Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Glass of Milk posted:

I really loved NWN but sort of hate BG-like games where there's a bunch of other people to worry about. I'm not sure why I'm enjoying Rest Simulator 2018/Pathfinder as much as I am. Other than the spider swarms.

After playing PoE for a while, this feels really refreshing and just more fun, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

caedwalla posted:

This game's balance feels incredibly hosed. I'm level six, cruising through a dungeon doing fine against all the traps/fights and then I get to the boss fight against a caster and fighter. The caster has 33 AC and machine guns Blind, Hold Person, and Magic Missile while the fighter attacks three or four times per round at +27 for 2d6+27-ish each. I'm not entirely sure how to approach the fight at this point.

I'm assuming you're talking the trolls? I have no idea how the gently caress I'd have done that not on Story. I'm level 7 and it was still extremely difficult when it's on Story mode.

JamMasterJim posted:

I learned to appreciate how simple the swarms are after the Wisps started coming out.

What's up with Wisps? I've had no issues killing them at all.

Datasmurf posted:

I feel it's only slow as long as it rains.

Maybe for those of us used to PoE's fast run it seems slow. It's definitely like molasses to me.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Taear posted:

I'm assuming you're talking the trolls? I have no idea how the gently caress I'd have done that not on Story. I'm level 7 and it was still extremely difficult when it's on Story mode.

What's up with Wisps? I've had no issues killing them at all.

Maybe for those of us used to PoE's fast run it seems slow. It's definitely like molasses to me.

On challenging, even with protection from energy, they can pile on damage on everyone quite fast and they are dodgy fuckers. They are nowhere near the worst encounter, but they drain a lot of spells.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, I just got an encounter on the road with a priest of Lamashtu, who cursed me when I didn't attack him outright . What exactly did that curse do?

Edit: Redoing that encounter, it might've just lowered my total XP at that point, but I'm not sure.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 1, 2018

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I beat that encounter on normal at level 6. Buff your party first. Haste, barkskin, bless, heroism etc etc. Dispel his haste if you can. Octavia was great for scorching Ray plus sneak damage.

Edit: boss, not road encounter.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On the topic of sneak damage, is there any reason not to just slap a level of rogue on every ranged character, so that they quality for sneak attacks?

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

SubNat posted:

On the topic of sneak damage, is there any reason not to just slap a level of rogue on every ranged character, so that they quality for sneak attacks?

One level dip in Alchemist Vivisectionist for sneak attack and Str/Dex mutagen is probably the way to break the game in half. Get Accomplished Sneak Attacker if you have feats for that too. Monk is also good for tanks to get easy Crane Style for massive AC increase in defensive mode. Don't forget 3 ranks in Mobility to kick that modal into overdrive.

Man am I having fun with this game. I can't even say why. It's clearly unfinished mess at the moment but it hits all the right buttons. Just the first dungeon under Old Sycamore has so much stuff going on. The only thing that I don't like is inability to run from combat. This is made for Iron Man and you really can't do that right now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Wouldn't a one level dip into whatever class of your choice that grants sneak attack only give you 1d6 sneak attack damage forever?

I mean, maybe still a worthwhile choice, but it's not like you get the multiple d6s of a higher level rogue or vivisectionist, so I don't know that I'd slap it on everyone.

Edit: I haven't had a chance to play Kingmaker specifically yet. Figured I'd let the first wave of patches finish up while I finished DQ11.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 1, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

SubNat posted:

1d6 is really good early, but pretty quickly falls off, especially on full casters.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Dilber posted:

I beat that encounter on normal at level 6. Buff your party first. Haste, barkskin, bless, heroism etc etc. Dispel his haste if you can. Octavia was great for scorching Ray plus sneak damage.

Edit: boss, not road encounter.

Taear posted:

I gave it another try on Normal and managed to barely win. My last attempts were pretty well buffed but I was down a few spells from previous fights so I trudged out of the dungeon to rest and came back with a full load of spells which ended up not mattering at all.

I buffed and went in throwing dispel magics to try and strip the haste off them, but only got a single cast off before being obliterated by the troll. What saved me was Ekun landed several 80-ish damage crits on the troll, killing it after it downed 4 of my party. He then proceeded to roll even more 20's on Tartuk while Octavia threw telekinetic fists and scorching rays. All in all the fight was stupid and bad and I only won because I was insanely lucky.

