Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

JamMasterJim posted:

Probably Eldritch scion(to like level 11-13), one level of monk for AC bonuses and dragon disciple for the rest. Max Strength and Cha.
Aasimar is probably the best choice for this.

Hmm now I am curious how going Eldritch Scion instead of Sorcerer works on that build. I do have a level 5 or so Monk/Paladin/Sorcerer and now I am tempted to start over with a Monk/Magus/Paladin.

That said I just started a Eldritch Scion with the Abyssal bloodline, using a portrait from the Steam forums.

Also recently made a new Druid who picked up Linzi and Valerie, got to Oleg's and leveled to 2, has a Smilodon for his animal companion and proceeded to give Valerie and Amari a level in Sacred Huntsmaster so that they could get a Smilodon and Mastodon respectively, and gave Linzi a level in Sylvan Sorcerer to give Linzi a Smilodon as well. Animal Swarm has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I feel like a few of you are being rather harsh. I don't remember anything about invisibility potions or bringing someone stealthy. All I remember was Linzi sounding like she might be jealous in her journal entries.

What I did there was find the little skill check path, go in using that because why not, then try to run and fail to find the athletics check to get back up the crumbling wall, and proceeded to die. Then reloaded went in directly, then ran up and actually found the skill check and followed them to a side exit. I still had to kill some wolves or something to actually leave as I couldn't click on the leave map bit while the enemies were that close.

EDIT: That said I had a lot more trouble just walking to the place to meet her than the actual summons. Simply because I kept getting ridiculous random encounters.

Yes a lone low level character is totally up for fighting 3 hydras.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Wizard Styles posted:

My Sylvan Sorcerer's leopard has been solid throughout so far and was possibly the strongest party member in chapter one.

Mastodon looks like a pretty good tank as well.

At some point I want to make a custom party with a Sylvan Sorcerer, a Druid, a Monster Tactician with the Animal Domain and some other class that gets an Animal Companion and see if it's possible to break the venomous ones. None of them look amazing on their own and I tried the centipede on a Druid merc and it was a lot weaker than the leopard but there might be something there if you just lean in hard and really go for stat drain kills.

My Druid character, one of over a dozen characters i have built so far, has a Smilodon. I gave Harim a Mad Dog Barbarian level to pick up a Smilodon. I gave Amari a level of Hunt Master I think and gave her a Mastodon because that felt more appropriate. I don't remember if I have Linzi or Jaethal, if Linzi then it would have been Sylvan Sorcerer, if Jaethal it would have been, uh I don't remember but another class that got an animal companion. Basically once I got to Oleg's and leveled to 2 everyone in my party had an animal companion. Though giving someone Monster Tactician with the Animal Domain would probably be a good way to get an Animal Companion, and a bunch of summons though not sure if the animal companion gets the benefit of the teamwork feats.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Rules for the Kineticist.

The Kineticist picks an element at 1st level. They get Kinetic Blast which generally deals 1d6+1+Con mod damage at 1st level, increasing by 1d6+1 every 2 levels after 1st. For physical blasts, energy blasts only get 1/2 Con mod and don't get the +1 at each interval.
Eventually they get a 2nd element and can combine the two four a Composite Blast that scales faster. This is their Eldritch Blast equivalent.

They have Burn which lets them take a point of Burn which gives them 1 point of nonlethal damage per character level, some of their abilities either require Burn, or can be improved by taking Burn. This has no comparison with the Warlock, unless you are going into the Hellfire Warlock's Con damage. That said they get benefits for the more Burn they have, but yeah they have to ride that line of at will blasting and actually doing anything worthwhile by crippling their hp.

They get Wild Talents, this is kind of like Invocations and yeah these often require Burn.

They do get Gather Power. This is where they do that DBZ thing of standing in place while energy crackles around them and they gather power. ... No seriously. Need to have both hands, or whatever number of whatever appendages, free and it takes a Move Action. It is loud, and obvious as a visible display with a 20ft radius goes on around the Kineticist. This reduces the amount of Burn needed to perform Kinetic/Composite Blasts with whatever bonuses one might put on them.

They also get Infusions at various levels, these are like the Essence Invocations that altered Eldritch Blast. Many of these infusions have Burn which means the Kineticist is probably Gathering Power before most uses of them.

