Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
In wholly unrelated news: fie, the link to one particular file/app in the extant guide for how to create custom player-character voice banks is now invalid and so I can't find all the tools I need to do so. :smith:

Is there an updated guide for creating custom player voices anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Yes, absolutely pick up the turn-based mod, and also don't be afraid to restart once or twice to get a feel for a character you really like.

As a note, the classes you don't get a party member for are Druid, Monk, Slayer (since it wasn't in at launch) and Paladin, if you want to be a unique snowflake among your party (and some of those classes have archetypes that will let you be a real unique snowflake).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Koorisch posted:

Another place you can get hurt badly is the Tranquil River Bend that is full of Boggarts, those guys hit like mack trucks in the early game and their boss is around level 14 and hits like a truckasaurus instead.

Of course, if you're a savvy player you'll use stuff like Grease to great effect in that place since those guys doesn't seem to be able to not slip on it :v:

At least it's a good place to get rings of protection and cloaks of resistance for your guys early.

(With the turn-based mod on)

If you know The Grease Magic, yeah, Tranquil River Bend is a fantastic place to get EXP and fat stacks of cash. I wouldn't go there before level 3 (and that boss is a pain in the rear end no matter how you slice it), but their reflex saves are not that high for some reason and you can sell all those masterwork weapons for a ton of money and the +2 Greatclub turns Jaethal into a beast.

Also for the spider cave: it's worth pointing out the quest itself can be completed without fighting any swarms. But yes, it is a rough first draft of a 'swarm tutorial' area that if anything just drives people away.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I do want to chime in and say that, while the reason they gave in the AMA makes sense (Summoner would require a lot of unique UI and modeling resources to implement true-to-paper compared to nearly any other class), it does weird me out a little that Summoner is now the one sole base class missing in the game from the Advanced Player's Guide. Getting stuff like Warpriest, Arcanist and Skald ahead of one of the first and most unique classes implemented in Pathfinder 1E just feels odd, even if I get it. Aside from Alchemist, Summoner was the other APG class I really wanted to see in a computer game.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

By the by, out of curiosity: I've heard that there's a +4 Charisma Headband in "the spider cave in the Kamelands" which is available shortly after Chapter 2 begins.

... Where the gently caress is this theoretical cave? Is it closer to Silverstep or something?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, if you're looking for "clothing armor", it's basically the bracers.

You can find one equivalent in power to Mage Armor early in chapter 2 if you go far south into the Kamelands and in Empty Skull Rock, but be ready to kill a shitload of Trollhounds.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hunners plus dinozords. Now it's literally every core and hybrid pet class except Summoner.

Yes, I might be having a cow.

pentyne posted:

So i really want to play and get some enjoyment out of this so I wanted simple fighter character, a greatsword paladin but I'm already feeling like if I try to play it any harder then the piss easy mode I'll screw up because I don't have the int for crane style(not even sure what that is) or I'm not building it proper to get the 1-2 levels of knife master/vivisection etc.

I've found the build guides listed here https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post4 but as I look at it all those builds dump some stats to 7 and are min-maxed to hell and back.

On the other hand, I'm chunking every enemy with every hit so its not challenging and I don't even feel like trying exploit CC spells and disabling abilities. I'd like to experience a challenge but most of the starting advice mention the highly irregular difficulty curve and that the normal-ish mode is stilled geared towards experienced pnp players looking to break the character system over their knee.

Is it worth trying to play? Or do I need to just follow a build guide if I want it hard enough to be a challenge without being complete bullshit,

The only time you really need to worry about super-specific character build poo poo is if you are trying to build the character to be a tank. You get multiple damage dealers and healers who are, even mono-class, perfectly build to perform their roles (Ekun and Amiri basically build themselves even without following a guide, and both Regongar and Octavia aren't too hard to figure out). You just need to sort out a tank of some sort (either turning Ekun's dog into one or doing something with Valerie or perhaps Harrim or making your Baron one) and you're good to go.

So no just plow on with your paladin if you are having fun. :) Paladin is strong and good and you don't get one in the normal progression so your Baron will do stuff the others don't.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Only thing better than a dino pet is a dino pet with teamwork feats, this last goal is hype. :cheers:

And slacker backers & preorders virtually guarantee we'll get it, even if we end up a couple dozen thousand short.

It's been a good campaign and I am excited as hell for this next year.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

Hello. I tried to start playing this game. Got as far as finishing making a character only for Cindered Shadows to come out. I am juuuuust about burned out on Fire Emblem and am wondering if there are any resources available for me to skip 'trap' class builds. I made a magus but I didn't know what weapon to specialize in. I went dueling sword since I figured those would key off dex rather than str but really hell if I know.

