Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
'Kinda annoying' sums up my overall experience with the game so far. It feels like they stuck too closely to the Pathfinder ruleset without much consideration for how the mechanics shake out in a RTWP game.

I wouldn't call it bad, it's just gradually making me want to go back and finish Pillars of Eternity instead.

Semi-related, has anyone found a way to adjust character stats without editing the save? I'm not happy with my PC's or the charisma fighter's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Gorelab posted:

This game feels like it needed another balance pass or two, any semi-uniqueish monster feels like it's massively more powerful than it should be, both by generally being a right pain to affect with spells or hit and by doing way more damage than stuff at that level should be doing. Not helping matters is that it feels like stats on everything are pointlessly obscured along with tooltips generally being pretty bad which makes planning out feats a pain in the rear end.

Also using P&P skill checks in a CRPG feels real bad, especially when going off as swingy a system as D20. It works fine when a GM isn't going to screw you, it feels horrible when you just reload because something went bad.

Also holy crap why is movement so slow even with no encumberance.

I really like the kingdom building stuff as a conceit, and it's nice to have a CRPG that focuses more on it but holy heck everything else just feels so rough.

This game's balance feels incredibly hosed. I'm level six, cruising through a dungeon doing fine against all the traps/fights and then I get to the boss fight against a caster and fighter. The caster has 33 AC and machine guns Blind, Hold Person, and Magic Missile while the fighter attacks three or four times per round at +27 for 2d6+27-ish each. I'm not entirely sure how to approach the fight at this point.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Dilber posted:

I beat that encounter on normal at level 6. Buff your party first. Haste, barkskin, bless, heroism etc etc. Dispel his haste if you can. Octavia was great for scorching Ray plus sneak damage.

Edit: boss, not road encounter.

Taear posted:

I'm assuming you're talking the trolls? I have no idea how the gently caress I'd have done that not on Story. I'm level 7 and it was still extremely difficult when it's on Story mode.

I gave it another try on Normal and managed to barely win. My last attempts were pretty well buffed but I was down a few spells from previous fights so I trudged out of the dungeon to rest and came back with a full load of spells which ended up not mattering at all.

I buffed and went in throwing dispel magics to try and strip the haste off them, but only got a single cast off before being obliterated by the troll. What saved me was Ekun landed several 80-ish damage crits on the troll, killing it after it downed 4 of my party. He then proceeded to roll even more 20's on Tartuk while Octavia threw telekinetic fists and scorching rays. All in all the fight was stupid and bad and I only won because I was insanely lucky.

Edit: Unrelated question, is there a way to force your party to not eat rations from your pack, and instead hunt for all of them? It's incredibly irritating not being able to rest in a dungeon because your assholes ate all the food instead of hunting for it when they had the opportunity.

caedwalla fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 1, 2018

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I want to be able to respec characters without having to fiddle with manual save editing. gently caress half your companions having an exotic weapon proficiency, garbage stats, weird subclasses, etc. My PC has some useless feats as well because I wasn't clear on some things and I only realized how useless they were much later.

Despite all the flaws and bugs I keep playing it, because I am an idiot. I just can't recommend it to anyone else.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Poil posted:

I think you can change companions stats with the savegame editor but I haven't tried it so it could be impossible. It would be kinda amusing to change Valerie to lawful good and give her a level of paladin under her favorite goddess though.

Is it an actual program or just editing the jsons? You can do it via the party.json it's just a huge pain in the rear end. I swapped my PC's strength and dexterity after deciding to hit things with a glaive instead of just throwing bombs as an alchemist but editing Valerie's was even more annoying.

Keeshhound posted:

On this topic, has there ever been a crpg where the deault companion builds were actually pretty good?

I don't recall having any serious issues with PoE 1's companions though I haven't played 2.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Latest patch made the main menu super slow for me, couldn't load my save from it, hopefully it's not gone!

I can't load either of my two most recent saves. It doesn't crash or lock up, it just loads endlessly.

gently caress this terrible game good lord.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Well, even after their extra patch today I still can't load any of my saves. Delightful!

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Not a Step posted:

absurd but tedious

That's a fair description of a number of the game's systems. I beat the crag linnorm at level 8 and my reward was a magical top hat and an unimpressive mace.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Eox posted:

The Fast Bombs discovery you can take when you get your first iterative lets you full attack with bombs, and Rapid Shot works with them since they count as a ranged weapon. Manyshot is bows only, and I'm not sure if two weapon fighting works with them like it does in the tabletop.

My PC is a level 9 grenadier and for the past few levels, bombs have felt super underwhelming. On paper 5d6+4 a couple times a round is impressive but it can be fiddly to use and compared to Nok Nok, Ekundayo and Octavia the damage is really underwhelming.

