivisectionist Alchemists , Inquisitors (any archtype) and Monks are pretty fun. If you want a build I've got a ton of them. Just give me a class / alignment.

Magus SHOULD be strong, but this game's engine has some flaws that give the mechanics of that class issues.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Would like a neutral monk build. Monks need to be lawful iirc? Would prefer not too much multi classing, dipping into 4 other classes for various low level bonuses is not the kind of character I like to play.

Thanks for being so helpful :)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Outside of main PC build guides this guide is pretty in depth for the actual game. It has tips on how to build the companions, lets you know how some mechanics you may not be familiar with work and is a very good walkthrough of the game if you need it. It has a better explanation of the Kingdom management stuff than the game gives you too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Would like a neutral monk build. Monks need to be lawful iirc? Would prefer not too much multi classing, dipping into 4 other classes for various low level bonuses is not the kind of character I like to play.

A couple of basic routes to look at:

- Dex and Wis, grab Crane Style ASAP, use defensive fighting, don't worry about actually dealing any damage until much later in the game.

- Dex and Wis, take 3 levels of rogue to get Dex to damage and take Accomplished Sneak Attacker for another sneak attack die. Goes well with stealth.

- Str and Wis, look for Power Attack and Dragon Style to deal more damage.

- Str and Cha (via Scaled Fist), aim for Cornugon Smash and maximum Intimidate, and switch combat targets often to keep applying Intimidate debuffs. Consider being Lawful Good with two levels of Paladin for +Cha to saves.

In any case, you want mage armor running all the time as soon as you can get it, until you can replace it with bracers of armor +4 or better.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 16, 2020

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Here's 3 options. One an offensive STR based dragon style monk, two monk/rogue builds that are highly defensive (end game tanks) with more or less sneak attack damage depending on the number of rogue levels.
Both of these builds use shatter defenses to make it easier for them to hit and in the DEX case, do sneak attack damage without people giving flank. They also include combat expertise / trip feats. It's fun to send them down to the ground and get a free hit in, then get another free hit in while they stand up. If you are applying sneak attack as well this adds up.

I used Traditional Monk over standard as the Traditional has better Willpower saves and honestly I just like it more.

The DEX based monk can go anywhere with more or less impunity once it gets going without worrying about getting hit. Send it after back line targets.
The 4 rogue levels also gives you Uncanny Dodge so you can't get flat footed, this is the bane of monks and other DEX/AC classes. You will use DEX to damage with unarmed once you get the 3rd rogue level, until then it'll feel very weak.
With Accomplished Sneak attack you'll have between 3-5 dice of sneak damage, giving an extra 10-17 points of damage per hit on average. The Dragon Style build hits harder without worrying about that, but has much less AC.

Get the first Amulet of the Might Fists and glue it on the monk's neck, upgrading it as you find better ones. Ignore the Agile versions, you won't need it. Take the best AC bracers you get and put them on the monk. Casters don't deserve them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hdV9XBZPeOiYJP3UvTn_gZyguGhtpzcs89G0NYpxGKk/edit?usp=sharing

None of these builds use cheese mechanics. (I have plenty of those, but as I play solo without companions I use every advantage I can get)

Keep in mind, you will need to look at the feats and make sure you have the skill points required. Most of the time they come in at levels based on hard capped skill requirements.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 16, 2020

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I got a question, are all the arcane and weirdly hard to find rules of the game listed anywhere? The thing that got me to ask this is getting to level 7 Sword Saint and not being able to find any explanation in-game as to why I don't have access to level 3 spells. I was only able to figure this out by googling a bunch until I found out that the class was apparently adapted from a different tabletop class that has Diminished Spellcasting which would explain it since I don't have the int for bonus level 3 spells at this point. However, I'm not sure Diminished Spellcasting is listed anywhere in-game or even in any online wikis or walkthroughs for the Sword Saint class which blows my mind.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I got a question, are all the arcane and weirdly hard to find rules of the game listed anywhere? The thing that got me to ask this is getting to level 7 Sword Saint and not being able to find any explanation in-game as to why I don't have access to level 3 spells. I was only able to figure this out by googling a bunch until I found out that the class was apparently adapted from a different tabletop class that has Diminished Spellcasting which would explain it since I don't have the int for bonus level 3 spells at this point. However, I'm not sure Diminished Spellcasting is listed anywhere in-game or even in any online wikis or walkthroughs for the Sword Saint class which blows my mind.
https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Magus
which links you to
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo-magus-archetypes/kensai/
This and
https://aonprd.com/
are pretty handy resources for Pathfinder, just remember that certain things have been modifier by Owlcat for the game (like what Blind Fight offers you)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Magus
which links you to
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo-magus-archetypes/kensai/
This and
https://aonprd.com/
are pretty handy resources for Pathfinder, just remember that certain things have been modifier by Owlcat for the game (like what Blind Fight offers you)

