Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Just got the game yesterday as a present, played through with a burner character on normal just to get an idea of wtf was going on, got pasted all day. Started again as a rogue, got the evil/chaotic starting party and am facetanking my way through everything on easy. Like I don't even bother issuing orders 90% of the time face tanking. We're a bit melee heavy but apparently that's working awesome. Only problem is I feel like I'm not actually learning the system other than at some point after leveling up the magus dude with weapon focus touch attack I realized that his class made him use his BaB and I'd wasted a feat. So more reading is in order I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

There should be a hidden achievement for making and playing more than 10 characters for at least an hour before ever finishing chapter 2.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Is there a good mod for making hiring mercs cheaper? I'm level 6 and they want 18k per. I just want a monk and a druid to pal around with.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I vaguely recall a mod with the ability to recruit them at their initial price, but it might just be easier using bag of tricks or something to cheat yourself 18k gold. Later on you have more gold than you know what to do with, it's really a non-factor in the game besides early in exactly your situation, no harm in just cheating in some of the gold you won't be able to spend later.

I'm honestly a little surprised and disappointed there's not a console in game for that kind of thing. I can't really think of another game in this genre that doesn't have it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I'm having some issues with octavia mostly due to never playing a wizard. Like ever, in anything. Right now she's kind of just sitting in the back crossbowing things and casting haste if poo poo goes really south, but that seems like a waste. I mean Tristan's right there filling my buffbot with a crossbow niche already. I only have the 3 lvl 3 slots at the moment and those I think should be devoted to haste slow and displacement(?), is there anything really good/useful in the lvl 1/2 lists I might be overlooking?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

queeb posted:

Yeah Octavia for me now is an arcane trickster at around level 6 and she is my heavy hitter. Sneak attack acid splash and rays are bonkers.

I have her doing the sneak attack acid splashes and she does like 16 damage on a good hit at lvl7. Which is..ok I guess. I think she's going back into the box for a bit. I have plenty more haste casters now. She can come back when she gets cloud kill

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I'm doing my end of chapter two wanders and I've come on two areas that I seemed over leveled for up until the last fight. First one was the three iron golems in the tomb, and the other was a giant serpent in a cave called crag something. Am I not prebuffing properly or are these meant for later?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks, I figured out the delay poison trick, and I just got force bombs on jubilost, so we'll go back and see what's up with that. I think I have to go somewhere else anyways, there's a big door that said something about a key between two rivers and the strongest so I think it might be story gated or I have to go find a mcguffin.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I can never figure out if I'm doing well with my town. I got through the giant owlbear attack and I'm almost done with the mouth of lamawhats dungeon, my crappy capital had just finished upgrading to a crappy town, most of my stats are at rank 2-3, but I don't have a magister yet, when does that unlock? Am I really behind? I've only added 3 territories so far

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Lawful Neutral is a pretty good mix of "don't screw yourself" and "kill poo poo get loot", at least early on I've noticed.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So based on all the spoilers, it sounds like they hired the sort of people who wrote the Sarelieth and Sandrah mods for BG to do the writing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I don't think anyone can stand the bard regardless of alignment

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Are you also doing the tripping balls build? I'm trying it out because from PoE1 on I only ever seem to finish these games with a druid and trip mechanics are hilarious.

Can someone explain why crane style is so good? Is fighting defensively really worth the penalty to attack rolls or do we just keep it around for when we're casting/getting overwhelmed? Is it eventually a completely negligible penalty maybe?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, there's an army mode where you recruit armies and go fight demon armies in the world map. The actual combat is basically just Might and Magic. If you have any experience in that genre you'll know what to expect.

I preferred the Kingdom Building from KM myself, but I'm in the minority of really enjoying that aspect of it. The Army Management wasn't really fun in my experience.

You mean heroes of might and magic surely, its not a hydra party dungeon crawler right?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So one other 'this is probably obvious' question, how does dazzling display work? The character does a sword dance, makes a persuade check, and everyone who fails the check gets debuffed? What's the debuff? How big of an area? Is there anything else I should know about it?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Sounds like a job for Valerie! Last question, I was fighting some skeleton last night and my druid kept provoking AoOs every time they hit something. I think that maybe it was aspect of the bear making me attack unarmed but I didn't see anything about that in the spell description

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So in the lonely hunter quest at lake silverstep village, is this pile of rocks for anything? I put a fish I found in it and an ancient wyvern showed up for me to kill and I got the fish back I guess. Is that it? I feel like I'm missing something.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh well I got annoyed when he wandered off and couldn't find him so I reloaded and just shanked him. Glad I wasn't missing anything important.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

