Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I made a party of 6 custom characters right after I got to Oleg's and then cheated them all to level 3 and with all the difficulty settings on Normal, the challenge feels about right throughout all of chapter 1.

Wizard/Ecclesitheurge/Druid/Sensei/Chirurgeon/Stormwalker

Things are going pretty well :shrug:

edit: Also for what it's worth even without a party like this, being/having an Alchemist trivializes most things at least in Chapter 1

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

malhavok posted:

What are you using to edit the save files?

I use Cheat Engine with this table:
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7964

There's also this save editor from the beta which I haven't tried:
https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://github.com/ericfitzgerald/KingmakerCharacterEditor/releases

I haven't tested any of the options besides experience, gold, and attributes (I'd rather roll my own stats instead of point buy) but all three of those worked just fine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm lingering at the beginning of chapter three. I hate pretty much every single companion so far, except Ekun. Him I like. Either way, I think I'm going to roll my own party. Any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning

Monk/Pal/Sorc/Dragon Disciple (my main dude)
Monster Tactician Inquisitor, with nature domain for bonus pet
Wizard Arcane trickster, might keep Octavia, might also not
Druid, because you don't get access to a lot of spells if you don't have one
Grenadier Alchemist
Arcane Archer magus
Nature domain cleric for maximum pets and heals. Not sure what other domains would be good. Also might make this a crusader? Maybe a herald caller for even more summons?

That's seven characters so I have to dump one. Which is the most boring of the above? Are there any really cool classes or combos that would be more fun than what I've got listed?

I fully believe in the power of the Alchemist but it's honestly a really boring class. It's great to have one early on to bomb your way through tough encounters like the bug swarms at fangberry cave and stuff like that but past the early game you're just a weak druid with an infinite supply of really strong bombs, and you pretty much sit there and toss bomb after bomb after bomb. Whether you like that or not is up to you. Vivisectionist might be more fun to play but I haven't tried it. Power-wise my chirurgeon or whatever is a solid party healer that can bomb his way through enemy immunities.

Also FYI for anyone who isn't opposed to cheating, there's a way to pretty much reroll Companions as 100% custom characters and from what I can tell they still participate in the story as if they were the companion. I've done about an hour of testing with one character (the orc guy who comes with Octavia whose name I can't even remember because I did this to him):

Set all of their attributes to 10
Set their class levels to 0
Set their character level to 0
Enter the levelup screen

It has you roll a brand new character, starting with the portrait. You choose their classes, assign attributes, name them, choose a voice - everything you did for your main PC. When you're finished leveling them up, that custom character takes the place of the companion. Dialog from the companion is shown attributed to the name and portrait you chose. Companion names are hard-coded into dialog so it will still refer to them by their original name. You cannot choose the companion's original portrait from character generation. I'm not aware of a way to do that successfully but you might be able to get it to work by fudging the class levels and experience around, then leveling them up with 0 class levels, selecting a class, setting your character level back to 1 and leveling normally. It's specifically character level 0 that triggers character generation.

You can find a cheat table that can do all of this in CheatEngine in my last post. I don't vouch for the safety of random files downloaded from the internet but :shrug: It works for me https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/e29b8efb7fe7d291af8dca65a9bc9d29f7b312a47251d2fc940e2488d57f4f4a/detection

deep dish peat moss posted:

I use Cheat Engine with this table:
http://fearlessrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7964

There's also this save editor from the beta which I haven't tried:
https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://github.com/ericfitzgerald/KingmakerCharacterEditor/releases

I haven't tested any of the options besides experience, gold, and attributes (I'd rather roll my own stats instead of point buy) but all three of those worked just fine.

edit: I have no idea what the long-term effects of this are so back up your save!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 17, 2018

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know what I'm missing with the difficulty in this game but I don't understand the complaints that it's hard?

After doing Chapter 1 and half of Chapter 2 on Normal with a party of 6 custom characters I had cheated to level 3 at the beginning, I restarted using vanilla companions and no level cheating because it was way too easy. I just cleared out the undead cyclops cave on Hard with 100% party damage and I'm still finding the game super easy?

