Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I just hit level 6 and am starting to build my kingdom and this all makes the game so much better than the other CRPGs out. Every RPG should allow you to build an awesome kingdom.

The game is difficult though. I chose the difficulty step one level above the standard difficulty and some fights are insanely tough. If my main character wasn't an Evoker who casts Fireballs 2 levels higher than he should, I'm not sure how I would have dealt with certain fights (and when he was low level it was magic missiles, so many things died to magic missiles that none of the other characters could even hit)

Octavia looked bad to me as a person who never really played much Pathfinder, but holy hell, being able to sneak attack with cantrip spells is pretty drat good she ended up putting out a lot more damage than I thought she would. It does suck that she's still a 1/2 a level below the rest of the party though, even after training her as the kingdom project.

Taear posted:

The whole game is very slow. Loading is slow, moving around the world map is slow, resting is slow, walking is slow. I had to do the entire banquet when I got the kingdom in slow walking because I was exhausted which was SUPER annoying.

You can disable the slow movement penalty due to encumbrance in the difficulty menu, which should make you walk at normal speed during that part even though you are exhausted.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

The pathfinding in the game is so rubbish. When you're in a wide open field with two rocks why is it all your characters want to run through the rocks instead of just going around?
This happens to me LOADS, probably because I have an animal companion and it's just so irritating.

I do agree, if there's ONE thing Pathfinder should have done better, it's pathfinding.

About Kingdom mode Where do I get a Financial advisor? I have explored all of the north area and a decent amount of the area with the troll infestation and still have no financial advisor but would really like one.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

West of the capital in a river ford. I think you have to do the troll stuff first?

Oh, the gnome? Yea, he's just hanging out there for now, I guess I know what I'll do next then

Zodiac5000 posted:

Thank god they adjusted the DR on the treant bear, because holy poo poo that thing was insane before. That area is actually what drove me to adjust the difficulty down to Story at points, because I was fighting it on normal and really, really not impressed watching my damage be literally nil.

I didn't notice any of these difficulty spikes, but every tough fight for me was "send Valerie and her 30 AC in first then unload every Magic Missile spell on whatever it is until it dies" until I met the horror that are wererats (who are for some reason immune to Magic Missile, and no they didn't cast the Shield spell)

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

Here's a hint that I had no idea about - if a character falls unconcious you can bring them back by just magically healing them. I thought you'd need something special.

If your main character isn't an arcane spell caster it's a bit of time before you've got one though. And it's an arse having to manually cast spells honestly.

You can right click on a spell on the hotbar and your character will use that as his auto-attack until he can't cast it anymore.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Datasmurf posted:

Well, then. Cleared chapter 3 and have 48 hours in this silly game. And it's almost 5 AM, I'm going to work in 4 hours, so that was a wise decision. This game really needs an ingame clock for people like me who can't stop playing. :P

Also, my barony will get wiped by an arcane phenomenon in two months (I skipped ahead, and it straight up destroyed my kingdom, so I had to reload), how do I defeat that? And Tristian went rogue on me in during the boss fight for chapther 3, will I ever get another char that can fill the counsilor spot, or am I hosed?

drat, I feel like I've played a LOT and am just now in the Womb of Lamashtu I feel like a noob now. I am still enjoying this game a lot despite the naysayers though.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

On challenging, even with protection from energy, they can pile on damage on everyone quite fast and they are dodgy fuckers. They are nowhere near the worst encounter, but they drain a lot of spells.

I'm on challenging as well, I feared the caster and then summoned a horde of undead to let him try and chop through while Ekun and Octavia just dps'd him down, then the caster was cake.

I find there aren't many enemies that can deal with a horde of undead.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 1, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I think that is the third chapter

It's Chapter II, and I'm stuck at the very end of it. I am in the Other World, after I cleared out the Womb of Lamashtu and I am in an area with mist to my north, mist to my south and a door in the middle. The door leads to a room with an Enraged Primal Owlbear Treant and I already went in and killed it and looted the place, but there were no other exits.

If I go through the mist cloud to the north, it teleports me to the south one. If I go through the south one, it teleports me to the north one. Sometimes there is a hand icon in the middle hill, but I can't reach it from anywhere I put my characters, sometimes the hand icon isn't there (when I look at the map, there's a bag icon sometimes and it's not there other times and it doesn't seem dependent on which teleporter I used to get me to this same piece of map)

Did I find a game breaking bug?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

There are two versions of that area I would shed more light on that.. but I think I'll leave you in darkness .. and I'll give you a hint. When it comes to avian creatures time does not heal all wounds, so you will have to give the creature of air the next best thing to a burial at sea.

