Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There are a lot of weird choices to keep you in the "good" class selection (aasimar and not tieflings, necromancers being locked to turn undead instead of command) but this is undermined by letting you say stupid evil poo poo in just about every dialog.

It's funny that somehow in their mind (I dunno if this is a Russian thing, who knows) being Lawful Good also means being a gigantic loving racist who believes any animalistic race has evil baked deep into their core. RP wise it bothers me that sometimes I have to pick an alignment piece of speech with no other choices when it's really not what I want to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A bit sad to see that of the Sorcerer fixes they didn't fix the whole feats-and-specializations-not-working thing. Seems like that'd be a biggie.

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

Taear posted:

Also earlier on someone linked the stats of four bandits - they're not the bandits that attack you at Oleg's they're the bandits that are asleep near Old Sycamore. They're rock hard and took me ages to beat before I changed the difficulty down from Normal to Story.

I like how you could noisily clomp around them while they sleep soundly; probably because they rest assured in their absurd stats (for the part of the game they're in) and you having no ability to coup de grace them in the face (lol at handily missing sleeping supine people).

Basically I'm just glad I can just adjust difficulty when I want to tell the designer DM to go gently caress itself with how some of the encounters are set up.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The reviews that said "this game is like when the DM hates the party" are spot on.

DM: Choose between option A or B.
Party: A.
DM: *resolves A* Turns out, you should have done B

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The game is designed to for save scrubbing.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

The game is designed to for save scrubbing.

As a full time video game save scummer, besides the occasional skill check there's usually multiple encounters or region or long travel between when you find out how lousy your decision was and the proper save, so oddly I'm not save scumming that much on a global level. I think the developers tried to go with "your choices matter" when instead they implemented "You can never make the right choice"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The DM obnoxiousness is actually kinda funny.

When the game map finally opens up after Oleg's, I tried to go east first (towards Rostov) to see if there was a path that way to a landmark. After a day of travel, Linzi's journal pops up with a narration that acuses the party of traveling east clearly because they want to go back to the starter town, retire, and not play the game. Then it teleports you back to Olegs

I just wanted to go a little east.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Madcosby posted:

As a full time video game save scummer, besides the occasional skill check there's usually multiple encounters or region or long travel between when you find out how lousy your decision was and the proper save, so oddly I'm not save scumming that much on a global level. I think the developers tried to go with "your choices matter" when instead they implemented "You can never make the right choice"
In other words, your choices are meaningless because regardless of what you pick the DM is just going to screw you over?

For example if you were to bump into a beggar and the only two options are to give him money or ignore him. If you give him money he buys drugs and kills some children but if you don't he stabs children while robbing them to pay for his drugs.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

These kingdom events can go suck a nut.
They seem to always expire on the 1st of the next month, and I got a problem that popped up on the 28th, so I'd have 2-3 days to start it, but all my advisors are busy. (And it's only possible to cancel events/project the same day you start them. )

I really wish they had a minimum timeout of 2 weeks or something at the very least.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Poil posted:

In other words, your choices are meaningless because regardless of what you pick the DM is just going to screw you over?

For example if you were to bump into a beggar and the only two options are to give him money or ignore him. If you give him money he buys drugs and kills some children but if you don't he stabs children while robbing them to pay for his drugs.

Yes, and you fail a grandma completely and utterly.
In all seriousness, no, not all options suck. But some that do suck have long reaching consequences (do not take the mayor's deal)

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Taear posted:

It's funny that somehow in their mind (I dunno if this is a Russian thing, who knows) being Lawful Good also means being a gigantic loving racist who believes any animalistic race has evil baked deep into their core. RP wise it bothers me that sometimes I have to pick an alignment piece of speech with no other choices when it's really not what I want to say.

traditional alignments are very cool b/c you can feed an entire kindergarten of orc babies to the ovens and then shrug at the camera like hey what're you gonna do, i'm a LG paladin baby

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The difficulty settings in this game are dumbo dumbo. Good lord. Not only are the enemies overstatted compared to PnP, but the difficulty modifiers double dip, in that they increase both the attribute modifier and derived stats. IE it'll increase the strength modifier by 2, give +2 to hit and +2 damage, which works out to +4 to hit and +4 damage. And hilariously, Enemy Stat Adjustment has nothing to do with this. Enemy Difficulty is what governs the stats of enemies. Enemy Stat Adjustment only affects regen and immunity bypass, and only two of the options actually do anything. Somewhat easier halves regen, much easier removes it and every other setting is normal. Yes, this includes moderately easier.

This game really could have used more time in the oven.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DrManiac posted:

I get it Valerie is beautiful. I don't need somebody to mention this fact in literally every interaction involving her.

Given the character art I think they need to harp on the fact if they want me to believe it. All I see is her near Moe Howard esque bowl cut.