At 2nd level they get an elemental defense based off their element, the Air one gives some protection from arrows like one of the Warlock's Least Invocations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Having restarted NWN 2 recently I do wish it was a bit closer to actual rules for the Warlock. And I will likely build a Kineticist when the DLC comes out. Though I haven't been playing a lot recently as I was kind of waiting for some more fixes. I do really wish the Kineticist was built better though, and they didn't try to come up with Burn.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I have made somewhere between 10 and 20 characters. I have 114 hours. I also haven't gotten farther than maybe act 2. Alt-itis is a real thing.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oh that was a bug, when I saw people talking about it I thought it was actually intentional and people just generally hadn't noticed it was possible.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The thing is even D&D Paladins aren't that, and only terrible roleplayers/designers set them up like that. But yes Alignment in D&D is terrible garbage that shouldn't exist as it only hinders roleplaying and leads to stupid situations where a bastion of good goes around killing people because they are from an "evil" race rather than anything they have actually done.

I still prefer the idea of Paladins from Quest for Glory. And unfortunately I don't remember the lore behind the Diablo Paladins enough to know their ideals, but I just know they fight demons and heal people.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Just a reminder Normal difficulty is not a normal difficulty. For some reason they ramp up enemy stats and DCs on Normal. Easy would probably be closer to PnP Pathfinder levels for the enemies. Otherwise there are a bunch of sliders for individual difficulty settings.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
2-Handed Fighter. For 7 levels I believe. From there you might want to go Barbarian, perhaps Invulnerable Rager Barbarian. Basically any two-handed weapon user can make some good use of the two-handed fighter archetype.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Never had a chance to try the Mythic rules. I think I was disappointed in the lack of good shapeshifting options for non magical characters.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Maybe I missed it but I didn't seem to notice any stretch goals this time. Kind of like how the Goblin companion in the last game was a stretch goal. Just saw some social media goals instead.

Looks like they are pretty close to their goal though.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So they reached their goal and are now going to reveal Stretch Goals one at a time. First Stretch Goal is the Warpriest if they get $370k.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah the way they are doing Mythic sounds pretty good and kind of sounds like how Mythic probably should have worked in Pathfinder. That said I never had a chance to try out the Mythic rules, but I kept reading them and being like this doesn't do what I want. What about non spellcasting Shapeshifters? Etc.

The Gold Dragon and Worm that Walks both sound like interesting options.

Also the Lich stuff that doesn't involve spellcasting sounds nice.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So the one of three new race has been funded and next goal is evolving animal companions. Need 915k for that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Are we? Checking the Kickstarter page and it currently says $895,485 which is less than $915k and certainly not 300k more than that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well that sounds pretty interesting. Wonder what we will get for the new ones. Assuming we reach that goal but with the amount of time left I don't think we will fail to get it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think it is army management this time instead of kingdom building?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm have they revealed anything that would allow one to build a life leech on hit kind of build? Like Dhampir, maybe Lich?, melee class that steals life based off the damage they deal?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I know 5e has Vampiric Touch as a spell, I thought Pathfinder had something like that too. But it would be nice if you could build a character to do that without spells.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay so I wasn't remembering wrong. Now if only there was a build in PF: WotR that could do that passively, instead of casting a spell. Kind of just want to make a "Vampire" character who can just smack things and heal. I wouldn't be surprised if Lich has something like that as an option.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It sounded like they had listed some possible abilities for the Lich that seemed like you could maybe choose specific abilities as you leveled it and that were not actually abilities of Lichs in game.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man I would love a new Wizardry game with all the options of 7&8.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So looks like they are about 34k away from the 2 new romances. Also new update is kind of interesting for people who watch twitch/youtube videos of playthroughs.

quote:

Dear Pathfinders,

The Worldwound attracts a whole bunch of different people, and each one of them has their own reasons for joining the crusade. Sometimes you can meet someone totally unexpected on the streets of Kenabres! There’s a new rumor going around: they say that a noble sir, the brave adventurer and great streamer Cohh Carnage has joined the crusade! And we are absolutely thrilled with this co-op. You will be able to hear his voice during your adventure. But in what guise will he appear? Guess we’ll have to wait for Wrath of the Righteous to find out!

