Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I would kill for more clear marking of what feats lead to which future traits, because that poo poo always confuses me and I'm rusty as heck in 3.x and don't know where it differs from Pathfinder.

Press the arrow on the bottom to show all options period for a selection menu, as the default option just shows ones you can currently take. Also, you can just hover over (or right click) on feats to see what their prerequisites are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

Any of y'all know where in the save file I can edit whether my kingdom is worried/rioting/chill etc? I kept getting troll attack cards even while my general was already dealing with a troll attack card and my kingdom has basically spiralled as a result, and i'm not that keen on restarting again.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was just about to ask the same thing, I was having fun playing with my kingdom and then the trolls tanked my stability and now my kingdom is at death's door and if it comes to a choice between restarting, I'd just drop the game instead.

Like, for all the faults of other CRPGs you can usually expect the maps to be about acceptable to specific levels, but in this game there are certain fights that a non-Pathfinder fan like me just walks into. Oh, what's that, 3 Greater Enraged Owlbears, should be a fun fight oh they're 1-shotting my Level 6 party and gently caress what the gently caress is this.

They're not on a strict "you will lose the game" timer like the initial conquest or the Bald Hill stuff is, but the troll stuff will absolutely continue ramping up as long as you don't deal with the main problem. Even the last tier of them won't necessarily automatically end your game, but apparently they're pretty brutal - so don't leave that matter unattended (I mean, it is trolls setting up for an invasion). It might ramp up too quick - whether it does or not is probably at least partly going to depend on individual preferences - but there is a clear progression and it generally leaves at least some significant time between each upward tic to realize "I should probably deal with this poo poo".

There is some crossover here with other non-bug complaints - namely being able to pause or cancel ongoing projects to get advisers available again, and the issue that problems always trigger on the 1st of a month if left unattended - but if you've gotten to the point that you're getting drowned in troll cards, you've probably got a real struggle to climb out of that trouble even if they did introduce those two changes.

For time reference, I cleared the fortress... late month 2, early month 3 (I think) and only saw 2 or 3 troll cards total.

As for that group of three of GEOs, yeah they're insane. Tried a few times then just left them alone for some later time.

Eox posted:

I'm holding out for either Reign of Winter or Wrath of the Righteous. How they translate the swift/immediate action heavy Mythic rules to the video game I don't know, but WotR is perfectly suited for the format.

Yeah, I was actually thinking WotW would be a fair follow on that uses at least some of the same mechanics. There's no true kingdom building, but there's still map exploration, and something of a base to build up. A few other modules have similar, I believe, though Kingmaker is the only true kingdom one. Unless they go into 3rd party content and do like Way of the Wicked or something. Iron Gods, on the other hand, is basically literally just point A to point B to point C. Certainly doable in the engine, but doesn't remotely use anything other than the maps and battle system.

As for Mythic stuff... probably just do it like a lot of other per round selectable options in this game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Question about combat casting, it gives a +4 to concentration in order to mitigate casting defensively (and not getting rocked by an AOO). But I'm not seeing how to cast defensively?

If your caster is in melee range, they're casting defensively. Simple as that. It's not actually a toggled option in the game.

Dilber posted:

Under abilities, click the shield icon. That's defensive casting for mages.

...Unless there's a second shield icon, that shield is for fighting defensively, which is completely different (you can hover over it to see what it does). Specifically, -4 to attacks, for a +2(+3 if you have 3 ranks in Mobility) dodge bonus to AC.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 2, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Speedball posted:

Huh! When I checked last a couple days ago it was way worse. Go figure.

70% is "Mostly Positive" and it was hovering just a bit below that as of a day or two ago. Wouldn't have taken too much of a shift to push it over.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

So then unless the shield icon does cast defensively --- it doesn't exist and you'll always eat an AOO?

Reread the first line. The game ALWAYS assumes you're casting defensively if it would be relevant.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

World Famous W posted:

So is Magus just hosed and doing combat casting just going to cause attacks of opportunity forever? Cause I'm about to drop mine and reroll again.