Caros fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 29, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cynic Jester posted:

The difficulty settings in this game are dumbo dumbo. Good lord. Not only are the enemies overstatted compared to PnP, but the difficulty modifiers double dip, in that they increase both the attribute modifier and derived stats. IE it'll increase the strength modifier by 2, give +2 to hit and +2 damage, which works out to +4 to hit and +4 damage. And hilariously, Enemy Stat Adjustment has nothing to do with this. Enemy Difficulty is what governs the stats of enemies. Enemy Stat Adjustment only affects regen and immunity bypass, and only two of the options actually do anything. Somewhat easier halves regen, much easier removes it and every other setting is normal. Yes, this includes moderately easier.

This game really could have used more time in the oven.

It's hilarious because enemy casters are rocking all sorts of save or sucks, and you're stuck with trash like Valerie.

I think it's back to PoE 2 for me, gonna try that new DLC.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
despite 0 mainstream attention and 0 pro reviews , it’s funny that the game has reached almost the same concurrent all-time peak players as deadfire did on steam with no marketing budget

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Caros posted:

Given the character art I think they need to harp on the fact if they want me to believe it. All I see is her near Moe Howard esque bowl cut.

To Be Scrupulously Fair that haircut was supposedly a deliberate response to constantly being called beautiful (because she hates it).

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Grenadier is pretty hilarious to play so far. Why yes, being able to do 1d6+5 damage to one enemy and 6 damage in a 13 foot radius ten times a day at level 2, also lighting the enemies on fire so they have to pass reflex saves or be on fire sounds nice. Here at level 4, it's 2d6+9 and 11 damage in that 13 foot radius. Especially given that I can't hit my party.

And the things that might be roadblocks for some parties early on (swarms and woodbear) just disintegrate under alchemical fire.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Exercu posted:

And the things that might be roadblocks for some parties early on (swarms and woodbear) just disintegrate under alchemical fire.

I like how the game specifies that torches are good for swarms, presents you with torches to handle them, and specifically guides an early quest to an area with swarms so that you can get familiar with them.

And then you won't see another single swarm for the next 15+ hours.
(Them just not existing at lower difficulties is also very possible, aside from the first one. )

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

despite 0 mainstream attention and 0 pro reviews , it’s funny that the game has reached almost the same concurrent all-time peak players as deadfire did on steam with no marketing budget

I mean, I was always going to pick this up, just so I could do stupid poo poo like my current Monk 1/Paladin 2/Sorcerer 2/Dragon Disciple 10 and so forth, reliving the glory days of multiclassing in NWN. I don't think I'm alone in that. Add the Pathfinder/3.5 PNP crowd and I'm not surprised it'll crush Deadfire in sales, even if it is an objectively worse game by pretty much every metric except "How 3.5/Pathfinder is it?"

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

I mean, I was always going to pick this up, just so I could do stupid poo poo like my current Monk 1/Paladin 2/Sorcerer 2/Dragon Disciple 10 and so forth, reliving the glory days of multiclassing in NWN. I don't think I'm alone in that. Add the Pathfinder/3.5 PNP crowd and I'm not surprised it'll crush Deadfire in sales, even if it is an objectively worse game by pretty much every metric except "How 3.5/Pathfinder is it?"

Far more interesting encounter design than anything that was not DLC/Expansion in PoE.

Caros
May 14, 2008

SubNat posted:

I like how the game specifies that torches are good for swarms, presents you with torches to handle them, and specifically guides an early quest to an area with swarms so that you can get familiar with them.

And then you won't see another single swarm for the next 15+ hours.
(Them just not existing at lower difficulties is also very possible, aside from the first one. )

I think the note about torches is new, because people kept dying to the swarms since they didn't know how they worked.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

Far more interesting encounter design than anything that was not DLC/Expansion in PoE.

Deadfire's design way is better. They were more conscious of difficulty curve and avoided putting extremely difficult fights on the same map as easier ones and if they did, the monsters they chose were of a different scale and often isolated from the rest.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Josh Sawyer is too busy treating his single player rpg like an mmo. The patches and petty, unnecessary nerfs won't stop until he's satisfied. (He'll never be satisfied) Gamers are catching on and moving on. Heck there are more people playing the first game than the second game still.

As far as this game goes, I really want to like it but the developers are doing everything possible to turn anyone but the most hardcore masochistic grognard off of it, and it starts right away. Absurd enemy armor classes in the tutorial, terrible starting NPCs with terrible, nonsensical stats, god-like spider swarms, chests perma-locking if you fail the pick until you level up again, etc. It's just such a chore.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Stokes posted:

Josh Sawyer is too busy treating his single player rpg like an mmo. The patches and petty, unnecessary nerfs won't stop until he's satisfied. (He'll never be satisfied) Gamers are catching on and moving on. Heck there are more people playing the first game than the second game still.

Mmmm agreed developers shouldn't continue to balance the games they make.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Chairchucker posted:

Mmmm agreed developers shouldn't continue to balance the games they make.