Edit: Unrelated question, is there a way to force your party to not eat rations from your pack, and instead hunt for all of them? It's incredibly irritating not being able to rest in a dungeon because your assholes ate all the food instead of hunting for it when they had the opportunity.

caedwalla fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 1, 2018

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

ugusername posted:

Man am I having fun with this game. I can't even say why. It's clearly unfinished mess at the moment but it hits all the right buttons. Just the first dungeon under Old Sycamore has so much stuff going on. The only thing that I don't like is inability to run from combat. This is made for Iron Man and you really can't do that right now.

This is weirdly accurate to my experience as well. I'm can't recommend it to people when they ask but I don't *want* to stop playing.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zodiac5000 posted:

This is weirdly accurate to my experience as well. I'm can't recommend it to people when they ask but I don't *want* to stop playing.

Ditto. There's something about the breadth of the customization that really appeals to me, although I truly have no idea why since I'll likely not play through the game more than once (and probably not even finish that playthrough). Also I really loved the Keep in NWN2, and building my own little kingdom is my number one most desired thing in RPG's and nothing has been as fun as NWN2 was. I haven't gotten there yet, but it looks loving cool from catching some streams.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Anyone beaten the candle puzzle in chapter 4 yet? I just want to get out of the abandoned keep and back to my kingdom.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

caedwalla posted:

Edit: Unrelated question, is there a way to force your party to not eat rations from your pack, and instead hunt for all of them? It's incredibly irritating not being able to rest in a dungeon because your assholes ate all the food instead of hunting for it when they had the opportunity.

As far as I can tell there's no way to do it. The stuff at the top of the rest bar (that dictates how long you need to rest before X happens) doesn't appear to have a hunting thing.
I can never ever rest in a dungeon because all my rations just get eaten because we only hunt up 1 ration each and every time.

Zodiac5000 posted:

It's a bit like Xenoblade for me. I don't like so much of it but my curiosity keeps me going because I want to see the cool stuff.
I do wish I could reroll so I could make something more interesting though. I didn't realise the "appearance change" for my pet at level 7 would actually mean "The pet gets absolutely loving enormous" but apparently that's it.
I think if I was playing with the combat on a normal level though I'd have quit ages ago. I just haven't got the patience to buff up and etc before the fight. I think I would do if the UI was a bit better and memorising spells/casting spells was a bit less poo poo, but eh.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 1, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yes, you can force your party not to eat rations. Go into Management in camp (but before you confirm your arrangements for camping) and change the "use rations" option to the other button. It'll force them to hunt instead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Yes, you can force your party not to eat rations. Go into Management in camp (but before you confirm your arrangements for camping) and change the "use rations" option to the other button. It'll force them to hunt instead.

That's amazing.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This game is really crying out for a “stuff I wish I’d known before I started” guide.

E: like, right now I desperately want to know where I can find a treasurer. But while I’m looking, there are trolls and spiders and wolves and poo poo, strolling around my barony and eating people, and I need to suppress them and explore new areas and build the town and everyone’s complaining and some rear end in a top hat priests have started a cult and banditry is up again and WHERE THE HELL IS THAT TREASURER?

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 1, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

On challenging, even with protection from energy, they can pile on damage on everyone quite fast and they are dodgy fuckers. They are nowhere near the worst encounter, but they drain a lot of spells.

I'm on challenging as well, I feared the caster and then summoned a horde of undead to let him try and chop through while Ekun and Octavia just dps'd him down, then the caster was cake.

I find there aren't many enemies that can deal with a horde of undead.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 1, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not sure if this was added in a patch, or I just missed it earlier, but you can buy Build Points from your capital's main merchant at a price of 80 gold apiece.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Beefeater1980 posted:

This game is really crying out for a “stuff I wish I’d known before I started” guide.

E: like, right now I desperately want to know where I can find a treasurer. But while I’m looking, there are trolls and spiders and wolves and poo poo, strolling around my barony and eating people, and I need to suppress them and explore new areas and build the town and everyone’s complaining and some rear end in a top hat priests have started a cult and banditry is up again and WHERE THE HELL IS THAT TREASURER?