If you fail a defensive cast, you just fizzle the spell, you don't get attacked. People getting AoOed due to casting is because they're casting something like Scorching Ray or Acid Arrow in melee - spells that have a ranged attack roll, and anything with a ranged attack roll provokes. Or because of a very specific high level fighter exclusive feat I'm not certain is even in the game (haven't looked).

As for the numbers... I'm not certain if the game is using the exact numbers (probably, but I haven't noticed defensive cast rolls in the combat log) then the check is a DC 15 plus double spell level, with the roll being a d20 + caster level + relevant ability score (usually INT for maguses) + other bonuses. So you have a pretty good chance of getting your spells off even at lvl 1 in melee, and it very quickly ramps up into being nearly irrelevant.

SettingSun posted:

It's interesting to me that the game doesn't impose any limits on where you're supposed to travel. In the Adventure Path this is based off of, the DM is supposed to railroad the party into exploring south because that's what the first book (chapter) covers.

I'm tempted to pick this game up just to compare it to its source. It might even get me some inside knowledge.

There is some both hard and soft railroading, but the more direct version is only present in act 1 (as far as I'm aware) - a magical fog the Stag Lord summoned means you can't travel outside a predefined area, though said area is still fairly extensive. The soft railroading after that is mainly due to encounter tables differing in various areas, along with the monsters in the actual locations as well - so yes, you can travel anywhere you feel like, but if you wander too far out too soon, you'll probably get squashed.

There are also various encounters off the beaten path you can run into as well even in early areas that you'd probably be best off avoiding until later I'd imagine. Best example I can think of is that a location just east of your capital (once you start act 2) that has a cave on that map... and inside the cave is a Crag Linnorm. Now I'm not certain if it has the full stats or not, because I didn't attack it to find out, but that's a loving CR 14 monster by the original rules.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

What is the relationship between Demoralized (caused by Intimidate checks) and shaken, frightened, and panicked? Good old 3.X and its ten thousand status effects.

Demoralizing someone is just a usage of Intimidate that causes the Shaken condition, it's not a condition itself. Shaken gives a bunch of -2 penalties to a bunch of stuff but they're still in the fight, frightened is "run away if you can," panicked is "run the hell away screaming, dropping anything held as you go, or curl up into a ball if you're stuck." I'm not sure if there's actually a mechanical difference between frightened and panicked in the game.

Keeshhound posted:

One of the superbandits in the surface map of the mites and Kobalds map in Ch1 does 2d6+14 per hit on normal. The 2d6 is from the greatsword, ok fine, what the gently caress is his str?

Assuming 20 STR, you can do it with a 5th lvl fighter with just one feat. +7 from STR for two handing a weapon, +6 for Power Attack, +1 for Weapon Training. If he's only got 18 STR you can actually do it at 4th lvl fighter with two feats - +6 from STR, +6 from Power Attack, +2 from Weapon Specialization.

If he's not a fighter... eh. Probably possible but don't want to go through the various permutations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Spidder posted:

Like how the gently caress do you raise the chances of events succeeding? I keep failing ones that look really important for no apparent reason. I don't even get a choice for which advisor to sent, it's usually just the one.

Ultimately it's just a dice roll, so there's always a chance of failure unless you really jack up the modifiers. Still, rolls are based on their relevant ability stat (which DOES mean that the NPC advisors are always stuck at their base value - or at the very least I don't know a way to raise it) plus kingdom rank (it's +2 per level, so at the starting rank 1 it's +2), plus one other line I'm not certain what it's pulling from - possibly any other bonuses.

Thus, to increase your chances of success you need to either boost the stats of your advisers, boost your kingdom rank, or do various projects that occasionally pop up that give a bonus to one or more rolls. For example, so far I've gotten a military-exclusive project that gives a +2 to military rolls (but you lose 1 point of Military on each failure) and another project I haven't done yet that looks like it gives a +1 bonus to everything.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As a note, while I'd agree that I'm not entirely happy with how they've interpreted a few alignments overall, it seems to take a LOT of chosen dialogue choices to actually switch alignment. Some are certainly weighted higher, but so far starting at NG I've only slightly moved the indicator (mostly in a rough small circle) and I've picked choices from most of the spectrum at this point.

