Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do the kingdom management failure states play out, is it at least interesting or just a pop-up "you hosed up and your kingdom dead game over lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wow, killed a black dragon without really even trying. At least he had some nice loot.

Edit: Including the Armor of the Edgelord, apparently.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 22, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

How do the kingdom management failure states play out, is it at least interesting or just a pop-up "you hosed up and your kingdom dead game over lol"

I really don't want to grind out a slow defeat to find out but I'm certainly in a great position to get that information

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

o/‘ Oh, don’t you know, you never split the party. o/‘

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I'm sure it's probably been said here before, but as far as kingdom management, make sure to level up your administrators in their positions fairly aggressively. I went from absolutely no worries to absolutely making GBS threads bricks and very barely surviving as suddenly events leaped up to 30+ DCs in the later parts of the game. I had to kick down the management difficulty level for a while to squeak through while slowly drowning in a river of failure penalties and desperately sending my accountant to accountant school before it leveled out later on.

I didn't dislike the kingdom management segment but I think it makes a much better carrot than it does a stick; it's pretty fun to unlock stuff and get buffs and etc because you played Baby's First Sim City well, but it certainly isn't a lot of fun trying to correct problems you made 30 ingame hours ago and pull out of a stall while constantly getting dire warnings.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Loving this series of Nyrissa trying all kinds of bullshit to tempt my companions and all of them just not even humoring her.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

YOU BITCH.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I bet I know exactly where you are and it's when I decided not to try and redeem her.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

8one6 posted:

I bet I know exactly where you are and it's when I decided not to try and redeem her.

I brought Resurrection scrolls and everything!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Man, the Knurly Witch really did fool me with her “I’m so old and tired” act. Didn’t help her much once she revealed her true colors and ate four Piercing-Rodded Destructions, but you know. Points for trying.

Edit: And almost immediately punished for my hubris by satyrs spamming Vampiric gently caress You. :rip: At least the ghost guards had the common decency to respect Death Ward.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 22, 2021

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

RIGHT????

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 and the game is finally starting to click for me. The early game is frankly very punishing with some bullshit fights (here's a tip for new players - when you get your very first side quest in the game to go to a spider cave, bring like 20 acid flasks) and the unintuitive kingdom management system. But if you invest the time, it really does start coming together. I'm especially appreciating the dichotomy of adventuring vs. administration of the barony. It provides some great pacing to the quests (a lot of these games suffer from everything feeling so rushed as there's no sense of time and your characters go from nublets to god-slayers in a couple weeks). Also enjoying the exploration system quite a bit as well.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I am pleasantly surprised that people seem to be dealing with the Rat cave and the Boggards pretty well.
Or perhaps the spider cave already imparted the lesson 'come back later' and people dropped in at lv 5 or so. Because the boggards especially where a big surprise when they first implemented them after release.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ramc posted:

RIGHT????

Are we talking about Linzi’s fate or is there some other thing that happened that I’ve forgotten?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

skeleton warrior posted:

Are we talking about Linzi’s fate or is there some other thing that happened that I’ve forgotten?

She can lure me into a death trap with the promise of a good time, turn my citizens into weird monster summoning flesh gates, or even I'm sure there's a third bad thing I'm forgetting but turning my good friend into a book was a bridge too far.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Pretty sure that.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

Man, the Knurly Witch really did fool me with her “I’m so old and tired” act. Didn’t help her much once she revealed her true colors and ate four Piercing-Rodded Destructions, but you know. Points for trying.

The necklace that drops from that fight is insanely good.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Khanstant posted:

pretty much but it also offers to you to turn on no death kingdom mode.

I took too long letting the trolls run rampant (thought I needed another level) and it did that to me but it was easy to roll back a save because the time jumps happen on the kingdom screen so you're not losing like 10 hours of gameplay.

Right now I'm hating this island near the capital where its just these lightning heads. I'm basically just cheesing it by having the priest turn off lightning damage and the other casters magic missile them down.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 22, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah Wisps are a nuisance, but resist electricity communal means that you can just kind of smash them; just bring cold iron weapons if you have any.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah Wisps are a nuisance, but resist electricity communal means that you can just kind of smash them; just bring cold iron weapons if you have any.

By far the biggest challenges in the game are early on when you just don't have the equipment or specific counters available to you.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I turned my fire kineticist into an earth one and that's kind of more fun with the tripping.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That island suuuucks. You can't do anything about the ambushes even with See Invisibility. It's just "did you bring Communal Resist Electricity, Y/N." At least the shield you find on the Paladin is really good.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i thought it was an interesting challenge to clear the island before my resist electricity spells wore off while still not going so fast that i'd get caught off guard by whatever nasty thing is hiding around a corner

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

We're going to have a party for the ranger in the woods because he likes the woods. Specifically the woods with ancient hydras and wargs with cloaking devices

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goofballs posted:

We're going to have a party for the ranger in the woods because he likes the woods. Specifically the woods with ancient hydras and wargs with cloaking devices
My man Ekun chose a favored terrain of Forests and a favored enemy of Magical Beasts. You have to play to your audience.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Goofballs posted:

I turned my fire kineticist into an earth one and that's kind of more fun with the tripping.

