Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Pathfinder is the airport thriller of baldur’s-gate-alikes. It’s easy to get into, the dialogue isn’t too demanding and the plot moves along briskly. Characters are drawn in pretty broad strokes but are clearly defined. If the writing’s occasionally a bit cringeworthy, well, ok, you’re not expecting Thomas Hardy.

Is it? I'd definitely disagree because of all the bad reviews and the negative general feel around the game.
Because it's so infinitely sloppily made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I learned about Pathfinder through Critical Role (which I only recently found out about) and when I checked to see if anyone had made a Pathfinder video game I found this game and put it on my Steam wishlist, the end :v:

It appealed to me in part because I wanted to play a game like this but had a hard time getting into Pillars of Eternity. Then goons told me I could play Pillars of Eternity 2 without having played 1 so I ended up refunding this game to play that while they work out bugs and patch this, and then I'll probably play it later :shobon:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Can someone tell me when exactly you get to hire/make custom NPCs? All the party members in this make me want to kill myself.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Talk to the archer lady at the trading post.

It might be bugged.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm probably not far enough. I read somewhere it's after you secure Olegs. I assumed it was after you protect it from bandits.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Taear posted:

Is it? I'd definitely disagree because of all the bad reviews and the negative general feel around the game.

“Infinitely sloppily made” is a p good description of airport thrillers, which was my point. You don’t expect great art or even good craftsmanship, just entertaining enough filler.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm probably not far enough. I read somewhere it's after you secure Olegs. I assumed it was after you protect it from bandits.

You'd be right.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So I went boar hunting, and barbarian lady wants to solo it to prove her warrior prowess or whatever. Naturally it effortlessly kills her and then wipes my party one by one. Does armor and shields even do anything? Every little loving squirrel has +1000000000 to hit.

Aren't bards supposed to have inspirations or something? Lindzi can't seem to do anything beyond casting 3 crappy level 1 spells or miss with her crossbow. I found it. drat UI hiding things away.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 30, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Poil posted:

Does armor and shields even do anything?
Nope. At low levels they should be somewhat effective, but tuning is trash right now.

quote:

Aren't bards supposed to have inspirations or something? Lindzi can't seem to do anything beyond casting 3 crappy level 1 spells or miss with her crossbow.

She has a bard song that gives...drum roll please...a whopping +1 to hit.

I was gonna say something nice about this game, but I was forced to rest because of Octavia's 8 con and then got attacked by a random mastodon on the road which has like 200 hp or some poo poo vs my level 4 characters.

There's a gem of a good game buried in here, but I'm gonna go to bed and stop playing it now because this is getting obnoxious and painful.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
click the a for abilities, and you'll see..

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Poil posted:

So I went boar hunting, and barbarian lady wants to solo it to prove her warrior prowess or whatever. Naturally it effortlessly kills her and then wipes my party one by one. Does armor and shields even do anything? Every little loving squirrel has +1000000000 to hit.

Aren't bards supposed to have inspirations or something? Lindzi can't seem to do anything beyond casting 3 crappy level 1 spells or miss with her crossbow. I found it. drat UI hiding things away.

Put it on Story and she can solo it pretty easily. Although the game doesn't seem to recognise that your party helped her anyway, I shot it a bunch of times by accident and it was still fine.

I never do anything with Linzi other than shooting because it's such a pain in the arse having to micromanage her songs.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There's a gem of a good game buried in here, but I'm gonna go to bed and stop playing it now because this is getting obnoxious and painful.

Put it on Story. Don't put yourself through the ridiculous combat stuff.
Instead have fun with the broken quests and CONSTANT RESTING.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 30, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Don't let Amiri solo it, all she'll do when you attack it is say 'hey I said I was gonna do it by myself' then when she lands a single hit she says 'OK I wounded it now come finish it off' and once you murder it she acts like she did it herself.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re traps: You may be in my party but walk into one more bloody trap while I’m trying to disarm it, buddy, and it’s not just off the team it’s off this mortal coil and, if anyone is ever dumb enough to resurrect you, they’ll be looking for your limbs and internal organs for....... a while.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Re traps: You may be in my party but walk into one more bloody trap while I’m trying to disarm it, buddy, and it’s not just off the team it’s off this mortal coil and, if anyone is ever dumb enough to resurrect you, they’ll be looking for your limbs and internal organs for....... a while.

The easiest way to solve that is to set the game to auto pause when a trap is detected. Then you can tell your guys to go elsewhere.
It doesn't help when you're trying to disarm with the whole party selected and it just walks you onto the trap instead, but you know. Baby steps.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I rested and suddenly my main character was fatigued. And then I rested again and now they are exhausted? WTF?

