Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Grenadier is an extremely strong class, and I love running with one as a mercenary, but I wouldn't make the main character one for a first time run. I say this from experience, having actually done so. I managed to stick it out until the end of act 2, but by the time I finished it, I was so sick of it that I respecced wholly to ranger and never looked back.

For a first run, going with a martial class or a ranged class is probably gonna be the most newbie friendly options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DeathSandwich posted:

I would avoid wiz/sorc as a first character if you're new to the system. Given how most enemies you fight have spell resistance and some amount of elemental damage reduction it'll be difficult to make a viable character as you're trying to figure out which spells are worthwhile.

Rogue is good and pretty versatile, all you really need to do is get in on monsters that another NPC is in melee with and you'll do gangbusters. Slayer is really easy to build well. If you want to dip your toes into casting, bloodrager is also a great starter.

If you want to be like a ranged blaster, rather than a wizard, give Grenadier Alchemist a swing, they dodge a lot of the pitfalls of blaster casters in Wrath of the righteous (namely, they skirt spell resistance and have an easier time hitting), they get access to a lot of support and buffing magic that is still useful, and they get some amazing skill growth.

I'm only on Act 2 but it was frustrating that everything had spell resist and seemingly high saving throws until I accidentally discovered they are clumsy idiots who fail reflex saves all the time. Now I just laugh at the comedy routine of 6 demons falling down in grease every turn.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Just got this game and it seems cool but I'm not sure which class to pick. The first character I made was a wizard but then I was thinking a rogue would be cool to play. Is rogue difficult when you don't have a ton of experience with the pathfinder ruleset? Slayer is also a class I was thinking about. Also are there any big pitfalls to be aware of during character creation?

Slayer is a very, very strong martial melee/ranged class, you can't really go wrong with it and it's often a go to for dips or hybrid builds. It's basically a fighter/rogue with very few downsides. There are a lot of companion arcane/divine casters so going pure pure martial or a half caster class is probably the best way to dip your toes into the system

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Grenadier is an extremely strong class, and I love running with one as a mercenary, but I wouldn't make the main character one for a first time run. I say this from experience, having actually done so. I managed to stick it out until the end of act 2, but by the time I finished it, I was so sick of it that I respecced wholly to ranger and never looked back.

For a first run, going with a martial class or a ranged class is probably gonna be the most newbie friendly options.

I went grenadier first run. yes, the opening is awful because you get to throw one bomb per turn and it does fire damage, which every loving demon in the game is resistant to

however by the end of the game I was fast-balling 8 bombs a turn and they were all doing Divine damage, completely loving anything that they hit. the rest of the party was barely relevant.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm only on Act 2 but it was frustrating that everything had spell resist and seemingly high saving throws until I accidentally discovered they are clumsy idiots who fail reflex saves all the time. Now I just laugh at the comedy routine of 6 demons falling down in grease every turn.

Like, for real, Grease and Glitterdust are pretty low-key two of the best spells in the game.

One of the most shockingly effective full-arcane caster for Wrath of the Righteous is a Sylvan Sorcerer focusing on Conjuration that does nothing but summon poo poo npcs to cause logjams, and drop selective spell grease and glitterdust and pit traps everywhere. None of those are subject to spell resistance and you can supplement all of it with utility spells like haste and true sight. I don't like it for the MC because it has poo poo skill growth, but they make for excellent support mercenaries.

Also for any newbies - Communal Delay Poison is great and allows for stinking cloud or cloudkill shenannigans without incapacitating your dudes. I run all those spells on Ember to go with her sleep hex and she does gangbusters on crowd control.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 4, 2022

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've just noticed the "party members are present in every conversation" button in Toy Box. Does it mean that I can make 5 mercs (1 or 2, more realistically) to party with from scratch and still get all the companion conversations, quests, etc...?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It doesn't work for companion quests. You actually have to bring them with you. But outside of a few rare instances, there's no downsides to using it. Only one situation is coming to mind at the moment, but I know I've encountered a couple. So just be aware that it occasionally fucks up scripting and you'll have to reload from a previous save with it toggled off to progress.

Wenduag Act 5 Companion Quest Spoilers: After killing Savamelekh, Lann is supposed to offer to join you, provided you saved his life in act 3. But with "distant companions can talk" toggled on, he just stands there staring while you have a private moment with Wenduag. And then he disappears from the game altogether after you leave the map.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Ugh.