Basically, it feels that clerics and paladins should be generally safe from class ability loss so long as you're not deliberately trying to never pick your alignment option.

edit: Mostly good and neutral options of course, but there's been a few evil picks in there too. Like Lander's solution to the cow issue. Seriously peasants, this is not the baron's problem.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 3, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SubNat posted:

On the topic of Tartuk: Did it feel like there was some kind of mix up there? When Tartuk originally appeared in Chapter 1 I got the impression that it was Tartuccio impersonating him(Aka an existing kobold leader.).
But it feels very vague if Tartuk is actually Tartuk, or if he just got stuck in that role after Tartuccio got resurrected. Or if the PC is just shouting GAME OVER TARTUCCIO at an increasingly confused kobold, while Tartuccio is off doing something else.

But I can't wholly remember what he said as I killed him, either.

Also honestly, some time down the road I'm going to need to replay this game and try my hand at being hella evil, it does seem like there's quite a bit of flavour ( and advisors ) that come with the various stances you can take.

Also a Valerie event/throne room hearing bugged out for me, so now I'm getting kingdom score drops from her being increasingly mad and beating up bards.
(The event/hearing triggered, but it was never resolved because the game threw like 10 throne room hearings in a row at me, so I think it got bugged.
So now it's just acting like I've been ignoring it, and I think I might need to reload a slightly earlier save and see if that fixes it.)

Yeah, that was definitely addressed in that final conversation: When he was rezzed, he basically came back as exactly the thing he was pretending to be, with just dreams and muddled flashbacks to his previous life as Tartuccio. He apparently thought they were just weird dreams too, until you popped up and he eventually figured out it was past memories, plus the two personalities started slightly merging, though Tartuk still seemed mostly dominant - seriously, I don't think Tartuccio would really have that beaten aspect that just wants to wander off and be left alone from now on, he'd be far more spiteful. Aspects of his previous life probably bled through, but he's legitimately a mostly different person.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Taear posted:

I'm saying it's a bad idea to lock that conversation in a place that a lot of people won't ever get to see it.

Why? It's not actually relevant to your overall actions, and it's not something the player HAS to realize. Just killing him flat out because you think he's just so-and-so malicious personality back from the grave, without bothering to ask questions in the matter, is a pretty accurate read on a bunch of adventurers.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, if you happen to have met Ivar the Hunter and gotten the errand quest, when you run into him and find out what his curse is, don't hit him with a kill spell in the battle. I tossed a Phantasmal Killer his way and it, uh, killed him. Which was a problem, because the errand didn't go away (it's resolved once you smack him enough and get a conversation with him). Not a HUGE problem, because it's an unimportant side quest and all, but still annoying.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Magus has fair amounts of similarity to the 3.5 Duskblade (PHB 2 class), but that class never made it into any the computer games as far as I'm aware. Alchemist and Inquisitor are both fairly original to Paizo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Gaider's complaints stink coming from him.

I mean, he whined about Vancian magic in a loving D&D game, as if shocked by its presence. A system that has been present, in one form or another, in basically every single goddamn edition except 4th.

Perhaps complaining about there not being adequate signage to remind someone to do this would be valid, but complaining that it's even a thing? Really?

ugusername posted:

+2 Dueling Sword that sells for ~2000

To be entirely fair, that'd be a really nice reward if you're playing that specific fighter archetype. In all other cases though, meh.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So SOMETHING in the one of today's hotfixes noticeably broke something for me, and it's both temporarily helpful... and concerning. Upon field rest, Harrim got ten extra charges of channel over his default amount (so 13) and it's creeping up by 1 after each rest. Will try resting in town after clearing the Lamashtu dungeon, and see if that resets it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Prism posted:

I got the list by scrolling down to the bottom in chargen and the prerequisites are there. The requirements are:

Arcane Trickster: Trickery 4, Mobility 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Sneak Attack 2(d6, I assume), 2nd level arcane spells
Stalwart Defender: Dodge, Toughness, base attack bonus +7
Eldritch Knight: Martial weapons proficiency, 3rd level arcane spells
Dragon Disciple: Knowledge (Arcana) 5, spontaneously cast 1st level arcane spells
Mystic Theurge: Knowledge (Arcana) 3, Lore (Religion) 3, 2nd level arcane spells, 2nd level divine spells
Duelist: Mobility 2, Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Combat Mobility, base attack bonus +6

