Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Are prestige classes basically straight upgrades to whatever the corresponding normal classes are, and follow up question, is it worth making my halfling bard friend into a dragon disciple?

Probably not. She's built for ranged and halflings do less damage in melee anyway which is what DD is meant to push you towards. It'd take you a long time before you get anything actually beneficial from it. I hear Eldrich Knight is better for her but honestly EK is such a limp-dick class you'd be better off just staying as a Bard imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I wish anyone in PoE2 was half as interesting as Durance.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Taear posted:

Tekehu is amazing and beats Durance hands down.

He's likeable, sure, and I agree that he's definitely the best of the new companions in basically every way but he's not nearly as interesting. Especially since half his dialogues are him regaling you with his sexcapades and its only at the end when he really gets serious.

Talking to Durance was a real highlight of PoE. I do like how apparently Avellone once said that he or Grieving Mother could easily have been the main villains in PoE2. If, you know, he was still writing on it I guess.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is Valerie really that bad? She's obviously built to be a tank and she seems pretty good at that. Just spec into Stalwart Defender at some point, give her stuff like Cornugon Smash and Dazzling Display and stick her in front of anyone and she should be fine. Are people just complaining because she doesn't also kill stuff?

The other companions don't seem to be that awful. Harrim's 8 Dex is poor and you'd want a higher strength on Amiri but other than that they don't seem terrible from what I can tell.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

mauman posted:

I knew about gnomes and their wonky rear end deal....what did they do to halflings? I've played PF but I haven't perused the lore that much in comparison to 3.5.

Their heads are loving enormous.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

To be fair though, fighters get all those bonus feats that let you quickly flesh out your build and start picking up all the great teamwork stuff. Plus they aren't hurt by taking dips in other classes to pick up Crane Style or mutagens or whatever. I've never looked at Valerie and thought I wanted another Cleric. I've already got one of those, what I need is someone to stand in front, take hits and dazzle my opponents while my team kills them.

A class that can pick a role and quietly excel in it isn't really a bad thing imo. And if were just talking about tabletop then a simple class can be what some players want anyway, plus combat is rarely just numbers and abilities in that setting.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 17, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If we're talking about builds, theres some pretty strong and unique ones from this guy:

https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/companion_builds/page1

He builds companions that are character-appropriate and good throughout the whole game. In particular I like turning Tristan into a Magic Missile Machinegun and also the Regongar, Linzi and Jaethal tank builds because I don't like that Valerie is the only companion set up as a really viable tank by default.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Do any of the companions stand out, interested to hear both balance wise and in their characters/stories. Are the romances any good?

I like most of the companions in this. I'm not too far into the game but Tristian is the only one I haven't connected to yet. Harrim is funny in an Eeyore kind of way, Linzi's cute, Jaethal is charmingly sociopathic in a way I appreciate, Valerie is better than people think imo and Octavia & Regongar are a great pair. The latter two can be romanced together, which is what I'm doing so far. I don't think I've done legit three-way relationship in an RPG yet so it appeals in that way.

Balance-wise Linzi is fantastic as a skill-monkey. She can cover a lot so I always have her in my party. Octavia is crazy strong and is built to be a Arcane Trickster (sneak-attack on rays are super good). Likewise Regongar is built to be a Dragon Disciple and can turbo-stack strength and dish out huge burst damage with touch-spells and correctly buffed can also tank pretty dang well. Jaethal's undead so she's actually immune to a LOT of nasty status effects and shes immortal so she makes a pretty good tank as long as you bring scrolls of cause wounds to heal her (normal healing hurts her). You also really want someone with high perception and she can get the highest afaik. Valerie is going to be the best tank (only) you have for a while at the start and she can be built towards Dazzling Display to keep her relevant too. Harrim is a decent off-tank cleric, while Tristian is pure spells and healing (though he can be turned into a Mystic Theurge and start making GBS threads out damage). Ekundayo and Nok-Nok are both busted-strong at what they do (damage) and very straight-forward. Amiri is good at doing damage just don't let her get attacked too much.

I like to plan out my builds so I've looked into this stuff quite a bit.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 11, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've just started Varnolds Lot. So far I'm enjoying not being the main character for a bit. I don't really have to worry about anything except builds and gear. It's a nice break.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Uh, so I can't open any of my kingdom management cards. It just zooms in and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or is this a known bug?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks, I figured out that it was Kingdom Resolution. I figured that had to be the mod because it was the only one directly affecting the kingdom stuff. I guess they haven't updated it since the last patch/dlc.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Surprisingly I've just gotten to Chapter 3 and I feel like I'm just starting to really get into it.

