Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I'm on the main quest bit tracking down the "seeds" infecting people, fighting through the big Goblin Fort. My party is level 10. About how far into the game am I?

So far it's alright. The combat (turn-based mode which feels right) is challenging but mostly in a good way once I got the hang of the system. My main complaints are how many repetitive trash mob fights there are and the writing is rather bland. Probably the closest recent game to compare it to is Pillars of Eternity and PoE has much much better characters and storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I accidentally got a game over on my first playthrough because the I left a chapter quest undone for too long. What happened was that I ran the dungeon, killed the boss, but didn't notice one NPC hiding in a corner I needed to talk to (%#$@!% you Maegar Varn), which left the quest incomplete. So I went back to my castle and waited for the next quest, and spent several months leveling up my advisors. There was a warning in the kingdom screen that my kingdom was going to fall, but I never saw it. Then out of nowhere, GAME OVER. So, revert save, spend 30 minutes reading guides to figure out wtf I'd missed, then go scour the dungeon 3 times over till I found the little %#@%@, and then everything was fine.

I wish PoE has turn-based mode. I loved the characters and story, but the combat was such a pain in the rear end (No, cast the spell NOW, not 5 seconds from now when everyone's moved away).

I wish there was more content. Started another playthrough, then got into the Womb of Llama-wotsit, and remembered why the main story sucks. Don't feel like slogging through that again.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I'm a baron now, can somebody give me a generalist outlook on time limits in this game?

The main thing I'd say is prioritize leveling up your stats heavily during the between-chapter downtime, it's easy to feel like you're keeping up fine and leveling well and then suddenly every single event has DCs so high they're barely in the 60% odds without the token and a distressing number is below 50% and things get very stressful.

Also be prepared to buy a lot of BP and still skipping all the trade agreements (which seem real bad for me what with even the best taking like 2 years to get even) and some of the more expensive/extraneous projects. I've bought 4500 so far and I'm like 60 - 65% through the game, though that is giving me like a 1k BP buffer as well. You still have tons of money though, I'm sitting at 350k atm I think and have a lot of random unique gear in stash that I could pawn if I wanted. Speaking of making money, also prioritize acquiring regions and getting your artisans set up ASAP once you're able.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cobalt-60 posted:

I accidentally got a game over on my first playthrough because the I left a chapter quest undone for too long. What happened was that I ran the dungeon, killed the boss, but didn't notice one NPC hiding in a corner I needed to talk to (%#$@!% you Maegar Varn), which left the quest incomplete...

I literally did this exact same poo poo and played an additional few months through the barbarian invasion and then was made King with zero context, because the cutscenes that set all that poo poo up never fired.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Time limits are basically like Persona in this game. You focus on the <current plotline> as hard as possible so you have lots of time to do <social links/kingdom management>

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Finally finished my playthrough, sort of. Talk about ending on a low note.

I didn't have any problem with any time limit until the end where I was hoping to do the Big Optional Dungeon at my leisure after getting everything else cleared but, nope, hard time limit throwing bullshit events at you and entering the finale to clear it autofails every other remaining quest in the game. Partly that's on me for intentionally delaying it, but I really wasn't expecting the game to be that dumb about time at the very end. What balance could I possibly ruin for myself by delaying the final fight?

The Against All Odds dungeon was everything I hate about high level d&d shoved into one crappy gimmick dungeon and another thing that seriously soured me on the finale. Yes, I can bypass 98% of the assorted fight gimmicks by being diligent about keeping up death ward and holy aura. That is not particularly riveting gameplay. The combat was still aggressively sloggy, the exploration gimmick was annoying and didn't play nice with the map and just, ugh. Awful.

Worst is that the scripting just broke on a number of things closer to the end. The twins' quest stopped advancing, one large sidequest just stopped working and, most egregiously, the final pre-ending encounter completely bit the shed. It played two ending choice dialogues at once and then showed the slides where my final choice was something completely different than I thought I picked and the last optional chapter of the game got skipped.

