Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JamMasterJim posted:

The one that got universally trashed is Inevitable Excess cause it got the worst design elements of Owlcat dungeons and battle encounters amped to 11. Kingmaker's Varnhold's lot in comparison was appreciated a lot more.
Midnight isles standalone was liked, but not the main integration. Similar to Kingmaker's roguelike/

I've covered it before but I feel the main difference between Varholds Lot and Through the Ashes is exactly what they cover and what their inclusion brings to the story.

Varnhold's Lot shows you the perspective of a part of the Stolen Lands you know about, places you in the boots of NPCs you know (Varn especially) and expands upon events that you will encounter in the story. It adds to the story being told in Kingmaker, ending with a pretty chilling finale that enhances the overall threat of the games main villain and helping an already stand out (IMO) Act of Kingmaker be more Standout.

Through the Ashes, in comparison, places you in the boots of people you've never met, with the concept of the story being "see what's happening to Kenabres during the demon invasion from the side of civilians." The answer being: Everything is still on loving fire. The information learned from the story (That there's a demon attack building in the Tower of Estrod) is information you gain in the main campaign and are in fact informed to check out BEFORE the TTA plot collides. It concludes by introducing a villain with no connection to anything that's been going on and no connection to the main wrath campaign.

In short, Through the Ashes contributes nothing to the experience of playing Wrath of the Righteous, while Varnhold's lot contributes to the experience of playing Kingmaker. I have yet to purchase and play the 5th DLC because I am a broke bitch. But from what I can tell, it kinda is better than TTA but let down entirely by the ending which amounts to. Welp... time to get the Commander to go deal wtih this. It also involves you having to purposfully fail/gently caress up if you want the bonus boss to be difficult... which granted you may approve of if you don't like difficult PF fights (I certainly don't). But it is odd that if you want the true terror you gotta play badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Lords of nothing is also slightly better cause it's a midgame level campaign, where builds come together without the late game bullshit. Varnhodls lv 5-8 is also a pretty sweet spot.

Through the ashes also has an issue that it tries a puzzle like approach for avoiding battles or initiating them in a very specific way and discouraging you from normal combat with weapons that lower AB, and the engine+mechanics does not help with this kind of precise control very well. It's definitely better designed than the excess, but the game itself makes it harder to enjoy it. I can understand people getting frustrated.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JamMasterJim posted:

Lords of nothing is also slightly better cause it's a midgame level campaign, where builds come together without the late game bullshit. Varnhodls lv 5-8 is also a pretty sweet spot.

Through the ashes also has an issue that it tries a puzzle like approach for avoiding battles or initiating them in a very specific way and discouraging you from normal combat with weapons that lower AB, and the engine+mechanics does not help with this kind of precise control very well. It's definitely better designed than the excess, but the game itself makes it harder to enjoy it. I can understand people getting frustrated.

Yeah, that too. It also doesn't help that like... honestly I'm baffled how they expect you to navigate and avoid combat in TTA. Like I've seen the "traps" I'm meant to use and they're almost always after the enemies I have to fight and I see no reasonable way around them. It's also generally not fun because low level PF is already not fun, and this is that with additional nerfs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Through the Ashes wanted you to engage in 'stealth' for a huge part of the first few hours for a system that does not work for stealth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

As for Inevitable Excess, part of the issue is how pointless it all feels. You're Not even the Commander Interacting with a bunch of characters who are just now dropping into the plot. Rather than providing any new or interesting information like it said it would it kinda just goes Hey the commander's power is even biggerer which like... okay?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I still don't understand what the gently caress they were thinking with the DLC. Expanding on the good game that you made seems like both easier and obvious, than making a bunch of side-games.

At least they seem to have gotten the message when it comes to Rogue Trader.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack Trades posted:

I still don't understand what the gently caress they were thinking with the DLC. Expanding on the good game that you made seems like both easier and obvious, than making a bunch of side-games.

I figure that these were ideas that were left on the cutting room floor during design, and then picked up because they were still someone’s darling children.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

At least they seem to have gotten the message when it comes to Rogue Trader.

It seemed to be born from the idea of Game Big who will replay Big Game for New Content? Apparently we've learned nothing about people over the past few decades.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

It seemed to be born from the idea of Game Big who will replay Big Game for New Content? Apparently we've learned nothing about people over the past few decades.

The whole Mythic Path system seemingly goes against that idea.

Sewer-Cover
May 28, 2010
I think they are creative people and enjoy the opportunity to try more experimental things in the lower pressure enviroment of dlc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

When DLC 5 launched they did a stream about it During that stream they said

quote:

Namely, they viewed the DLC as "Ah this DLC is for the Endgame crowd, this DLC is for the Dungeon Crawler Crowd, this DLC is for the mini-adventure crowd."

