Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Your Computer posted:

i'm just playing the first game for the first time and i have a couple of magus questions:

1) i thought spellstrike casts did not provoke attacks of opportunity but they seem to be doing it anyway?

is it because i have spell combat enabled? if so, why does enabling spell combat suddenly make spellstrike stop working

2) what exactly does spell combat even do? it says "make an attack with -2 penalty". -2 penalty to what? to the attack roll? to the damage roll? how does it actually interact with spellstrike? does it apply the penalty to everything you do always or does it only apply the penalty when you are using it as a full-round action? i am so confused about this button

3) does it not actually work with all touch magic like it says? i went with fey bloodline and the laughing attack does not seem to work with spellstrike

So when you try to cast and are threatened you automatically cast defensively, which is a concentration check. If you pass the check there is no AoO.

A good way to think of spell combat is like dual wielding, but you're using a spell instead of an off-hand weapon. There are some caveats, like the spell needs to be a casting time of "standard action" (this is why spontaneous metamagic doesn't work, because those increase the casting time to full round). You use a full round action, which normally with dual wielding would be 2 attacks at a -2 to-hit penalty (plus your extra attacks from high base attack bonus), but instead of a second off-hand attack you cast a spell. If the spell has an attack component it takes the -2 to-hit penalty, but you can also use non-offensive spells if you want.

The way touch spells work is you get a 'free' touch attack. With spellstrike you make exchange that with a weapon attack. So you're getting weapon bonus and can get crits off your spell in exchange for having to hit with your weapon swing. Something that isn't clear and isn't shown clearly is that if you miss, you don't "lose" your spell. It stays "charged" until you hit with a swing, which can lead to confusing turns.

So combined you can cast, say, touch of fatigue with spell combat. I'm not sure if the spell or attacks go first, but I think it should be first swing->spell->rest of swings. So you'd get an attack with -2 to hit, then you'd do a concentration check to avoid triggering an attack of opportunity, cast touch of fatigue, and then make another swing with -2 to hit to deliver that touch attack. If that hits you deal damage and then your spell checks spell resistence and they get their fort save against that spell.

Eldritch scion modifies all this in a couple ways. Mainly, "An eldritch scion can only use spell combat while in a state of mystic focus (see eldritch pool, above). At 8th level, an eldritch scion can use spell combat at any time." So until then you need to use a charge of that to be able to do spell combat (the full round do-hicky). You can still cast and deliver the spell through spellstrike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Wait?

Where is this explained. I've just rolled up a ES and right at the start of the game. Can't see it anywhere.

Looks like they just didn't include that I guess, which is fine because anytime it'd come up before level 8 you'd be wanting to use that pool point anyways. It'd be worth checking to see if metamagic works the way its supposed to or if they buffed it as well, that was always the real reason that archetype was so bad (PF normal rules is applying metamagic to a spontaneous standard cast time spell turns it into a full round action).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Offkorn posted:

I'm partial to:

No need to actually defend the tavern ever unless you really want that Amulet of Devouring from the Nabasu.

Since you can stick it on the horse I think its actually a really amazing piece of gear that you shouldn't skip.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

There's a nabasu at the tavern fight? I didn't see any

After the tavern fight, go back to the market where the necromancer was. You probably want some negative energy resist on your tank at the start. The amulet gives [Level] in temp HP after a kill with a natural weapon.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

So I went in blind. I had a bunch of time with Kingmaker but I don't remember much because there was so much to remember and I feel like I'm badly gimped. I finally beat Chapter 1 and I mainly beat the bosses because Fann is a beast who hit Minago with a crit for like 100 points of damage. I'm thinking it's time to respec but I don't even know.

Selen: Usually simple and good. Doesn't need much. But when boss time comes around her AC might as well be tissue paper which makes me wonder why I should bother having a tank in the first place.
Camilla: I don't even know with her. She seems like such a jack-of-all trades character.
Fann: Murder beast (almost literally). But I feel like I could do better than level 9 Zen Archer
Daeran: Great for healing but I think I threw too many 'cure disease/poison/restoration' spells in his list making him kind of bleh in actual combat.
Ember: Her spell pool seemed to lack meaningful buffs. She has heroism and otherwise just throws fire around (to...marginal success since I have to use items just so she has access to fireball). Her hexes/debuffs seem useless because enemies have crazy high saving throws against everything.
PC: Wizard/Conjurer. Mentioned this earlier but even up to 5th level summons suck, except for Earth elemental kinda. I also didn't think of animal companions before making this choice so most maps are already cluttered as is. Debuffs are, again, useless. Has Haste/Heroism/Protection from elements but is again relegated to throwing fire around during battle for lack of anything else productive to do. Both ember and the PC have improved spell resistance piercing but even with that breaking Spell Resistance is difficult.

I really didn't want to entertain 'builds' but I'm getting annoyed with the inefficacy of my party, even if I am going through most things easily enough (mainly because Fann is a murderbeast).

So a couple things to point out that are simple.

Zen archer straight is really strong, not only for all the stuff you get early, but monk gets a lot of defensive/utility stuff that makes them really self sufficient. You also get the unarmed monk attack progression eventually, which is a solid damage increase (2d8 at lvl 20, 4d8 if you're enlarged) and eventually you'll be able to use all your ki tricks with the bow. Make sure you're using a composite bow to benefit from his high strength. There are options to build a stronger archer, but they're not really blowing zen archer out of the water and they give up a lot of the defensive benefits monks get. You could probably do something dirty with like 3 zen archer into mutagen fighter.