I really don't have the stomach for trying to replay from some point where I can unfuck all the things that got hosed, or even just unfuck the ending. If ever I do revisit the game I'm just going to cheat the hell out of everything past level 8 or so. The only way the game could inject challenge on Challenging was by either throwing me into highly unfavorable ambushes or throwing a ton of save-or-die effects on me, both of which are frustrating-difficult and not tactically-interesting-difficult. It's partly a problem with d20 as a system favoring pass/fail randomness in a way that's really unfun when you don't have a GM to scale things on the fly, partly a problem with how Kingmaker specifically designed its fights, dungeons and gear.

Turn based was a lot of fun early on, but lost a lot of lustre as the game wore on and fights kept getting longer, easier and more random.

It's still a good BG-like but there's just a lot of potential wasted by poor scripting and praying at the altar of misguided grognardism.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Finally finished my playthrough, sort of. Talk about ending on a low note.

I didn't have any problem with any time limit until the end where I was hoping to do the Big Optional Dungeon at my leisure after getting everything else cleared but, nope, hard time limit throwing bullshit events at you and entering the finale to clear it autofails every other remaining quest in the game. Partly that's on me for intentionally delaying it, but I really wasn't expecting the game to be that dumb about time at the very end. What balance could I possibly ruin for myself by delaying the final fight?

The Against All Odds dungeon was everything I hate about high level d&d shoved into one crappy gimmick dungeon and another thing that seriously soured me on the finale. Yes, I can bypass 98% of the assorted fight gimmicks by being diligent about keeping up death ward and holy aura. That is not particularly riveting gameplay. The combat was still aggressively sloggy, the exploration gimmick was annoying and didn't play nice with the map and just, ugh. Awful.

Worst is that the scripting just broke on a number of things closer to the end. The twins' quest stopped advancing, one large sidequest just stopped working and, most egregiously, the final pre-ending encounter completely bit the shed. It played two ending choice dialogues at once and then showed the slides where my final choice was something completely different than I thought I picked and the last optional chapter of the game got skipped.

I really don't have the stomach for trying to replay from some point where I can unfuck all the things that got hosed, or even just unfuck the ending. If ever I do revisit the game I'm just going to cheat the hell out of everything past level 8 or so. The only way the game could inject challenge on Challenging was by either throwing me into highly unfavorable ambushes or throwing a ton of save-or-die effects on me, both of which are frustrating-difficult and not tactically-interesting-difficult. It's partly a problem with d20 as a system favoring pass/fail randomness in a way that's really unfun when you don't have a GM to scale things on the fly, partly a problem with how Kingmaker specifically designed its fights, dungeons and gear.

Turn based was a lot of fun early on, but lost a lot of lustre as the game wore on and fights kept getting longer, easier and more random.

It's still a good BG-like but there's just a lot of potential wasted by poor scripting and praying at the altar of misguided grognardism.

The twins' quest didn't stop advancing. Their final quest only happens if you reach the optional chapter.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I swapped the game on steam over to Beta to try playing it with the official turn based mode a week or so ago. Pretty fun, no real bugs, all that. Whenever it's not in beta anymore, am I going to lose my save game by any chance, or am I fine to keep playing it for now?

That said, I wish I could find another similar style of game like this, turn based, party, classes and all that. I'm aware of Divinity Sin but I'm weird and really get turned off by all the environmental stuff, it just gets on my nerves for some reason. If it was toned down some it wouldn't be a big deal though. I'm aware of the turn based thing for Pillars 2, but I dunno. I heard it sucks and doesn't work well with that system. Any suggestions? Doesn't even have to strictly be isometric as long as it has turn based, and loot and abilities and all that cool stuff.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So if you're willing to go "Ye Olde" there's Arcanum. If you're looking for newer things, there's 河洛群俠傳 (Ho Tu Lo Shu : The Books of Dragon). It's English translation is unofficial, but it's very workable. If you're okay with a more linear story and a few "This was a clearly designed to be an MMO at one point" decisions, TROUBLESHOOTER is probably the most mechanically solid game. If you're fine with departing fantasy, then ATOM RPG and Encased are basically Fallout 1/2 but made by Russians (with naturally Underrail and Wasteland 2 being slightly older takes on the concept). If Lovecraft is more your jam Stygian: Reign Of The Old Ones is decent with albeit a bit of unsatisfying ending. There's also Torment: Tides Of Numenera that while I enjoyed it I found it... Shorter than I wanted it to be.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That said, I wish I could find another similar style of game like this, turn based, party, classes and all that. I'm aware of Divinity Sin but I'm weird and really get turned off by all the environmental stuff, it just gets on my nerves for some reason. If it was toned down some it wouldn't be a big deal though. I'm aware of the turn based thing for Pillars 2, but I dunno. I heard it sucks and doesn't work well with that system. Any suggestions? Doesn't even have to strictly be isometric as long as it has turn based, and loot and abilities and all that cool stuff.