I'm aware of three NPCs who can take the Treasurer role. However, two out of the three only become available while you are pursuing the Troll Trouble questline (one fairly quickly, the other a few more steps along the way), and from the limited spoilers I've stumbled into I'm pretty sure that the third is also only available after a main quest that occurs even further down the line. So you may be stuck without one for a while unless you focus the troll quest.

Agreed on the "poo poo I wish I'd known before I started" guide though. Speaking of which!

Apparently, if you want monsters that are close to the PnP baseline without the broken stat boosts, the Enemy Difficulty setting you actually want is "Weak", not "Normal". Definitely going to implement that when I play tonight and see if I feel better about it.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 1, 2018

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Prism posted:

Wouldn't a one level dip into whatever class of your choice that grants sneak attack only give you 1d6 sneak attack damage forever?

I mean, maybe still a worthwhile choice, but it's not like you get the multiple d6s of a higher level rogue or vivisectionist, so I don't know that I'd slap it on everyone.

Edit: I haven't had a chance to play Kingmaker specifically yet. Figured I'd let the first wave of patches finish up while I finished DQ11.

Yeah SA is mostly for early game but mutagen will always be useful due to the way stat bonuses stack. Alchemical bonus is unique and will stack with everything else while most of the spells, class abilities and equipment clash with each other in some way.

Probably should have mentioned that dips like that are good for straight martials since their progression is generally mediocre. Take fighter for example: bonus feat and something weirdly specific or 10 minute buff to armor and attack stat, d6 on damage and some casts of Enlarge Person.

E: main point against taking it on everyone is that it's boring. It's more fun learning the system and trying out something stupid. My Valerie is living the dream of making every mook in 30 ft radius poo poo their pants with Dazzling Display and it's actually working. Granted I am acquainted with the system and played with similar build in tabletop but ideas like that are already all over the place.

ugusername fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 1, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
This game is really rad, I wish it was, you know, not broken

e: Everyone seems to be comparing it to Deadfire for some reason and I think I liked that more but goddamn this is miles above Pillars 1 so imagine what they could do if they get to make a second game. It'll be amazing

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 1, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want a sequel based on a more interesting adventure path, like Reign of Winter or Iron Gods.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I dunno, the chapter 2 plotline of Alien chestbursters, but owlbears is pretty unique and interesting as far as I'm concerned. As much as I've been down on the evil DM that particular bit was something completely new for me.

Anyone else notice that after the boss fight in town the tavern gets a rather large new rug that wasn't there before?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Merrill Grinch posted:

I dunno, the chapter 2 plotline of Alien chestbursters, but owlbears is pretty unique and interesting as far as I'm concerned. As much as I've been down on the evil DM that particular bit was something completely new for me.

Anyone else notice that after the boss fight in town the tavern gets a rather large new rug that wasn't there before?

I think that is the third chapter

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Don't let Amiri solo it, all she'll do when you attack it is say 'hey I said I was gonna do it by myself' then when she lands a single hit she says 'OK I wounded it now come finish it off' and once you murder it she acts like she did it herself.

That's hilarious

Got my key issues sorted out, but from the sound of it I should hold off a little while until there've been more patches.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I think that is the third chapter

It's Chapter II, and I'm stuck at the very end of it. I am in the Other World, after I cleared out the Womb of Lamashtu and I am in an area with mist to my north, mist to my south and a door in the middle. The door leads to a room with an Enraged Primal Owlbear Treant and I already went in and killed it and looted the place, but there were no other exits.

If I go through the mist cloud to the north, it teleports me to the south one. If I go through the south one, it teleports me to the north one. Sometimes there is a hand icon in the middle hill, but I can't reach it from anywhere I put my characters, sometimes the hand icon isn't there (when I look at the map, there's a bag icon sometimes and it's not there other times and it doesn't seem dependent on which teleporter I used to get me to this same piece of map)

Did I find a game breaking bug?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't suppose anyone knows what weapon Amiri is using for the purpose of taking the weapon focus feet? I can't find large bastard sword, ginormous sword or oversized paddle in the list. :v:

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Isn't it just an oversized bastard sword?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Datasmurf posted:

Isn't it just an oversized bastard sword?

Correct. It just uses bastard sword prof.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. It's all fairly confusing to me.