Longsword + Shield paladin PC has been sitting at 30+ unbuffed AC since... early in Act 1, whenever I first found a Full Plate +1 and for anything remotely hard I can stack a bunch of defensive buffs on him and march right in to literally whatever and worst case scenario is I might need to lay on hands once or twice. Also he rarely misses and most of his attacks either instagib things or they go down in two hits. Amiri does most of my damage probably and is just generally running around gibbing things in a single swing and rarely missing. Tristian + Octavia + Regongar for basically purely buffing then doing minor attacks, then I've been cycling the 6th spot out but can't find anyone worth sticking with because Paladin + Amiri could duo the entire game with buffs from other companions. Right now I'm using Ekundayo because he's the only one who can really hope to get an attack off before Paladin + Amiri mop up.

My fight against the Stag lord included casting buffs, walking right in, letting the first group of bandits set off the alarm, then walking from camp to camp blowing them away. Then I sent Amiri up the steps toward the Stag Lord and everyone else toward the big group of named enemies at the door, all of the named enemies were dead before Amiri made it up the steps and then she killed the Stag Lord before anyone else could reach him.

The Troll King fight had my paladin tanking the troll king effortlessly for a few rounds while my party focused down you-know-who and then the troll king himself for like 10 or so rounds? I think my paladin got hit once, maybe twice.

The only thing I've had to save-scum are some skill checks but that was cut down significantly once I remembered that this game has ways to buff skill checks too and not just combat skills.

You can cheese most of the combat the same way you can in PoE2: enemies almost never switch targets so if you build one super tank, send them in for 3 seconds before sending everyone else in it's almost the equivalent of playing with god-mode on. It's maybe easier than PoE2 actually because the power of defensive spells lets you turn multiple characters into super tanks :shrug:

edit: Also I mean this is all just buffing and then autoattacking. I'm rarely using any CC spells or any non-buff spells except Dispel and I don't think I've used a single consumable item all game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 21, 2018

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Eox posted:

I got about 36 floors deep before my three-man party got its rear end kicked, the variety starts to kick in around 15-20 and even the kobolds and goblins before then start getting fancy templates real early on.

My next run offered 30k experience to start off, but since I applied that before I could hire mercenaries I had to solo about 12 floors before I died, levelling up too fast for my income to keep up even selling everything I found. I died alone and started a new run with +2 to saves.

The early slog is made tolerable by the constant shower of XP allowing you to prepare for the floors full of mud golems, frost giants and athachs.

I didn't make it super far on my playthrough but it was kind of underwhelming how each floor after the second just had an elemental template that put a particle effect on the floor in every room and made all of the enemies spam an elemental attack. Does that ever change? Like, I did a fire floor full of fire skeletons that used Fire Snake in place of regular attacks, and an Acid floor that was full of kobolds that used Acid Splash. All in all I'm not very impressed but I really love the concept of a RTwP party-based roguelike with meta progression so I'm going to stick with it for a while and see what happens.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played over 100 hours of this game back around launch but kept restarting and never went past act 3. I want to give it another shot now - am I assuming correctly that since this game is so enormous I should be fine rolling with a party of 6 custom characters and not have to worry about missing out on significant amounts of content through companion quests and stuff?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My main character in the WotR beta is a Dhampyr Dual-Bloodline Sorceror with Undead and Celestial bloodlines, it has been a real neat facilitator of lots of actual legitimate role-playing with the story and thinking in terms of what my character wants instead of just powergaming everything and everything about the way the story plays out fits in very thematically with my character. Game is good! Even better than I was hoping so far.

