Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Emberfox posted:

I think I've decided on a scimitar and shield shield basher type for aeon. I haven't seen shield bash in action and I like those types of characters.

I am running a longsword + shieldbash aeon Slayer Deliverer atm and I basically am rolling like +14d6 damage per hit on anyone flanked at like level 16. You are never getting solemn hour back irabeth this thing shreds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Other people have figured it out before me but Skald is a really strong MC or merc, especially with scimitars.

What you get is a party rage effect. If you take all the beast totem barbarian powers you get all your attacks when doing a charge. And more attacks for everyone, but especially for pets. And more ac for everyone that stacks with amulets/barkskin. If your other melee also have combat reflexes, seize the moment and ever ready the mobs just get turned into burger so fast. Scimitar is great for this because of how more likely you are to crit and in turn cause more aoo. On top of that you can have the lethal accuracy stance.

You can also get the spell good hope which is better than heroism, is a group buff. Mostly the casting is buffing but you get a lot of the good stuff. So like the scald can do all the hasting and so your wizard can have all control and damage spells until someone needs to cast mindblank all and heroic invocation.

The guy who made the AB stacking video posted a build here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lsg1G4d05s I built my guy a bit different to him in terms ability points, went for a pure dex guy.

I've tested it out. Its wild if all the melee have the three feats I mentioned above. What happens is if your guys just charge between mobs and trigger aoo for each other.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So I've started playing Wrath of the Righteous and I'm sure this has come up previously in this thread but the Tavern defense sucks. After dying like five times and going through the unskippable rotating cutscenes I turned the difficulty down to Fetus and breezed through it without looking back.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

So I've started playing Wrath of the Righteous and I'm sure this has come up previously in this thread but the Tavern defense sucks. After dying like five times and going through the unskippable rotating cutscenes I turned the difficulty down to Fetus and breezed through it without looking back.

If it matters you can trivialize most of it with a couple of grease spells at the gates. Though best solution is to conserve rests and just finish everything before triggering the event then you can skip it entirely.

But yeah, its the worst part of Act 1 for sure. Just really boring.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Tavern defense is fun in real time with pause mode.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
if you have Nenio (or any other caster) there is another very good option: the barman sells a scroll of Dragonform

I'm not spoilering this because it's a serious issue for new players right now: as long as the Mythic Nabassu isn't patched you might want to buy that and use it in that fight

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There's a mythic nabasu in that fight? I thought the boss was a lovely minotaur

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's a mythic nabasu in that fight? I thought the boss was a lovely minotaur

no I mean a later fight, you will instanlty know what I mean, reload because you wiped and then try to figure that poo poo out or toybox him

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Xanderkish posted:

Put Lann or whoever your archer is above the first broken gate and snipe any alchemists that come thru, don't worry too much about the other guys, but grease at that gate will slow them down a lot. The other guys suicide a lot straight into that defensive line in front of the tavern.

I usually put Lann up there with Camelia to defend him and the ladder entry there, then my melee main character and Seelah at the first gate just outside the grease spot with Nenio and Ember kind of hanging out in-between buffing and catching any stragglers. After awhile the second gate will blow, and you need to throw a grease there too.

Also, play in turn-based mode. When I first started Wrath, I was playing in real time, but that battle made me switch to turn-based, and I only go to realtime when I'm fighting trash.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
My first tavern battle in turn based took 2+h, while the subsequent ones in real time (and lower difficulty) were much faster.

What annoys me about it though is that you aren't allowed to prepare even if you scout things out. Why can't I put my archers on the roof or grease the gates beforehand as a reward for the reconnaissance? Don't think there is any difference in going to the tower and knowing of the attack or not.

Finished the game over the course of the last week. Still think the game has balance issues for normal due to the wide array of possibilities and the devs going for overkill even on normal. Keep your 80 AC monsters off the critical path and maybe not 6 fights deep only to realize you didn't bring the touch artillery. My fault obviously but man was it annoying. Turn based is really fun though if there weren't so many trash encounters that lengthen the game and just eat some resources if you use realtime.

Special gently caress You to the designer of the Enigma. Really cool area and thematically appropriate enemies but spamming enemies in a puzzle dungeon who spam wave of exhaustion making movement a snails pace do not belong together. Puzzles should be devoid of enemies outside of the boss.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Tavern battle was pretty cool first time I did it. Although I guess I should've just left the non Arsonists cultists just filter in (if they weren't too busy falling on grease that is) and get killed by the crusader deathstack by the main entrance and moved myself to the walls while casting grease on the other gate.

I don't envy the poor bastards who had to deal with the minotaur corpse after the battle.

Also I got some kind of weird glitch where there were demon corpses all over the tavern bedroom but I haven't skipped the battle. And it's only in the bedroom too.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Danann posted:

Tavern battle was pretty cool first time I did it. Although I guess I should've just left the non Arsonists cultists just filter in (if they weren't too busy falling on grease that is) and get killed by the crusader deathstack by the main entrance and moved myself to the walls while casting grease on the other gate.