Yeah those look pretty handy, time to trawl through

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I've heard that it is possible to reach level 2 in the tutorial mission. Is there a guide for that somewhere?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There’s a beta starting today for the turn-based patch.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Anno posted:

It also has controller support

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
New to this game, true to Baldur's Gate style form I've rerolled a ton and spent way too much time theorycrafting builds. I think I've settled on something like:

1 Monk
4 Knife Master (Rogue)
5 Duelist
10 Vivisectionist (Alchemist)

with a sai for Flurry of Blows attacks. Probably go Motherless Tiefling for the extra bite attack? Alchemist feral mutagen gets me an additional bite and a claw attack, Knife Master a bunch of 1d8 sneak attacks and good AC from Monk and Duelist. General idea is a high-AC tank with a ton of attacks.

edit: Aasimar would give a lot better Dex and Cha or Wis than Motherless, the extra bite is probably not worth the worse stats.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 20, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

New to this game, true to Baldur's Gate style form I've rerolled a ton and spent way too much time theorycrafting builds. I think I've settled on something like:

1 Monk
4 Knife Master (Rogue)
5 Duelist
10 Vivisectionist (Alchemist)

with a sai for Flurry of Blows attacks. Probably go Motherless Tiefling for the extra bite attack? Alchemist feral mutagen gets me an additional bite and a claw attack, Knife Master a bunch of 1d8 sneak attacks and good AC from Monk and Duelist. General idea is a high-AC tank with a ton of attacks.

edit: Aasimar would give a lot better Dex and Cha or Wis than Motherless, the extra bite is probably not worth the worse stats.

If you want to take maximum advantage of Flurry of Blows, it may be worth it getting Monk up to 11(you get another Additional attack at highest BaB).
If you want to tank really well, going for Crane style feats with a single level is probably better (vivisectionist also gives you preserve organs for critical mitigation).
Also, fair warning, Sais kinda suck (as in, the game gives you very few ones to wield).

I actually did a Monk/Rogue build once, though it was a Scaled Fist/Thug 4 and 2 levels of Archaeologist for Maximum skill efficiency and Intimidation boosts while fighting defensively with Crane Style.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Anno posted:

But it doesn't work with mods yet, so if you wanted to use new classes/races, wait a bit.

(I checked. It doesn't even start up with Call of the Wild.)

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have played a bit. I like it. As far as I can tell their turn-based integration is very similar to the mod. Though I never used the mod though so I am not sure. What I noticed is that some fights get a lot harder and some get easier by using turn-based. And I think they have made some changes to the AI too. F.ex when attacking Tartuccio under the tree his fireball used to target the closest of your party members but now he seems to switch target to at least try not to hit himself with it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sometimes this game pisses me off a bit

Like during the Varnhold chapter you get a sidequest to figure out what happened to this dude's brother and grandfather. Did you know that if you leave turning in the latter part for after you finish the chapter, you have to enter your tavern before your throne room when you get back? If you go to the throne room first, the next chapter starts and it auto-fails! Why? gently caress knows, zero additional time has passed and the guy doesn't die during the chapter or anything so he should still be hanging out in the tavern. There aren't even any half-assed attempts to explain it like he had to go home or whatever.

