Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The monk AC bonus should include a further prerequisite. F.ex that you have to use monk weapons or unarmed, though that would not cover spellcasters who monk dip. I am just tired of making characters and then realizing that if I just go lawful and drop armor and dip monk it will just get a lot better, no matter what kind of character I am trying to create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I don't really like the multiclassing in the pathfinder system as implemented in Kingmaker. It seems ridiculous that the optimal way of building almost all characters includes a level of alchemist (usually vivisecionist to get sneak attack) and monk dips. Actually I don't like the idea of dips at all. I think it was in 3rd ed D&D that where you had to keep the primary classes within one level of each other to avoid penalties. Meaning you could make a Fighter/Thief, but you had to level them up together. I think this mess of a system would get better with that rule.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
This is where I always get into trouble because for me it is very hard to do something if I know it is not the optimal way of doing it. So as I know my character would get better by monk dipping I can't ignore it. Which is why I prefer the system itself to be better designed. The "Just don't do it" argument is a good one, but it doesn't work on me.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Yes I stand corrected. My memory was faulty.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Olesh posted:

I think it's really lame that as a wizard I can't use strength as my casting stat.

Come challenge the Eldritch Grimoire of Swole! I cast fist!

That Might gives +damage to spells in PoE is so wierd. I know it is to make to make attributes balanced, but I still can't like it. No idea what it represents.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
So for you who have the alpha. Does the game seem improved? Or is it more of the same. Just wondering if I should consider this as an expansion pack to the first game.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
It is just different tastes. I found PoE to have a depressing mood and could not enjoy it. Especially the first game. Kingmaker is lighter and doesn't take itself so seriously so I prefer it.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have played a bit. I like it. As far as I can tell their turn-based integration is very similar to the mod. Though I never used the mod though so I am not sure. What I noticed is that some fights get a lot harder and some get easier by using turn-based. And I think they have made some changes to the AI too. F.ex when attacking Tartuccio under the tree his fireball used to target the closest of your party members but now he seems to switch target to at least try not to hit himself with it.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
You do have time to grab one region before the first crisis comes so I would do that but remember kingdom stuff like that takes time. For that reason do not level up the kingdom stats at the start like the kingdom tutorial wants you to do because you might miss the start of the first crisis and that is not good. Have plenty of time to do that after you have dealt with the first crisis and the main quest of the second chapter.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
There is 3 scenarios here that I can think of that causes this:

1. The programmers failed to program a good 1-20 random number generator

2. They deliberately put in abnormal streaks to gently caress with the players for shits and giggles

3. It is just bad luck

I am gonna go with it is just bad luck.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Quick and small guide:

The best way to play a pure paladin in pathfinder is to use 2-handed weapons. Using 1-handed and shield makes you do a lot less damage and there are classes who tank a lot better and you will start with a companion that is focused on tanking. Joining at the end of the intro dungeon.

Of the subclasses of paladins I think Hospitalier is the best because you get a lot of AoE healing and immune to death effects later which is more useful than more Smite Evils in my opinion.

I would go human as it lets you tank your Int while still getting 2 skill points per level. Of course this ignores roleplaying as the game does not recognice that you are stupid at all so not for everyone.

My suggested stat spread for a human hospitalier would be:

Str 16

Dex 11

Con 14

Int 7

Wis 10

Cha 19

When leveling I would put the stat points you get into Charisma and the skill points into Persuation and Perception.

Notice that I keep Dex and Wis at a relatively low level. Dex because you will wear heavy armor anyway which lowers the impact of dex bonuses and you don't have enough feats to take all you want so makes no sense to raise it to qualify for Dex feats. And Wis is not important because you will get insane bonuses to your will save because of the paladin talent Divine Grace at lv 2.

For feats I would go for Power Attack and Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Fauchard as the two first feats and then (3) Weapon Focus: Fauchard - (5) Outflank - (7) Cornugon Smash (9) Improved Critical: Fauchard - (11) Dazzling Display - 13) Dreadful Carnage. After that I would just take whatever. Maybe Skill Focus: Persuation fits best as it synergizes with Dreadful Carnage and Cornugon Smash.

I chose Fauchard as main weapon because it is the best reach 2-handed weapon in the game. Reach makes you able to melee stuff from a distance which is very useful for hiding behind a tank.