To chime in, I've been using basically a dex dueling sword magus via a custom party member, and it goddamn slaps. A lot of function crossover with Regongar, but :shrug:

Griffen posted:

The one complaint I have is that BP income is less direct; I can't build farms or industries and just get BP, I have to build stuff, then upgrade advisors to increase my BP income. That ends up making my baron run around murdering monsters and looting tombs to just help boost the treasury as the primary source of income.

Yeah, I'm not super fond about how indirect a lot of the income feels. I mean, it's true to form for D&D (adventurers fueling stuff with found/sold loot has been a trope for ages and does amuse me to some degree :vv: ) but it does result in a slightly bigger disconnect than I think they were intending.

Der Shovel posted:

Question, though: my current main mission objective is to "wait until the fog clears". Will it be obvious when that happens? I'm suddenly hell of worried about the passing of time locking me out of stuff.

As mentioned, you need to deal with all of the other major "Stolen Land" quests for the fog to clear (that generally being chasing down Tartuccio). Once that's done, head back to Oleg's, talk to the nymph, and you'll be able to head to the chapter end.

And yes the three month limit is incredibly generous and you can easily do everything within the fog boundary before the time limit is up. Including Tranquil River Bend, if you're up for a challenge. :getin:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The only one of those fights that does not have an immediate solution is the wisp courtier. You absolutely have the tools during chapter 1 to handle all of those fights without much trouble. The only other possible one is the bear treant if you do it early and haven't gotten both the mansion party members back (giving up early Tristian in the process).

Part of the reason the game is fun is because it has a crapload of solutions for the problems you face. There's still too much trash later on but the fights are never unmanageable unless you are fighting the obvious chapter superbosses and side content, which is meant to be challenging as hell when first encountered.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SweetBro posted:

For someone who isn't familiar with APs, roughly what percentage of the main story is in the alpha?

As Koth noted, the stage demo took place during chapter 2, and the alpha covers basically all of books/chapters 1 and 2 save for the literal noob cave beneath Kenabres which kicks off the actual AP. Presumably the noob cave will be the tutorial area in the final game ala Jamandi's mansion in Kingmaker.

There are six chapters in the original AP, but these are considerably wider in scope and remember that Owlcat added what are essentially multiple extra chapters to the game version of Kingmaker (which are now being adapted back into the tabletop version). I would not be surprised if we end up with an eight or nine chapter game by the end.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

I can't see anything in the combat log indicating Mirror Image being active though it certainly would explain it. That seems like a strange oversight. Especially since it isn't visually obvious either, at least not for a new player like me.

Mirror Image is like the only evasion mechanic that doesn't appear in the combat log, annoyingly. And yes, given the target, this was 100% Mirror Image. If you hear a "shwoom" when trying to hit (which can be harder if you're in realtime) then you hit an image.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also: the console version is on its way, come August 18th, and both that version and the PC version will get the same official turn-based mode that Wrath is getting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2862274

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Really, all three add something worthwhile. It's worth it to pick up the whole package.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I've also noticed that many of the Lawful choices and Evil choices aren't just relegated to "good/bad." Even early on, I've seen a couple "evil" options that were either perfectly sensible things to say or do, or were the kind of thing where it might be evil to just play judge-dredd on the street, but this guy is a fucker and deserves it anyway imo. Some of the Lawful options have been really absolutist about the law, really showing the dissonance between law and what is Right. That's cool and I'm only in the prologue/first act.

This is very specifically something that Owlcat, and especially Nika Alborti, Owlcat's head writer, wanted to address after the (very deserved) criticisms of the issues with especially the Lawful choices in Kingmaker. I'm glad to hear they're getting it right so far.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

If we still snag alpha access now, will we also get beta access or do we gotta pay :10bux: for that?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nephthys posted:

The real best alignment is being Lawful for the bulletin boards and then turning off all alignment restrictions and penalties with Bag of Tricks. :colbert:

This is the true and actual way.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Okay, the beta updates are nice, but I'm just over here dying for info on Gold Dragon, like, at all. That you evidently don't get to unlock it by chapter 4 (out of a six-chapter adpath plus whatever Owlcat tacks on) feels a bit worrying.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Isn't it (and Swarm/Legend/anything else) just not in the game yet? So trying to judge when exactly they'll be available somewhat difficult? Because there definitely seems to be Gold Dragon and Swarm-related stuff in Chapter 3, just without any follow on at the moment.