Unfortunately they didn't upload stream highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQH0JmHkSFY

But this video might be helpful to understand too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I actually quite like having stand alone DLCs, since it means I can play them without needing to commit to another 40-60 hour playthrough of the whole game.

Through The Ashes was interesting to begin with since the whole "You need to scrounge to get even basic weapons and armor" is so different from the totally OTT scaling of the main campaign that it was a fun challenge. Like, instead of building around powerful items you know will drop and super mythic feats, you just just see what you can do with a barely equipped level 3 guy. It seemed to fall apart about halfway through though, where I started to feel I could comfortably equip everyone and do what I wanted.

I definitely agree that it could have tried much harder to tell a new story rather than showing you things you really already know from your main playthrough.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

40-60 hours?? It took me 130 to beat the game!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm itching to do my third playthrough once the last DLC drops.

Onmi posted:

When DLC 5 launched they did a stream about it During that stream they said

That makes sense, I suppose, but I'm still glad that for Rogue Trader they are exclusively using the DLC to expand the campaign instead.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

40-60 hours?? It took me 130 to beat the game!

It goes much faster on later attempts, especially if you switch crusade mode off! I think my record is ~45h, clearing most content with exclusion of half the companion side quests.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm about to transition into act 4 in my latest Lich game, clocking in at 34 hours thus far. This is of course my 4th full playthrough, and I'm playing on casual (like the casual I am). But I am making an effort to do most of the quests and read most of the dialogue.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I don't know how many of you play on a console, but there is now a native pd5 version of WoTR available, supposedly with improved performance, loading times etc. It's a free upgrade if you gave a ps4 version already. I didn't have the opportunity to compare the two yet, so maybe it doesn't change much.

The textures are a bit cleaner, and the loading times (compared to the ps4 version installed on the ps5's dusk directly) are a bit better, but the difference isn't great. Well, that is a step in the right direction in any event. The trophies from the ps4 version are triggered upon loading the save, and the ps4 version saves are read-only to the ps5 one; the ps4 version does not see the ps5 saves).

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 29, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh, right because the latest Brand Engagement Twitter thread reminded me, I really liked what I did in my last Kingmaker playthrough, which was I named each of the villages after party members.

Some of them are very nice, and smooth naming. Some of them are total memes like Regongaga or Noksville.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Onmi posted:

Oh, right because the latest Brand Engagement Twitter thread reminded me, I really liked what I did in my last Kingmaker playthrough, which was I named each of the villages after party members.

Some of them are very nice, and smooth naming. Some of them are total memes like Regongaga or Noksville.

Regongagrad surely

I always name my kingdom Stolandia, as it seems like the kind of name that the Stolen Lands would morph into given enough time.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 30, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zeniel posted:

Regongagrad surely

I always name my kingdom Stolandia, as it seems like the kind of name that the Stolen Lands would morph into given enough time.

So for a more serious name Regongrad would have been the choice. But I couldn't resist the Gongaga joke.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Casual is truly a do whatever you want anything works difficulty but this goddamn crystals and their goddamn subsonic hum will always be the bane of me.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I would love to know who decided that the second chapter should have save or gently caress you enemies. Shadow Demon Votaries just seem incredibly mean to drop when your will saving throws won't be particularly good at that point in time because they can stop your entire party dead in its tracks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Testekill posted:

I would love to know who decided that the second chapter should have save or gently caress you enemies. Shadow Demon Votaries just seem incredibly mean to drop when your will saving throws won't be particularly good at that point in time because they can stop your entire party dead in its tracks.

You know this stuff's always baffling to see because I don't recall ever struggling with things past Act 1, but at the same time, I now have so many hours of experience that yeah I'd be shocked if I did.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Testekill posted:

Votaries cheat they have quickened Phantasmal Web / Putrefecation somehow despite being like lvl 13. There have been many times where I’ll have Nenio sneak an preemptively grease them. Only for them to stand up fire off their CC spell and fall back over in the same turn.

