Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've got into a weird situation during my Kingmaker playthrough.

Doing the Vordakai fight. Turn 1, I use Icy Prison. It lands, he's paralyzed. Amiri does a Coup de Grace on him, he fails the Fortitude save and dies instantly. I kill his raven, then the fight ends. I loot him. No Occulus on his corpse. I figure he's a lich, probably has a phylactery, he might not be dead dead and shows up later in the story. Still seems really weird that I just kill this extremely important plot boss and there was no cutscene or dialogue afterward. Whatever. I keep on going, release the souls, have a chat with Varn and he's acting like everything is over, but there's this dangling plot hole with the Occulus. I exit to the map and the story text says "Tristian revealed himself to be an enemy". Huh?

So I google up what's up with the Occulus. Turns out there was supposed to be a big scene mid-fight where Tristian reveals he's here to steal the Occulus and betrays you? And you're supposed to be able to decide Vordakai's fate, even recruit him as an advisor!? None of that poo poo ever happened in my game. My "enemy" Tristian is still in my party. Quick googling also says there's a ton of bugs related to this particular fight and cutscene. I guess I have to reload and redo the fight? Though I'm very curious what would happen if I just keep on going like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Wanted to go Kineticist into Lich so I picked Overwhelming Soul even though it looks kinda bad compared to default. Hope this doesn't end up sucking.

Gyoru posted:

latest patch disables autocast whenever you hit a zone transition/load a save so you have to turn it on for your casters every. single. time. :shepface:

edit: ok even worse it turns off whenever you make a move action

gently caress me, so that's what's happening. It is making me really mad that my kineticist character just loving runs in and tries to punch enemies constantly

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

So I just got Nenio in my party and... (possible Nenio quest spoilers)

Human, eh?

is this supposed to be a secret that's revealed later? if so the UI does a very poor job of hiding it, lmao

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

so I picked up this axe that deals aoe cold damage on a crit, only to notice a couple of hours later it also hits allies and even the user itself when it procs

no wonder Seelah's horse kept dying and she was always low health, lol

anyway that axe sucks don't use it

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Node posted:

Kingmaker questions: my kingdom stability is at "riots." I'm guessing that means I'm getting close to game over. I really don't want to have to restart. How do I raise it? I just finished the troll quest line.

Are there any other quests I need to be aware of that are time limited? I noticed that I killed a potential advisor (the wizard who kept a troll prisoner) by waiting too long, causing his laboratory to become destroyed.

The main way to repair stability is raising your Kingdom's stability rank, which will improve stability by one up to stable every time you rank it up. If you're only at the troll quest line you almost certainly haven't unlocked the Stability advisor, nor do you have the thousand BP it costs to throw a feast which is the other option. So yeah, I think using Bag of Tricks or a save editor is your best bet here.

Make sure you're resolving as many problems as you can and keep a semi-healthy bank of BP (I'd say 100-150 or so for the point of the game you're at). Going into negative BP absolutely wrecks your stability. Some events or kingdom decisions can straight up just subtract BP from your bank and that can be very bad if you don't fix it ASAP.

As for time limited stuff: A lot of main story quests are time limited in the sense that if you put them off too long the outcomes will get worse (or you can straight up just get a game over). As a rule of thumb, you should just immediately do the main quests for each act as soon as they become available. Also resolve the Ancient Curse kingdom events and do the Bald Hilltop battles immediately when they pop up. These always start exactly 14 days before each curse deadline so keep an eye on your quest journal and make sure you're near the capital at that time.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I rolled Fire Kineticist and didn't get spell pen feats (went for precise shot instead) so I just had to deal with my MC being mostly useless all of act 1. It wasn't that hard to get through on Core. In retrospect, knowing I would have to fight tons of demons all game long I should have expected that fire and spell resistance would be very widespread, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead during creation.

Finally got to act 2 and got Ascendant Element (Fire). It's like I'm Goku coming out of the gravity chamber!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Node posted:

Thanks. I'm really boned unless I use a mod? I've been keeping the events in check, I haven't been ignoring them. I don't know how I can get a game over when, for the most part, I am doing things right.

One alternative to modding/save editing you could look at are the difficulty settings for kingdom mode.

