Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Helion posted:

I now have 4 guys shooting bows behind 2 frontline fighters. Is anyone else in this kinda odd situation? Also, I hope my bard is able to sing for longer soon, without singing she doesn't contribute a ton.

You are going to need to take Lingering Song, the feat, if you want songs to last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

1st Stage Midboss posted:

You absolutely can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency, just not at first level. You hit level 3 pretty quick, spending the first 2 levels using a different weapon won't hurt.

The game doesn't seem to explain this anywhere I can find looking at character creation, but it's presumably the same as tabletop where you get Mystery spells on even-numbered levels - your Level 1 spell at Oracle 2, your Level 2 spell at Oracle 4, etc.

Yes, your oracle mystery spells are analogous to Sorcerer bloodline spells - you get them a level after you get your other spells.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So out of curiosity, what is the reward for clearing the Grey Garrison before the demons even have a chance to attack the tavern? I have a save where I could go do it right now, but I'd end up missing out on the loot from the Tirabade Residence, the Topaz alchemist shop and the Pitaxian Wine Cellar, and I wouldn't quite be level 5 yet for the GG. I'm curious as to what the reward is, because it's clearly doable, you just have to give up a few things, and I'm wondering what the trade is.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what's the "Trigger" for the tavern fight? Is it just "Everything else is done" ?

Roughly three days passing in the game world, starting from when you wake up in the Heart. This is why some folks were running into it immediately, because the "recommended rest" function was blitzing the entire timer.

Insurrectionist posted:

Huh, is there any reason for this? Getting them one level late isn't a big deal at least, but precisely for that reason it seems somewhat needlessly confusing.

Ostensibly, balance. These are often spells that otherwise aren't available to divine casters, or are at least spells you get on top of all your other selections, and so just "getting" them right alongside everything else would feel slightly cheap to some other folks at the table in a TT game. So sorc-style spontaneous casters get their spells just a bit later.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 5, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If whiffing dozens of attacks on enemies slipping in grease until the enemies just get up and kill you in one hit the normal way things go?

Like the grease spell is nice for crowd control but holy hell it makes enemies invincible. I guess have to make sure at least 1 enemy isn't in the grease?

edit: in kingmaker not the new one

You specifically need to get the enemies on the edge of the grease puddle where your own dudes can hit them without going in. Prone enemies actually take an AC penalty to being attacked in melee, because they can't defend themselves effectively (normal AC assumes someone able to take passive defensive actions). Ranged folks take a penalty to hit prone folks, meanwhile, since the attack calculation assumes firing at a target at standing height, and if they're flat on the ground they present a narrower target. No this doesn't take elevation in account or shooting down at an easy prone target, shut up

It works the same way in both games. If you want to place a grease puddle centered on a point and not a dude, hit shift to make the target marker not snap to enemies.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

W/R/T crusade system stuff: at the very start it was okay, and I think part of the issue people are having is that the game takes way too long to explain "having a general = your dudes get recovered when they get owned", but even the balance seems a little... hosed, compared to the beta. For example, getting to Regill in beta 2 wasn't too difficult, the gargoyle fight was mostly a gimmick to introduce the idea of crusade mode DR. But in the live version, that garg army can actually stonewall you on the real, no pun intended.They'll go right for your bowmen, and their DR, even with a general who can boost attack, is so high that a starting force of footmen, even reinforced with initial purchaseables, is likely to run out of steam trying to grind them down. That feels... odd, given that it's very easy to stumble into bee-lining the Regill acquisition just through natural play.

I'll say for my part that this has been the first real question I've had on balance. Aside from the persistent personal bugbear of how Owlcat decided to make out of combat skills work a lot of the time (what's the point of die-roll skill checks when they can just be save scummed?) and my continued suspicions about the streakiness of the RNG they use, everything up through chapter 1 felt like a more polished version of the beta and I've been pleased. The bit above just confuses me, though, because... it was working fine previously. I'm not sure why they felt a need to change it.

(Fun fact: the morale system and banners weren't in the beta, either.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zore posted:

I don find it weird that they basically shoved Heroes of Might and Magic 3 in and have you play that in tandem with the game you bought. I even like HOMM and still find Crusade mode kinda tedious to swap between because it feels like it breaks the flow a lot if you're doing things 'optimally'.

Part of the problem is that, for Russian gamers of a certain generation, HoMM3 really is a religion. The leads of Owlcat are the dudes who got to make HoMM5, which was a dream job for them. So when they had the perfect AP to mash HoMM and PF together, instead of using print Wrath's army system, they leapt on the idea without hesitation.

I'm just a bit weirded out that they messed up the balance after getting it right in the beta. I fear this might be another case of overly-obsessed testers providing "helpful" feedback about difficulty...

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

lol god they really do expect you to just deadass spend that additional 7k and buy the extra army to make initial progress quickly, don't they

The starting army really can't go to either Nenio's quest place or the Regill unlock

thank you, overly obsessed HoMM players in the beta

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´m currently looking at the Arcanist class right now since it seems to me that it takes most of the good stuff from both the Wizard and the Sorcerer? If this take is wrong I´d happily take a correction on this and also some build advice if possible.