In all honesty, most of the companions are built to allow easy entry into various prestige classes. Octavia into Trickster and Valerie into Stalwart Defender are the blatantly obvious ones, but Regongar into Dragon Disciple is easily accomplished, and Tristian certainly has the stats to do Theurge (via a Sorcerer of some variety). That really only leaves Eldritch Knight and Duelist as lacking companions that easily slot into them. Okay that's a slight lie, as Nok-Nok could get into Duelist easily enough - don't actually do that though, as UC Rogue is much better for him - and I suppose you could slot Regongar into Knight as well, but that'd be utterly pointless.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the other hand, this is just some other type of magic weapon given that name. By goblins. So even if it's accidental, it makes perfect sense and works fine!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

the_steve posted:

So, I don't usually multiclass. Is an Eldritch Scion Magus/Dragon Disciple as fun as it sounds? Or is there some sort of snag that makes it bad?

Mainly just giving up the higher level Magus abilities. As opposed to something like Sorc/Fighter into Dragon Disciple, you actually notable class features you gain upon level-up at higher levels of Magus, so it's something you actually want to look at and consider. Smart suggestion is to unlock Dragon Disciple, then just go through what both classes get, and decide for yourself if the gains are worth the losses.

Or do a playthrough as something else, and just level Regongar as that. Then you have the option of either using him and seeing how it works out, or just using someone else if you don't think it is.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Prism posted:

Are you likely to actually get to 20 in Kingmaker? I assumed it generally topped out around 15-16 like most of the pen and paper adventure paths do (Wrath of the Righteous excepted).

Yeah, it was said somewhere that you actually are expected to hit 20 enough before the end that you'll actually have some time to play around at that level. I want to say there's also supposed to be a small post-main plotline adventure too, but could be misremembering that one. Not that anyone's finished the game yet or anything to confirm, so far as I'm aware.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Also the ranger rules.

Also IMO neutral actions shouldn't move your alignment on that axis. If I, a paladin, choose the neutral good option, it shouldn't move my alignment towards falling.

The arcane trickster seems decent, is it not?

The rule of thumb is generally due to the issue that most of the classes Pathfinder either ported over or invented keep gaining features or progressing in relevant ways as they go up in levels, rather than the old 3.5 issue where a bunch are frontloaded and then have either nothing or minor buffs. There are also the capstones for most classes to encourage single-classing as well. Wizard (and Clerics, for that matter) are kind of the exception to that rule though, in that neither has a capstone, and level progression in either doesn't come with too many bonuses - especially after lvl 8, when both generally get the second ability of their domain/school.

As for Theurge, it has always been a somewhat dubious choice due to the massive slowdown in spell progression, and loss of anything else from the base classes, in order to get in to Theurge - Tristian, for example, needs Cleric 3/Sorcerer 4 to get in, and being at 6th/7th level with only 2nd level spells and nothing else worth mentioning is painful. Yeah, once you've mostly completely Mystic Theurge it's decent, but everything leading up to that is a slog. You can get around that slog in this game though simply by using someone else in your party and just building Tristian for that on the side.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

So a Crag Linnorm... as a pathfinder noob, at level 6 I should just back away slowly, get out of range, and run screaming as soon as safe, right?

Yes, yes you should.

Incidentally, in addition to everything else nasty about it (it's theoretically a good encounter for a lvl 14 party), Linnorms have Regeneration... that's only turned off by cold iron. Hope you actually checked a shop and picked up one of those weapons!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

lurksion posted:

Candlekeep Tower. Man this was a bitch at level six. Communal resist energy is a requirement, and you don't have communal protection from energy yet. And then the boss just spams magic missile (murdering Linzie). Oh bring lots of glitterdust too.

Oh, are wisps immune to alchemist stuff? They are immune to everything except magic missile spell-wise at least - do alchemist bombs count as such? If they do, then bring the rear end in a top hat gnome.