The big issue is that once you start losing stability, you get a penalty to resolving events, which makes it more likely your advisors fail to address problems, which means your stability will worsen, which increases the penalty further, etc. It can be very hard to break out of this death spiral, particularly early in the game. Do you remember what caused the stability hits in the first place?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I was having some awful screen tearing issues today. After looking into it, it seems like the patch capped FPS at 60, even with v-sync turned off, which my FreeSync setup did not like at all. I assume this was them trying to fix the GPU melting issue. Currently playing with v-sync on since I couldn't figure out a way to uncap FPS.

Anyone else have a similar problem? I couldn't find anyone talking about this on the steam or gog forums.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I think Finnean is a nod towards that, but yeah you really should be able to build your own weapon, even if you could only have the simpler enchantments on it.

vvvvv I usually just sort by price, descending. That mostly puts the newer stuff at the top since it's higher level and thus more expensive.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Welp. Seems like the Overwhelming Soul's main ability, Overwhelming Power, is broken. I'm level 9, so I should be getting +3 attack and damage on kinetic blast, but it's only giving +1 attack. The damage portion seems to work correctly and give +3. It's already considered a weak subclass, losing out on +5 attack by level 18 is pretty brutal. This is what you're giving up burn for!

Attack roll example:

Damage roll example:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

lemonadesweetheart posted:

drat this is hilarious. I killed steam to see what would happen and it launches loving steam.

Yep, same thing for me.

What am I supposed to do during the workday if I can't play? Work?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Zotix posted:

Also, since I'm asking questions, why is it sometimes when I enter battle my units get a move + attack, and other times they only get half actions. They still move first, but aren't getting the full move+attack option.

If you start a battle while undetected, (i.e. by making a ranged attack from outside aggro range) you start the battle with a surprise round. During a surprise round you only get a single standard action instead of the full move action + standard action, but enemies don't get to act at all.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I turned down Daeran's offer for a not-date and all his gifts disappeared (the roses in the command room and hot tub in my room) after I left and came back to my base. I guess those only stick around if you're actively romancing him? Seems like a dick move to take back gifts! Sorry bro, but a lady lich gotta play the field.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I think I'm gonna shelf my current playthrough as a Kineticist Lich until some more patches come out. Way too much stuff is broken mechanically for my character and it's making the game pretty unenjoyable.

What's the consensus on least buggy/most complete mythic path?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Infinity Gaia posted:

My understanding is that Angel, Trickster and Azata are all pretty much fine.

Sounds like Trickster it is then, thanks! Not really all that into Angel and Azata, they seem very bland.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Buffing is a bit overstated imo, you don't really need to go around fully buffed all the time on Core or lower. You can go with the long lasting buffs like Bless and Mage Armor/Vestment for general use and pop the specialized or shorter stuff for particularly strong enemies.

I'd love a macro system to automate the buff process though.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Offkorn posted:

Anyone come up with an Ascendant Element build that uses the Black Dragon's Fang longsword? It's a neat weapon, but basically every enemy has acid resistance 10 and I can't think of many sources of acid damage besides alchemist bombs or Caustic Eruption... and characters that use those won't want to hit things in melee.

I guess you could go melee Lich, get Ascendant Element (Negative) and the lich power that turns all your energy damage into negative energy.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Taear posted:

Yea I mean I'm casting my Ray spells and etc on them and it's fine I guess. AND I'm buffing. But it's still not enough, they're still killing two or three party members before they go down. Is that how it's meant to go?!
I'm casting haste, bless, protection from fire, protection from evil, communal true sight, shield of law, and Holy Aura.

What else should I be casting?

Displacement and/or Greater Invisibility. Both give total concealment which is a flat 50% chance to miss, which will greatly improve your front-liner's survivability.

Greater Invisibility will also additionally let you hit flat-footed AC (removing the target's Dex bonus to AC), which is very powerful vs rogue/rangery type enemies. For the ultimate AC negation, cast Greater Invisibility on your ray caster, so they're targeting flat-footed touch AC. Note that some enemies in Wrath have permanent See Invisibility which will negate the invisibility bonuses. I'm not sure if that can be dispelled, never tried.

Blur is the baby version of Displacement, only 20% miss chance but it lasts min/level instead of round/level.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

pentyne posted:

Wow Owlcat, so many patches and you've still got a huge bug for the Lich transformation smh

Let me guess: it's bugged and not removing your old CON bonus during the transformation, so you get both your old CON bonus and your CHA bonus. Alternatively, since - ability scores are treated as 10 internally (like the hilarious Giant Centipede bug), if you have a +8 CON item equipped you still get the +4 modifier applied.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 21, 2021

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I believe RAW dodge, racial and circumstance are the only typed bonuses that can stack.