Nope, it splits the middle really well. If you like scribing spells but also like picking stuff on the fly, it's a good pick. It's what I played in beta.

That said, its resource pool is also one of the few confirmed class bugs right now. :v: The arcane pool doesn't fill properly on rest and can get cleared out in odd ways.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The posts ITT are really making me glad I picked Flamedancer Bard and am going down the Azata path, since FD Bard has had no issues (likely due to being a well-tested Kingmaker class) and Azata has few reported issues. :v:

Still, I wish I knew why the crusade balance was so hosed up now. It's one thing for it to "not have been tested", but it was far better balanced and more enjoyable in earlier beta phases!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Cool turns out Skald's rage powers are just busted and don't actually apply so I can't even use beast totems to buff my party.

Guess I'm going reroll and do that trickster run after all because respeccing my character into someone else feels weird

Make absolutely sure that your allies have "accept inspired rage" turned on. That option is there in case you have folks you don't want to hulk out at the moment. Unlike bardsong, which is just buffs, you may not want the -AC on folks all the time, so they make it optional. But you might have turned it off by accident. :v:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah the political situation is bleh

it's too bad the Lich system is so weak, I need to defer to the other nations because I totally rely on recruits and mercs when I shouldn't have to

im the head of an evangelizing self-replicating force, whyyyy do I care about queens and kings bleh

You're still comparatively new to this "Lich-ing" thing. You're going to need to make nice with the living fleshies until you reach the point (in theory) where you can raise whole nations worth of troops. :v:

Remember, most liches take decades or even centuries to achieve lichdom and reach the apex of your power. The Mythic Path Lich is kind of hopping the express train and cheating.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 7, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

EclecticTastes posted:

It turns out Mythic Paths don't just end at busted character options and fun story beats, they also add ridiculously useful things to crusade management. For Trickster your new special friend will pop in and suggest you take care of your officers' boredom, which gives you the opportunity to give every one of your generals a feat that automatically generates experience daily, so, there's another in-game system made vastly easier to handle by Trickster.

At least in beta, I understand that both Azata and Trickster get some really hilarious recruitment options, too, like mimics (as in, chest mimics) and you can start to bring in the "armies", to loosely term it, of Elysium to help as Azata. I'd guess Lich is a little broken-in-a-bad-way atm because it's just meant to change so much of the Crusade functionality.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Wait, all this talk of deities made me think to check... you can't pick Groetus as your god? Aww, look's like we'll never know the joy of trying to convert Ember to our lord and saviour Creepy-Nihlism-Moon .

You can't pick the Green Faith as a "deity" when literally some of the other characters get it and it infuriates me to no end. It's part of what made me not do Druid.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

I will say that now that I'm a full on grown rear end Gold Dragon here in the mid-point of Act 5 or so, we've gone right over the peak of the power curve and ascended to heaven. Basically unstoppable, my archers are exploding things on contact now, as I decimate entire armies of demons with righteous fire.

If there's a whole 'nother act after this it's going to get downright silly.

Well, if act 6 as printed is any indication, you're currently strutting around the ring, cutting high-powered promos. But when act 6 starts, let's just say that some other folks in your weight class are gonna pop up on the Titantron and come down the ramp. :allears:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Valleyant posted:

Major Camilla spoilers that she was lying the whole time and there was never any spirit is kind of funny in a 'well geez I shouldn't have erred on the side of caution' on the name of more content. I executed her right after she said it was all a lie but dang if she wasn't written to take advantage of not wanting to miss out.

Lmao what

where the gently caress does her divine magic come from then

how does she do any of her class stuff

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wonder if you can kill it AND save Daeran somehow

The entire thrust of the conclusion of his questline involves bringing the Other out in a way that doesn't kill Daeran and using shenanigans to make it defeatable.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Ugh.

On my recent play binge, I've now gotten to chapter 3 on two different characters - a flamecaller bard azata and an angel white mage arcanist, the latter of whom I did go ahead and do a toybox'd spellbook merge with because I think the divide for the book merges on the L9 casters is Dumb™ (and I'm planning on taking that character into the realm of theurge Legend, so it's halfway semantic anyway and I'd rather play as arcanist in the earlier part of the game than oracle). But now I kinda also want to play some of the things similar to what I messed around with in Kingmaker, like a feyspeaker druid or a sylvan sorc, with the ability to ride animal companions. I'd love to ride into battle atop my mighty triceratops, throwing down spells and eventually transforming myself for a mighty charge, all leading into turning into a gold dragon late game.

But I hear and have seen an example or two of the actual GD plot being the worst of the mythics by far.

Goddammit. The paralysis of choosing cool things. :negative:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

Anyway, I was on the verge of trying the game again and get past act III this time ; but since EE is out next week I might as well wait. Meanwhile, I'm sure it's already been asked and answered but :effort: : does the prequel low lvl campaign have any impact on the main one, or is it purely stand-alone ?