Edit: I am also really loving the huge variety of classes and races now. One of my hired mercenaries is a kitsune incense synthesizer who just hangs out burning incense to ward off demons then throws grenades

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Frankly I don't know why everyone is debating what mythic feats to take when this one exists

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I want to say this will be changed by the time Beta is over but knowing pathfinder and owlcat probably not;

The Trickster mythic path has a power that makes you find a random powerful magical item every time you rest. Not every time you camp, or every X days... every time you rest. It comes late in the Trickster line but there's a weaker version of it at lower levels.

You can just sit in town safely resting day after day to stock up on things like...
Gloves of +6 Charisma that let you cast Greater Heroism 3x/day
+4 Dragonbane Greataxe that lets you cast Dragonkind III 1x/day
+4 Adamantine Banded Mail
Cloak of Resistance +6
+4 Full Plate that gives you several energy resists and lets you cast Searing Light 1x/day
+4 Bastard Sword that also gives +4 Persuasion, DR 5/Piercing, +8 saving throws against mind altering effects, and an on-hit poison with DC17 fortitude save that deals 1d2 Wisdom damage per round
+8 Belt of Physical Perfection

Oh, yeah - also Trickster has other abilities that do things like add +1 of the enhancement level of any magic items you identify, and adding additional bonus properties (like [X] Bane or elemental effects) to any magic item you identify - and that applies to any weapons or body armor found via the above-mentioned skill too.

It's also infinite gold generation since these things sell to vendors for 10-50k each

To sweeten the deal even further, it (the same power) also gives you a random high level spell scroll every time you rest, and a potion, and if you are camping, a free meal.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 16, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

pentyne posted:

Without spoilers (I already know about magical amulets and hidden alignments but not specifics) what are the opinions of the WotR party members so far? I'm sure the companion Mythic Paths will added a lot more flexibility to them but are they kind of designed in the same sub-optimal way as KM?

And, aside from Lich and Swarm, are certain companions just not willing to stay in your party if you go too evil/good?

Kingmaker's companions all felt like caricatures of Saturday Morning Cartoon characters and I've been very pleased that WotR's companions don't. It's impossible to know how they develop or play out because that stuff just isn't really in the game yet but personality-wise they were all welcome in my party. The only complaints I have are that they're a little trope-y and that there's a character with a hidden alignment like you mentioned, but their VA's battle shout lines really betray the surprise and give away their alignment (which could totally change later on, there's still a lot of placeholder stuff). Build-wise, I didn't pay that close attention, their builds are not ideally min/maxed but no one struck out as especially bad to me and they're generally strong stat distributions that assume you're creating an actual real person of a character and not a powergamed murderhobo (e.g. they all have too much charisma for min/maxing but :shrug: )

The cleric is 16/10/14/10/16/14
The wizard is 7/17/12/18/9/13
The Zen Archer is 15/15/12/11/17/11
The Spirit Hunter is 11/17/14/10/16/13
The Eldritch Scoundrel is 10/18/13/16/10/12
The Paladin is 16/13/14/10/13/15

You can freely respec anything about them including their starting stats (I think? The respec function broke in my save so I can't check, I use a mod to respec now but I'm not sure if it follows the same rules). Respecs take them back to level 1 and let you pick all of their feats, spells, etc.

They regularly interject with their feelings on whatever topics before you make a decision but I don't remember a single instance of them reacting to my good/evil choices, mostly they're just pleased that you get the job done. Actually in a lot of cases, asking them for their input is optional. This is definitely a game about the player character and everyone else is an explicit bit part.

(I think I played all of the content available but I'm not sure, my save may have bugged out. The door to proceed at the end of chapter 3 doesn't take me anywhere.)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 18, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm sure there was at least one necromancer who did all the horrible poo poo to become a lich and then, you know, felt really bad about it and tried to do some good deeds.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

Looks like Second Mystery is implemented in Wrath now, so you can be a nature oracle with a wolf companion and take battle mystery to be 90% fighter on top of being a 9th level caster with a pet without a single level dip. Sounds legit

I don't know how this works but it sounds fun combined with the Trickster MP that removes requirements for all feats for your entire party. Add in wolf-scarred face as your oracle curse for some natural weapon attacks :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 17, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

No same world a few years later but no plot continuation. I think the Storyteller elf will be the only returning character.