Granted I haven't been screwed over by the Kingdom Management yet so that may change being careful in my choices, saving a lot and thoroughly exploring is paying off so far.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Is Candlemere Keep much harder than the rest of the area it's in, or am I really just missing something? I bought Communal Resist Electricity scrolls in the capital, but they're only level 2, meaning they provide 10 DR, which for a ranged lightning hit isn't even enough to bring the damage below the Normal damage cap. I hate those Will-o'-wisps so goddamn much, why did they turn them into a regular trash enemy

You'll get someone giving you a quest to explore that place in your throne room at some point (after you go to Varnhold the first time). I wouldn't recommend exploring it until then and definitely not before you get Protection from Energy: Communal, which lets you flat out absorb 85-ish points of damage when you get it of a certain element. If you stack Resist and Protection you can ignore most of their attacks since they do stack.

I fought the first 2 fights and then left to get Harrim. After that it was still a pretty tough fight at level 7-8ish but quite doable. You also want Glitterdust.

Edit: Oh, you already have it. Good. But, um, the Lost Child isn't in Candlemere. They're in the lizardman village south of Candlemere.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 7, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Helion posted:

My monk just hit level 5, and now she can trip attack every round. This seems....great? Is this somehow not great?

If you're going strength-build it's fantastic, yeah. It has an annoying habit of turning off whenever you enter a new area or rest though so keep an eye out that its always enabled. Monks are pretty drat good imo. With Dragon Ferocity + Power Attack my monk hits almost as hard as Amiri but with a higher attack bonus and an extra attack and auto-trips on hit. And with Dex + Wis/Char + Barkskin you can get decent AC too. AND you're insanely fast with other abilities for utility.

Monks also make some of the best tanks too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

Linzi can gently caress off the little thief.

It's worth it. That printing house is good and the BP she took was a lot less than normally buying one costs.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

"Ok, so surely Nok-Nok can't be that good. Everyone is probably just exaggerati-"

Multiple 50 damage auto-attacks a round at lvl 10: :stare:

I kinda feel like my monks being shown up a bit now....

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

People poo poo on Valerie but she's the only tank the game gives you (which is pretty shocking, actually). Unless your main is a tank or you deviate from the default builds for characters she's basically essential for half the game or more.

(Also if you have the Wild Cards DLC theres a free Fullplate +3 that damages attackers in the Tiefling companions house in your capital, just fyi. Give her a level of monk and 3 points in Mobility to get +4 AC by fighting defensively too)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Helion posted:

Aww man, I might have to walk all the way back to get Octavia. I have like 3 dispel magics, but no slows. Thanks, folks.

Haste is only up for a few rounds, 1 per level, you could try casting Web and waiting him out or summon some chaff to tie him up a bit. Check your scrolls and wands to see if you have anything useful.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think Jaethal is immune to Soul Eaters because she's immune to pretty much everything bad. Honestly making Jaethal my tank was such a good idea. There's not alot in the game that you can't overcome by just walking a Jaethal with some levels of TSS up to it and summoning a bunch of skeletons as backup. She laughs at everything except direct damage.

Even if it doesn't go well she's unkillable so as long as you buy cause wounds scrolls/potions its fine. Or just prepare your Cleric with those spells and switch them to normal healing when you need to.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 24, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Amiri's huge sword got broken during the fight with Armag. Which weapon would you recommend for her?

e: uhh never mind I can't unequip it, maybe I can upgrade it during her companion quest

I have her running around with 4 great weapons like a goddamn swiss army knife. It's not an issue with her strength. Other than her sword I have:

- +4 anti-undead earthbreaker I found outside Vordakai's tomb
- +2 flaming bardiche for reach cleaving
- +1 anti-'longshanks' spear for an extra +2 & 2d6 against any humanoid bigger than a dwarf.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The whole exotic weapon system kind of sucks. Most of them aren't better than regular weapons or are only marginally better. It's just a feat tax for someone wanting to role play something neat and creates a lot of vendor trash that no one can use.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Soul Eaters can still be hit by AOE's if you have them, though they have high reflex saves. I managed to get Linzi and Tristian to beat theirs by nailing them with a Serenity, which made them basically kill themselves.

Forever_Peace posted:

There's a Fauchard crit fishing AoO build floating around the internet somewhere that I've been pretty impressed by. Also been enjoying elven curve blade Jaethal.

I'm not saying exotic weapons suck or can't have strong builds just that they mostly aren't strong enough to justify wasting a feat on them and I think the whole system just arbitrarily locks out a huge chunk of weapons.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 27, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah you need to reload.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

What difficulty are people playing on? Hargulka fell pretty easily to a hasted Ekundayo with Devourer of Metal + Bracers of Archery in my game but I was only playing on normal.

Though yeah, you either need a lot of chaff or someone with mid-30's AC/Displacement to tank.

Don't forget you can always walk outside and rest if you really need to.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah the point of the DLC is to have fun trying out new builds. Just google some build ideas and pick what seems interesting or you haven't tried out yet.

Just make sure you have: 1 Arcane spellcaster, 1 Divine spellcaster, 1 person to open locks and disarm traps (you can double up with Arcane Trickster which is real good since they can retry locks as many times as they like), someone with high perception, at least 1 tank. Other than that go crazy.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I knew they were just lulling me into a false sense of security

Anyway, I only just realized that Chain Lightning owns in any situation where you'd consider using it. 29-30 DC, I don't think I've seen any of these chaff enemies make their save.