Welp, resting does nothing. My character is just permanently hosed over for no reason lol.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 30, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yeah, I'm wandering why there been a few times it seems my main (grenadier) didn't seem to have bombs and spells recharge. Do those dreams gently caress it up?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Playing this a bit, it feels basically like my mental image of 3.x/Paizo stuff. A neat adventure path, that's lost behind an incomprehensible amount of character options if you aren't used to 3.x style poo poo and random difficulty jumps. Also I guess the rest system is one way to make sure the wizard's can't poo poo on the fighters non-stop but, uh, it feels really annoying.

EDIT: And why would anyone ever want to take Traditional Monk? Like. Ouch. I also kinda feel strictly sticking to the system for out of battle stuff too wasn't the best idea. D20 stuff is swingy, but works well enough for P&P stuff. It's just annoying when I have to reload to do something in a video game.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 30, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

World Famous W posted:

Yeah, I'm wandering why there been a few times it seems my main (grenadier) didn't seem to have bombs and spells recharge. Do those dreams gently caress it up?

Yes, if you have the nightmares your main character doesn't get to rest like everyone else. I ended up having to travel all the way back to Olegs to rest. Don't know if it was luck that I didn't get the nightmares while sleeping in the bed or if the bed bypasses it due to not using the camping interface, but Christ does it suck that the nightmares just hard lock down your MC and end up with that huge speed penalty even if you're just trying to book it back to Oleg.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Poil posted:

I rested and suddenly my main character was fatigued. And then I rested again and now they are exhausted? WTF?

Welp, resting does nothing. My character is just permanently hosed over for no reason lol.

World Famous W posted:

I was able to rest in the bed at the trading post when this happened, but yeah, you'll want to rush to the location in your journal asap.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Haha, welp! Guess I got my next goal

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. But having randomly no rest is really annoying. Who thought that was a good idea?

I finally managed to track down and kill that dumb rival. And some enemy cleric just strolls into the room and resurrects him after I left. loving quest giver said to BRING HIM IN dead or alive but it was impossible to interact with his corpse beyond looting it. I couldn't even desecrate or behead it. Choochoo DM, choo-loving-choo.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Poil posted:

And some enemy cleric just strolls into the room and resurrects him after I left. loving quest giver said to BRING HIM IN dead or alive but it was impossible to interact with his corpse beyond looting it. I couldn't even desecrate or behead it. Choochoo DM, choo-loving-choo.

Now now, it wouldn't be a tabletop game without the DM railroading the story into the path they want it to go. Even if story beats require you to ignore game mechanics or logic.

On an unrelated note.

How many loving 'melted shard of a ring' do you need to remake it, you blind elf. I've got probably 10 rings worth of material here.

I'm getting the feeling that recrafting the artifacts is 100% story or level locked, and you only need a couple pieces.

Atleast I hope it is, otherwise locking a couple items because finding 20+ pieces scattered around on enemies, chests, hidden places, etc just seems way too unforgiving. (Unless they can keep dropping as part of loot tables etc.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Poil posted:

Thanks. But having randomly no rest is really annoying. Who thought that was a good idea?

I finally managed to track down and kill that dumb rival. And some enemy cleric just strolls into the room and resurrects him after I left. loving quest giver said to BRING HIM IN dead or alive but it was impossible to interact with his corpse beyond looting it. I couldn't even desecrate or behead it. Choochoo DM, choo-loving-choo.
It's the same person who thought "three minutes walking on the open map means you're exhausted and have to rest" was a good idea. Or "show them what enemies dropped when you zone but can't pick up because of encumbrance" was a good idea.

It's okay, he comes back, he doesn't know who he used to be, he's in an alliance that seems to have lasted for ages and when you kill him nothing happens. Yay!!!!

SubNat posted:

How many loving 'melted shard of a ring' do you need to remake it, you blind elf. I've got probably 10 rings worth of material here.

I've got FIFTEEN shards of a dwarf helmet.
Who the hell do I even take it to?

The same goes for all the stuff you find that "an antiques dealer would probably like".

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 30, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Taear posted:

I've got FIFTEEN shards of a dwarf helmet.
Who the hell do I even take it to?

The same goes for all the stuff you find that "an antiques dealer would probably like".

Once you finish Chapter 1 and have claimed the barony, talk to the Storyteller NPC in your throne room, he takes turnins of all that stuff for a ton more gold than you'd get for straight selling it.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 30, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

Once you finish Chapter 1 and have claimed the barony, talk to the Storyteller NPC in your throne room, he takes turnins of all that stuff for a ton more gold than you'd get for straight selling it.

Oh. I haven't spoken to him at all, I just assumed he'd do journal stuff and I didn't care about it. Why isn't he called something else?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Taear posted:

Oh. I haven't spoken to him at all, I just assumed he'd do journal stuff and I didn't care about it. Why isn't he called something else?