I did a beneath the stolen lands run with an Earth/Fire Kineticist and of course the boss was on level 30, so I got to level 20 over about 12 hours of play and lol the rest of the party mostly existed to give me some micromanagement to keep them out of the fire from levels 13 on. Just absolutely silly.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

can someone explain how the movement action in turn based work? cus when i move to the edge of my normal movement, it refunds me like 66% of that movement, and then does it again if i move to the edge of that, so i can move a full action worth of movement and still get an attack off. i feel like thats not how this is supposed to work, and i dont think its a mod i have on either.

e: turned out it was bag of tricks and the movement speed under map and travel.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 23, 2021

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the first half of your movement allows you to attack at the end of it, but when you go beyond that it's more of a dash or sprint and you can no longer attack... unless you're charging... or want to take a swift action... or some other edge case poo poo I cannot remember.

if you played the new xcom it's similar to blue and yellow movement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

boo boo bear posted:

the first half of your movement allows you to attack at the end of it, but when you go beyond that it's more of a dash or sprint and you can no longer attack... unless you're charging... or want to take a swift action... or some other edge case poo poo I cannot remember.

if you played the new xcom it's similar to blue and yellow movement.
Yeah, this is it. A Move Action is moving up to your speed (usually either 20 or 30 ft), but you can also use your Standard Action, which is normally for attacks or spells, to move again/more. Also worth noting: If you use your move action for something besides moving (like drinking a potion, or taking a full-round action), you can instead take a five-foot step. This is super useful for positioning in the middle of combat, as five-foot steps also avoid opportunity attacks.

What can also help is turning on the option to preserve your standard action, which will automatically stop you when you've moved far enough that another step would take up your attack.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
You can also right click to toggle between normal movement and the 5 foot step, e.g. if you want to use it to move out of a threatened area before taking an action that would trigger an opportunity attack.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone know if kinetic whip made it into Wrath?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Does Pathfinder 1e have level 0 rules? I know 2e does. The second DLC sounds like the perfect excuse to start as a level 0 commoner.

Paizo posted:

New additional campaign. The demon attack on Kenabres changed the lives of many. While the mythic hero and their loyal companions were busy liberating the city, the common folk had to find a way to survive, relying only on their humble skills.
Band together with other survivors and try to reach the Defender's Heart tavern, the last foothold of the crusader forces in the city. Choose who will join your group, and make difficult decisions about allocating scarce resources. Remember — in fire-ravaged Kenabres, every scroll and potion could make the difference not only in an individual fight but also to your very survival. Act in the group's best interests or focus solely on your own well-being. Import your choices to the main campaign and look forward to seeing this story develop in other DLC. This additional campaign offers 6–7 hours of gameplay.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Does Pathfinder 1e have level 0 rules? I know 2e does. The second DLC sounds like the perfect excuse to start as a level 0 commoner.

There are NPC classes, which might as well be zero everything, but that's it, I think.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

You can start a campaign and use the retraining rules to get there. Level 1 commoners with the avg array leveling up to level 1 player class with the elite array is going to feel like a pretty big bump. You can absolutely throw low cr stuff at commoners and have that part work too. The issue with designing further than that, however, remains that the pig farmer levels of rpgs are well covered ground among systems as diverse as whatever the latest Steve Jackson games print and play is, and the systems that are worse than level 1 pf are honestly not that exciting.

So developing more pig farming content on the systems side is dev time wasted. Absolutely write adventures for pig farmers, people like them, but there’s zero reason any new systems for that need to exist. Adapt whatever you have for level 1 and call it a day.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You don't even need to Level 0 it, just restrict the characters to the NPC classes yeah.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Can't wait to see every new build guide recommending a one level dip into cordwainer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
in the pathfinder + survival crafting, cordwainer is critical if you ever want to go traipsing around rocky biomes and you certainly will given the higher CR ores there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My game keeps fading to black and then not coming back when I try to break the waterclock during that fight in the basement. Really tempted to either just leave and not come back or roll over the entire loving fight with some cheesy bullshit and then kill everyone one coup de grace at a time. Is there anything in or beyond that room worth worrying about? Do I have to break the thing?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Feels like Hassuf could stand to upgrade his cart since he's paying out like five years worth of my kingdom's revenue for sold gear when I get back from main quests now. It's also a little concerning that he's turning around and selling things like Endless War the +5 greatsword in the middle of my street fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

girl dick energy posted:

My game keeps fading to black and then not coming back when I try to break the waterclock during that fight in the basement. Really tempted to either just leave and not come back or roll over the entire loving fight with some cheesy bullshit and then kill everyone one coup de grace at a time. Is there anything in or beyond that room worth worrying about? Do I have to break the thing?

IIRC, breaking the clock is entirely unrelated to killing the folks in that room, so do it after. The NPC that breaks out basically just tells you how to solve the puzzle in the room behind it (which will get you a bunch of gold and a nice-ish but unnecessary at this point bow).