Chain Lightning is such a breath of fresh air with not having to worry about friendly fire.

It gets even better if you're going Arcane Trickster with Octavia. The capstone ability at level 10 lets you sneak attack with all spells.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

Cool but swarms are supposed to be hit with aoe damage, right?

All non-physical damage is applied normally. Whenever I run into swarms I pop lightning fists on my monk and fry them. At the start of the game I used those everburning torches, heh.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

The loading screens specifically say that those torches put out aoe fire damage. "Swarms hate them!"

It probably does say that but I'm pretty sure it's just regular fire damage. Any weapon that does extra elemental damage can kill swarms.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I like having cool looking buildings though, even if its only on the management map. Also I really liked building kobold, goblin and barbarian quarters in my city, legalising necromancy and creating skeleton guards and seeing all of those scattered around my lawful neutral capital. I just wish I'd turned off alignment-locked choices before I got rid of the trolls.

I don't give a gently caress so long as you pay your taxes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 4, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So does anyone know if it's possible to keep Jaethal undead and not have Tristian try to kill her at the end of the game? I've completed his quest with him saving the girl and getting the cult leader to suicide and chose for him to stay human. From what I hear though I have to get her to explode and lose her for most of the rest of the game to have both live in the end.

If its not possible I'd prefer to lose Tristian because gently caress that guy. Dude didn't redeem himself for poo poo, he's way more of a monster than Jaethal ever was.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Goddammit.

Maybe I'll turn permadeath on and just.... "forget" to raise him in the next fight.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I ended up telling Tristian to piss off forever. I hope that doesn't cause him to pop back up in the end, but that should get around the issue.

Mystic Theurge ended up being an ok class but blaster mages are still underwhelming compared to martial attackers and Octavia does it better anyway. So it wasn't that big a loss.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 15, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Make sure to download Bag of Tricks from nexusmods, which will help you to power through most bugs and glitches.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Honestly this game is 100% my jazz and I think it's in my top 3 or 5 RPG's of all time. Alot of things that frustrate other players (or at least posters on this forum) are things I actually really like and while the game stumbles and has bugs it's partly because it's insanely ambitious in what it does. Between the base game and the DLC's I've put over 200 hours into the game and I'm still invested so it's definitely scratching an itch not much has for a long time.

The devs have worked really hard on it since it came out so now there aren't that many major bugs left and with Bag of Tricks you can get around them if you need to. IMO if you're able to enjoy the Baldur's Gate game these days then Kingmaker does everything they do and more. I highly recommend it if those are the kind of games you're into.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

My aim was to have a character who could fight melee, wear heavier armor, was not a Paladin/Cleric, pass speech checks, and was more interesting than a bog standard fighter.

The ES being Charisma based seemed good for it, but I don't think Charisma matters much if you keep your Persuade skill maxed. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe some kinda trip/dazzlying display fighter or maybe rework the ES concept and make a straight up Sorcerer/Fighter/DD or stick with ES and just take fewer levels in it and lean more into melee.

Given those specifications it sounds like maybe an Inquisitor, Slayer, Druid or Ranger. If you're really set on heavy armor you could just take a level in fighter or heavy armor proficiency (apart from druid ofc). The main problem with just going straight sorcerer/fighter is there's no easy way to mitigate the arcane spell failure of armor.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Only have your tank walk into the room?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's worth equipping characters when you get into the last quarter of the game, otherwise you can just rotate gear from your current party on to them when you feel like using them. If you find anything that would be uniquely good for that character then it's worth keeping, like Nok Nok's special gear or Kinetic Diadems for the twins.

Also Jaethals incredibly useful so you're missing out a bit there. She can self heal pretty well and is immune to all the nastiest stuff in the game.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

House at the end of Time is the last dungeon. If you get through that (hope you have someone with high Touch AC, lol?) depending on your choices you've either won the game or there's about 2 more hours of gameplay and a final-final boss.

Also, glad to hear you're having fun Muenster. It can take a while to gel with the game but when you do it really does open up.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That build is fine and some people actually say its better to just cheese the last bit of the game with sirocco etc.

You might struggle without shared exp and that party tho. You start the section alone and have to save your party members 1 by 1. You might have to use other companions for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you know the pathfinder ruleset then going in blind is fine, but you might struggle if you don't have a good grasp of the system. Looking up some guides on companion builds or how best to build your MC's class is recommended if you aren't confident in your choices.

In general you'll want at least one "tank" in your party with AC as high as you can get it. Generally that means stacking as many incremental bonuses as possible. Theres no taunt system in the game, enemies just attack the closest thing so bare that in mind and bare in mind that heavy armor slows you down.

You'll also want a Cleric in the party at all times if you can and don't scrimp out on spells or scrolls to cure status effects. You'll also want at least one character in the party with as much perception as you can get, but try to have multiple people with it as backups.

Swarms get countered by AOE or elemental damage (like a torch).

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 6, 2019