You are right that PoE2 turn-based mode has problems. People say it's better when you install mod that halves everyone's HP but I can't imagine what it does to balance. I love the game but I couldn't stomach TB playthrough. It took ages to finish even the simplest fights. I switched to easy difficulty to play for the story but everything still took forever.

Anyway I have some suggestions for you!

- Might & Magic X The Legacy - criminally overlooked. Probably because everyone assumed it's a cashgrab on part of Ubisoft. And it's not that it's a great RPG, but it's a very solid turn-based party combat-oriented RPG. It's actually more similar to Wizardry than old-school Might & Magic series. There are diverse player classes offering some replayabilities and overall I like aesthetics of this game even if it's not that great on the technical side. It's not isometric but first-person view, but it's still a party dungeon cralwer with exploration and puzzles. Yeah, it had some nice old school puzzles.

- Lords of Xulima. Similar to M&MXL but it's an indie game. Has a more hardcore feel to it, feels very ugly to me but it's OK.

- Shadowrun: Dragonfall & Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Those games are really, really good RPGs, and unlike previous ones they have proper story and dialogue and characters and decisions. The setting is unusual, it's fantasy cyberpunk. And it doesn't have as much loot and classes as you might want. But those are good.

Also might I suggest JRPGs? Quite often those games have elegant gameplay mechanics. Everyone still loves, say, Final Fantasy V, VI and Final Fantasy X. They look dated from a technical point of view but the art was crafted so well that this chiptune music still can sound magical today, and pixelated sprites aren't off-putting. The problem with JRPG is that usually it shoves the story into your throat so hard you might want to go back to storyless dungeon crawlers.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I played and really enjoyed Age of Decadence this year. Turn based combat and a really interesting world, with different storylines depending on which character class you pick.

However, mod it to double, or triple the experience rewards. Otherwise you have a like zero flexibility when it comes to your character build.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Turns out there's less turn based games with classes and parties than you'd think. Gloomhaven has a game on steam in EA right now. Its got a decent amount of content and I hear Gloomhaven is one of the best tabletop games right now. If you don't like playing an incomplete product though maybe wait.

Other than that the Banner Saga has all the things listed and is highly talked about. I got hit hard by the choice-paralysis but I want to go back to it because I do hear its a great game series. I'd also recommend Troubleshooter, its a fantastically put together game and the sheer ambition alone charmed me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you can handle the graphics, check out the Spiderweb games, particularly the Avernum series.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks guys. JRPS are alright but don't really scratch the same itch(I am slowly playing Trails in the Sky right now though). It's almost like I want general MMO feel with the stats, loot, bigger numbers, but in a full party system. I'd probably even consider not turn based as long as it wasn't hard to manage everyone all at once. Tried the dragon age games, seemed alright at first but they just get really boring for some reason. I tried picking up the first one again, which was closest to enjoyable, but I was super confused where I left off and what to do for some quests.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Thanks guys. JRPS are alright but don't really scratch the same itch(I am slowly playing Trails in the Sky right now though). It's almost like I want general MMO feel with the stats, loot, bigger numbers, but in a full party system. I'd probably even consider not turn based as long as it wasn't hard to manage everyone all at once. Tried the dragon age games, seemed alright at first but they just get really boring for some reason. I tried picking up the first one again, which was closest to enjoyable, but I was super confused where I left off and what to do for some quests.

You’re describing Dragon Age Inquisition..

