Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taear posted:

I think that part of what's made me feel strange about the game in act 3 is what happened with Kingmaker too. Suddenly the game feels totally directionless. I'm doing a bunch of tasks that don't quite feel connected, I'm walking between extremely distant places that the game makes take loving FOREVER (because you've got to constantly rest and the paths don't go where you might expect) and I have to manage a Heroes of Might And Magic Mobile game at the same time too. I just constantly feel rushed because I'm spending like 10 in game days doing everything instead of it being reasonably fast.
Somehow the game's making me feel super anxious because "oh poo poo I haven't done X yet"

Kingmaker definitely had the same feel with the "Wait around for the next step of the curse to happen" parts.

Both games feel like they have a great idea there and the team that's making it can't QUITE bring it together. I'm honestly sort of shocked they kept the city building side, even though it's much reduced. Did anyone actually like how they implemented that? Does anyone like it this time?

Yes and yes.

I'm super here for the open ended acts of the game, arguably more than any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I would prefer to ditch all the city building/crusade stuff and just have throne room events where you make decisions and your advisors argue a lot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pwnstar posted:

I would prefer to ditch all the city building/crusade stuff and just have throne room events where you make decisions and your advisors argue a lot.

Yea agreed, that'd be fine

Or even if they went full HOMM and it was just a few upgrades that cost loads. Maybe even ones you specifically go out and find? Make it feel more part of the game and less like extra side work I guess.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Why is Daeran staggered like half the time? He's not getting hit, and every time I look at him he's got the staggered effect. This is on-going basically since I picked him up. His encumbrance is light, and it's a stagger effect that hits almost upon entering every combat. Also my Magus(MC), show's that they are able to move a full duration of green 'ticks' but gets half way, casts their automatic touch and then just stops w/o going the full duration. What is this about?

Also, since I'm asking questions, why is it sometimes when I enter battle my units get a move + attack, and other times they only get half actions. They still move first, but aren't getting the full move+attack option.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 18, 2021

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zotix posted:

Why is Daeran staggered like half the time? He's not getting hit, and every time I look at him he's got the staggered effect. This is on-going basically since I picked him up. Also my Magus(MC), show's that they are able to move a full duration of green 'ticks' but gets half way, casts their automatic touch and then just stops w/o going the full duration. What is this about?

For Daeran: Daeran's oracle curse Powerless Prophecy means he always starts combat staggered. If it's sticking around, that's a bug, but he should be staggered for the first round of any combat.

For your magus: There is currently a bug with swift actions and movement. It applies to other things too (like Studied Target [Swift]). Move first, then cast the swift action, and it'll work fine.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 18, 2021

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
nevermind

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Is the Azata power Life-Bonding Friendship bugged? It's supposed to absorb attacks equal to your charisma modifier but my party seems to take dozens and dozens of hits before they actually die. Pretty sure my dragon took well over 1000 damage during the Act 3 final boss and kept on truckin

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008
I made a mod which adds a search bar to help navigate the inventory UI.

Also some other mods too.

If you enjoy not wasting your time scrolling through vendors to find a potion of restoration, check it out!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Rails SDMM posted:

If you enjoy not wasting your time scrolling through vendors to find a potion of restoration, check it out!

Oh my loving god OWLCAT HIRE THIS GOON

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Rails SDMM posted:

MVP right here. This is some quality QoL

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Zore posted:

Uh what path are you on?

When retaking Drezen Anevia meets you right away and tells you that Hilor is trying to hold the prison and the One-Eye Merchant is at the Tavern and you should try to meet up with them to rally the resistance and retake the city. You then need to pick between which one to save while the other one dies or to just go for the Citadel and have both die. I didn't think it was possible to miss meeting Anevia

I saw her mention One-Eyed Devil, but not Hilor. It's possible I missed it in my eagerness to progress the story, but I only recall Anevia mentioning the tavern. It's not a big deal for this playthrough; if anything, it's good to know in advance that it's something I might overlook. I'd done some searching online before posting and definitely wasn't the only person who'd missed him, so hopefully this will serve as a warning for anyone else who misses that line.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A while back someone posted the optimal way to progress through Act 1 to get as much done as possible before the tavern fight -- could someone repost or link?