I don't envy the poor bastards who had to deal with the minotaur corpse after the battle.

Also I got some kind of weird glitch where there were demon corpses all over the tavern bedroom but I haven't skipped the battle. And it's only in the bedroom too.

The corpses are a gift :)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Please do not tell people to go turn-based for all of the tavern fight they will literally be there for hours. The toggle is usable at any time for a reason.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Besides something weird, was there a basis in the pathfinder fiction for what the Other was supposed to be? Seemed like a hivemind of undead. Saw that in Mask of the Betrayer. Also the dead of Giustenal in the Dark Sun setting, if you remember obscure 2e source books because you were a nerdy only child who downloaded old tabletop sourcebooks.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Aurubin posted:

Besides something weird, was there a basis in the pathfinder fiction for what the Other was supposed to be? Seemed like a hivemind of undead. Saw that in Mask of the Betrayer. Also the dead of Giustenal in the Dark Sun setting, if you remember obscure 2e source books because you were a nerdy only child who downloaded old tabletop sourcebooks.

No idea on Pathfinder lore, as I actually never played the tabletop version, but I did play Dark Sun in the 90s, but somehow missed that sourcebook. I would sacrifice to some eldritch god for another Dark Sun PC game though, I loved that world setting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That unique Dark Sun baddy became a general Caller in Darkness monster for 3.5 psionic books. Not sure though if the Other is supposed to be one of D&D's amalgam undead generally, or if there is some other more specific link I'm missing.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Aurubin posted:

Pathfinder has an explicit Cthulhu mythos with greater and outer gods etc, it can be part of that without breaking canon.

edit to be sure, that isn't so important, the whole game is a gigantic what-if experiment of the og AP

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 29, 2021

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Is there a cold iron amulet or bracers or something for natural attacks? I’m using Lann as a wild shaping Druid and he’s bouncing off of a lot of mobs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
theres the belt thing , or align weapon, or theres amulets of agile or mighty fists up to +4. i think you need +2 or +3 to ignore cold iron requirements. or theres the mythic thing that makes all natural attacks ignore all damage reduction except /-

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Naramyth posted:

Is there a cold iron amulet or bracers or something for natural attacks? I’m using Lann as a wild shaping Druid and he’s bouncing off of a lot of mobs.

Any +3 amulet of mighty fists should count as cold iron (and silver). It's one of the passive built-in benefits of going with extra +s instead of stacking stuff like Holy and Flaming.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
But I want it now, not whenever +3 gear starts appearing :mad:

At least it shows up. I’ll keep on the Lann Druid plan instead of him being a forgettable archer.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if you pick up the busted belt buckle in kenabres market square and talk to the story teller about it and find all the bits to repair it you can get an aura that makes all of your weapons count as cold iron/good right at the start of act 2

edit also there's potions of align weapon in the shops in kenabres I think

jsoh fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 29, 2021

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Having finally finished Wrath, I like it, even if it's clearly unfinished. I appreciate Owlcat's ambition but boy they bite off more than they can chew. Considering they're both exercises in pain, I think I prefer Kingmaker, if only because I prefer a smaller story. Saving the world versus The Lantern King is a dick. Really do appreciate the divergences in the mythic paths, even if they're not that huge. Looking forward to their Starfinder game which will invariably include base management, planetary/space combat like their HoMM clone, and, uhh...the Mako sections from Mass Effect 1.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Honestly, they just need to do the next game in PF2 so it condenses the options and cuts off all these weird edge cases and calculations. Fewer options means more bughunting on existing classes

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I really want to see Owlcat try Starfinder next, Attack of the Swarm or Fly Free or Die could be a lot of fun.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The (quite obvious) UI and UX changes, like stating outright that a chest is locked, or getting an automatic DC calculation in the spell description (although it also should have just stated what level of enchancement/number of rays spells like Shield of Faith/Scorching Ray get) makes me hopeful for their ability to see past their obvious "sadistic game design". I can deal with difficulty, but the tedium stemming from the calculating somehing that the game already knows is really unneeded.

And yes, going to the second edition would also help. Yeah, less classes, but also much more clarity - and they added their own character kits anyway.

Edit: gently caress, if they added "take 10/20" outside of the super special class ability it would be marvelous. I save before a check anyway, and obviously this method cannot be used in time-sensitive situations, but I shouldn't meditate before a chest and stack buffs just because there is a 10% chance of it not being opened by lockpicking.

And mods probably also add the option, but they can't be relied on for a console player.

Edit 2: and if they went back to Kingmaker on consoles and worked on the bugs still present and obvious years after the lauch it would be grand.