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

If you want something MMO-like as in repetitive and not too complex and no story you can try Monster's Den Godfall.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Dragon's Dogma? Game's janky as gently caress but it owns hard.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Wizardry 8 checks off most of your boxes, should be worth checking out.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Patch is out.

It's friggin humongous. 20.2 GB!!!!!

Patch notes:

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

Highlights
• You can now play Pathfinder: Kingmaker with your gamepad.
• Turn-based mode is now available.

Areas
• Now, after you explored the Blackstones Ford map, you can stay in that area to collect the loot and exit when you feel like it.
• Now you can speak to Kobold Artist in the Troll Liar only once.
• Fixed the chest respawn in the endless dungeon. The chests will no longer appear in the unreachable locations.
• Some secret rooms in the endless dungeon contained no chests. Resolution: fixed.
• In the endless dungeon, certain poisons had no icons. Resolution: fixed.
• The Bandit Camp area had an incorrect name on the local map. Resolution: fixed.
• The Cloudkill effect of traps in the Vordakai Tomb had no visible text. Resolution: fixed.
• An incorrect message was displayed for one of the houses in Varnhold. Resolution: fixed.
• Fixed the issue when the innkeeper in Varnhold could hear the rioting peasants for the second time.
• Fixed the issue when characters could get stuck in some places at Jamandi’s mansion.

Quests
• After you start investigating the Season of Bloom quest and talk to Kesten, the Second Breath quest fails if you haven’t completed it before.
• In one of the options of Regongar’s final quest, it was possible to get the reward twice. Resolution: fixed.
• Fixed the issue due to which the final stage of Octavia’s and Regongar’s quest could not be completed.
• After you saved the game and then loaded it at the Capital Square during the Investigate My Death quest, Jaethal disappeared and you could not talk to her until re-entering the area. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom
• Allowing Tsanna to decide what to do about the situation while increasing Loyalty Rank to 7 led to doubling of the Rank Up project and other effects. Resolution: fixed.
Classes & Mechanics
• Now rogues can select a starknife as a weapon for Finesse Training.
• The rogue’s Finesse Training lacked nunchaku as an option. Resolution: fixed.
• The rogue’s Dispelling Attack advanced talent didn’t scale correctly with levelling up of vivisectionists and slayers. Resolution: fixed.
• Monks can now correctly activate two style strikes after 15th level.
• Sensei Advice: Mass Diamond Soul (monk’s ability) incorrectly applied the Diamond Body effect. Resolution: fixed.
• The inquisitor's progression window did not show the Greater Bane ability. Resolution: fixed.
• The DC of the inquisitor's Daze orison spell was based on the inquisitor's Charisma instead of Wisdom. Resolution: fixed.
• The cleric's Divine Fortune ability of the Luck domain was infinite per day. Resolution: fixed.
• Strength Surge (cleric's strength domain ability) didn’t work on allies. Resolution: fixed.
• The description of Sage Sorcerer has been expanded to clarify the features of this archetype.
• The kinetic knight can now correctly choose Armor Proficiency (Medium).
• Metakinesis no longer increases the burn cost of the kineticist’s wild talents.
• For the Phoenix Rising ability of the flamewarden (ranger’s archetype) it was incorrectly stated that it worked once per week while it actually worked once per day. Resolution: fixed the description.
• The Russian description of the Touch of Good ability (Good domain) incorrectly mentioned that it gave a bonus equal to the level of the class that granted access to that domain. In fact, the bonus amounted to half of the class level. Resolution: fixed.
• Harm and Inflict Wounds, Mass spells failed to check for Death Domain — Death's Embrace. Resolution: fixed.
• Channel Positive Energy — Heal Living healed golems. Resolution: fixed.
• The Reduce Person spell was affected by Spell Resistance. Resolution: fixed.
• The True Seeing spell was affected by Spell Resistance. Resolution: fixed.
• Remove Fear failed to work against Frightful Presence. Resolution: fixed.
• Magic Fang and Greater Magic Fang were not displayed on characters as an effect. Resolution: fixed.
• Mind Fog had an incorrect duration description. Resolution: fixed.
• Hardy dwarves’ racial trait now correctly works on the first saving throw against poisons afflicted by enemies' natural attacks.
• Tartuk now correctly has the Fiery Body spell.
• Fixed the issue when it was impossible to pick up the loot from enemies that were killed under the effects of the Baleful Polymorph spell.
• Attacks of opportunity in the round right after a charge action got a +2 bonus to attack rolls from the charge. Resolution: fixed.
• Using the respec on a caster that learns spells from scrolls will now refund all the extra spells this caster has learned from scrolls (so that players can go and buy other scrolls from vendors).
• The bear animal companion had a lower natural armor than intended. Resolution: fixed, the natural armor of the bear was increased.
• Even the smallest goblin alchemists now can throw bombs.
• Rapid Shot no longer applies a -2 penalty to single attacks.