Serious suggestion: Wait until level 7 to do Candlemere. At that point Resist Energy jumps to resist 20, which blocks virtually all of their damage outside crits. There's also so many of them that I really would not recommend relying on Protection from Energy, as they'll burn through it in no time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Yepp. But she is aggressively not a paladin. I mean she acts like one and has the stats of one, but bring up her paladinity and she flips.

Nah, she doesn't remotely act like a paladin, even accounting for this game's aggressively kill-happy interpretation of Lawful Good. She very much acts Lawful, and Lawful alone (outside venturing into Lawful Stupid on multiple occasions - though I do find it funny her Int score actually backs this up). Like, I can think of at least one occasion just off the top of my head where following her suggestions are actually the evil things to do The Goblin Fort - she suggests waiting multiple times on that map while the gobbos do horrible things to captives.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

From a mechanical standpoint, Valerie is really loving bad at the beginning. Between the mediocre strength and wielding a tower shield (before her archetype fixes the attack penalty), she's terrible at actually hitting things. This eventually fixes itself as she gains levels, and building for Cornugon Smash/Dazzling Display/whatever isn't a bad idead, but it's not a good first impression. Once she removes that -2 penalty she hits things alright, but that's several levels away (or a gear swap).

The game doubles down on this by also giving you Amiri, who's ALSO eating an attack penalty if you use her default gear. Which means both the primary front-liners you get are iffy at lvl 1-2. This isn't great as an introduction party.

I do agree that complaints about any of the other companions are generally overblown though (from a mechanical perspective, at least).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's why I am reluctant to get web.

If you don't like waiting around, you can try throwing a dispel at it. Waste of resources since you can just wait around a few minutes, and not guaranteed to work, but it does speed things up (especially if it's a sorc with dispel, so you can just spam it until it sticks). It is a very good crowd control spell though, and has been responsible for quite a few victories that would have been extremely painful/difficult - to probably nigh impossible - without it.

Not that it's not annoying, especially since the spell IS dismissable in the tabletop rules, but trying to code spells to be dismissable was probably a bit too convoluted and liable to just break stuff. Which, given all the bugs still in the game, means it's probably best that system wasn't tried.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, if you're mainly just fighting all the bugs and stuff in the lower level, it's really not that bad. And honestly, the two races don't seem like they should be too hard to deal with either if you're even vaguely prepared. The kobolds shouldn't be too bad as long as you bring along resistance to fire to deal with the alchemists and fire mages, and the mite DR, while annoying, shouldn't be enough to prevent you from chopping through them - it might just take a little longer. Neither sides have particularly boosted stats or anything, there's just a bunch of them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Roadie posted:

That Reddit post seems pretty good. They have a good summary of how the settings depart from the tabletops:

One other thing to keep in mind is that Owlcat seems to have balanced a bunch of things around the lovely tedium of the higher difficulties, so you have easy access to a bajillion cheap potions and scrolls of everything so you can (and on Challenging, have to) re-up short duration buffs before every fight and stuff like that.

It's fairly good, though I've found starting with a default of challenging, then just turning down the one drop down menu for enemy stat adjustments from "harder than normal" to just "normal" works out fairly well the vast majority of the time. Cleared everything up to the Stag Lord with those settings alright, and generally left them on that afterwards as well.

Also, at this point most random enemies are fairly reasonable - there's still boosted stats on some, but even those generally aren't too threatening (who cares if a goblin has +6 DEX, it's still a goblin). It's just a few random things still that are way harder than they have any right to be - in particular, Owlbears with any titles whatsoever seem to be the most reliable things to have incredibly dumb stats. Like, +44 to-hit in a limited time, limited access area (First World area of Lamashtu's Womb) - where every other enemy has like +15-20 to-hit - absurd.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eox posted:

The kingdom building minigame has all the makings of a good subsystem, but it is loving bananas how close they decided to hew to the tabletop system where you always have a GM to say "actually this is horseshit." The previously mentioned failure spiral means I have not been able to get past Worried since chapter 2, spending most of my time at Crumbling because my worthless NPC advisors have maybe +1 or +2 and no matter what bonuses I scrape together they never measure up to those you can slap a headband on. DC 35 Problems are spawning and what the hell can i do about that? Meanwhile the game aggressively throws events at you during storyline stuff where every day or so you lose -6 to three stats (or -10 to like loving six a few chapters ago, repeating over and over) and either the UI is so unreadable or the game is so bugged that they don't stop coming until well after you've personally dealt with the threat. It makes what should be either a central mechanic or a diversion into an utter loving chore with little to no breathing room.