They just want you to force you to bring jaethal along. Don't do it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I just wrapped up Varnhold Vanishing and was kind of expecting to have some downtime like I did after the bloom to do some more rank ups and clear the map around Varnhold but those sons of bitches hit me with story quests as soon as I got home. Should I load my save from before the cyclops bros tomb and do all that then? I've got about 190 days before the curse gets worse if that makes any difference.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Troll trouble started giving me increasingly bad events very quickly on my abandoned first playthrough, so I kind of got in the habit of rushing the MQ, is that the only one you really need to rush? Or are there any others?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Kingdom is doing great in this playthrough, got all my advisors unlocked before the end of chap 3 which I think is good? Got some teleportation cities for qol. Just need to figure out when the best times to dick around and do rank up quests are. I'm getting a backlog of them, two weeks is a big time commit especially if there's 5-6 in the queue.

edit:

JamMasterJim posted:

Rushing the main quest is almost always the optimal approach.
You do get 'kingdom in trouble' warnings that hit stats in all chapters and many times kingdom events to deal with them, but actual game over deadline is usually far longer than that. Transition from Varnhold to barbarian trouble is just the only one without a long break.

Got it, so I can rush that one and come back with plenty of time before the next whatever?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I noticed once I finished Varnhold my success chances went from 95-100 with no crisis points to 50 out of nowhere. I think I'll load my pre tomb of too many cyclopses save and get a few more in. Is there a guide for the death timers?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I've been playing this build, and its going well so far, but I've never played a char that used combat feats so I'm finally at the point that I have the feats (lvl11) and the aspect of the wolf spell I'm not exactly sure how to play it. I assume I turn into a bear and cast aspect of the wolf and that makes my bear attacks naturally do trip? I can only cast it once so it seems like a 'big fight buff'. Should I have trip mode selected on my hotbar the rest of the time or just break it out strategically?
https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character#Tripping_Balls

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Which is the better 1 lvl dip for an ecclesitheurge with weather and air domain?

monk: ac bonus and crane style
fighter: reach weapon proficiencies, 2 extra feats for probably point blank shot and weapon focus touch/precise shot (for the lightning)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Would figure you want to go dex based so you can land the offensive spells that require a touch attack in which case monk is probably better because the fighter stuff is less relevant with dex?

I mean, its not like I have a lot of points in dex, but I am stealing the dex gear for the AC bonus/attacks. I just wanted to be able to use longspears/glaives as far as proficiencies go, but I don't think either really makes a huge diff on the dex vs strength situation.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The reach weapon is just there so I can do something in between heals and lightning bolts while still being close enough do to heals and short range buffs on the tank, I'm not planning to much if any damage with it. I guess I could just stick with crossbow since I need the ranged feats anyways for touch attacks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Lord I hope so, the backer quest in kingmaker was terrible.

Which one was it?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

There's no law that says you can't torture a troll have a troll on your basketball team.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

This is a lawful neutral thread and we are lawful neutral people

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

But who wants to play a Lawful Rogue? (when Bag of Tricks exists).

I could see it working as an Indiana Jones sort of character. "This belongs in a museum!" etc.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Doesn't see invisibility communal work? I got that around level 8 on someone (Jubilost?)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I'm realizing that my lightning making GBS threads ecclisi cleric is really boring to play, is painfully squishy when doing the solo stuff (verdant chambers was a hot mess of savescumming), and all the enemies keep making their reflex saves against my lightning. Plan is to respec rather than restart. Anyone got any really weird fun builds? Cheese and munchkinry are fine, something that puts up silly numbers and doesn't use a reach weapon ideally and works with a lawful neutral alignment (I've got a lot of companions using reach weapons and there's already enough competition for good ones).

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks that's really helpful, I hadn't really looked at EK, but googling it makes it sound like exactly what I'm looking for.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

JamMasterJim posted:

I have to warn you that it is probably less exciting than it sounds.
It's pretty much 'buff myself to be an untouchable wrecking ball and start wrecking'. And takes some time to come together.

Isn't that just pathfinder in general though?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

JamMasterJim posted:

One build I personally ran was monk/knifemaster with sais. You can try to be more offensive with enough levels to get the most out of flurry of blows or more defensive with crane style and debuffing with double debilitate (which adjusts the levels you take per class). Could even drop a few levels in duelist.

I ended up going with this and holy crap I'm like a smilodon but with more armor than Val and sneak attack dice. I wonder if dipping 1 lvl into viv would be worth it for the mutagen and the extra sneak attack die. Currently I'm monk 5/ knifemaster 4.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah the monk ki powers are surprisingly good. Bark skin and extra attacks are always welcome

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

What pathfinder is really missing more than anything is a dragon age inquisition style castle decor system.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Yeah I drank an invisibility potion and ran for it on the second attempt. Monsters kept beating on me regardless. Even with most attacks missing my squishy sorcerer did not last long.

Did you look for an alternate route out? Also yeah, I did this with an ecclsiatheurge and wow did that suck. Lotta reloading and I now hate redcaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I don't own any of the expansions, and from what I understand the best time to do at least one of them is the downtime between season of the bloom and the varnhold vanishing. How are you keeping up with your kingdom ranks? Its just so much loving time spent getting through the backlogs of rank ups, I can't imagine having extra time to gently caress off for however long that whole thing takes. Is it less than a fortnight? How much time does it really take?