Items
• Added Masterwork Throwing Axe, Masterwork Nunchaku, Throwing Axe +1 and Nunchaku +1 to the goods offered by the Honest Guy.
• Scalemail of Resistance +2 sold by the traveling merchant could be equipped only by druids, instead of all classes. Resolution: fixed.
• Sword of Eternal Servitude worked incorrectly. Resolution: fixed.
• Cloak of Sold Souls summoned a friendly Thanadaemon. Resolution: fixed.
• Thundering Claw of the Bear God didn’t work with Beast Shape III; Call Lighting was also cast if an animal companion landed a critical hit. Resolution: fixed.
• The Bladed Plate item incorrectly appeared in Kaessi’s house in the capital. Resolution: fixed.
• The Bleed effect of the Serrator weapon failed to work in the first round after successful hit. Resolution: fixed.
• Fixed issues with Gear's Rule.
• The Narrow Path amulet checked the alignment of the wearer instead of the target. Resolution: fixed.
• The Blakemoor's grimoire description wasn’t displayed properly. Resolution: fixed.
• The weapon type information was missing for oversized bastard swords. Resolution: fixed.
• Scroll of Cape of Wasps had DC equal to 0. Resolution: fixed.
• Mail of Clear Skies wasn’t considered a light armor. Resolution: fixed.
• Mail of Clear Skies had incorrect stats. Resolution: fixed.
• Disruption Thundering Heavy Flail +2 was a regular flail, not a heavy one. Resolution: fixed.
• The game mechanics information was missing for the Briar. Resolution: fixed.
• Frozen Crescent had an incorrect critical range. Resolution: fixed.
• Wand of Acid Splash had an incorrect price. There were also some scrolls with incorrect spells. Resolution: fixed.
• Adamantine Breastplate +3 had an incorrect price. Resolution: fixed.
• Singing Steel Breastplate had an incorrect price. Resolution: fixed.
• Lycanthrope Bane Disruption Club +3 had an incorrect price. Resolution: fixed.
• Fixed typos in the descriptions of the Dark Revelation, Amulet of the Dying Wisdom, Staff of the Whispering Souls, and Cord of Stubborn Fury belt.

User Interfaces
• The icon to exit the Silverstep Grove area was located too low. Resolution: fixed.
• Fixed the location of the monster names above the water elementals.
• Fixed the location of the monster icons above the slurks.
• Combat Log didn’t display rerolls. Resolution: fixed.
• Changed the color of Jaethal’s name for readability.

Miscellaneous
• Fixed multiple typos and inconsistencies in the German, French, and Chinese localizations.
• Audio: added four new voice packs for barons and baronesses.
• Autosave worked incorrectly when moving from the Other World to the Womb of Lamashtu. Resolution: fixed.
• Animation: fixed Coup de Grace animation and slipping in the Mammoth animation.
• Rain visual effects no longer freeze when switching between locations.
• Fixed a collision problem on the stairs of the Academy of Grand Arts in Pitax.

A friendly reminder: while we deeply admire the contribution that mod authors make to our game, we would like you to remember that running custom modifications can lead to unexpected bugs and crashes. Unfortunately, if you encounter any issues while playing with mods, our team will not be able to help you. If this happens, please report these issues to the mod's original creator. Also, remember that after each game update, there is a high probability of previously installed mods not functioning properly. If you wish to play with mods anyway, disabling auto-updates might prevent your save files from becoming corrupted.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
It's pretty amazing how I can recognize some bugs that were present almost two years ago.
I will eventually try one one more playthrough with the official mode before wrath comes out. I will wait for most mods that are not turn based to be updated first

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Call of the Wild and Bags of Tricks have updates, both experimental but so far working past character creation.