I wish the fluff text for the different variants of the classes would clearly state the differences. For example you gain A and B but you lose C. It does it sometimes.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

deathbagel posted:

It's Chapter II, and I'm stuck at the very end of it. I am in the Other World, after I cleared out the Womb of Lamashtu and I am in an area with mist to my north, mist to my south and a door in the middle. The door leads to a room with an Enraged Primal Owlbear Treant and I already went in and killed it and looted the place, but there were no other exits.

If I go through the mist cloud to the north, it teleports me to the south one. If I go through the south one, it teleports me to the north one. Sometimes there is a hand icon in the middle hill, but I can't reach it from anywhere I put my characters, sometimes the hand icon isn't there (when I look at the map, there's a bag icon sometimes and it's not there other times and it doesn't seem dependent on which teleporter I used to get me to this same piece of map)

Did I find a game breaking bug?

There are two versions of that area I would shed more light on that.. but I think I'll leave you in darkness .. and I'll give you a hint. When it comes to avian creatures time does not heal all wounds, so you will have to give the creature of air the next best thing to a burial at sea.

(I had to guide dang it to figure it out.. hope the hints help you figure out what to do.. pm me if you want explicit spoilers)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Poil posted:

I wish the fluff text for the different variants of the classes would clearly state the differences. For example you gain A and B but you lose C. It does it sometimes.

I would kill for more clear marking of what feats lead to which future traits, because that poo poo always confuses me and I'm rusty as heck in 3.x and don't know where it differs from Pathfinder.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Poil posted:

Welcome to the hell that is 3.5 ed DnD style videogames. The bloodlines menu is almost there, if only it bothered to let you see what the bonus feats actually did.

And then you have weird dev houserules or stuff that flat out doesn't work. I'm just waiting for my Abyssal sorcerer to get added summoning and to find out it doesn't stack with superior summoning or some stupid poo poo like that because I know it's going to happen at some point

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

There are two versions of that area I would shed more light on that.. but I think I'll leave you in darkness .. and I'll give you a hint. When it comes to avian creatures time does not heal all wounds, so you will have to give the creature of air the next best thing to a burial at sea.

(I had to guide dang it to figure it out.. hope the hints help you figure out what to do.. pm me if you want explicit spoilers)

I did figure it out, thank you! The issue was, I had managed to get into that area and didn't have the lantern (not sure how I managed it) so apparently I was just stuck there forever due to that fact. I re-loaded an earlier save and managed to figure the rest out.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I would kill for more clear marking of what feats lead to which future traits, because that poo poo always confuses me and I'm rusty as heck in 3.x and don't know where it differs from Pathfinder.

Press the arrow on the bottom to show all options period for a selection menu, as the default option just shows ones you can currently take. Also, you can just hover over (or right click) on feats to see what their prerequisites are.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Any of y'all know where in the save file I can edit whether my kingdom is worried/rioting/chill etc? I kept getting troll attack cards even while my general was already dealing with a troll attack card and my kingdom has basically spiralled as a result, and i'm not that keen on restarting again.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I was just about to ask the same thing, I was having fun playing with my kingdom and then the trolls tanked my stability and now my kingdom is at death's door and if it comes to a choice between restarting, I'd just drop the game instead.

Like, for all the faults of other CRPGs you can usually expect the maps to be about acceptable to specific levels, but in this game there are certain fights that a non-Pathfinder fan like me just walks into. Oh, what's that, 3 Greater Enraged Owlbears, should be a fun fight oh they're 1-shotting my Level 6 party and gently caress what the gently caress is this.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

Any of y'all know where in the save file I can edit whether my kingdom is worried/rioting/chill etc? I kept getting troll attack cards even while my general was already dealing with a troll attack card and my kingdom has basically spiralled as a result, and i'm not that keen on restarting again.
Apparently the save files (in AppData Local?) are just zipped up JSON text files.

EDIT: Yeah they're in AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat\etc
Unzip the zks
I haven't reached kingdom yet, but I'm guessing stuff will probably be in the `Kingdom` variable area in player.json
You probably want to get a text editor that does auto formatting of JSON btw so things are actually intelligible

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

I want a sequel based on a more interesting adventure path, like Reign of Winter or Iron Gods.

I'm holding out for either Reign of Winter or Wrath of the Righteous. How they translate the swift/immediate action heavy Mythic rules to the video game I don't know, but WotR is perfectly suited for the format.