I have kingdom management set to easy

Where the hell are you in the game? I'm well over a year in, and have NEVER seen an event with a DC even remotely that high. Like, I haven't seen one that even cracked 20 - most have been 15 or less. Was it a troll event? Because as far as I'm aware the end-of-the-line troll events are vicious. Possibly too vicious, but really, it's a loving troll invasion you've been warned about repeatedly for months.

None of the possible advisors have only +1 or +2, as far as I'm aware, and certainly not in their favored role. It's based on a specific stat for each role if it's a PC, and the starting NPC ones seem to be unilaterally +3 instead (I KNOW Jhod and Lander are, and the Brevoy half-orc is either that or +4). And that's not factoring in that you get a +2 bonus for each kingdom rank for that position, including Rank 1, which means that at a minimum you're looking at a +5 even just starting out. On normal difficulty, not easy. Moreover, you can definitely get projects you can do to boost those base stats for them as well.

There are definitely issues with the town building part, notably problems/opportunities always expiring on the 1st, but even with that it's fairly simple to keep on top of, as long as you're actually prioritizing the problems, once you get used to the cycle.

Eox posted:

Has anyone figured out the trigger for claiming the Northern Narlmarches? I've fully explored them, claimed all bordering regions and ranked up my stats a fair few times but it sits there blue and untamable.

I didn't have it pop up for being a possible claiming option until a bit after the Kamelands became available, despite being a cheaper project to claim and having had the (initial, from what I understand) temple restoration project done by like month 4-5 or so. I honestly have absolutely no clue what the trigger, if there even is one, for that option is. Just keep playing and it'll pop up eventually, I guess?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eox posted:

I am level 14 and just about to start Sound of a Thousand Screams, which is the final chapter of the AP. It makes sense that DCs should be that high at this level, but there's a massive gulf between advisors who can wear stat boosting items and/or have roles that rank up often and the poo poo NPCs like Kassil Aldori and Kesten Garess. I think that the "improve (x)'s skills as an advisor" projects are supposed to increase their bonus, but hell if I can tell when Amiri is hovering around +12 at Crumbling and my sole viable Warden has a +1 bonus for events that only he can do.

edit: when the order of the nail comes knocking, tell them to gently caress themselves. if they set up shop it'll slowly drain your loyalty and stability.

It's possible that some bonuses are currently bugged by some hotfix or another. Like, my general position is supposed to be getting a +2 bonus from a completed project that I don't think he's getting, and I recently completed a +1 upgrade for Lander specifically, which I'm not certain if he's getting it or not. Order of the Nail probably won't be a concern for me, given this game is a NG kingdom. Though if they did show up they'd definitely be told to gently caress off, regardless of statistical gain/loss.

As a note, possibly related to the above, but at least certain competence bonuses are DEFINITELY not working (for me at least). I've had both the lesser and normal versions of Bracers of Archery floating around my party for a while, and they're not actually giving a to-hit bonus at the moment (it's supposed to be a competence bonus), though the damage bonus(also a competence bonus) on the normal version is still working for whatever reason. And I know the to-hit bonus was working at some point, so it was definitely one hotfix or another that broke it. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that it's being caused by some tweak that's affecting other bonuses a well. It's hard for me to check if it's limited to just the bracers or competence bonuses in general though, as I don't think I've got anything else that gives a competence bonus to attack at the moment to cross-check.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's not a demilich - in fact it's not undead at all. It's a named Will-o'-Wisp, which is why it uses electricity and fear attacks only. The things feed on fear, which is why it terrifies people before killing them. There's also a sequence of named Will-o'-Wisps scattered throughout the game, so it's definitely flavor of some sort. And I honestly disagree with there being wildly out of proportion challenges scattered around being bad.