The official Turn Base Mode is quite nice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So to anyone whose played the new turn based patch, how does it compare to the turn based mod? Are there any functional differences, or is it a more streamlined/cleaned up version of that mod?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

chaosapiant posted:

So to anyone whose played the new turn based patch, how does it compare to the turn based mod? Are there any functional differences, or is it a more streamlined/cleaned up version of that mod?

I haven’t played the turn based mode yet. I am just quoting this post because it does not show up in the thread for me (it should be the post before this one), and it was driving me nuts. Not sure if I am the only one or if this thread and/or chaosapiant are broken.

Edit: Now it shows up for me. Magic. :v:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 25, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

The most important difference is the UI. It shows you when you have a small step available, which walk distance would start eating your standard action. Mod showed some of that on the map with a circle but here it's clearer in the UI. When you hover your mouse over place on the ground it shows the path and how much of your turn will it use; if you hover over action you'll see if it's standard or quick or free action. Turn order is biw made with portraits and you can select where to move. When you wait you can select when you want to act. In the beginning of the battle you get slight delay allowing you to switch to RT. And if like me you've enabled pause on combat start you can switch to TB at the start of RT. The button for switch is on the screen too, to you can use Ctrl+Space. Also you can speed up combat up to 10 times.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Picking this up again to mess with the turn based mode and I'm liking it. Feels more like a tactics game now and as someone who hasn't played with any PnP RPG systems before its easier to parse what is going on with dice rolls. Aiming for a more evil/chaotic this round and hopefully I'm more prepared to tackle the final boss without toning down the difficulty this time around heh.

This game has been like a surprise hit for me, bought it back in January and barely put 2 hours before drifting off. But man once I got past the staglord and city stuff gets introduced I got really hooked and engrossed.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
From what I've seen of the TB mod the built-in version is a lot more usable. The mod didn't do a great job of showing actual path distances, 5-foot steps were very inconsistent and the pathing would sometimes go haywire. With the built-in turn based mode it was very clear where and how I could move with a given action, when I'd eat an AOO, etc.

Being able to switch to real-time for trashy cleanup fights was also a godsend, don't know how I'd have gotten through the latter half of the game if I had to TB all of it like you did in the mod.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The mod lets you (let you, I guess, since it's superseded by the base game now) switch back and forth from TB to RT and back at any time.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Backed this project years ago, but couldn't really get into it back then. The RTwP combat really threw me off where I was just having trouble really following who was doing what and what abilities I could use, and frankly... I just wanted to get into the kingdom management(big fan of Crossroad Keep in NWN2), and it just felt like a chore getting there.

Saw a post about this having turn-based combat now. Started a game last week, and I have to say that I'm now completely hooked. This is exactly the type of RPG I've been wanting to play for some time now, and the turn-based combat is exactly my jam. Really gives me time to consider what to do and I have a far better understanding of what each character can do. Started the kingdom part earlier now, was pretty fun to setup. From what I've read, it is a bit of a challenge. How easy is it to just completely make bad decisions that you'll find out hours later? And when it happens, what does it take to recover?

Edit: That said, I do appreciate being able to turn on RTwP for minions can be a breath of fresh air. I was stuck forever in that cave with kobolds and spiders, and being able to fast-forward through those fights was really welcome.

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 25, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Baron von der Loon posted:

Backed this project years ago, but couldn't really get into it back then. The RTwP combat really threw me off where I was just having trouble really following who was doing what and what abilities I could use, and frankly... I just wanted to get into the kingdom management(big fan of Crossroad Keep in NWN2), and it just felt like a chore getting there.