There are a few very minor references/cameos/mentions of characters from Kingmaker, like for example there are a few quests involving a Jannah Aldori, presumably a relative of Jamandi Aldori but they're just the kind of thing you nod at and go "heh" instead of something that will enrich the game based on your having played Kingmaker

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Beta 2 was shaping up to be one of the best CRPGs I've ever played, but Beta 3 is indeed so buggy that it's virtually unplayable. Like for example, clicking the Nature mystery as an oracle will completely break the levelup interface and make it impossible to create/level up that character. I have no idea how they'll have that all fixed by next month seeing as it's been like this for over a week without any small patches :v: I'm assuming they're saving all the fixes for actual release but this has gotta get in the way of them getting valuable feedback

But this is also the state that Kingmaker launched in, it took a year or two of patches for it to be great.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My favorite part of the WotR beta is all the Mitch Hedberg jokes you get to tell

"Not here, but somewhere."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Honestly the most fun I had with Kingmaker was when I used the bug to get the discounted mercs at 1st level and made a full party of all my own characters, subbing in the official companions only when I needed to do their companion quests. I'm hoping, but not overly optimistic, that I'll be able to pull the same thing in WotR.

To be fair, though, I'd played the game several times by the time I did that, so I didn't miss on any of the companion dialogs. So I probably wouldn't do that on my first playthrough of Wrath. But after that...

At least as of Beta 2 you can easily do that after the prologue which is fairly long (two small dungeons and one big dungeon), it was even affordable to do right from the moment it's available. I tried to at first but I ended up using the companions instead because you get free respecs at the start that can even change their level attributes and 1 class (or could... in beta 2) and I didn't find any of them insufferable

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Agnostalgia posted:

Lann's a lame nerd with no spider legs, so that one is easy.

1) Lann makes fun of and cracks jokes at the expense of everyone on the surface constantly, meanwhile Wenduag is an edgelord who reads their Livejournal posts about how terrible surface dwellers are (idk if this keeps up through the whole game I never used them past act 1)
2) Wenduag is a giant spider dork who outright tells you in in the shield maze that they will betray you the moment it suits their needs

Lann is the superior choice.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played a bowling earth kineticist once and it was laughably strong but also very boring, are they a more fun class if I want to wing it and just make a team of various element themed superheroes or something instead of min/maxing trip to fight prone enemies all day?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dumb question but as a backer where do I get my steam key for the game?

edit: Nevermind, found it by logging in at https://wrath.owlcatgames.com/preorder/en

edit: My trip report from ~60 hours spent with the beta is that if the rest of the game holds up to the same quality as chapters 1-4 this is going to be the best CRPG ever made (for roleplaying/gameplay/mechanical purposes, maybe not story-wise)

evilmiera posted:

Ok so this game does a story thing that the first also did but it's about twice as annoying here.

Hello lady who wears a skull/snake necklace that I found standing above a recently murdered corpse, who I can't seem to see the alignment of, and who makes deals with obviously corrupt merchants. Oh, you're just going to join my crew and I can't call you out on anything at all or even make the choice I want to not make deals with that merchant? Cool.

At least in the last game you could partially outmaneuver the bad guy doing a similar thing. I have no idea if the same is true here.

In WotR evil and 'bad guy' are not synonymous (and neither are good and 'good guy'), give 'em a chance :) The conflict is rather nuanced in ways that aren't just generic alignment vs alignment stuff. Personal alignment and a person's mannerisms being completely detached from what side of the conflict they're on is a central theme of the game and you'll get plenty of opportunities to discuss it with them in-depth and outmaneuver them later if you want.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do none of the people in the Defender’s Heart have money to buy stuff or what