I'm partial to:

quote:

---Day 1---
Clear Thieflings' Hideout & Wonders Shop
Clear most of Market Square (skip northeast and southwest corners)
Clear Wine Cellar and Blackwing Library
Rest at Tavern for 9 hours

---Day 2---
Clear Tower, Party House, Mansion, & Tirabade Residence

---Day 3---
Rest at Market Square for 9 hours
Clear Market Square
Return to Tavern and Assault Garrison

No need to actually defend the tavern ever unless you really want that Amulet of Devouring from the Nabasu.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

I would prefer if they got rid of the throne room fluff stuff entirely :( Since every option has different tangible rewards and generally only one of them is any good, and finding out what the rewards are is buried behind multiple mouse clicks a lot of the time (right click the dialog option to bring up the tooltip -> right click the name of the decree it makes available to see what it does) I stopped even reading what the people were saying or what they were asking for help with and I just go straight for reading the rewards, because that's what I'll be making my decision based off. Sitting there through 10 cutscenes of someone walking in and telling me about some problem that I just skip through and then reading through all the rewards feels like an obligation that holds me back from the fun parts of the game

I'm down with the armies fighting part of the crusade but basically everything else about it can go - upgrading 50 different forts and scanning the map to track down which one is under attack, week-based recruitment in a game that's not really turn-based, all the kingdom management stuff (except for forging unique items and picking their bonuses, that part is cool), having to manage both crusade and quests on the same time scale, having to return to the throne room constantly, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 18, 2021

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
still no skald fixes. shameful poo poo.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm wondering if I could get a quick spoiler-free bit of feedback on Kingmaker: I'm stuck on chargen trying to decide between scaled fist monk and shapeshifting druid, how do both scale as the game goes on? I'm tempted to go with monk because I don't know Pathfinder that well and punchy fists are harder to gently caress up, but I know old school 3.5-esque stuff tends to embrace quadratic wizard really heavily.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rails SDMM posted:

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Current observations about magic
- Snowball is shockingly effective
- Battering blast is incredibly useful as both damage and knockback
- Nenio is an absolute MVP when everything final clicks and scribe scroll is obscene. Need to see if ascendant element works with casting from scrolls because hello level 20 hellfire ray scroll stacks. Illusion magic is just insane and giving up abjuration is completely meaningless when you can just scribe at CL.

Current observations about melee
- building a character that does stat damage, like Greybor, means you can be taking off 2-3 points of strength from your target per round which is just insane

Current observations about Alushinyrra
- The moving city is bad. There's no fixing it
- The merchants spread out all over is a massive pain in the rear end when trying to go back and get all that sweet +5 gear

Finally, someone needs to do a wellness check on the people at Owlcat who approve the alignment writing choices.

Rails SDMM posted:

Put this in the loving OP

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Offkorn posted:

I'm partial to:

No need to actually defend the tavern ever unless you really want that Amulet of Devouring from the Nabasu.

Since you can stick it on the horse I think its actually a really amazing piece of gear that you shouldn't skip.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So Lich merges spellbooks with arcane casters correct? Is it not as effective to go Lich with a divine caster then? I see most Lich builds are Sorc/DD/EK type stuff, but nothing divine.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

There's a nabasu at the tavern fight? I didn't see any

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

blizzardvizard posted:

There's a nabasu at the tavern fight? I didn't see any

After the tavern fight, go back to the market where the necromancer was. You probably want some negative energy resist on your tank at the start. The amulet gives [Level] in temp HP after a kill with a natural weapon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Welp, I didn't even think to explore the cleared areas again, oh well. Anything else updates after the tavern fight?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Killsion posted:

So Lich merges spellbooks with arcane casters correct? Is it not as effective to go Lich with a divine caster then? I see most Lich builds are Sorc/DD/EK type stuff, but nothing divine.

You can get level nine spells on both sides of the equation with (any Divine Caster) 8/(any Arcane Caster) 2/Mystic Theurge 10 (also, you can reverse the balance for similar effects on an Angel character), which involves having divine caster levels. You'll be about level 10 when you first get Mythic Rank 3 (and thus access to the spellbook), so you won't need to worry about not quite qualifying for Mystic Theurge (the free caster levels you get from the merged spellbook will ensure you qualify, and then some).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think the patch broke my ability to ride Aivu again... :(

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

canepazzo posted:

Oh my loving god OWLCAT HIRE THIS GOON

:emptyquote:

Being a scroll hoarder is a nightmare.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 18, 2021

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Rails SDMM posted:

I assumed this was impossible because of some engine limitation but if this actually works what the gently caress how is it not native

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Reached Act 4, and wow did the itemization jump up immediately. Easily accessible (assuming you brought dimension door) +5 weapon with unique extras right near the start, and multiple other +4 weapons in the slums in general.

blizzardvizard posted:

Welp, I didn't even think to explore the cleared areas again, oh well. Anything else updates after the tavern fight?

It's mainly the Market Square, as there are a fair few new enemies in the area - the Nabasu specifically is the optional superboss of that section of the game (like the water elemental in the first stretch). A few other areas potentially change if you haven't cleared them out yet, but should remain static if you already have.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So at the end of Enigma do you just spawn kill a demon lord to make them perma dead?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

JamMasterJim posted:

Don't let your dreams stay dreams.

Weird is your prize for all the times illusion magic was annoying or fail-prone. By the time you get it you should probably have a very buff DC on Illusion on Nenio and it's actually a pretty drat consistent insta-kill.