On my recent play binge, I've now gotten to chapter 3 on two different characters - a flamecaller bard azata and an angel white mage arcanist, the latter of whom I did go ahead and do a toybox'd spellbook merge with because I think the divide for the book merges on the L9 casters is Dumb™ (and I'm planning on taking that character into the realm of theurge Legend, so it's halfway semantic anyway and I'd rather play as arcanist in the earlier part of the game than oracle). But now I kinda also want to play some of the things similar to what I messed around with in Kingmaker, like a feyspeaker druid or a sylvan sorc, with the ability to ride animal companions. I'd love to ride into battle atop my mighty triceratops, throwing down spells and eventually transforming myself for a mighty charge, all leading into turning into a gold dragon late game.

But I hear and have seen an example or two of the actual GD plot being the worst of the mythics by far.

Goddammit. The paralysis of choosing cool things. :negative:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Ugh.

On my recent play binge, I've now gotten to chapter 3 on two different characters - a flamecaller bard azata and an angel white mage arcanist, the latter of whom I did go ahead and do a toybox'd spellbook merge with because I think the divide for the book merges on the L9 casters is Dumb™ (and I'm planning on taking that character into the realm of theurge Legend, so it's halfway semantic anyway and I'd rather play as arcanist in the earlier part of the game than oracle). But now I kinda also want to play some of the things similar to what I messed around with in Kingmaker, like a feyspeaker druid or a sylvan sorc, with the ability to ride animal companions. I'd love to ride into battle atop my mighty triceratops, throwing down spells and eventually transforming myself for a mighty charge, all leading into turning into a gold dragon late game.

But I hear and have seen an example or two of the actual GD plot being the worst of the mythics by far.

Goddammit. The paralysis of choosing cool things. :negative:

Well if you wait a bit, Gold Dragon is slated to get some changes in the enhanced edition. That's going to be out at the end of September. They haven't released the scope of the planned changes so we don't know if they'll be enough but almost anything would be better than how it is now.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I wouldn't be surprised if EE got bumped back a bit, they just pushed back the third DLC (the roguelike) to the end of August.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol I just got sinking cloud in kingmaker on my Sylvan sorc and now I'm just walking through encounters

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lol I lost a possible advisor because I told him he couldn’t keep a troll to torture. Yeah it’s not one of the six river freedoms but gently caress that no torture in the barony of the stag.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arivia posted:

Lol I lost a possible advisor because I told him he couldn’t keep a troll to torture. Yeah it’s not one of the six river freedoms but gently caress that no torture in the barony of the stag.

I would argue that chaining a sentient creature up to use as an experimental subject absolutely violates the anti-slavery freedom. Killing a troll is OK; there's a lot of violence in the River Kingdoms (sure, most kingdoms have laws about killing, but it's not a Freedom). Jailing a troll that committed a crime is weird but also OK. Involuntarily using them for testing though?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Prism posted:

I would argue that chaining a sentient creature up to use as an experimental subject absolutely violates the anti-slavery freedom. Killing a troll is OK; there's a lot of violence in the River Kingdoms (sure, most kingdoms have laws about killing, but it's not a Freedom). Jailing a troll that committed a crime is weird but also OK. Involuntarily using them for testing though?

Yeah I think that’s fair. Valerie also called me a weak-willed coward for doing it lol.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

cock hero flux posted:

I went grenadier first run. yes, the opening is awful because you get to throw one bomb per turn and it does fire damage, which every loving demon in the game is resistant to

however by the end of the game I was fast-balling 8 bombs a turn and they were all doing Divine damage, completely loving anything that they hit. the rest of the party was barely relevant.

The nice thing is that you have two options early - you can either take the holy water discovery to bypass elemental resistance, or you can take the ascendant element in your damage type of choice at the end of act 1 and not give a poo poo anymore. The comedy option is to take it in electricity and use the item from blackwater to turn all your energy damage to electricity so you can still use acid or fire bombs at will and not worry about damage reduction.

It's not as ideal, but grenadier gets martial weapon proficiency too, so you can always fill time taking pot shots with a longbow imbued with Alch fire.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arivia posted:

Yeah I think that’s fair. Valerie also called me a weak-willed coward for doing it lol.

I told them both to kick rocks. I'm Baroness McBadass who just saved your rear end from trolls, do you really wanna push that issue?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Troll Mengele is straight up one of the evilest dudes in the game imo, and it’s a game that has Jaethal in it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Or right, another question - does WotR allow you to be a real undead, like Jaethal was? In Kingmaker it was a bloodline option and even then only at lv. 20 did it really affect you. I'd guess being a Lich should be more permanent...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Being undead and all that implies is the core of the Lich mythic path.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Szurumbur posted:

Or right, another question - does WotR allow you to be a real undead, like Jaethal was? In Kingmaker it was a bloodline option and even then only at lv. 20 did it really affect you. I'd guess being a Lich should be more permanent...