I have so much goddamn looooot

There's a vendor that can buy everything in the exterior portion

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here are some tips based on my time in the beta
When you get to Defender's Heart go to the basement and talk to the prisoner
Always carry sources of Restoration, and reagents for Restoration spells (DON'T vendor your Diamond Dust!!)
There's a Unique sword in the Shield Maze (very first dungeon) that has some plot/character importance later on, you'll know you've found it because of a dialog sequence when you do
That unique sword is found behind the puzzle with four glowing gems on the wall. If you want the solution to the puzzle spoiled it is Yellow, Blue, Red, Yellow
If you respec your characters after gaining Mythic Path levels, do not change to a different Mythic Path. There should still be a warning on the respec screen urging you not to - the option is available anyway but it broke several unexpected things every time I tried it in the beta
The following classes are covered by companions that are available to everyone: spirit shaman, paladin, stigmatized witch, zen archer, eldritch scoundrel, espionage expert (ranger), cleric, oracle, hell knight, scroll savant, slayer.

Helion posted:

I now have 4 guys shooting bows behind 2 frontline fighters. Is anyone else in this kinda odd situation? Also, I hope my bard is able to sing for longer soon, without singing she doesn't contribute a ton.

There will be some fights later on where you fight in more open areas with larger swarms of enemies where you might run into some trouble with this, so you'll probably want summons or animal companions or someone who can toss on a shield and hold someone off, etc. to call on in those moments. For the most part 2 front-liners should work well in this game though, that's about the right amount for holding most of chokepoints.

Atopian posted:

Question:
Can anyone recommend a sturdy front-liner merc build with an animal companion?
I know that there aren't really tanks in Pathfinder, but still something that can take a beating.

Try out an Oracle. There are two important Mysteries for what you're wanting to do: Nature, which gives you an animal companion and nature spells, and Battle, which makes you a sturdy front-liner. You can take one right at the start and pick up the other through Mythic Path levels later on. I went with Nature first since Oracle can already wear medium armor and do fine in the early-game front-line without Battle. This should be an absurdly OP character though; animal companion, almost as good at front-line duties as a fighter, and spontaneous divine spellcasting up to spell level 9.
(You can even add on the Wolf-Scarred Face curse to get some free Natural attacks)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can toggle between turn-based and RTwP at any time by pressing T :D Both of the Owlcat pathfinder games really do have the best turn-based implementation I've seen and they both make it very easy to just swap between the two so you can speed through the trash fights and switch to turn-based whenever something important shows up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zurai posted:

Nope. I'm running See Invisible on Wotjif. Nobody home.

It sounds like you may be running into something else, but for what it's worth you can generally re-attempt perception checks by visiting again with higher perception. So you can eat a Hearty Meal for example which gives +1 to all skill checks and re-visit for another chance at passing the check. (I'm pretty sure this is what triggers it anyway, you can definitely re-roll perception checks by visiting in the future)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zotix posted:

When/ How can I get a companion that's a blank slate and not a story companion?

As soon as you reach Defender's Heart. After the shield maze you do a short segment with 3-4 fights and then you'll be in Defender's Heart. One of the NPCs near Irabeth there will let you recruit custom companions. It costs gold based on your level and will probably be 2000gp each when you first reach it (You'll have ~5-6k at that point if you've ignored all the armor and non-masterwork weapons)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Helion posted:

I don't know what to tell you, I rest when I'm beat up. I dunno.

One thing that the game really does not telegraph well is that the "rest for recommended amount of time" option, which is enabled by default on the rest screen, is generally a bad idea. You never want to rest for more than 8 hours. The only benefit (as far as I know) is more HP restored but you should never rely on resting for HP, that's what potions and healing spells are for, and resting for 8 hours restores those healing spells.

edit from the future: To correct myself, you want to rest for the shortest available rest period. I think in this game that's 24 hours - the first of the 3 available options. Resting for the "recommended" time will rest for the amount of time you would need to rest to restore all HP without healing spells, even if you have the option to use healing spells upon rest enabled.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think there are other time-pressure events like that, so you could drop the difficulty down to get through that fight and then set it back to whatever you prefer and be fine. The lowest difficulty should let you clown on even enemies way above your level

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Comstar posted:

Thank you for this!