Of course in the videogame things can be bugged (e.g. Magic Vestment) and lead to unintended stacking so who the hell knows.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Kobal2 posted:

Exactly. Same for armor and armor enhancement. This is why Mage Armor and Magic Vestment stack, which I'm not sure is a bug but rather RAW : Mage Armor gives you 4 armor as if you were wearing, well, armor. It's not an enhancement. Magic Vestment adds an enhancement bonus to the t-shirt you're wearing underneath your fake armor.

Magic Vestment does not actually give a creature an enhancement bonus to AC, it gives a piece of armor an enhancement bonus to AC, which the wearer then benefits from as an armor bonus. If you have Mage Armor and you Magic Vestment your shirt, you'd have two sources of armor: Mage Armor (4 AC) and your Magic Vestment'd shirt (0 + Magic Vestment's enhancement bonus AC ). You'd check which of those has the higher armor bonus and use it as your armor bonus.

AFAIK, there is no source of a direct enhancement bonus to AC.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Warmachine posted:

Good thing too, because what comes out of those vents? Cloudkill.

Delay Poison, Communal hits the whole party and lasts 1 hour. You should just run it constantly. There's plenty of annoying poisons in Kingmaker. Lets you toss around your own Heightened Stinking Clouds with impunity too.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Tabletops posted:

does delay poison work on plaguestorm? that poo poo sucks so much. i respec'd ember just to get her clean air whatever hex thing but it didn't work on it

It does not, unfortunately. Plague Storm is a disease effect, not a poison effect.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dorkopotamis posted:

Has anyone got Negative Energy Mastery to work on kineticist? Does it work at all? Not having any luck over here.

Nah, it doesn't work. Assuming you're playing Overwhelming Soul? If so, then you're also missing +attack from Overwhelming Power, it's stuck at +1 no matter your level.

Every time a patch is released I reload my Lich save to see if these have been fixed, no luck so far.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Kaedric posted:

seconding that the same thing happened to me. There was no crusader nearby to loot in my game.

You don't actually need to kill the Vrock to get the shield. If you summoned it, when you go to leave the Market Square and you get the big list of leftover loot those crusader corpses will be on that list and you can loot the shield from that interface. Seem to be treated as normal corpses so I guess they despawn along with their loot once the tavern attack happens and the zone is refreshed.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Destro posted:

What are some good ways to trigger attacks of opportunity? I'm looking at the neoseeker guides and quite a few of the builds take Ever Ready and I'm not seeing how you get this to work alot.

Most AoOs come from Outflank in my experience. The melee line becomes a blender once they get 4+ attacks and Improved Critical.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Having had a cat previously, I choose to blame Tiger, tbh

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't recall if KM used the OOTB pathfinding but glancing at the DLLs WoTR seems to be using a pretty common unity pathfinding library that has its own ups and downs. I really think they should've just allowed units in real time to path over each other. It fixes sooo many problems in TB even if it would look goofy if you pause while they are clipping through each other. I wonder if a mod could change that

They sure can. Toybox has a setting that does precisely that.

I set it to let my characters move through each other and it's honestly increased my enjoyment of the game massively. Makes realtime combat indoors a lot less fiddly, so I'm doing it a lot more. Cleared Drezen in my 2nd playthrough probably in 1/3rd of the time it took the first time around by going realtime mostly.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Terrible Opinions posted:

The kobold also seems rather backer npc.

As does the Pathfinder guy who keeps talking about his ~totally awesome~ rivalry with some sort of Carmen Sandiego demon.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Wow, I had kinda ignored Cave Fangs up until now. This spell is just wildly overpowered.

You cast it, now you can do 3d8 + 1d8 damage up to CL times (no cap unlike other damage spells). As a free action. And it's a small AoE. And it knocks things prone. And it leaves a zone of half movement and damage that lasts essentially forever (the damage from the spikes stacks even if you overlap them). And you can split it up as much as you want among different targets. And you can spread it out not just among targets, but across encounters since it lasts 10 min per CL, any leftovers can be used later.

what the hell is this spell lmao

e: main problem is the spikes are not removed by dismiss spell so it can make looting quite the minefield. literally

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 30, 2021

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Sure, DR is the main weakness of course, but against anything it works it just instantly ends the encounter.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^ Jesus, I hadn't even considered Enduring Spells with it

I did go and look up the original Pathfinder version, it's significantly different.