Saw a post about this having turn-based combat now. Started a game last week, and I have to say that I'm now completely hooked. This is exactly the type of RPG I've been wanting to play for some time now, and the turn-based combat is exactly my jam. Really gives me time to consider what to do and I have a far better understanding of what each character can do. Started the kingdom part earlier now, was pretty fun to setup. From what I've read, it is a bit of a challenge. How easy is it to just completely make bad decisions that you'll find out hours later? And when it happens, what does it take to recover?

Eh. I see a lot of legacy posts from years ago about kingdom management death spirals but as someone who poured 186 hours into a campaign recently...I don’t see it myself. Kingmaker has a rhythm that is very like Persona with its balance of dungeons and social links. If you put off the chapter storyline, the longer it goes unresolved the more Problem cards will pile up the more untenable the situation will become. This is especially true early on when you only have the initial set of advisor positions and limited people to put to Problems as such.

If you make a point of hard focusing the story of the chapter every chapter you will then have loads of time to dick around sidequesting, upgrading your kingdom, etc before the next chapter fires off. I would not sweat it if you’re following that basic guideline. The Ancient Curse quest is basically your tracker for how long the chapter lasts. The “drop everything and get to the Bald Hilltop or start eating stat penalties galore” always fires at 14 days remaining on the Ancient Curse.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

On top of that it's actually fairly simple to get to a point where it's almost impossible to lose the kingdom management. Your advisors stats go up whenever they get a critical success in a task and you can also increase them with gear, ranking up and projects to the point where there's a 100% chance for them to succeed in anything. At that point its just a case of time management more than anything.

The only thing you want to look out for is making sure you keep at least 100 BP to hand at any point, even if you have to buy it, so you don't get burned by events and to set up trade deals earlish (after finishing chapters). They will pay off.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 25, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Edit: That said, I do appreciate being able to turn on RTwP for minions can be a breath of fresh air. I was stuck forever in that cave with kobolds and spiders, and being able to fast-forward through those fights was really welcome.

First - control your expectation. I finished act 1 before Enhanced Edition and asked everyone why isn't it talked about as the best RPG ever. Then you see why. That RTwP is godsend cause hundreds of trash fights are upcoming. That cave of kobolds and spiders is much more representative of the game than the rest of Act 1 which is full of interesting one-screen maps with unique encounters. After that they earn their 100 hour playtime and dilute everything.

I haven't played that far ahead but I've heard that you can get a game over from kingdom management. It's hard to talk about without spoilers, but understand the structure of the game. For most of the game you have timers till the gameover. If you resolve the issue before then you don't get a goal, you just roam around doing whatever you want. Some advice is be aware you can buy BP with gold. Second, you can fill advisor slots with mercenaries, generic characters you yourself create. Keep your advisors leveled up, you need them to have higher stats. Maybe stat changes from equipment help too, but I'm not sure about that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think that dungeon below the big tree (kobolds and spiders) in Act 1 is the second worst in the entire game so I think the game actually gets way better after Act 1. The companions also start a little rough writing wise and get a lot better. I think it keeps a pretty good pace until the last act which has some dreadful bits.

Kingdom management is super easy if you do the straight forward stuff and don't neglect your end of act fight. I never came anywhere close to failing it. Time limits are one of those things that drive some gamers absolutely nuts so take some of the complaints with a grain of salt. Kingmaker is very very forgiving with them.

Maybe if you go too nuts training advisors for the locked in two weeks it can go badly. You need to run those upgrades but being locked in for two weeks can be rough so do it when things look clear or quick save before in case everything explodes on day two.

The only not-obvious implications of kingdom decisions I can think of have to do with some 'secret ending' stuff that you really shouldn't worry about on your first run. If you want a non-spoiler hint on it make sure you research your curses.

Another non-spoiler hint: its easy to ignore the "touch ac" on your character screen but that becomes rather important later.