I'm mostly pissed because I wasted like 45 minutes to get through all the throne-room/kingdom stuff + sell and distribute my poo poo + level up all the backbenchers before I realized this and had to reload.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Tenebrous Depths final boss is in no way loving around huh

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Tenebrous Depths final boss is in no way loving around huh

They have a bunch of mind effecting abilities that work even if you have that anti-mind effecting kingdom upgrade which was annoying. I don't think their DPS is too crazy though once you get a handle of things/stabilize your party.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Insurrectionist posted:

Sometimes this game pisses me off a bit

Like during the Varnhold chapter you get a sidequest to figure out what happened to this dude's brother and grandfather. Did you know that if you leave turning in the latter part for after you finish the chapter, you have to enter your tavern before your throne room when you get back? If you go to the throne room first, the next chapter starts and it auto-fails! Why? gently caress knows, zero additional time has passed and the guy doesn't die during the chapter or anything so he should still be hanging out in the tavern. There aren't even any half-assed attempts to explain it like he had to go home or whatever.

True spirit of hardcore RPG is when you *have* to read a guide to not fail quests and get the golden ending, separating you from filthy casuals who just play the game.

Anyway I'm glad they're releasing this final-this-time-for-sure version of the game with integrated TB mode. When using mod I was always afraid I'm getting a lot of game mechanics turned off. Like if you want to switch modes in a middle of a fight it probably instantly kills the balance.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Torrannor posted:

Are there any decent guides for this game? I've bought this game during the Steam summer sale. I can't seem to find any organized place that hosts them. My latest attempt was looking at youtube videos, where I found a monk guide that looked reasonable to me. But then I looked at the youtubers other videos to see whether he had guides for other classes, and his three latest vids were titled "The Woke Left Comes For The Star Spangled Banner", "People Are Getting MURDERED For Saying All Lives Matter" and "Trump Drops Nuclear Red Pill, Says More White People Are Shot By Cops", so he's out. Him naming his monk "Death", and stating he names all his characters "Death" should have tipped me off, but alas.

I've started the game as the default paladin, I've always been a paladin fan. But now I've read several people who claim that physical classes are much weaker than casters? Is that true? I also like playing clerics, or the martial spellcasters introduced to the PC D&D games in NWN 2 I think (i.e. Eldritch Knigh), is magus viable? The non-Trumpist video guide claimed that magus is too much a master-of-none. I've also noticed that I'm right now stuck with two physical attackers and one inferior spellcaster in my bard, so perhaps it wouldn't hurt to bring a bit more magical muscle at the start?

Probably late, but Owlcat has just tweeted this:
https://techraptor.net/gaming/guides/pathfinder-kingmaker%3Dcharacter-generation-guide

Pretty basic but you'll be surprised how many things those games hide from you. As in you can play all the BG/IWD/NWN/PF games and never know that, say, most things roll d20 in the background and so that +1 means +5% most of the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

They have a bunch of mind effecting abilities that work even if you have that anti-mind effecting kingdom upgrade which was annoying. I don't think their DPS is too crazy though once you get a handle of things/stabilize your party.

Yeah it seems to completely ignore all mind effecting defenses like Shield of Law which is annoying. Whoops you came prepared but it doesn’t matter because reasons!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I figured turn based mode was a good time to actually play this game I bought on sale two years ago and, trip report, it's still a little buggy. If you mouseover any ability with an area of effect preview while in the process of doing a move action then the game immediately locks you out of any standard action except "hit man with weapon", for instance.

I still prefer it to an IE-style pausable clusterfuck for nontrivial encounters.

That said, I really need some sort of "take 20" mod for passives. Only the most psychopathic jerk of a GM would make the player roll for non-pressured binary pass/fail actions like knowing a foreign language or being able to successfully cook pancakes like this game does, and those being random makes even less sense with quicksaves than it does in pen and paper where you ostensibly have a human to smooth out stupid random results. Doesn't look like any of the giant cheat mods that add that sort of thing work on the turn based branch though, and I'm not sure how well I could control how much impact they have.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Xerophyte posted:

I figured turn based mode was a good time to actually play this game I bought on sale two years ago and, trip report, it's still a little buggy. If you mouseover any ability with an area of effect preview while in the process of doing a move action then the game immediately locks you out of any standard action except "hit man with weapon", for instance.

Well it's still in beta. Not that I expect the game to be polished when the master branch is updated.

Does switching work well? As in can you play in TB and switch to RT as soon as you realize this is a trash fight?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Does switching work well? As in can you play in TB and switch to RT as soon as you realize this is a trash fight?