You will get a nifty item at a point late in Act 1 if you've cleared DLC2, and survivors you get to the Heart will be present after you fend off the attack and before you enter the Garrison. That's about it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

So has anyone played with a Hex Channeler witch turned lich? I've been thinking about picking this up again and going full evil. I was thinking Hex Channeler since the negative Energy focus would play nice with Lich, bombing around with channel powers for my offense and then focusing on buffs /support in spell selection, and getting access to the full lich merged spellbook.

Well the main issue is that there is exactly one Witch build that gets access to any kind of undead creation at all, and even that still lacks Animate Dead. Yes, the Witch, notable heretical weird-magic class, gets no access to undead creation natively at base. So I'm not sure how satisfying it'd feel, having to rely on other party members to start the monster mash with extra skellingtons.

Said build is Stig Witch with a Vampirism curse. The upshot is that you get Create Undead as a fifth-level spell - when just about everyone else has to take that as 6th-level. You also get Vampiric Touch at third. The other good bit of news is that Stigmatized Witch is compatible with Hex Channeler.

It could ultimately still work, but without Animate Dead, I'm not sure how satisfying it'd feel in the end. Of course, you can always Toybox your way around this little deficiency, but.

EDIT: Ah wait, right, picking multiple archetypes isn't in the base game. It is, however, one of those things that tabletop directly allows (so long as two archetypes don't affect the same thing), so it's a very Valid™ thing to do that several mods enable.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 25, 2022

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

grah posted:

Pretty sure the giant Retriever in the basement of Leper's Smile has a Petrifying Rays or Gaze attack that can one-shot, at least on Hard/Unfair

In fact, every Retriever you meet will generally lead with their petri gaze.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

v1ld posted:

Seriously though, game really is good. I never got out of Act 1 because I got into writing the mods I wanted for convenience and never actually played much. Happy I decided to play Kingmaker before WotR, such a good game.

Uh, have you ever made those publicly available, or were those just for personal use?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

For all that, moving into weapon range and THEN doing an attack action never seems to glitch for me. And boy, having a mount gives you a lot of flexibility in turn-based.

Though, yes, the main issue there is probably that your reach exceeds your mount's, and it causes issues. Which is frustrating given that a number of cav-specific weapons are longspears etc.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 27, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

The three choices are Yourself, Yourself and Areelu, the Whole Gang

I thought it was Yourself, You + your crew, and You + crew + Areelu. Haven't done the thing myself tho :shobon:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

JamMasterJim posted:

That's a mystery box. We just know he died and is not coming back.

And more to the point, while they could answer it, the founding staff of Paizo (who are largely still in charge now) are pointedly uninterested in answering the question:

Erik Mona, Chief Creative Officer of Paizo posted:

[I'm not theorizing about why Aroden died] because I don't have a personal theory. I do not know how Aroden died, or why, or who did it, or in which room it happened. I don't find those things to be the interesting parts about him. In fact, it's kind of the one aspect of the character that I don't find particularly interesting. The interesting thing to me is more in the "what now" aspect of what happens to the campaign world when "God" dies. What happens to institutions, to culture, etc. Add to that the idea that this also casts prophecy in doubt, and you've got a bunch of inherent questions that are more interesting to me than "who did it." I never really considered "who did it" when I created Aroden. I left that to be determined later, to be woven into other stories by other authors, very likely stories that hadn't been considered yet, left for future development if we decided to develop it at all. The "working theory" is more something James and others have pieced together in the time since Aroden's creation, tying in the few clues that I left with other cool stuff that they're planning to have a "maybe this is how it went down," but as I mentioned earlier, even that's flexible until we actually decide to address the issue. If we do. I could outline an entire Aroden-focused Adventure Path with all kinds of insight into his life, his cult, and the ruins of his influence, but to be perfectly honest I'm not certain even that would answer the question of how he died. I like that the people of Golarion don't know. So long as there's no "official" answer, the answer is free to be whatever you want it to be.

He exists, narratively, much more as A Device And Symbol Of What Was rather than a mystery to be solved, at least as originally conceived.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yes, War of Immortals is an upcoming Big Pathfinder Event for late next year and into 2025 that'll feature at least one AP, a dedicated rules extension for 2E mythic play (and these new classes), at least one Lost Omens (i.e. setting/fluff) book, and probably more. It is going to bump off one of the core deities in a more explicit way than the mystery surrounding Aroden and will explore the fallout of that.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

A TITAN LOOKING AT AN ANT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nephthys posted:

This sucks.

I hope this is just a situation where it's just corporate speak for "too early to reveal info" because I really want another Pathfinder game. Or that they aren't making a Pathfinder game but ARE making a Starfinder one.

They (alongside Paizo itself, granted) just this year dodged the bullet of an attempted corporate assassination, and after that and all the rights drama that surrounded Kingmaker, I'm not really surprised they're just saying "you know, we like PF but naw, we're out at this point". Especially if they can land licenses like Rogue Trader, where the overall rights are vastly more stable and they can even more or less self-publish with GW's help, it just makes no sense to stick to something that's been as unintentionally rocky as Pathfinder.

It's unfortunate, but it's a reality I can understand very easily. Mostly I hope that RT is a success and they can continue to mess around in 40K for a while. There's several other game lines in the FFG set alone they could explore, too.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 19, 2023