In fairness half my feat choices are abysmal but them's the breaks since respecs aren't a thing.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Let's all just take a deep breath and agree that the game is a terrible, bug ridden mess that we keep playing and discussing for reasons that are not readily apparent.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Poil posted:

-Is there a way to make my party members wait outside while I visit the nymph chambers because I can't survive the trip all the way out there alone.

No, you have to trek solo. I wouldn't worry about that quest until later, it doesn't seem to impact much of anything. Bring vanish or invisibility potions when you do go.

quote:

-I have a quest about a hill that is ticking down towards failure, but absolutely no direction whatsoever what to do about it. Visited the place and is just an empty area with nothing to interact with besides a magnifying glass icon on a pillar saying I can't read the writing.

The quest is just a placeholder for a timer. You'll be notified when you do need to go there so just do whatever until then.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The steam global achievements attest to that! Oh and that none of the artisan quests work either.

Speaking of achievements, how could someone even accomplish this? Kiting it around the map for an hour and a half, I guess?

code:
Slayer of Bears
In chapter 1, kill the bear in the Temple of the Elk with single level 2 character, playing on Hard difficulty or above.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I gave up after thirtyish hours. It's a buggy mess and so many of the design choices/systems are lovely that the game is firmly in Bad Game for Idiots territory.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

GoluboiOgon posted:

i love what i've seen of the new dlc and the new companion, except that in order to fix a bug where they accidentially gave everyone the dlc, they patched it so that some people (including me) can't use the dlc after buying it. so now i can't continue with any of the saves that i had, or make kineticists or tieflings.

so much for delaying the patch for a week in order to do quality control

This is probably the most insane sequence of events I have ever read re: a video game patch. Holy poo poo.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Affi posted:

So what are the hazards of respeccing through nexus? I kinda want to fix a few build mistakes I made that annoy me but I don't really want to gently caress everything up.

I used it a few weeks ago and it worked fine. Just make a backup save and you should be good.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
There used to be a mod on the nexus to increase movespeed to something reasonable in locations and on the world map. Before I quit playing it made things much more bearable.

Which just reminded me of all the times Harrim got stuck in a web trap or spell and could not possibly pass the save and CMD/grapple or whatever check to escape. Pretty sure I left him covered in thick ropes for three quarters of a dungeon because he just could not loving move on more than one occasion. The first freedom of movement item I found went straight on that rear end in a top hat specifically because of that.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Olesh posted:

In fairness, this was the agreement to allow the unscrupulous wizard living in the woods to continue owning and torturing the troll he had purchased and kept imprisoned, in exchange for said wizard's continued assistance. That troll which, if you speak to it, begs for death.

It's possible I'm remembering incorrectly but to your wizard doing experiments in the wood example,

I remember telling him to stop torturing trolls and half my party got upset and I may have shifted towards a chaotic alignment. Especially funny was Valerie throwing a fit about how I was breaking the law, despite the fact that the PC is the lawful lord of the region.

That encounter was when I decided/realized the game wasn't well written or internally consistent even with the silliness of PF's alignment system.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Rascyc posted:

You must've picked something else, like maybe threatened him or something, because I just told him to stop and nobody got upset with me except for him. I thought that encounter went pretty much how I expected with my choices in D&D land.

Really I've encountered no surprises or very deep storytelling in my alignment picks. Feel like once you've seen a few D&D stories, you've seen them all and that's been the same here. What I didn't expect were just how many people are just liars or completely mistaken about everything when telling you about their problems.

I think I told him to stop and kill it, judging by some other forum posts on the topic. Valerie was definitely unhappy.

I generally disliked the setting and how generic fantasy nonsense everything felt to me.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
NPCs get bonuses to the stat modifier instead of the stat itself. It's why a goblin can have 8 strength but a +4 STR modifier on attacks in the combat log. One of the difficulty settings controls the extent of the bonuses.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

JamMasterJim posted:

It's not hard and the game lets you buy scrolls to reset the alignment.
But you should heed your trusted advisors

[url=https://ibb.co/mTkBvS8][timg]https://i.ibb.co/2hx685N/ekuninanutshell.png[--/timg][--/url]
[url=https://carinsuranceguru.org/is-it-possible-to-buy-a-car-and-insurance-for-a-tourist-in-the-u-s]car insurance america tourist[--/url]

Have you considered an imagehost that doesn't include links to car insurance websites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Gorelab posted:

I think they toned down a lot of the weird inflation on normal since launch. On launch though normal was weirdly harder than default pen and paper and it felt like they basically listened to the super hard core to balance what should be a not too hard mode.

If I remember correctly from launch, they did some insane poo poo with the stat adjustments (even on normal) where enemies would get both +4 to a stat and +4 to that stat's modifier for a total of +6 to anything related. The higher the difficulty the higher the bonus, which made things terrible until people figured out their extremely granular difficulty adjustments.

Hopefully the sequel is more "PF:KM as it is today" than "PF:KM at launch" cause hoo boy this game was rough.