That seems to work well. I ran into some weirdness with switching into turn based once where a character was still 0.1 seconds from completing a cast when their turn came up in the order and then couldn't do anything that particular turn, but on the whole it's been smooth. Saves a lot of time on the stupid trash fights (also stupid will-o-wisp vs communal resist electricity foreverfights) versus something like Pillars 2:s whole hog conversion.

It's especially appreciated since Kingmaker's idea of a difficulty curve seems to be the Weierstrass function. So far the norm seems to be that I have no idea if a fight is going to be hard until half my party has taken an unexpected dirtnap and I hit F8.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Turns out if you Kineticist and grandmaster rod hellfire ray alpha strike the Spawn of Rovagug it doesn’t live long enough to do much

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What interests me about Octavia and Regongar is less how they differ in alignment and more how they differ on the hair alignment grid. On the one hand, Octavia's GIGANTIC 90s hair inspires existential terror. It is intimidating. She looks like she should be on the cover of a Dragonlance book. On the other hand, Regongar's sk8r boi haircut inspires pity and confusion. He looks like he should be in the crowd of a My Chemical Romance concert.

Truly, a land of contrasts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

Probably late, but Owlcat has just tweeted this:
https://techraptor.net/gaming/guides/pathfinder-kingmaker%3Dcharacter-generation-guide

Pretty basic but you'll be surprised how many things those games hide from you. As in you can play all the BG/IWD/NWN/PF games and never know that, say, most things roll d20 in the background and so that +1 means +5% most of the time.

This is very informative, thank you. I'll dig deeper later, I didn't have too much time to play Pathfinder recently. That said, I did try the monk build one kind goon recommended, and it went pretty well. One thing I've rediscovered is that I replayed BG2 tons more than BG1 is because low level D&D... kinda sucks. You do have more abilities in Pathfinder than in BG1, but I'm still really enjoying my party being level 5. I also found it kinda tough without a dedicated cleric, Linzi is not that good a healer. I took a different route from my aborted paladin run, going to the abandoned tomb after confronting the Stag Lord's men, so I could recruit the dwarf and the elf there. So I had limited healing until I got Tristian pretty far into chapter 1.

I'm a baron now, can somebody give me a generalist outlook on time limits in this game? Chapter 1 had a very generous time limit, I had more than 30 days left to explore. I probably should have cleared out every single area left, but I was excited to finally get to the part where I can manage my new kingdom. Now there's another time limit, will this be a thing the whole game? I'm not a big fan of those, I like to take my time and explore at my leisure. Some quests with time limits are okay, but if I only have so many days each chapter, and will have to decide which content not to explore, this would definitely sour my mood on the game a bit. SO before I continue, do I have to carefully plan out my playthrough so that I don't waste too much time?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I'm a baron now, can somebody give me a generalist outlook on time limits in this game? Chapter 1 had a very generous time limit, I had more than 30 days left to explore. I probably should have cleared out every single area left, but I was excited to finally get to the part where I can manage my new kingdom. Now there's another time limit, will this be a thing the whole game? I'm not a big fan of those, I like to take my time and explore at my leisure. Some quests with time limits are okay, but if I only have so many days each chapter, and will have to decide which content not to explore, this would definitely sour my mood on the game a bit. SO before I continue, do I have to carefully plan out my playthrough so that I don't waste too much time?

The entire game has a timer, but there is way, way more than enough. Generally you want to beeline the main quest asap and then use whatever you have remaining to work on your kingdom or explore until the next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Torrannor posted:

The way it'll work for most the rest of the game is that you get a Bad Event that you take care of ASAP, then a timer specifying when the next Bad Event will happen. The time limits are generous and are I think there to stop you from sitting on the barony map screen pressing "advance day" for several years to make the barony numbers go up forever. The in-game time cost for putzing around on the map is small to negligible, somewhat depending on how often you rest. You're unlikely to feel pressured.

The game blocks most of the map in early chapters, but you can go to some You're Not Supposed To Be Here Yet places and get your poo poo kicked in by monsters twice your level if that's your jam. I felt very proud when my gang of level 6s happened on a pair of level 18 or somesuch adamantine constructs that I wasn't intended to fight yet but managed to slowly grind down with Grease, Web, barbarian/vivisectionist sneak attack crits and a lot of running around like a moron.