(I had to guide dang it to figure it out.. hope the hints help you figure out what to do.. pm me if you want explicit spoilers)

I did figure it out, thank you! The issue was, I had managed to get into that area and didn't have the lantern (not sure how I managed it) so apparently I was just stuck there forever due to that fact. I re-loaded an earlier save and managed to figure the rest out.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Spoilery question for people who've finished the Troll Trouble questline:

So, the final boss fight with Tartuk and Hargutha the troll king. Whichever one of them you kill second starts a conversation with you, where you have the choice to ask them questions, show them mercy, or just finish them off.

Because I'm me and I wanted to figure out what the gently caress was going on with "Tartuk" and why he was still alive after I killed him the first time, I went through his dialog trees, but I had no intention of letting him live so I elected to kill him rather than let him go - at which point he healed to full and I had to beat him down again. Both of them do this, actually - the first time I did that fight I killed Tartuk first, so Hargutha got the last words dialogue - and then when I decided to kill him he'd "regenerated" so he was back at full life and of course proceeded to beat what was left of my party into the ground - so now I always (try to) kill the troll first.)

So my question is - has anyone just not bothered asking either of them anything and just killed them immediately when the dialogue came up, and if so do they still do that?

I talked to Tartuk and ended up freeing him and allowing him to keep the area to turn into a Kobold city. I went back a bit later and it's still the same. Tartuk himself says he doesn't remember what happens other than he woke up stuck permanently in his kobold form and his memories of Tartuccio are quickly fading.

Agnostalgia posted:

I named my character Octavia and now I've recruited an Octavia and this is confusing. The same loving thing happened to me in Persona 5, more games need to stop me from doing that like Dragon Quest does.

I chose the same portrait that Tartuccio has which caused a lot of confusion in certain parts when they tell you to choose a character and just show the portraits.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Eox posted:

Failing three consecutive Lawful Evil Intimidate/Diplomacy checks during the (Chapter 3 spoilers)riot caused by the Bloom was great because it reads like I just threw a tantrum and then killed thirty peasants with one Explosive Bomb.

This was me too, but fireball. Seriously, peasants should think twice about rioting against a Baron who can cast fireballs, it's really not a great strategy.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

The latter is a pretty personal question to be asking of someone you've known for all of a day, though.

Some people would ask without hesitation. My roommate is one such person. He's the type that will immediately say the first thought that comes into his brain with absolutely no filter or consideration of the feelings of the person he's asking.

I'm not saying it's the right or wrong thing to do, just that there are certain types of people who would absolutely ask that question, so why not allow it as an option. That's the fun of roleplaying for some people. Being able to do things that you'd never even consider doing IRL.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Also, a good sign that the devs are really trying here, they have released two hotfixes so far today, both have potential quest/story spoilers:

Hotfix 5

Hotfix 6

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

Octavia does it automatically if you let the game level her. Otherwise they're quite low down and I never even look at them, I just clicked on the class they're already on to level them up.

I'm going to say that if it was turn based I might pay more attention but as it is with 4 spellcasters that all have huge spell libraries I just barely ever cast any spells because it's so much loving hassle. I don't even buff. There's too much going on and no reason to care. Like it's not going to make these fights more fun, it'll just make them take longer and this game is all about things taking long enough as it is!

Just got myself a weapon called Dogsilcer +1. I'm not sure if it's meant to be called silcer, perhaps it is. The description says "Nais, sharp, edgeeee" anyway, so maybe it is deliberate, who knows with this game.

I think that's intended, at least I assumed it was. It's an exemplary speciman of Goblin weapon design after all!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Depends on your dex and whatever you're shooting at. Magic users generally suck rear end early game dnd until they get to lv 5-6 depending on class and then they start pulling ahead.

I've been experimenting with char editor on a half orc melee vivisectionist and pure vivi seems like a pretty crazy subclass. 75% resist to crits, free bite attack at full bab, +8's and 6's to whatever the gently caress you want, sneak attacks up the wazoo, tons of magic buffs if the mutagen wasn't enough, can convert discoveries into more combat feats. Almost tempted to play through with him instead of my sorc

Edit: Oh, I guess dex does matter for ranged touch attacks.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

The companions in this game truly stink and custom party is where it's at.

Ekun and Octavia are all-stars. Harim and Tristian are usable since they are both clerics. The rest do suck, but I don't hate Valerie as much as others since I just buff the hell out of her and send her in first to hold aggro while the clerics summon as many undead/monsters as I need to tank any adds while Ekun, Octavia and my main character are the ones who just murder everything from range.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Nok-Nok is loving disgusting, and can be even better if you start leveling him into vivisectionist along the way. And like, you know they did it on purpose - the story area really wants to come with you for has has two magical kukri's almost explicitly designed for him to use from the weapon names to the type of weapon they are.