I actually kind of like his gimmick - the stories he tells are the stories of the lost civilisations and peoples that produced that stuff in the first place, etc. I'm not sure if there was any name they could give him that would scream "give this guy all your miscellaneous artifacts" though.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Having played both, Deadfire is a deeper, richer game but also needs a lot more investment to really enjoy. It’s a slower burn, basically, like good literary fiction.

Pathfinder is the airport thriller of baldur’s-gate-alikes. It’s easy to get into, the dialogue isn’t too demanding and the plot moves along briskly. Characters are drawn in pretty broad strokes but are clearly defined. If the writing’s occasionally a bit cringeworthy, well, ok, you’re not expecting Thomas Hardy.

Taear posted:

I think this is actually a really good analogy, but mostly in the narrative sense (which, as I read it, is how it was meant). Obviously, gameplay-wise there's a lot more currently broken about this game than Pillars and also it's a ton harder (partly because it's Pathfinder, partly because it was balanced by and for sadomasochistic Russian minmaxers), but narratively it's easy and familiar.

It's small-scale politics and nationbuilding and little problems in a familiar kind of fantasy world rather than World-Shaking Existential Dilemmas: The Sequel and a dictionary's worth of barely-pronouncable new words and names and places and races. It's no surprise that it sold as-well-if-not-better but with the game in the state it is, that mostly means it's going to disappoint a ton more people.

Which is a crying shame because I like both games, honestly, this one just needed developers and beta testers who weren't so in love with the idea of "a hardcore CRPG that doesn't hold your hand, based mostly faithfully on the tabletop system that was an explicit backlash reaction to the 'casualized'
D&D 4th edition". Arguably that Inception of nerd gatekeeping meant it was always going to end up like this.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 30, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Taear posted:

It's funny that somehow in their mind (I dunno if this is a Russian thing, who knows) being Lawful Good also means being a gigantic loving racist who believes any animalistic race has evil baked deep into their core. RP wise it bothers me that sometimes I have to pick an alignment piece of speech with no other choices when it's really not what I want to say.

Ignore alignment and say whatever you think they should. That's kinda the point.

Seriously, just turn off the hints about alignment.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Ignore alignment and say whatever you think they should. That's kinda the point.

Seriously, just turn off the hints about alignment.

I already do ignore them, it's just a pain when the only options are "Lawful Neutral" and "Chaotic Evil" or something like that. Why not give me something else? I don't feel my character would do either of them and that's why she's chaotic good.
And it's insane that Lawful Good is so murder happy.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think this is actually a really good analogy, but mostly in the narrative sense (which, as I read it, is how it was meant). Obviously, gameplay-wise there's a lot more currently broken about this game than Pillars and also it's a ton harder (partly because it's Pathfinder, partly because it was balanced by and for sadomasochistic Russian minmaxers), but narratively it's easy and familiar.

For me the analogy would work if the game was simple but "breezy" in that it all just works. Like Ni No Kuni 2 works for that, it's simple and silly but with loads to do, it's junk but fun.
This is more like a badly written fanfiction. You might enjoy it because you really like that world or it might have a few well written characters but the story is badly put together and hard to follow because the person writing it is SO familiar with the setting that they don't know any more what isn't common knowledge.

And for the storyteller guy - just have one of the tutorial messages tell you that's what he does. Or have a quest he gives out. Easy enough!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Taear posted:

I already do ignore them, it's just a pain when the only options are "Lawful Neutral" and "Chaotic Evil" or something like that. Why not give me something else? I don't feel my character would do either of them and that's why she's chaotic good.
And it's insane that Lawful Good is so murder happy.

I think my favorite Alignment Dialog moment was talking to Tristian (seriously the game seems to think I should care about him more than I do - I have a cleric, dammit!) and I had a whole bunch of "not Lawful Evils" choices when discussing his approach to mercy, along with "Wow you really have a noble spirit for trying to redeem everyone".

Because someone on the internet said evil states got skeleton troops, I picked the non-alignment option only for Tristian to tell me "naw man you only say that if you wanna gently caress".

I suppose it's one way to distinguish the game's writing.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Stokes posted:

Josh Sawyer is too busy treating his single player rpg like an mmo. The patches and petty, unnecessary nerfs won't stop until he's satisfied. (He'll never be satisfied) Gamers are catching on and moving on. Heck there are more people playing the first game than the second game still.