As long as there's either a good clue (like the camp filled with people who died of burns while terrified - seriously, it's blatant schmuck bait) or they're in a side area it's fine (like the Crag Linnorm) I don't have a problem with it. The real problems with overtuned stats are the odd random enemies with no real indicator other than just an adjective added to the base name, with stats wildly out of line with what it should have.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Do you know what it's like to solo a regenning redcap with bullshit massive stats? I'll tell you. It loving sucks.

...It doesn't have massive stats though? I successfully stabbed it a few times (with the cold iron longsword you can buy in town) with a pure STR 10 sorcerer, before going back to burning it to death, and I wasn't rolling 20s or anything on the hits.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dilber posted:

The journal also tells you to bring potions of invisibility. It's one of the sections they telegraph correctly.

Eh, there's still one Redcap that'll probably spot you on the upper path if your character hasn't actually invested points in Stealth, so thought that was the one they were specifically complaining about And that one isn't entirely a cakewalk for everyone, but melee characters in particular shouldn't really have an issue with it.

Glenn Quebec posted:

It felt like a real slog + the owlbear was really kicking my rear end ad nauseum

Of course the stuff down below was kicking your rear end solo (it's technically doable, but why?) - that's why the game warned you in multiple ways to bring invisibility or the equivalent. And you started specifically complaining about the Redcap.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

lurksion posted:

Saving the two Aldori sisters in the Hunting Quest from super owlbear is such a pain ugh. Even pre-casting haste before triggering it one gets murdered before you make it. Had to get lucky on initiative and RNG for a will CC to land first.

Did you actually get anything out of it? Tried it once on normal monster difficulty, and both got gibbed before I could really engage, then retried on the lowest possible difficulty setting and they still got gibbed before I could do much. Given the end of the event had no penalty for them getting killed, I just sold their magic gear and moved on. Probably could have restarted until I got some disabling spell to stick before the owlbear went, but didn't care that much.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Actually in the tabletop Sylvan Sorcerer is way way more insane, because you can (for example) use permanent buffs to turn your animal bipedal and give them armor and magic weapons and poo poo, or cast enlarge person on them to make your bird friend gigantic, etc. Sneak attacks however have been massively buffed by the weird game rules here which makes archery more viable

Weapon use is EXTREMELY dubious and generally relies on a ludicrously permissive DM. And while people can certainly get their animal companions armor/barding in the base game, their AC is already heavily boosted here - animal companions in PnP don't have remotely close to 45-46 AC at max level before any buffs whatsoever, but they do in Kingmaker. Also, Enlarge Person is poo poo compared to just tossing Animal Growth on them. Or using a (Beast/Plant/Dragon/Whatever)Shape spell on them. And no, they don't stack.

Archery takes a lot of feats to optimize, but the end result is generally pretty good, given they don't actually have to move to full attack. Also, the various spells that completely and utterly shut down archery (if the DM is feeling mean, something like Wind Wall or Fickle Winds flat out kills your build) aren't in the game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Prism posted:

No comment on the rest of it, but weapon use isn't dubious and doesn't require a permissive DM when you can cast anthropomorphic animal, which explicitly allows use of weapons.

It isn't proficient in them, but there are plenty of ways around that.

I've actually never noticed that spell. I'm still not sure why you WOULD, since most of the more optimal animal companions are better off just using their normal attack routine (which they lose most of) and they don't actually gain proficiency with any weapons meaning they're taking heavy penalties without taking feats, but they certainly can. If anything, it seems like it'd work far better with Awakened animals.

Anyways, was running the numbers on a Wolf, and its AC in Kingmaker is 21 points higher than its PnP counterpart. All 3 physical stats get heavy boosts as well - STR you could get slightly higher with full magical gear and 4/8/12/16 stat boosts, but DEX and CON are both significantly higher than what would be possible with the PnP version.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 22, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Also, Lovecraft. Or more accurately, they love tossing elder mythos stuff around (not so much the other aspects of him). Like, a fair chunk of the APs have some elder mythos diversion somewhere in them, even if it's not the entire point of the AP (i.e. Strange Aeons, which is the specifically occult one).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Prism posted:

Spoilers in case anyone is still doing Iron Gods:

I played a barbarian worshipper of Gorum (Our Lord in Iron, CN god of strength and battle, though she herself was CG) who decided the only thing more appropriate than wearing iron was installing it. She ended the AP with a cybernetic arm and an artificial heart mod, and wielded a combat chainsaw, which she used to cut things up to and including a nascent AI deity in virtual reality; it turns out the Final Fantasy Legend was right and you can kill God with a sufficiently well-enchanted chainsaw.