I do wonder if - assuming there actually will be a third game - the sale on release/number of preorders will suffer from the two previous' games problems. Not a week passes without a well justified opinion is stated that a full priced release is not an opportunity to engage in a paid beta test.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 30, 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's pretty funny to vibe check all these demons and cultists in the Grey Garrison using one door and grease/pits.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Szurumbur posted:

I do wonder if - assuming there actually will be a third game - the sale on release/number of preorders will suffer from the two previous' games problems. Not a week passes without a well justified opinion is stated that a full priced release is not an opportunity to engage in a paid beta test.

No reason there wouldn't be, Wrath has sold really well to date as CRPGs go, and it's a genre that traditionally keeps waves of sales going quite a while as word of mouth reverberates. While I'm not going to go as far as to defend the practice, I would say that most people who are into western style CRPGs go into them fully expecting them to be semi-broken messes to one degree or another for quite a while after release. Between the size of the studios involved and the nearly fractal web of complicated bullshit the systems they deal with are formed of, it's kind of tradition, so I doubt it effects their core audience very much.

Typically sequels get more polished over time, afaik Icewind Dale 2 came out in a relatively buttery smooth fashion, but I think the ridiculous layers of complexity and number of edge cases provided by Mythic poo poo counterbalanced whatever mastery Owlcat gained since Kingmaker. If somehow they go back to a more base Pathfinder experience I'd expect it to come out reasonably sound, but that seems like it would be very un-Owlcat of them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

Edit: gently caress, if they added "take 10/20" outside of the super special class ability it would be marvelous. I save before a check anyway, and obviously this method cannot be used in time-sensitive situations, but I shouldn't meditate before a chest and stack buffs just because there is a 10% chance of it not being opened by lockpicking.

And mods probably also add the option, but they can't be relied on for a console player.

Honestly if they just let you retry locks it would be fine. The entire problem hinges on Owlcat's GM fiat to make open lock a one-and-done-until-you-level check. It's a problem with perception checks too, to a lesser degree. There's no reason it shouldn't be giving you a new perception roll, say, every 24 hours in the overworld. Perception in 'dungeons' is different because vs. traps there's a penalty of failure (you miss the trap and set it off when you move forward), but there's no reason you couldn't take 20 looking for secret doors. So, maybe get a recheck every hour?

If they REALLY are tied to lockpicking failures, give it the same catastrophic failure rules that traps get where you set it off if you fail by more than 5 (I think?).

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Owlcat put out a job listing for something sci-fi related, so unless it's Iron Gods or a new ip I imagine it's Starfinder.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

Honestly, they just need to do the next game in PF2 so it condenses the options and cuts off all these weird edge cases and calculations. Fewer options means more bughunting on existing classes

I'm half-expecting them to be waiting until PF 2e has just as many options as PF 1e. They've certainly been ballooning feats, classes and ancestries with the new manuals and Adventure Paths. But who knows. I have faith that a turn-based CRPG using the PF 2e rules could be a ton of fun.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think they see the huge number of classes as one of their main selling points

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah that's the problem, even if they were willing to make that trade, there would be more people mad at them for removing options than there are people who see the advantage in a more focused experience

but at the very least if this is going to be the standard, they could have the decency not to drop the respec feature on higher difficulties. what is the difficulty for, if not challenging you to make a build around certain encounters/dungeons?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
also owlcat is groggy enough that i think they might be in the group of people who dislike 2e for being too easy/for babies, as silly as that sounds

additionally, pathfinder 2e is gonna require some work to convert to CRPG - the whole skill system requires a bunch more and more interesting out of combat stuff than is in the existing pathfinder CRPGs, stuff along the lines of the Original Sin games. you can't just cut down the skills willy-nilly like owlcat has done so far, or the whole thing falls apart.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
If they ever iron out the majority of the bugs for what they've done so far, switching to a new system to deal with a pile of new bugs is the last thing they'll want to do.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Owlcat style of making a Kickstarter then being beholden to all the crazy promises and reward tiers is a problem no matter what they do.

Making a third game in the same engine with only a few new features would be the ideal situation, but most likely they add in another 30-40 archetypes, more races, feats etc. and end up with the same situation as they had before. That doesn't even take into account whatever "management" system they want to jam in.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean part of the fun of the crpgs is snapping the game in half, so

pentyne posted:

The Owlcat style of making a Kickstarter then being beholden to all the crazy promises and reward tiers is a problem no matter what they do.

Making a third game in the same engine with only a few new features would be the ideal situation, but most likely they add in another 30-40 archetypes, more races, feats etc. and end up with the same situation as they had before. That doesn't even take into account whatever "management" system they want to jam in.

I like the management stuff but I'm a weirdo. Honestly I want them to do iron gods next because it's so out there for a game like this and they have some of the mechanics for it thanks to blackwater

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I mean part of the fun of the crpgs is snapping the game in half, so

I like the management stuff but I'm a weirdo. Honestly I want them to do iron gods next because it's so out there for a game like this and they have some of the mechanics for it thanks to blackwater

The management stuff sold me on Kingmaker, even if it was half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

but also if they have to keep all the options, why are we limited to precisely one stat spread/class/subclass for every party member? why not give us like five build options for everyone?