Goddammit. I picked espionage expert (ranger) because it sounded cool. Time to spend another 2 hours choosing a character because I hate the idea that the NPC is going to be a better class than I am. Is he a ranged or close combat character?

Edit- I found her. Goddammit those stats are insane.

Arueshalae Abilities Score

The values of the different abilities below are based off Companion Level 1:

Strength: 13
Dexterity: 22
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 21

Not sure why the world needs PC's when you have people like THAT walking around.

For what it's worth, she only shows up fairly late into the game unless you choose a specific mythic path. She most likely doesn't show up as level 1, so I'm guessing those stats include at least a few points from leveling up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's not quite what it sounds like. There are two different things:

Every time you rest outside of a safe area you gain Corruption, which can be mitigated with skill checks while resting. When corruption reaches certain milestones, it gives your characters some pretty gnarly debuffs, but resting in a safe area always removes corruption.

There's also a moderately difficult battle that happens after a set amount of time has passed from the start of the game, but it shouldn't come at an awkward time unless you're resting after like every single fight

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just did the Tavern Defense quest entirely in turn-based and oh my god that was awful. In the beta I did it in real-time because I was over-leveled and the entire thing was like 3 minutes long, but in turn-based that's literally a 60+ minute fight and none of it is interesting or even particularly challenging, the enemies never stop spawning. It was 3-5 more spawns every turn/every other turn :barf:

Strongly recommend just breezing through it in realtime and turning down the difficulty if you're not strong enough

So much blood...

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Helion posted:

I don't know how to do the tavern fight. Does anyone have any advice they can give? Part of the problem is that my guys get themselves killed in real time mode, but turn based takes so long as to be unpleasant.

I encourage just dropping it down to Story difficulty and bowling through it in real time. It's sooooo drat long on turn based even if you focus the alchemists and there's nothing challenging about the fight (in turn based) other than the attrition of boredom, there's only two enemies that are anything more than a popcorn cultist mook. It took me a full 60 minutes to go through it all in turn based this morning and it was a slog

But as far as how to do it; just park half your party on the stairs to the roof and the other half your party at the gate and gib everything the turn it spawns. Bonus points for Irabeth and her crew not leaving their starting spot and therefore not spending long on their turns because they just pass every turn (and it still took 60 minutes :cry:)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lann owns all he does is riff on everyone else constantly because he knows he is strong enough to carry this crusade on his back. Wenduag was the VA I couldn't stand personally :kiddo: They sound like an elderly person doing a christian bale batman growl

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I could deal with Wenduag being eager to backstab me and take my place but they lost all respect for me with the locked door in Shield Maze where They tell you that this door has some treasure in it, but that the lock is impossible to pick... luckily they've managed to snag the key or something. gently caress you Wenduag that door is an easy as poo poo Trickery check stop pretending to be more useful than you are :argh:

Zurai posted:

I've seen advice saying to send Lann down the shortbow route if you plan to have any other archers in the party. There are no good composite shortbows at the start of the game, but there are supposed to be some later on, and one of the characters you pick up later is a longbow archer.

It's worth making Finnean into a Composite whateverbow for Lann imo. Composite, +1, Ghosttouch and Cold Iron shortbow is more than enough to make him an early game powerhouse and he's (probably) the only person in your party that can consistently get multiple attacks off every turn, unless you're explicitly building another archer.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 3, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I watched my friend spend 3 hours trying and retrying the tavern fight on Core, while I blasted through it in 5 minutes on Normal rtwp. Normal has been easy all around so far.

Found a fun bug in one of the Kanaberes basements. Trying to interact with some rubble blocking a path caused a shadow demon to deal damage to me. I could spam the button and spill my blood all over the floor but I didn't die nor was the rubble cleared.