Cohh recorded a small video salute for our backers:

I actually think the Pathfinder: Kingmaker playthrough Cohh did was what got me into his videos.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I have thought about going back in and trying out a Slayer, especially since trying to build a non all skills added through Bag of Tricks Elementalist shows how terribad their skills are, but I have this thing where I am not sure how I would build one, or why I would play one instead of a Rogue. Especially in this game where Sneak Attack is so easy.

Also if Gestalt was a real thing for Pathfinder a Rogue Elementalist would be awesome for all the damage and actual good skills. Of course the Elementalist still has the Burn issue. But with Rogue you would at least get the Sneak Attack damage even if you can't quickly get the Composite Blasts.

Also Nok-Nok really made me wish playable Goblins, and Kobolds, were an actual thing.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Is it ludicrous Sneak Attack, it seemed considerably weaker than a Rogue's. Although maybe they could get more attacks than the Rogue but still.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Would have been nice if the Kingdom Building flowed better, and more importantly actually provided better bonuses. Going to all the effort to build a kingdom and cities and getting minor bonuses, mostly to resolving kingdom events, just doesn't feel worth it.

Of course I can't really deal with it much without Bag of Tricks to make the events take only 1 day.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I tried building a Slayer and I still am having trouble seeing why anyone would ever play one instead of a Rogue. Especially in Kingmaker.

I guess better BAB and easier chance at getting all those two weapon fighting feats. But their Sneak Attack seems so much worse. And in Kingmaker at least the extra sneak attack really comes in handy.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Was there a good list of announced archetypes for classes?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think I will take a look at these archetypes to see what they do. Though I too would love it if Lord Koth felt inclined to go into detail on them.

EDIT: Also really wondering what these Owlcat Custom archetypes will be like. Mutation Warrior sounds tempting.
EDIT2: Hmm it looks like there already is a Mutation Warrior archetype for Fighter. Not sure if they are using that or actually making a Custom archetype that happens to have the same name.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 23, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
You probably shouldn't be playing on normal? I mean normal is way more powerful than the actual tabletop rpg stats.

Otherwise yeah Bag of Tricks help a lot, Turn Based Mod can change things a bit too.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Kalas posted:

You can't do full respecs via the vanilla game for companions, they'll always come pre-set with at least a few levels and poor stats.

It's a shame she's stuck as Tower Shield Spec because if you wanted defense Alduri Defender has excellent AC, especially with a monk dip. (0 penalty defensive fighting with upwards of 15 AC with Crane added in)

There's a highly recommended Call of the Wild mod that fixes a lot of things, adds a ton of extra classes and changes your starting companion's classes to more useful things. (Valerie becomes a Vindictive Bastard aka Pissed Off Paladin).

Some characters are better then others. Ekun, Linzi and Nok-Nok are fine as is (especially Nok-Nok).

Hmm I think I heard Bloodrager was in that. How does that mod interact with Bag of Tricks or Turn Based mods?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I specifically increased my pledge by 15 dollars before the end of the kickstarter so I can try out the Alpha.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

sassassin posted:

I always kill Nok-Nok immediately.

What.. How could you possibly kill Nok-Nok? Were you playing a psycho killer who killed everything they came across?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay for those who have Alpha access where do you find the game key to enter in Steam? I seem to have missed the instructions on where to find it, and everywhere I have checked didn't seem to find it.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it after all.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 30, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So testing out a few builds in the alpha, one of which is a Cavalier. And apparently he started with no weapons or armor, and had some glitches with a spear I found.

But now I am wondering if I am missing something about Cavaliers or is it going to be an annoying limited time per day thing. Does a Cavalier have a way to share Teamwork Feats with their Mount, short of using the x/day Tactician ability?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Kobal2 posted:

Nope, but normally you can give your mount/pet feats as they level up, same as any character. Are they still using the KGM "you don't level or gear up pets but instead they have a massive innate buff" system ?

I haven't gotten very far in the alpha, but I didn't see an option to equip the mount, or use healing potions on it. Though I thought that was planned. It might not be in the alpha yet.