The problem with Nok-Nok is he has to be in melee, and whenever I get him anywhere near an enemy he seems to quickly explode into a fine red mist. On the rare occasion the enemies leave him alone for a few seconds though, you are right, he does explode enemies quite nicely.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Washout posted:

I have never seen a player who took an opposite sex character be anything but horrible. It ranks up there with child characters.

I know a couple of guys who always play female characters and do just fine. Also had a friend who played a 12 year old kid super inventor in a Mutants and Masterminds game we had and he did great as well.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I kept putting off going solo with my main character because I didn't want to be bothered to go back to town, take everyone out of my party and then go back out (I didn't know you could change party members on the fly back when I got that quest) so I put it off and put it off and all of the sudden I hit the end of Chapter 2. After that I figured it'd be a real bad idea to go there by myself and never did.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I think I'm going to start this up again now that I hear most of the campaign killing bugs are squashed. I think I'm going to use just my main character and 4 mercs and then whatever NPC I need for whatever questline I decide I'm on. What is the best 5 person, all-pet-having group with 5 unique classes? Thinking Druid for my main and Ranger is obvious (though I guess I could wait for Ekun for a ranger...) what about the other 3?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I made my whole pet party (Fey Druid, Mad Dog Barbarian, Cleric of Erastil, Sylvan Sorcerer and gave Linzy a level in that as well just so I can use her as a skill monkey and still have a pet, I need to disarm traps and unlock chests) with your guys' help, thank you all!

However, I triggered the finger of death trap by the sycamore with one of my bears and he went super dead. I had to raise dead on him and then quit the game and start again to get him to follow again. Now whenever he gets knocked down, he goes perma-dead again. Anyone know how I can fix that or am I stuck with a dead bear 99% of the time?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

A proper rest should fix that.

I rested at the inn 3 times, didn't work, bear was still dead as a doornail. That's when I used the raise dead scroll on him and he was STILL dead, so then I saved, closed out the game, re-loaded it and the bear was back, but like I said, every time he gets knocked down again he goes full on dead again now.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

Wouldn't Linzi's pet be super low level that way? Think boon companion only get it +4 levels to compensate for Rangers and Animal Domain pets.

Maybe find out which pet is dead and respec that character with the respec mod to clear whatever bug is hitting it.

Yea, I just did it to keep the theme and the rest of the party is overpowered enough that it makes up for the difference.

I might have to try the respec mod and see if I change to a non-pet class, then change back, if it clears that bug, that's a good idea.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So, I went through all of Troll Trouble and never found Ekun. I'm into the [spoiler]seeds[spoiler] part of the story and still haven't seen him. I looked online and it says he's at the ruined tower but I've scoured that map and he's nowhere. Did I miss him for good? Do I need to make another Merc now to be my ranger? Only having 5 animal companions is really hurting the flavor of my all-pet group!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

that ineffect guy suggested a similar build (with a dip into vivisectionist). maybe I'll try that. or a pet class. having a bear friend really seems like the best way to play any game...

I can confirm that if you have 6 pets, it really doesn't even matter what classes are standing behind them for the most part.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I beat the golems by using my standard method of "fill the room with skeletal champions and whittle them down from range" that I use for most of the big bads I run into.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

Spoken like someone who's forgotten the vampire dungeon(s). And the shade dungeons. And the Illithid dungeons. And the goddamn beholder dungeons that could seriously go gently caress themselves with a rake unless you had the *one* item that made them tolerable (and then they were just a huge, long waste of time) ;)
Don't get me wrong, I love BG2 to bits... but it was far from perfect or free from grindy stuff. BG1 was even worse about it at times - remember how fun that supertrapped ice maze was, with the 1-inch wide corridors seemingly designed to destroy any semblance of pathfinding ? Good times...

The illithid dungeon was so miserable. I made an unkillable greatsword wielding Weapon Master fighter but I tanked his int as low as it would go. I had to do that dungeon with just companions with my all-star sitting at the beginning of the map, because the instant one of the mind flayers would see me, I'd instantly go to 0 int and die.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

You can also do a nice Ranger doomstack. Pets are pretty broken in this game and can tank most enemies while your Rangers just rain down arrows on all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I was catching up on this thread and saw many people cursing out the annoying crystals that just perma-stun your whole party. If you are a lich and take the ability that lets you drain 1 point of str/dex/con or 1 point of int/wis/cha whenever you hit with a spell and choose the second one, you can instantly kill all of the crystals with one spell because apparently they only have 1 of one of those mental stats. That ability with magic missile spam is great also, because every cast you'll drain a ton of stats from the target, which will weaken anything that isn't immune to magic missile very fast.