This is sort of what I mean; they're apparently still unimplemented even at this stage in early 2021, when Owlcat is still angling hard to have this thing out this year and now I'm just unnecessarily :ohdear: over the whole thing. I want deets and I want confirmation they haven't had to scale it back. :smith:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I am enjoying archer ranger because its very simple.

My only complaint with this would be that chapter 2 gives you an exceptionally competent party member with this exact build, and the final dungeon of the chapter even provides him with a weapon that'll practically last till the end-game if you search. Nothing wrong with doubling up ofc but there will be overlap.

If you're looking for something that will give you power and can't be hosed up too hard, Lobster, Sylvan Sorcerer is a good choice, since you get a pet buddy and you really just need to pick blasting spells or the occasional mass disable spell and you're gucci.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I'd go with a Druid with one level Monk dip, there are no NPC Druids and that dip is a godsend in the endgame. You get an animal Buddy that either helps tanking or flanking, Nature Lore for hunting and skillchecks; and if you take the anti-fey spec you are a homerun for the story.

The "friends with fey" spec is also kind of hilarious and good, tbh. :vv:

But yeah Druid is another good choice; the only real "problem" is that Owlcat's spell choice in the un-modded game for Druid can be a little uninspiring compared to Cleric or the arcane casters.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Craft Magic Items is a very cool mod for that, you are basically trading money and time for an item (all you need is taking the feats and maxing Knowledge Arcana on your mages)

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/54

note: you do all the crafting in the mod menu, but you do get ingame messages about the progress

It's also worth pointing out that this basically completes Alchemists, because they lost the ability to craft and got....nothing, in return.

Alchs in 1E are still drat good mind you, but it always drove me a little nuts that one of the points of playing the class - making your own poo poo out the gate - was missing.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

JamMasterJim posted:

Yeah, you can get some funny numbers with crits. Abilities that change crit modifier, maximize damage dice like sword saint ability and increase their number (like legendary proportions and lead weapons) can make it ridiculous.

:eyepop:

But I mean, this is also the Real Problem with the stat inflation: this game is Pathfinder 1E, which means it is D&D 3.5, which means it can be power-gamed to absolute hell and back, and a lot of the side monsters especially are clearly angled toward people who have been turbo-optimizing. They're built in such a way as to challenge those players, and it sort of feels like there was a general assumption that the game's main audience would already know Pathfinder 1E cold. That clearly isn't how it happened, but they didn't know how rebalance the whole game for the people who were just stumbling in (or thought the difficulty options would be enough, not realizing how dissatisfying that would feel).

Like, there's also just some problematic design in general (the overworld perception, perception in general, missable sources of EXP like trap disarmament) but part of the game's issues absolutely stem from an expectation of how the game is going to be played.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I want Iron Gods so bad because I want to go absolutely all in on the Numerian Superscience in the hands of barbarians aesthetic.

Just give me my Thundarr the Barbarian adpath, Owlcat. Do the needful.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

lmao holy poo poo. Despite doing everything "right", near as I can tell, concerning Elina and Ekun, when I try to get him to turn away from revenge hell murder forever, he attacks me instead of backing down. I guess it's because I brought him to virtually every major story beat and wasn't ~~lawful~~ enough and got his affinity for me down or something. And there was no indication of this beforehand and there seems to be no way to "force" it or correct it in Bag of Tricks. This sure feels great and not like a waste of dozens of hours since I actually care about this character and want him to get a happy ending.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

JamMasterJim posted:

General affection when you do quests/plot matters only for romances, Ekun and other personal quests care only for specific flags. Like if you do not stop him from killing the troll kids.

Spared the kids, nudged him toward Elina wherever possible during the picnic. I did, foolishly I guess, let him share a bottle with Ntavi tho.

Does anyone know where the Ekun flags are kept in the save file jsons or if those flags can be manipulated in Bag of Tricks?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing it's probably something to do with Ntavi. Either a missed quest like Bury the Past, or some wrong answers involving her conversations. Or it could have bugged out, that's always possible.

I'm specifically on Bury the Past and I can't not get him to attack me when trying to get him to back down from endless revenge

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Let me guess, though, I'm guessing Gold Dragon and Swarm still aren't in the new beta.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

The trick is, of course, that enemies get their own Dragon Ball Z bullshit.

I cannot wait to see how they implement the special flavors of bullshit Xanthir, Baphomet, Deskari and especially Areelu get. :allears: Especially since they seem to be "Nyrissa-ing" Areelu and she's going to be a lot more directly plugged in to the entire plot than she was in the original AdPath, and she was already a good deal better about that than Nyrissa was.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Frankly, in Kingmaker I almost wondered if "lawful good" sucking rear end was on purpose and kind of a political statement; almost everyone outside of the party who is lawful is loving awful, the lawful options you get in dialogue universally suck, and all the really sympathetic or likeable characters are neutral or chaotic. It felt too consistent to not be on purpose.