Also, I played through the whole game with the turn based mod and loved it, but the new official mode is way better. I'm playing through again and I'm impressed and can't wait to see how it ends up in the sequel.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah I would genuinely agree that the game gets better not worse as it goes on. I think chapter 3-4 is probably some of the best content in the game. Chapter 6 dungeon is a slog but you can largely solve the problem by just bringing Kalikke/Kanerah and leaning on Kineticist being WILDLY overpowered with Deadly Earth to expedite things.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Maybe the dungeons themselves are better if you go with specific definition of a dungeon. I should probably just say locations. In act 2 there's a main dungeon that's not so bad (but there are still too many copy-pasted paths and the puzzle forces you to run around for minutes), there are interesting small locations... But also there's a dozen encounters with a single big monster on the same copypasted map. There are several overworld exploration maps that are just some filler fields with monsters sitting there waiting for you, like Baldur's Gate 1. Instead of a small location with a witch house that you have to visit for a couple of quests, you get a huge location where there's barely anything else, and the other quest that is there could be put on another small map.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bah there's a bug with certain controllers and playing Kingmaker over steam link. It has hell recognizing a controller as it seems like steam and the game fight over it. Even when I disable controller configuring or set an explicit gamepad setup steam likes to roll to a mouse emulation gamepad setup. Once you get it recognized on our xb1 or ps4 controller the two thumb sticks don't work meaning you can't toggle between turn based and real time. Hope they patch it soon.

Anyone have fun companion build recommendations that still seem appropriate to their characters? I've played through before and just looking to liven it up and I'm using the respec mod. I switched Amiri to the barbarian with a pet which is rocking it early game as pet builds usually do. I'm running Harrim as more of a fighter/cleric so I can have him tank and not use Valerie this time (I did pull some of his stats from con into dex).

I wanted to change someone to druid but no one seems really appropriate. At the moment I'm doing a goofy multiclass with Tristian of 1 cleric/ the rest druid (he's a little nature-y). I gave him the cleric level so he's still tied to Saranrae and the domains as a sacrifice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That hunter dude with lethal bow action (I forget his name) is kinda sorta could be a Druid? He likes nature and poo poo.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Thanks for the responses, I'll try to temper my expectations. So far, I have been playing it for about.1 hour per day, enough to just walk around a bit, maybe do a quest and some combat encounters, and been feeling pretty good about it.

When it comes to advisors and companions, how necessary is it to create your own mercenaries? I'm personally never a big fan of this and prefer to just use my companions. But at the moment, I actually don't have anyone to be an economics advisor. How bad is this? And how soon can I get a companion that can fulfill that role?

And just to be sure re: the kingdom mechanics: The ability to create new villages and take new regions is plot-based? I assume it's made pretty clear when I can do that as an option?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks for the responses, I'll try to temper my expectations. So far, I have been playing it for about.1 hour per day, enough to just walk around a bit, maybe do a quest and some combat encounters, and been feeling pretty good about it.

When it comes to advisors and companions, how necessary is it to create your own mercenaries? I'm personally never a big fan of this and prefer to just use my companions. But at the moment, I actually don't have anyone to be an economics advisor. How bad is this? And how soon can I get a companion that can fulfill that role?

And just to be sure re: the kingdom mechanics: The ability to create new villages and take new regions is plot-based? I assume it's made pretty clear when I can do that as an option?

If you have the Wildcards DLC, you can recruit a companion as soon as you establish your kingdom. If not, only when the second chapter officially starts ( people warn you, illustration comes up etc). Visit ford Across Skunk river and Ruined watchtower imemdiately when that happens to recruit two more companions.

Mercs are never truly necessary unless you run into one of the few scenaios where you have no advisor for the role or you generally kill/dismiss companions and NPCs and you want to fill up your party.

Ability to claim regions/build villages depends on many factors. Mandatory plot events are one thing, claiming other regions or raising kingdom stats is another. You have plenty of time though, so do not rush anything. Just do whatever you need first on the map, then get into kingdom management.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
You do have time to grab one region before the first crisis comes so I would do that but remember kingdom stuff like that takes time. For that reason do not level up the kingdom stats at the start like the kingdom tutorial wants you to do because you might miss the start of the first crisis and that is not good. Have plenty of time to do that after you have dealt with the first crisis and the main quest of the second chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, I finally installed this game on my new laptop (13” MBP running Windows for these purposes), and the game crashes on startup.

I get the first splash screen, then the second one, two notes of trumpet fanfare and quit to desktop without an error or hang of any sort.

Any ideas?