Of course it also comes in around the point every drat enemy group has a Mythic something or another that you need to kill twice anyways but hey details.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yams Fan

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm wondering if I could get a quick spoiler-free bit of feedback on Kingmaker: I'm stuck on chargen trying to decide between scaled fist monk and shapeshifting druid, how do both scale as the game goes on? I'm tempted to go with monk because I don't know Pathfinder that well and punchy fists are harder to gently caress up, but I know old school 3.5-esque stuff tends to embrace quadratic wizard really heavily.

Monks are the best tanks for the end game, all the shapes you can shift into are horrible for endgame.

Killsion posted:

I briefly played with the idea to play as an Oracle Lich for the synergy with Inflict spells, but you can just use Daeren for that. Herald Callers using Lich summons should be pretty funny too.

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 18, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So In Act 5 I have enough Military experience for rank 7 twice over but the darn thing still won't let me do the rank up the council decree, is this a bug or does it have some other trigger?

Edit: Also can't help but notice the little after report for alot of army battles mention your guys finding cool loot and then I don't get any rewards.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 18, 2021

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Caidin posted:

So In Act 5 I have enough Military experience for rank 7 twice over but the darn thing still won't let me do the rank up the council decree, is this a bug or does it have some other trigger?

Edit: Also can't help but notice the little after report for alot of army battles mention your guys finding cool loot and then I don't get any rewards.

one of the rank ups for military is on a timer related to the dude attacking the city

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

one of the rank ups for military is on a timer related to the dude attacking the city

Like, does it just happen and I have to wait on it or is there a particular army I need to hit that's none obvious?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't know if I'm ever going to replace this +3 shortsword on Seelah. The one that ignores all DR no matter what and acts as +5 against chaotic evil. Also has some lovely lightning damage.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

WrightOfWay posted:

It's a pretty common house rule, even if Grease really doesn't need to be made more powerful since it is already the best first level spell by miles.

No that would be Silent Image. You can do *so much poo poo* with Silent Image. Party-wide invisibility ? No problem. Wall of Stone (or big hole, or any other idea that gets a bunch of enemies off your back for a while) ? Doable. Fear because the building is now on fire ? Oh yes.

Offkorn posted:

I'm partial to:

I like doing the party house before library, just because channeling is nice to have early on (and helps clear the shadows & wights). It's not that much of a detour, 2h round trip from the market.

Omi no Kami posted:

Monk is exceedingly good throughout the game, you even have a whole artisan dedicated to building monk poo poo for you. If you go full Dex and dump Str there's an Agile kama +2 in Silverstep lake (southeast corner of the map, relatively tough fight against a bunch of invisible fae to get it) that you'll carry for a long while. I'm relatively certain there's also an amulet of agile fists in chapter 1 but I forget where exactly. I know the big bad wolf of Sycamore Tree has a regular amulet of mighty fists.

Shapeshifting druid is more eeeeh - not a lot of dedicated gear for them besides the aforementioned amulets which you already can do that as a druid buff...) so while you rock the midgame, the lategame is tougher. But you have a pet and so are still exceedingly good because pets are godly in Kingmaker. I feel like caster druids are perhaps more powerful though.

If you do go melee Druid, go Lawful Neutral to still take the one level of Monk (say, when you've unlocked your first wild shape), you'll thank me when you find the robe.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 18, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Killsion posted:

If you don't merge the spellbooks, caster level for rolling dice and overcoming SR will be twice your mythic rank, and caster level for your non-lich spells will be your class level in the class that gave you non-lich spells.

If you do merge spellbooks, caster level for all your spells will be your casting class level plus your mythic rank, so treating you as caster level 30 at MR 10 and wizard/sorcerer/etc. 20. So you have a higher chance to overcome spell resistance and saving throws, and you deal more damage/heal more if you do merge spell books. The same with angel and divine casters.

That said, you might prefer the versatility of having non-gimped arcane and divine spellcasting on one character, and the mythic spells are plenty strong even unmerged, so it's not like you're gimping yourself by not merging the spellbooks.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
do y'all get freezing like this?

https://streamable.com/pkf3pc
https://streamable.com/zchbjp

it's so loving annoying

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Tabletops posted:

do y'all get freezing like this?

https://streamable.com/pkf3pc
https://streamable.com/zchbjp

it's so loving annoying

I do not.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As great as it is killing all the slavers, everyone really should check what the one slaver who's actually selling gear is carrying before stabbing them. Because their sell inventory vanishes once dead, and they've got some absolutely insane stuff. Even ignoring the various absurd weaponry and armor which may or may not fit specific party comps, the +6 STR belt that also has an aura of "enemies take -2 to Will saves" should probably be getting picked up by everyone.

Also the very silly longsword that Paladins really wish was in Kingmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

ZypherIM posted:

After the tavern fight, go back to the market where the necromancer was. You probably want some negative energy resist on your tank at the start. The amulet gives [Level] in temp HP after a kill with a natural weapon.

This annoys me so much, because I'm playing on hard mode and getting achievements for stuff, and I was locked out of this because I played the game TOO WELL and skipped the tavern fight >=(