Edit: I forgot about Cornugon Smash

Hryme fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 12, 2020

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Oh I forgot about Cornugon Smash in my small guide. Definately get that at lv 7 pushing back the other feats. And taking Scaled Fist as Roadie recommends is more optimal but that is not a pure paladin. If you chose to take 1 level of monk remember that you need higher dex than what I recommended to qualify for the dodge feat. At least 13 but that build benefits from even higher dex.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 12, 2020

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The price for the beta is a bit steep. Guess I will wait until summer.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Amiri can hunt. Not great at it but she can do it. Best is to bring rations with you. And then open options and check the use rations thing. You will get a full rest after 9 hours even if your hunter fails to get anything.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
114$ for beta access is so over the top. I am sure they would get a lot more attention if they set it at a more reasonable price point. I can afford it and I like the first game a lot, I just don't want to encourage that kind of gouging.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
GSF? Tower Shield Fighter?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The new Instinctual Warrior Barbarian kit seems powerful. Because you can get Wis to AC and use a shield at the same time. Monks Wis to AC gets removed if you equip a shield. Going to try a game with one as main tank.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Might make for a better dip class for shifter druids then over Monk, if you can still equip armor and wear a shield and get the wisdom to AC bonus you can still be a presence out of shapeshift.

Currently in the beta the Instinctual Warriors Wis to AC still works if you have armor equipped. But that is clearly a bug as the ability description says you have to be unarmored. However it does not mention shields (the similar monk ability does). And as they start with shield proficiency I think it is intended that it works with shields.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

I can't quite figure out how to use trip in this game, can you not do it with reach weapons? Feels like when I turn it on my character waddles into combat and then proceeds to fail every time.

As far as I can tell trip has the same reach as unarmed. So if you want to trip from a distance you have to increase your size through enlarge person. It is not tied to the reach you have on your main weapon.

Same applies if you get bite attacks from some source like the motherless thiefling or from barbarian rage. You also have to go up close and personal to bite.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Finesse works on offhand period because it's keyed to weapon type rather than hand. That's the beauty of Unchained Rogue.

ETA : like, if I was to guess I would vouch that that feat pick is supposed to be symptomatic of Woljif being FiShMaLk UnPrEdIcTaBle (and also a loving idiot). As someone who didn't mind Valerie's stat spread one bit, I can even understand.
But not sympathize. Oh no. That, no. He'll pay for that stupid loving feat at some point, you mark my Neutral Evil words. He's the first skellington raised if I have any say in the matter.

That is not correct in the game. When dual wielding finesse weapons with the rogue dex to damage ability the offhand damage from dex is halved unless you take the double slice feat. Nok Nok also had Double Slice in Kingmaker for this reason.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Mercrom posted:

It's hard to believe this game had a public beta.

Most bugs has been reported by the beta testers, but they had to get the game out the door at the predetermined relase date. Probably because of financial reasons (I don't really know this, just a guess). As the last beta was broken in many ways they have fixed a lot more of it than I thought they would get around to in one month.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Your napkin math is kinda forgetting the fact that Archmage Armor can staple on enormous Dexterity modifiers, whereas the +5 full plate cannot. Also +5 fullplate is 13, not 14.

No it is 14 . 9 + 5 is 14. Half plate has a base of 8. Full plate has a base of 9. You can add 1 dex bonus with normal full plate. With mithril that goes up to 3. If you have some fighter levels you can get more of your dex towards AC too. Kobal2 is correct here. If Magic Vestment adds on top of a +5 full plate it can get high.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know if magic vestment can stack it over +5. Not at the point in my game where I can check it yet. Don't need monk to get Crane Style though. I have it on my cleric without monk dip (just took improved unarmed strike manually as a feat)
'

Hryme fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 13, 2021

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The reason this was brought up is that the developers were showing they didn't understand the system they were working with by being absolutely confounded by the idea that anyone would want mythic feats to make armor scale better, in case anyone has lost sight of the point.

Yeah but you got replies because you were certain his "napkin math" was wrong when you in fact had no clue what you were talking about.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Crusader S rank, Oracle B, yeah sure okay

I don't think they know crusader loses 1 spell per spell level.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
+22 sounds low. Think it is higher on core. I had huge problems too when I first encountered those murdercats in beta. Very hard to AC tank them. Nowadays I just sacrifice skeletons to take the hits. Though have to kill them fast as they clean up the chaff quick. I find it easier in turn-based.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
She is great when dual wielding (and rapid firing) throwing axes. Be sure to take weapon finesse even though that seems to be not needed so you can take epic weapon finesse. Will make both hit and damage scale from dex on the throwing axes. This can be built sneak attack focused by going into slayer f.ex or just by continuing as a fighter and adding pure damage through weapon specialization. I had her as a pure fighter doing this in a game and her damage output was insane.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 19, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Oh and a benefit to at least getting the wis to hit on Lann is that you can enlarge (and legendary proportion him) with a less effect on his ability to hit stuff, as his dex does not matter. There is a minor to hit penalty from the size increase itself. He runs around permanently enlarged in my games. It is also good that you can spec him in shortbows and after level 5 as a monk the shortbows damage will scale up to be equal to the composite longbows. As there are quite a few good shortbows in the game.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 19, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: I confused something and don't want to fix it.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 4, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
In wrath metamagic for sorcerer changes the casting time. From standard action to full round. In turn based that is okay but not viable in real time mode. I don't know if that was the case in kingmaker though.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Hideous Laughter with heighten on my enchantment forcused sorcerer is really powerful. Best Jokes can make a whole room fall to the ground. Almost no demons are immune to a good laugh. Had to let other party members handle the 24hour buffs tough. But I play turn based in hard fights.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 29, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Wow for the first time I went with a fighter class general instead of a mage in crusader mode. What a disaster. I have to restart the game from before hiring the general it seems. Maybe in a month or two because I don't wanna redo those areas now.