Its a pity the Crusader seemed built for working in concert with its mount, but clearly other classes/archetypes less focused on a mount will be better.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So for a Paladin's Lay on Hands when it says 1d6 for every 2 levels should it be 1d6 or 2d6 at third level? In the Alpha I noticed the Paladin healed a character for 1 HP.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Lord Koth posted:

Alright, pretty sure I've hit the end of the alpha. Reached a map screen similar to the normal overland Kingmaker one and started to advance along it, only for my marker to stop shortly thereafter and the movement buttons vanished as well. Everything else was still accessible though (character sheets, inventory, etc.). Not ENTIRELY certain that it wasn't a bug or something - and a note would have been helpful assuming it is the end - but I'm roughly around the furthest I thought the alpha was extending anyways.

It has been fairly interesting. There have been multiple story changes, including ones that may very well have major repercussions or choices later, and overall it has definitely kept my attention. The model work for enemies in the early areas seems mostly done, as I only recall one minor enemy that I suspect is using a placeholder model, and there has been a fairly good variety of enemies as well. Still a lot of probable art assets missing, but that is a very fast process to get in the game once it actually exists. As far as I can tell all descriptor text for enemies and the like isn't in either, but that's not exactly a priority for stability testing.

One overarching issue I am having is that a few areas have a LOT of burning fire in them, and it's definitely causing some slowdown when it's onscreen. Obviously this could be much more optimized in the coming months - or maybe I should just upgrade my computer - but even as-is it's livable.

edit: Nope, looks like I'm wrong - it just bugged out. Given the map actually does have a massive amount of placeholders on it, not too surprising I guess.

On a separate matter, because it has been mentioned in this thread previously as a good strategy for Kingmaker, don't get too attached to the Stinking Cloud + Communal Delay Poison combo for Wrath, as demons are completely immune to poison.

So since it seems like you are much further in the Alpha than I am, if not quite done, have you seen the various options for Mythic paths? I have only come across one thing that seemed like it would be picking the Aeon Mythic Path, but that seemed like it would probably be a bad fit for an Abyssal Bloodrager Tiefling. Not that I know enough about the Mythic Paths to figure out which ones would be best for each class.

How soon are the Mythic Paths available, where would one go to get one other than Aeon?

So far I have either been working, or spending too much time building characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Lord Koth posted:

The short answer is, not for a while.

I actually just finished a playthrough today and the alpha goes through the full assault on Drezen, so if you've not reached the Wardstone yet then there's a LOT to go. Anyways, in regards to Mythic Paths it's... odd. The actual Mythic Paths as advertised aren't actually available until you finish Drezen... basically at the point where you hit Mythic Hero lvl 3. There is a selection to be made at the Wardstone too, which does give some unique abilities based on which one you choose, but I'm not certain if the selection you make there has any real effect outside of those.

This is only a single playthrough so far, so no idea for certain on what modifies what or leads to different paths being available at the end. I did hear where the trigger for making the Lich path available is through the community (it's not a default option), but didn't actually activate it. I'm aware of the Aeon thing you're talking about, and would assume that's the trigger for opening up that Mythic Path as well. I personally had Angel and Trickster available at the end, and Demon's probably another one that is incredibly easy to get (you get a few mandatory story book moments that very much look like they're probably the trigger for that one).

So that's three easily available, two that have definite missable triggers (Aeon and Lich), and one that I suspect has a missable trigger as well (Azata). Conveniently that's a goodish/neutral/evilish option available by default, and then you need to actually find something for the others. Dragon/Swarm were confirmed not to be in, and I don't know if Legendary Hero is either.

Okay just finished the Worldstone recently and had some serious choice paralysis. Especially since I wasn't sure if the unlimited rage mythic feat would work for Bloodragers, but it seems it does.

Also now I really want to play a Druid and a Kineticist because of some of those feats/abilities.

I almost picked a Demon ability to start but its 2nd tier ability would basically be wasted once my character gets to 20th level, which obviously isn't happening in the alpha but still. I did make at least one choice where I gave in to an inner voice and convinced some likely cultists to run off and set an explosive up in a room I later came to, where I watched them accidentally blow up a whole room of enemies. So I would not be surprised if I get Demon as an option for Path later.

I did not take on the Aeon thing when I got the dagger because I was afraid it might lock me into that Path, but now I am wondering if that is indeed the case.