It's a standard action that targets CL squares, setting traps on those squares that are triggered once a creature enters them. So you have to set all the traps at once, you can't save them for later. Presumably you also can't choose the same square 10 times or whatever to make one single doom square. So yeah, the version Owlcat came up with is just extremely broken and would be so even if it had a material component cost.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 30, 2021

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Admiral Ray posted:

Is there a character build calculator for WOTR or publicly spreadsheet with all the skills and classes and all that on it? I'm not overly familiar with all the options available and while build guides are cool they often don't include all the numbers I want to see. I searched around a bit using Google but nothing came up for my search terms. If not, I'll likely work on making my own but I wanted to check first.

I don't think there is one for the video games, but most feats/spells/classes/etc can be found in their tabletop versions. Doesn't always translate 1:1 but it mostly does. You can at least look up what the build guides are recommending you take.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Unbreakable Heart doesn't make you immune to confusion. It gives a +4 bonus to saves and allows the character to ignore the effect even if they get it (so they can act normally as long as UH is running). At least for Derakni, since their confusion is very short, it's a good enough solution.

On a different note, Ember is the perfect counter to a lot of Owlcat's insane stat bloat. Unresistable -4 to AC/Saves/Attack, very good ranged touch attacker if you go for the fire blaster build, Fortune+Cackle to keep it going for an entire battle is pretty nuts. I really like the Witch class overall. Her main weakness is that she's garbage in real time mode, how are you even supposed to juggle cursing and cackling in real time?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's pretty funny how much the late game is rocket tag. If I win the initiative my MC just instantly blows up a boss with Scythe 5x crits from a pounce charge and the rest of the team instagibs one or two mooks, if the enemies go first they just cast like 15 level 7+ spells in the first round and disable/kill the entire party. This is high level 3.5/PF at its finest.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Canopus250 posted:

I'm playing Kingmaker and just got enough controlled territory to upgrade one of my other villages to a town. Any thoughts on best targets for somebody playing kingdom mode on easy?

For clarity sake I already leveled up the capital, so this is for the other villages.

I'd recommend Silverstep, since that lets you build an Aviary there which covers all the regions on the east of the map. That will be very useful for act 4 when you're mostly doing stuff around there, and it's a pain to travel across the mountains to do Kingdom management.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

FrickenMoron posted:

Theres honestly just too much unimportant crap loot, especially near the endgame. It's exhausting and I want an easier way to find important loot like the Elven Notes.

Enhanced Inventory's latest release allows for customizing the Collect All button's behavior and only looting valuable stuff. It's great.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Goofballs posted:

well poo poo, I was going to go fire at the start so those are into the needed column. You have room to gently caress around with kineticist so not the end of the world.

Having done exactly this, I'd recommend starting with another element, even if you want to focus on Fire stuff. Like 80% of enemies are demons which have both fire resistance and spell resistance which is really bad for a Fire Kineticist. It gets much better once you pick up Ascended Element and the Penetration feats but your MC will be severely gimped for the first act. You can just pick up Fire as your expanded element at 7th, or respec if you really want primary Fire.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Goofballs posted:

I don't especially care about the element, I care about ranged touch attack versus ranged attack

It's really not that hard to land the physical blasts. It's a single attack so you get your entire BAB (even if it's 3/4). If a Kineticist is having trouble landing hits that means even the full martials are whiffing most of their attacks. And you can always fall back to an energy blast if your secondary element allows for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Offkorn posted:

This is incorrect. It's why that Mad Dog build that gets talked about in here from time to time works so well.

It's also incredibly easy to test. Just attack someone while mounted without other party members nearby and look at the attack log; flanking will be listed in the attack bonus.

Yep. I have Seelah on her horse and they both absolutely outflank and murder people by themselves.

Mounting isn't bad at all. You're free to go full glass cannon on the rider since they essentially can't be hit at all unless forced to dismount somehow. Animal Companions have massive AC and you're free to dump extra buffs on them since most of it is Natural Armor. You can drop Magic Vesment, Shield of Faith, Shield (from an alchemist or the Mounted Shield feat) to really reach sky-high AC values.

The main disadvantage is how buggy it is. They often bug out and stop responding to orders until you remount, they tend to get stuck on things while pathfinding, sometimes the mount just stops attacking for no reason even when the rider is attacking, it's very annoying.