Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

It's still Pathfinder

I stayed away from all discussion on this game despite donating to the kickstarter, so forgive me if I'm (probably) beating a dead horse here. I tried to play the disastrous launch and gave up until a short while ago when I did my playthru... As Olesh said, it turned out ok and I'd have greater faith in them making a sequel, but boy did I wish I wasn't so intimately familiar with Pathfinder because it really soured me on the whole experience. Losing the granularity of the action/movement economy while facing packs of monsters that were seemingly arbitrarily given the stat blocks of mature adult dragons at like level 5 was aggravating, not to mention the absurdity of seeing just random poo poo with literally 75 strength. Its "pathfinder" with numerous serious issues. Oh yeah also the kingdom management stuff is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I started on normal and promptly switched to custom settings after meeting a group of goblins that were swinging at +12 with 20something ac. So much for 1/3CR.

My party consisted entirely of obscenely mix/maxed munchkin bullshit and it was still rough. Save or suck spells were basically off the table due to everything having ~3x the saves they "should" have had and melee combat was wild. Was the intention that you pump con on your front line and just hp tank every combat?

And lol the unexplained mechanics like swarms... yeah. Mandragora swarms in a game with no darkness spell or all the weird first world treant poo poo with regen or immunities that require like DC50+ knowledge checks to discover.

As for playing without already knowing about the ttrpg... I can't imagine that either. Its been a 2-3 years since I ran my last campaign and I still had to study up to refresh my knowledge of all the numerous class/feat interactions and prereqs and whatnot. Its loving complicated. If you just turn on the autolevel template stuff is the game even playable without dropping everything down to minimum difficulty?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

The player base supports this because they are enormous chodes.

Do they really? When I lost some seemingly trivial combats early on, I dug into the combat log and was shocked to see the monster stats it revealed. I mean its totally backwards, the little stat snippet they show you will be like "Strength: 30" but then checking the rolls in the combat log will reveal their attack bonus included "Strength: +24" which is granted by having a strength of loving 58. Anyway my cursory google search to see if this was intended mostly revealed people bitching about it

e: I was super shocked nobody made an overhaul mod just to enforce core stats on monsters, seemed like it'd be the first thing people would make

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I did just that and yet here is a screenshot I took of a monster with 75 strength

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

^^ Yeah I cherry picked a particularly egregious example, but really you could do this from practically any monster in any act and see crazy high stat bonuses

I ran a 3 man party of two outrageously minmaxed dex meleer and a caster and despite eclipsing 70AC buffed at the end it didn't really matter because the sheer volume of attacks meant that I would definitely eat nat 20s from someone with an absurd strength bonus anyway.

e: Not to be entirely negative, this game did accidentally give me one of my most memorable crpg moments of all time. When those demon worshipping peasants accost you about the Mendev recruiters, I gave them the lawful good response and they immediately attacked me. Like 8 peasants rush up to swarm my two rogues and get cut down in a single round of full attacks. Just as the last one is gibbed, the cultist that stayed back gets his spell off: Tasha's loving laughter, which of course works because I botched my save, and my murdermachine literally rolls around on the floor laughing his rear end off at the audacity of these dumb loving peasants. A+ gaming

Mondian fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 15, 2019

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

CDW posted:

Stupid question, what Act is this mofo in? I'm assuming 6? The only Thundervine I found looking into this is in Act 2 and is nowhere near those stats. I remember murdering it but didn't remember it at all before googling it, but Act 6 I'd have no idea.

I don't recall exactly, but I think there's only the one. Its in the Rotten Cave, the stats it shows you are:

But like every other monster, those stats have precisely zero bearing on the actual combat rolls

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

efb

Back Hack posted:

For someone not really familiar with Pathfinder all that well, what is a Slayer class exactly?

Ranger/rogue combo, an assassin basically.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm loathe to discover what sort of astronomical monster stats a procedurally generated Kingmaker dungeon will reveal

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Even has a hacky 5ft step, nice. Prob still provokes an aoo, but its progress

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Meanwhile mages get stupid poo poo like Sacred Geometry

This poo poo was always a punchline in my group. Its just so absurd, I can't imagine having a player propose this poo poo and not just laughing in his face.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

No, advisors will give their opinion on matters but you're able to make your own rulings if you prefer

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Makes sense re:advisors resigning, but I never encountered it despite overruling them a number of times. Anyone got a hard number of times you can do it before they bail?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tabletop magus owns, even tho it tends to be a one trick pony (constant 10d6 metamagicked shocking grasp etc), but I found it doesn't really work well in this game.

Speaking of which, anyone using the turn based mod: I recall it implemented 5ft steps sorta, in that you get the movement while retaining your actions for the turn, but does it still trigger AoOs?

e: In my experience, my save or suck spells typically failed despite pumping the DC as high as I could, since most of the stuff you really want to erase is either immune to the good spells or, due to this game's ridiculously inflated monster stats, basically required them to botch if I had any hope of succeeding. Hopefully someone else can prove me wrong

Mondian fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 1, 2019

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

God I wish they'd just adopted a divinity style turn based grid and cut out most of the dumb trash fights

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Eldritch Arcana and Advanced Martial Arts were good, dunno if they're still compatible

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

dropping Sirocco+Deadly Earth and sitting in the next room while everything dies is satisfying for some.

Not really satisfying, but grabbing a merc to do this really helped me power through a lot of obnoxious bullshit in the final act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

v1ld posted:

- Is there any place in the game where the party splits in two? Or where the player character is not in the party?
The duel in Valerie's loyalty quests. I dunno if it functionally changes party composition, but visually it only shows her portrait and only gives you access to her.