As far as this game goes, I really want to like it but the developers are doing everything possible to turn anyone but the most hardcore masochistic grognard off of it, and it starts right away. Absurd enemy armor classes in the tutorial, terrible starting NPCs with terrible, nonsensical stats, god-like spider swarms, chests perma-locking if you fail the pick until you level up again, etc. It's just such a chore.

tbh deadfire peak = kingmaker peak is probably the rtwp fantasy genre showing the limit of its audience, not gamers rise up against pillars of Eternity II design decisions lmao

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I reached level 4. :toot:

So many years ago today in another game by this point I was beating up lizardmen in ruins which had sunk into a swamp. Now instead I wandered into a cave full of wererats. Need to acquire some cold iron weapons before going back there.

The pittance of xp for the fights doesn't really bother me. I assume they've balanced it so you'll be about level 20 at the end otherwise the amount of content would either put you into epic levels or put you at the level cap halfway through the game or something. :shobon:

I do wish the graphics setting would stop resetting themselves everytime I start up the game though.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

tbh deadfire peak = kingmaker peak is probably the rtwp fantasy genre showing the limit of its audience, not gamers rise up against pillars of Eternity II design decisions lmao

Seems like turn-based won the RPG popularity contest. Divinity Original Sin 2 was and still is much more popular. Deadfire had more concurrent players for only about month before it dipped below the amount players DOS2 had almost a year after release.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I just found the Goblin party you can decide to join. Drinking spoiled ale, stealing food from dogs and singing very badly has never been so much fun.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Well, then. Cleared chapter 3 and have 48 hours in this silly game. And it's almost 5 AM, I'm going to work in 4 hours, so that was a wise decision. This game really needs an ingame clock for people like me who can't stop playing. :P

Also, my barony will get wiped by an arcane phenomenon in two months (I skipped ahead, and it straight up destroyed my kingdom, so I had to reload), how do I defeat that? And Tristian went rogue on me in during the boss fight for chapther 3, will I ever get another char that can fill the counsilor spot, or am I hosed?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

This game feels like it needed another balance pass or two, any semi-uniqueish monster feels like it's massively more powerful than it should be, both by generally being a right pain to affect with spells or hit and by doing way more damage than stuff at that level should be doing. Not helping matters is that it feels like stats on everything are pointlessly obscured along with tooltips generally being pretty bad which makes planning out feats a pain in the rear end.

Also using P&P skill checks in a CRPG feels real bad, especially when going off as swingy a system as D20. It works fine when a GM isn't going to screw you, it feels horrible when you just reload because something went bad.

Also holy crap why is movement so slow even with no encumberance.

I really like the kingdom building stuff as a conceit, and it's nice to have a CRPG that focuses more on it but holy heck everything else just feels so rough.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I feel it's only slow as long as it rains.

Oh well, got past my troubles and got stuck on a candle puzzle.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Datasmurf posted:

Well, then. Cleared chapter 3 and have 48 hours in this silly game. And it's almost 5 AM, I'm going to work in 4 hours, so that was a wise decision. This game really needs an ingame clock for people like me who can't stop playing. :P

Also, my barony will get wiped by an arcane phenomenon in two months (I skipped ahead, and it straight up destroyed my kingdom, so I had to reload), how do I defeat that? And Tristian went rogue on me in during the boss fight for chapther 3, will I ever get another char that can fill the counsilor spot, or am I hosed?

drat, I feel like I've played a LOT and am just now in the Womb of Lamashtu I feel like a noob now. I am still enjoying this game a lot despite the naysayers though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I really loved NWN but sort of hate BG-like games where there's a bunch of other people to worry about. I'm not sure why I'm enjoying Rest Simulator 2018/Pathfinder as much as I am. Other than the spider swarms.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

I really loved NWN but sort of hate BG-like games where there's a bunch of other people to worry about. I'm not sure why I'm enjoying Rest Simulator 2018/Pathfinder as much as I am. Other than the spider swarms.

I learned to appreciate how simple the swarms are after the Wisps started coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Gorelab posted:

This game feels like it needed another balance pass or two, any semi-uniqueish monster feels like it's massively more powerful than it should be, both by generally being a right pain to affect with spells or hit and by doing way more damage than stuff at that level should be doing. Not helping matters is that it feels like stats on everything are pointlessly obscured along with tooltips generally being pretty bad which makes planning out feats a pain in the rear end.

Also using P&P skill checks in a CRPG feels real bad, especially when going off as swingy a system as D20. It works fine when a GM isn't going to screw you, it feels horrible when you just reload because something went bad.

Also holy crap why is movement so slow even with no encumberance.

I really like the kingdom building stuff as a conceit, and it's nice to have a CRPG that focuses more on it but holy heck everything else just feels so rough.

This game's balance feels incredibly hosed. I'm level six, cruising through a dungeon doing fine against all the traps/fights and then I get to the boss fight against a caster and fighter. The caster has 33 AC and machine guns Blind, Hold Person, and Magic Missile while the fighter attacks three or four times per round at +27 for 2d6+27-ish each. I'm not entirely sure how to approach the fight at this point.