Certain enemies seem to will themselves into standing just to fire off their save or suck spell.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There haven't been any ETA on when A Dance of Masks is coming out, right?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 31, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game has come a long way but I still think it will never be bug free. In my current game I've had the Sword of Valor buff since the start of Act 3 even when I shouldn't, like in Act 4 and 5, and everyone gets it so it's free healing all the time. And I intended to recruit Wendu in Act 5 but I exploded her at the start of Act 5 so when she appeared at the end of Lann's quest her bloody corpse talked to me from the ground and joined my party dead. "I grew stronger!" No lady you're level 2 equipped with just a mundane longbow. At least Act 5 is otherwise way more stable than when I did it the first time a couple years ago.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 1, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I swear something happened with the last patch because I got Wenduag in act 5 as well when I make it a point to end this quest in act 3 :argh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SettingSun posted:

The game has come a long way but I still think it will never be bug free. In my current game I've had the Sword of Valor buff since the start of Act 3 even when I shouldn't, like in Act 4 and 5, and everyone gets it so it's free healing all the time. And I intended to recruit Wendu in Act 5 but I exploded her at the start of Act 5 so when she appeared at the end of Lann's quest her bloody corpse talked to me from the ground and joined my party dead. "I grew stronger!" No lady you're level 2 equipped with just a mundane longbow. At least Act 5 is otherwise way more stable than when I did it the first time a couple years ago.

Lord the refusal to not level characters or NPCs is hilarious. Like yeah the Wenduag thing is funny but then you go to the actual final battle at Threshold And Anevia is still level 4.

Also in modding news: Expanded Content has now added mountable drake pets, Mythic Magic Mayhem's working on its Aeon adjustments.

Black Noise posted:

I swear something happened with the last patch because I got Wenduag in act 5 as well when I make it a point to end this quest in act 3 :argh:

Honestly I also don't really feel the 'recruit both' reward is worthwhile because it's end-game and like... you don't get any plot with them?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I tried the both path in my first abandoned run and she still sucks so that’s why I was shocked for her to show up in Act 5 Drezen. I make it a point to avenge Drya.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This is my first Lich run and while I knew Seelah bails when you commit but after Iz you can slaughter everyone you rescue, including Sosiel and his brother. And several other people who shouldn't be there, like Miammir whose quest I didn't do, and someone called Nystra whom I've never met. Still dark as hell.

Still kinda weird the game has to square the circle of every important NPC still being human, like the vendors and all the council heads.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Do Feats that affect unarmed attacks also affect natural weapons? Either natural weapons from Race feats or Rage powers, or from shapeshifting?

I'm wondering if Pummeling Style of Dragon style would be good on a Druid.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Servetus posted:

Do Feats that affect unarmed attacks also affect natural weapons? Either natural weapons from Race feats or Rage powers, or from shapeshifting?

I'm wondering if Pummeling Style of Dragon style would be good on a Druid.

Nope. Unarmed attacks are categorically not natural weapons and vice versa.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Onmi posted:

Lord the refusal to not level characters or NPCs is hilarious. Like yeah the Wenduag thing is funny but then you go to the actual final battle at Threshold And Anevia is still level 4.

Also in modding news: Expanded Content has now added mountable drake pets, Mythic Magic Mayhem's working on its Aeon adjustments.

Honestly I also don't really feel the 'recruit both' reward is worthwhile because it's end-game and like... you don't get any plot with them?

I hope they're better than the PnP version, because oh boy was the Drake Companion line of feats/companions utterly terrible. Honestly a tossup whether that or the Monstrous Mount line is worse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

I hope they're better than the PnP version, because oh boy was the Drake Companion line of feats/companions utterly terrible. Honestly a tossup whether that or the Monstrous Mount line is worse.

It's a toss up, but Bitter's a good dude. I remember in a previous version running Clutch Thief Woljiff, because I named his bronze drake "Zapyu".

I regret nothing and have done nothing wrong.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Playing WotR on my ps4 and having a pretty good time as the premade evil cavalier half elf lady

Still tryna wrap my head around this daily use spells

Is there any way to retrain my horse companion

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think if you respec your character, it retrains your companion along with it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh cool I'll check that out when I get off work

Defended the Tavern last night goddamn that took forever

Parked Seelah by the broken doors with Ember and Camilla. Seelah held off like 15 dudes after it was all said and done goddamn she rules

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What does my Cavalier's Tactician Feat do? It doesn't say anything I can discern just that all my allies in a 30ft radius benefit from it when I use it

e: oh it gives them my Precise Strike feat

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 9, 2024

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

verbal enema posted:

What does my Cavalier's Tactician Feat do? It doesn't say anything I can discern just that all my allies in a 30ft radius benefit from it when I use it

e: oh it gives them my Precise Strike feat

More accurately, Tactician grants you at bonus Teamwork Feat, and when activated, gives that Teamwork feat to nearby allies, so you could use it with any Teamwork Feat you want, as long as you use the Tactician slot to take it. Precise Strike is one of the better choices for that, though, so no worries there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm still in Kanabres but I'm getting a lot of "Requires X Mystic Path" choices and despite being a Demon rear end in a top hat I can still choose the non Demon ones

Does that ever change?