I never said that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Caros posted:

I think the note about torches is new, because people kept dying to the swarms since they didn't know how they worked.

Nah, I remember seeing it when I played on day 1. That said, the torches didn't do poo poo to swarms, unless I was missing how to use them beyond swinging them. They hit for 0-1 damage just like regular hits. It was kind of bullshit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stokes posted:

specifically singling out Sawyer makes this look like some kind of weirdo grudge dude

Exercu posted:

Grenadier is pretty hilarious to play so far. Why yes, being able to do 1d6+5 damage to one enemy and 6 damage in a 13 foot radius ten times a day at level 2, also lighting the enemies on fire so they have to pass reflex saves or be on fire sounds nice. Here at level 4, it's 2d6+9 and 11 damage in that 13 foot radius. Especially given that I can't hit my party.

yeah so far I'm having a blast playing on easy and just blowing up everything that comes across my path with fantasy napalm

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Zaodai posted:

Nah, I remember seeing it when I played on day 1. That said, the torches didn't do poo poo to swarms, unless I was missing how to use them beyond swinging them. They hit for 0-1 damage just like regular hits. It was kind of bullshit.

The torches hit swarms for 1 damage (the 1 fire damage that's added on to them as weapons), which is, at least, infinitely more than the zero damage that regular weapons hit them for.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Stokes posted:

I never said that.

No, you just criticised someone for continually balancing their game.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

specifically singling out Sawyer makes this look like some kind of weirdo grudge dude

He is the person specifically in charge of making all the changes to the game.

Chairchucker posted:

No, you just criticised someone for continually balancing their game.

I do not agree that many of the changes made qualify as 'balance.' I'm sure you can hop on over to the Deadfire thread for the echo chamber there and rope kid might even show up to say thank you, but the dwindling player count paints another picture. Either way this is the wrong thread for this.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 30, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think it's hilarious that the dwarf's favourite food is haggis.

Also got Sweet Pancakes for Linzi. Haven't found any other favourites yet.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

I think one of the rice recipes is Octavia's favourite, can't remember the name though.
Kinda sad you couldn't set a favourite for Generic McProtagonist.
I'm sorry everyone, but I'm the Baron and I demand pancakes everytime we rest, no exceptions.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Cynic Jester posted:

Good to know, thanks. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more when I negate that.

On one hand, with a cleric's channeling it's easy to pick the party back up after a treebear acid party or when a single leopard rips apart my front line with four attacks a round at +15. Nobody's dying and I've only had one death's door injury, so hey. On the other hand, it's not exactly the authentic Pathfinder CRPG I was sold on.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Does the object bond actually work? Do I need to pick an object in my inventory or something?

EDIT: You click on the arrow above the spell.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 30, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Chairchucker posted:

The spicy wings recipe you can buy from Oleg is Amiri's.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This game really needs a built in cheat board just to unfuck things like being unable to start an event chain. But damned if it doesn't make you want it to work because a good game is there, unfinished.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mordecai posted:

On one hand, with a cleric's channeling it's easy to pick the party back up after a treebear acid party or when a single leopard rips apart my front line with four attacks a round at +15. Nobody's dying and I've only had one death's door injury, so hey. On the other hand, it's not exactly the authentic Pathfinder CRPG I was sold on.

As a player of D&D I had no idea that you could bring characters back from unconscious with healing until I did it by accident at one point and I would bet that a LOT of people don't know.

Jimbot posted:

Deadfire's design way is better. They were more conscious of difficulty curve and avoided putting extremely difficult fights on the same map as easier ones and if they did, the monsters they chose were of a different scale and often isolated from the rest.

Deadfire is just straight up better and it's a real shame that Pathfinder has sold so many so fast. I dunno why it's worked out this way because if you're just a random person on Steam you'd think both games would equally appeal. Is Pathfinder really that well known of a brand outside of the nerd circle who would also know about Pillars? Maybe there's just enough people that didn't like Pillars 1, I dunno.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 30, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alchemists are the best class imo.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Pathfinder is a very popular brand and this game has a lot of crossover appeal with 3.5 fans so not surprising that they didn't need to bother with marketing. Look at how much money the Pathfinder MMO KS raised with basically no fanfare outside of their own forums.
Blaming any perceived failure of Deadfire on Sawyer does seem to be a popular thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Having played both, Deadfire is a deeper, richer game but also needs a lot more investment to really enjoy. It’s a slower burn, basically, like good literary fiction.

Pathfinder is the airport thriller of baldur’s-gate-alikes. It’s easy to get into, the dialogue isn’t too demanding and the plot moves along briskly. Characters are drawn in pretty broad strokes but are clearly defined. If the writing’s occasionally a bit cringeworthy, well, ok, you’re not expecting Thomas Hardy.

Deadfire is Don DeLillo and Pathfinder is Bernard Cornwell. Both are fun, but I’m different ways.