But yes, from what I've seen, the split in Wrath makes a lot more sense and hits differently, thanks in part due to the context of needing to be a commander. So the context of "law" means something a bit different.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, the issue is that in the traditional law of the area, trolls don't count as sapients for the purpose of the other application of laws.

Which is dumb as poo poo because you're the one who could MAKE THOSE LAWS but

Wrath really does handle a lot of this much better

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

pentyne posted:

So, it's it just the reverse then?

I've seen mention how chapter 4 on all the enemies have Unholy Aura, which basically turbofucks a lot of build ideas.

I'll give Owlcat credit, they take on a job 3x larger then they should with probably 1/2 the staff needed and are able to eventually crank out a functional game that is pretty unmatched in recent memory. Wrath is shaping up to be another very rough launch given chapters 5-6 aren't even in the beta and what is in the final beta is still broken as gently caress in many places.

It is incredibly obvious they're holding back Chapters 5 and 6 on purpose for spoiler purposes. That means we probably won't have any Gold Dragon deets until launch, but welp. :shrug:

And even with some of the wild poo poo that's been in beta 3, it's somehow still in vastly better shape than launch Kingmaker was. I don't think folks appreciate just how dire launch KM ended up being. I've still got faith that WotR launch will smooth(ish).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

based on that job posting and a specific area i saw in the wotr beta i really think the next ap is ........iron gods........ the area in the wotr beta is (wotr spoilers)a full scifi base complete with computers, keycard puzzles, cybernetically altered people, and a crystal AI as the end boss of the area

Oh my god, are they positing it as Vorlesh going Full Numeria Mode with her Nathyndrian research? She's already a better character than in the AP from what I've seen of chapters 1 and 2 but god that would rule, I cannot wait for the full game to be out

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Arivia posted:

Just wanted to confirm the details from the last few pages about WotR - the cavalier class is in, mounted combat is in, but spears take the place of lances (meaning they do double damage when used on a charge). Is Spirited Charge (the feat, deals double damage when charging on a mount, stacks with lances/spears) also in? Can you actually play a mounted charge character for once in a 3e/PF CRPG? That is incredibly exciting.

Yes to pretty much all of this. The min-maxers are a little down on Cavalier still (you still need to charge in and out of combat a lot, which is slightly ~slower~ than getting stuck in) but everything's in and all the mechanics work.

And yes, you can play as DINOSAUR CAVALRY.

Razakai posted:

For people that have played the beta, how prevalent and annoying are traps? I see that the only rogue companion lacks trapfinding if it follows the PnP rules.

They made sure Woljif is still good at trapfinding, though trapfinding is just perception in Owlcat-finder. The skill system is a fair bit simpler than in PnP.

Traps are usually prevalent, but getting someone who can deal with them, especially in a six man party, isn't too hard.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 31, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I understand in one of the last beta updates they changed it so that mythic path alignment shifts don’t turn off class features from alignment locked classes. Question is can you keep taking levels IE an Azata Paladin.

I've been asking this too, and it sounds like the current belief is that it doesn't allow you to take levels, but you do keep the abilities from levels you have gained. It's still unclear, though, and we'll have to wait for the 2nd to see for sure.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does the new game transfer anything from the last one or are they fully independent

Fully independent.

Also, I think you may be in "twiddle thumbs" territory.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The one thing I think they missed the mark on was picking class: the little "wander around" intro sequence would be perfect for trying out various mechanics and deciding if you can find a class you like, but they don't use it that way and it bums me out. :smith:

There's a certain point where it'd be nifty to take a lot of the mythics for a spin as well, and they don't do it there either (though that's also technically accurate to the book).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's the story with the voice acting for this one? I was not a fan of the patchwork nature of the voice acting in the first one. I've come to accept that I just don't have the patience to read video game dialogue anymore.

You will not have the patience for this video game, then. It will not be fully voiced.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Goodbye workday tomorrow. Nice thinking about you.

I am so glad I wrapped up recent work yesterday :v:

Also yes, if you want to be a cavalier, follow your horsey paste dreams

all classes are good and the game is good. goodness prevails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Not quite, because we haven't seen the endgame chapters yet so it's a bit hard to say definitively. We know the general feel for the ones that were available in the beta, but some of them are late-game-exclusive.

Expect stuff like that in the coming weeks.