You can start as a vampire and get blasted by your cleric's channel positive energy

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arivia posted:

Valerie has exactly zero good political opinions so, I wouldn't sweat that much :v:

Her and Octavia both have TERRIBLE instincts for opposite reasons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jokes posted:

You can start as a vampire and get blasted by your cleric's channel positive energy

Dhampirs aren't vampires, but you do need to have particular healing in mind.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Companions with good political opinions in Kingmaker a complete list

Jubilost
Nok-Nok

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw how cool was it when Jubilost (wrath spoilers) shows up? my eyes bugged out because I loving know what that fucker is capable of, I am not yet maxed out and here he is in the open! with I assumed several level 20 fuckers in ambush

I rationalized my Lich going "yes sir, right away sir, you want me to move these trees, there you go sir" simply because he was no obstacle so it didn't matter to help or not

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Jubilost
Nok-Nok

Jaethal. Girl just wants to party all the time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chevy Slyme posted:

Jaethal. Girl just wants to party all the time.

Where does "consume your kids for immortality" fall on the political compass?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jubilost
Nok-Nok

so far all i know is that jubilost is kind of a stuck up jerk and a cook (i failed to save his wagon)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Warmachine posted:

Environmentalism through responsible population control?

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Jubilost
Nok-Nok

I do enjoy how owlcat seems to take particular glee with the “naive do-gooders will utterly destroy your kingdom” play. I am glad that entire side of things is significantly toned down in wotr.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

Wants to party all the time, for all time.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I liked my devil girl financier until she solved a labor dispute by murdering a labor organizer. Then I remembered, oh right, she’s evil.

E: I’m also still scratching my head intel chief “exterminate the evil other” Ekun going “blow up the assassin guild that’s been at secret war with us? Jeez boss - seems extreme.”.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 6, 2022

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

andromache posted:

I do enjoy how owlcat seems to take particular glee with the “naive do-gooders will utterly destroy your kingdom” play. I am glad that entire side of things is significantly toned down in wotr.

Wrath is kind of a celebration of them; you do actually have to be a little bit crazy to come to the worldwound.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

andromache posted:

I don't remember this, every advisor has a mix of good and bad recommendations (based on objective gameplay numbers go up standpoint) from what I remember. You could follow Tristan's do goodiness the whole time and come out ok from what I remember.

The evil advisors do use this framing a lot, but that's a thing in real life too and whether you fall for it or not seems entirely up to you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Regill always gives the objectively best Crusade advice, although the bonus is rarely what you want.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't remember this, every advisor has a mix of good and bad recommendations (based on objective gameplay numbers go up standpoint) from what I remember. You could follow Tristan's do goodiness the whole time and come out ok from what I remember.

The evil advisors do use this framing a lot, but that's a thing in real life too and whether you fall for it or not seems entirely up to you.

Octavia, Tristian, and Linzi (to a lesser extent) seemed to have a couple not obvious traps in the “do whatever you want to do” box. Yeah probably should have read stuff more closely but in my naive first play through I didn’t think those choices could tank your kingdom either. Mostly because I didn’t really enjoy the kingdom management stuff, it would be a thing I suffered through when I had to, so I could get back to the good stuff. Couldn’t ignore it though because gotta get those achievements.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Following Tristian's advice without qualification will get you a bad end. Not all of his advice is bad, but you don't want all of it.

Of the good aligned cast, Ekun is by far the most capable in his job, Linzi is alright, Tristian is less reliable, Octavia cannot be trusted to have ideas.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Regill always gives the objectively best Crusade advice, although the bonus is rarely what you want.

Wrong, he tells you to get shield guys for your frontline who are objectively loving terrible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also yeah almost all of Regill's ideas are loving awful in Wrath.

Which is consistent with the theme of Regill superficially being a HARD MAN MAKING HARD DECISIONS but, like most people who fancy themselves hard men making hard decisions, he's just here to jack himself off to a veneer of pragmatism.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Wrong, he tells you to get shield guys for your frontline who are objectively loving terrible.

In fairness to the shield guys, this is a game mechanics problem, not a problem with having heavy shield dudes standing in front of archers and mages as a battle tactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Also pretty much all the basic melee units are useless chaff that sit around while your mage general, marksmen, and cavalry actually do things so chunks of meat you can use to clog up routes to your backline are better than nothing. The only dumb thing Regill does is recommend shield bearers AND the cavalry tanks, like christ dude let up a little bit