That's not a bug :ssh: Go back with See Invisible turned on. There are allegedly a couple other solutions too but they never worked for me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Speaking of natural attacks; do multiple sources of the same type of natural attack stack? For example if my Oracle has Wolf-Scarred Face and gets a bite attack from that and I have a Skald give them Beast Totem or something that adds a Bite Attack

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A lot of the bugs I've seen people mentioning are similar to things I ran into when respeccing and changing classes in the beta. I could never pinpoint what exactly it was but I respecced every single character a lot in the beta and I had constant problems with class features breaking or getting stuck on the levelup screen.

In the launch version I have not respecced at all and have not run into any issues like that. I could be wrong but changing class during a respec may make things weird.

Something I noticed in the beta was that if I respecced my MC and changed classes, that respec would apply to every save file of that character, irreversibly. So, play half the game as a paladin -> respec to witch -> save the game -> ALL of your save files are a Witch, and in older saves the character would be in weirdly broken states. Not sure if that happens in the full release though, it just always felt like there was something wonky about respecs in beta.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm running a cheaty-feeling Hex Channeler witch in my party that has Slumber and nothing but cc and utility spells, channel energy is great as filler for a build like this and lets the character actually remain useful when they're not actively slumbering/CCing things. Between all the CC and the channel healing I haven't needed an actual healer yet but I'm not super far. After taking Slumber you can pretty much just ignore the rest of the Hexes and buff your channeling with most new levels

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 4, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone have experience with Alchemist -> Incense Synthesizer? I tried it in beta but didn't get very far because no tooltips for it were implemented. I can't tell even now - does the incense fog effect ever get stronger than the +1 bonus it starts with?
Mutagen owns but it doesn't seem like a huge loss if you replace it with a party-wide +attack/damage rolls buff considering you still get to keep bombs.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 4, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Goofballs posted:

I don't know any of the lore, I'm an ape responding to the game. But saying yeah kill me because it will make you feel better is out there.

I could be 100% wrong because I never talked to her in the tavern or anything but I've always assumed that she knew that Soot would kill them the second they laid a hand on her. If you solve it without killing anyone she even says something like "Wow, I didn't think we would make it through that without anyone dying" which maybe I misinterpreted but I take that as her going "Wow I expected to kill them but you settled it with words that's amazing"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vargs posted:

Is there any way to dispel ground effects after a battle, or is this game only 90+ hours because you spend 40 of them waiting for Seelah to succeed at her reflex save vs grease?

There's a level 1 spell called Dismiss Magic or Dismiss Spell or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

I am brand new to Pathfinder, and excited to give it a go, but getting a bit paralyzed at character creation.

Are there any classes that are good/fun for new people, or to avoid (either when new or because they suck and/or are boring, or because of companion composition). I just don't want to get halfway through a run and find out my choice was terrible.

I know it's loaded and based on a lot of personal preferences, but curious what other people might suggest. I'm down for any alignment, as long as it's fun.

It depends how familiar you are with D&D. The worst classes aren't "bad", they just don't have the OP toolsets that other classes have. Pathfinder has a million different classes that mostly just combine the features of regular, familiar classes in new combinations.

Someone several dozen pages ago recommended an Oracle with Nature and Battle mysteries and that's what I went with. I can't remember the exact attributes I went with but it was something like 16/14/16/10/10/16. Oracle with the Wolf-Scarred Face curse (gives you natural attacks), pick Nature as your Mystery (gives you an Animal Companion, which are very strong, and nature spells), then as soon as you can take a second Mystery from mythic levels do it and choose Battle to severely beef up your fighter-y side. At the end of the day you end up as a spontaneous divine spellcaster with level 9 spells, an animal companion, and martial skills nearly as good as a fighter. A jack of all trades except you do all of them almost as well as (or better than) the dedicated classes.

edit: Re: Crusade stuff, I still haven't got to it in the full release but in the beta there were a lot of battles that seemed like they were meant to be skipped and fought later, there was a path to Drezen that was much easier than all the surrounding stuff.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 4, 2021