With Ember, one key thing to note is that some hexes still take effect on a save. For example, evil eye still applies for 1 round on a save, so you can always reduce their saves with that to enable the "only get to try once" hexes. Cackle is a move action that extends duration of active hexes, so if you're using stuff like evil eye, misfortune, fortune, protective luck, etc you can keep them rolling and build up a really strong amount of buffs the longer an encounter goes on. Or feat her towards overcoming spell penetration and do stuff like evil eye->hold person. Could also give her the "ignore fire resistance" mythic and focus more on being a blaster, but I don't think witches work as well with that outside of like winter witch.

You should still be able to ac tank for quite a while, make sure you're fighting defensively, have 3 ranks of mobility, and various bits of +ac types you find around. You can give Sellen a spell that gives a sacred bonus of +2 which also helps, make sure you have a smite usage for the ac bonus there. If you really wanted you could probably give her the defender prestige class in a couple levels and the mythic power of "when you miss you do aoe sonic damage". Alternatively there are some options to shift her to like bard with the mythic mage armor feat and do a normal pajama tank setup.

As a side note, if you're trying to do anything as an offensive caster you want to play and elf or half-elf, because they get a racial bonus to overcome spell resistance. And you can spend a feat to improve that if you need even more. If you're not an elf, you want to focus on stuff that ignores spell resistence completely, like summons, buffs, a lot of the conjuration spells. Usually just dropping one of the pit spells somewhere good is enough to let the rest of your party clean up without committing more resources. Summon spells until you get to the really big boy levels are terrible against enemy melee stuff but really good for dropping into their archer/mage lines. Even if they're not killing things, stopping the enemy from dropping fireballs or blind or similar things on your real party is incredibly good.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Macrame_God posted:

Loving the game, but holy poo poo that Tavern Defense fight just before you hit level 4 was NOT respectful of my time. poo poo took me 2 hours to complete on Core difficulty with turn based and I failed the first time around because some shithead cultist got a crit on my squishy sorcerer and killed him. Next time I'll just crank the difficulty down for that fight. That took way too long and I was not having fun by the end.

If you hit space during not-your-turn it sets the action speed to max, which vastly accelerates how fast the turns go by. RTWP is faster, but comes with the downside of being harder to react to spawns as they happen. Focus on the key enemies and let the chaff enemies run to the paladin mosh pit and it gets done pretty fast.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Azhais posted:

I tried to kill that vrock a few times but I couldn't even strip it's mirror images between it's actions. It also amuses me in these games how npcs don't react to anything as I ran it over to the inquisitor and no fucks were given. So I just wrote off the shield and was excited to see it just show up in the left behind loot screen

Big pro tip for the early stuff like this: pre-buff lann, give him finnean, have him open the fights, and make sure to use his "extra attack" power liberally. You can also use it alongside his ability that improves his to-hit for 1 attack. The other thing for mirror image is that attacks that its immune to still will strip mirror images, so stuff like acid splash (ranged touch, no sr) are really good if you don't have a disable you're trying to land. Really though, with enlarge and +4 str/dex and a bless potion lann should basically just poop out damage fast enough to kill it in a couple rounds.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Destro posted:

What are some good ways to trigger attacks of opportunity? I'm looking at the neoseeker guides and quite a few of the builds take Ever Ready and I'm not seeing how you get this to work alot.

The big traditional one is centered around trips. So you take something like greater trip (forced AoO when they get tripped) along with felling smash (free trip attempt when you hit someone with power attack), or you get an animal companion with a bite so they get free attempts when landing a bite attack. Also when they stand up they proc another AoO. One of the big benefits is you make your attack at full base, one of the drawbacks is they implemented flying weird so a lot more stuff is immune to trip than normally.

Most of the combat manuevers have feats that let them provoke AoO, but trip is usually the default since prone is a much worse condition than most of the others.

Outflank (teamwork feat) makes them provoke an AoO from anyone who has it when a critical is confirmed (and gives +2 to your flanking bonus). Since flanking is extremely liberal (just need to threaten them) its basically always active and a huge boon.

I don't think I'd take ever ready myself unless someone's stats just don't let them get combat reflexes or they have like 10-12 dex. But dex is an amazing stat so by dumping it you're already into weird gimmick build territory.

Dreylad posted:

What hunter do people usually run Lann at level 4?

edit: sacred huntsman also looks pretty decent with him

edit 2: I think im getting better at theorycrafting. Wanted to try something different with Lann with an Azata, realize they get teamwork feats, so sacred hunstman's teamwork feats aren't necessary, so divine hunter would work well for Lann.

Honestly zen archer is really strong, and leaving him on it means you can respec him to shortbows once he starts getting unarmed dice as weapon damage allowing you to run 2 archers if you want. Monk gets a lot of real nice defensives/qol things and keeps up in the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Anias posted:

Leopards are easily worth being a gnome to ride, fwiw. Scaling with dex is great. Agreed it is Irritating that AC’s don’t grow correctly.

Can't you just use reduce person to be able to ride them after they get their size increase?