Our android wizard also had a railgun. He headshot an artificial angel with it.

Edit: The Technic League is a league of evil wizards from Numeria who dug out high technology, including robots (gearsmen), from the wreck of a starship. If their encounter in Kingmaker doesn't have any gearsmen or at least a laser gun, what's the point?

Double edit: whoops, fixed spoiler tags

Gearsmen, and robots in general, are horrid loving poo poo at low levels. Having hardness instead of DR (which means they reduce ALL damage by a set amount, not just weapon damage) is an incredibly nasty thing to dump on a party not prepared for it. Also, pretty sure the scrubs making up that slaving party are nowhere near high enough on the totem pole to get gearsmen guards.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Taear posted:

It gives the impression that they would be.
It'd require a whole new art asset to be made for just one encounter though.

Also, who are the Nazis in the golarion map posted above?

The large one is Cheliax. Aka the nation that used to be the Lawful Neutral nation that was the center of worship for humanity's major god, Aroden. Then he was prophesized to reappear on Golarion ~100 years ago... and failed to reappear - oh, and all his clerics had their connection broken at that same time and a bunch went insane. Unsurprisingly, the country went into a brutal civil war. The eventual winners were a family that made a deal with Asmodeus for heavy devil support, so the country has become the chief Lawful Evil country on the continent now (what with being literal devil worshippers and all). So an extremely authoritarian state that's very humanocentric (though they were beforehand too). It's actually fairly internally stable even without outward-looking conquests (though they are looking outward), and actual persecution is generally limited to halflings (viewed as good slaves) and tieflings*, rather than all non-humans, so the label isn't completely apt, but it's close enough for a meme map.

The smaller one is Nidal, which is just strange. It's an ancient nation that's basically worshipped the Lawful Evil god of pain and darkness for a long, long time.

*: Basically due to being viewed as either associated with demons (REALLY loving bad in the devil-worshipping country), or the reminder of someone loving up their attempting dealings with some devil or another.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Aeolusdallas posted:

I am pretty sure you are not supposed to fight that group. Just disable the traps and rob them..

It's perfectly possible to fight them, but it's a reasonably optimized (not bullshit unfair stats, like some encounters, just optimized) encounter against a party of enemies with 4 class levels each (I believe - the greatsworder almost certainly does). The rather high DC traps, compared to the rest of the area, surrounding the entirety of their campsite is a pretty good warning that you should be on your toes though if you do decide to attack them though.

Eox posted:

There is a good bit of nazi imagery in there too, this is their flag

Well yeah, Paizo have tried to push the connection a bunch, but when you actually break it down there's a lot of differences (because Paizo's staff seems to have only a surface level understanding of a bunch of their inserted social/political ideas). One big one being Cheliax is actually rather competent and savvy, both internally and diplomatically - something I don't think you can say about any RL ones (the German ones certainly weren't). They're both ruthlessly authoritarian, but there's a huge amount of variance within that overall type of governance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, you're building a kingdom in a lovely swamp because no one else wants the land. All the good land on the continent has been taken.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Those adventurers don't have a sweet castle to sleep in while they wander to whatever the hell a 'worldwound' is. They also aren't spending their time fighting ghost spiders on a nearby hill. Cowards.

The Worldwound is effectively a slightly less lethal Chaos Wastes (as in just walking around isn't probably going to horribly mutate/kill you, like the CW will) due to a Demon Lord ripping a hole in reality with a direct connection to the Abyss. Country around said hole proceeded to get hosed. Two guesses how long those adventurers likely last.

The actual Worldwound AP has the heroes involved becoming literally mythic heroes (a PF rules subsystem that's only been used for that AP for the PCs - it's INCREDIBLY powerful) in order to deal with the threats therein, because being just normal PC heroes wasn't remotely enough. Given it ends with an optional encounter against said Demon Lord, this might give you an idea of the power involved.