I can't pass the fights with opposing generals without crippling losses. And when I can't use the fire spells to delete the dangerous enemies early some of the units in the other fights are ridicolous. Like the swarms who just stunlock my units by moving over them. Now I realize what people said when they said that crusade mode is terrible. I just thought it was easy, but that is because the mage generals are way overpowered at least compared to the fighter generals.

I think this whole system could use another balance pass, but unlikely that will ever happen.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
For a human paladin-like I would go with 19 str 10 dex 12 con 10 int 10 wis 16 cha. Add all stat points to str. I am assuming here that the special abilities of this mod class is dependant on cha like it is for the paladin class. This build would be a damage dealer. The problem is that it is not a good tank at all. In a pinch it can offtank a bit but it is best used with a two-handed reach weapon to deal damage from a distance. If you want to be able to tank okay you need 13 dex to take dodge and 13 int to take combat expertise. And you would need improved unarmed strike so you can take crane style. This would cut down on the damage potential of the class and basically force you into a sword and board style play.

The statline for this would be 17 Str 13 dex 12 con 13 int 10 wis 16 cha. And I would take martial diciple as background to get improved unarmed strike for free to help qualify for crane style. Because paladin (and I assume this) is feat starved compared to a fighter.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 24, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Con at 12 is enough for core in Wrath. Because you will have characters in your party with 12 con their fatigue from travelling will kick in and you will need to rest at the same time. And a bigger health pool is not that important. As a two handed damage dealer you will get obliterated if you have to main tank, and the best way to mitigate that is not a higher health pool but spells like dispacement and blur (assuming you fight something that doesn't see through those spells). If you do fight something really nasty where illusion spells do not help tanking with summons is the easiest.

For paladins cha is more important because of smite evil especially when you can share it with the entire party. I am not sure if this mod class has similar abilities. But in any case cha is more useful than con as it adds to all your saves and not just fortitude.

For a two handed damage dealer weapon focus and power attack are excellent feats. The best weapon type are reach weapons because you can damage enemies over the head of your tank. Glaives, bardiches and fauchard. Of these Fauchard is the best stat and critwise but requires an exotic weapon feat so I would just go with Glaives. Lots of good ones in this game.

But you can also use normal two handed weapons like greatswords, greataxes and falchions at the cost of having to get up close and personal to deal the damage. This will make you take more damage than when you can hide behind a tank. The spell Enlarge can help and later on you can get your mage to cast it on you permanently. Of the normal up close two-handed weapons falchion is the best one because of its better crit chance. But it is not like you need it.

Other good feats for two handed damage dealers is dazzling display, shatter defences, dreadful carnage and cornugon smash. These will help you and your party hit enemies with high AC. You do need to keep your persuation skill up to use these feats effectively. Outflank is a great feat and anything that makes you crit more with your chosen weapon.

As a tip I would use Camellia as your tank in an evil party. She can fill that role very well. Just make her fight defensively constantly and try to take feats and abilities that increase her AC.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 24, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Oh yea I forgot that because I have never tried it myself.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
On core all of the main companions can go all the way in their starting class (hellknight and back to warrior on Regill) and do well. I have used every one of them in different playthroughs and I have no complaints. Though I don't know on unfair and above. If you can't get that to work on core you lack basic game understanding. Get high AC on someone and send them in first. Take decent feats and profit.

Seelah is good as a pure paladin tank. I use her in my current game without a horse and she is tanking fine. Mark of Justice is also a great party buff for harder fights.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Every class can work on core. With no multiclass bullshit. You do need some general knowledge about how D&D type of computer games work I guess. Stuff like don't send in the wizard first and being able to identify which feats are good or not.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
That is probably true. I have played these games for so long I have picked that up. But in any case that doesn't change that you do not need some insane meta builds to succeed on core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Unless I am missing something in the changelog this a very underwhelming "enhanced edition". I would call it a normal patch.