Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hi, I like Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights And Pillars of Eternity. Is this game for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

redreader posted:

Yes it is! You may want to wait for some balancing / bug fixes though, although it is quite playable now.

Thanks! Is this a low level adventure or does it get into the higher levels, like around 20 or so? That’s when 3.5 ED gets fun for me with neato class builds.

Also, while I’m familiar with 3.5 rules, does the game have prestige classes?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thanks for all the responses! I’ll probably wait a bit to see it get patched properly, then I’ll leap upon the “purchase for myself button” that prances around in Steam. Currently still playing Deadfire anyway so I’m full up on iso rtwp games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Game is on sale for $30 bucks right now. Is it patched into a good stable game yet, or should I wait a while longer? Also, how many hours of gameplay is up in this beotch?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve always seen DND Paladins as like members of the KKK. They’re religious zealots who think they’re way is the only right way, you’re either with them or against them, and certain races ARE monsters to them. I like the idea of role playing a similar type character whose able to have his eyes opened over the course of an adventure. However, with fallen Paladin mechanics it’s hard to do because you’re player will become useless. I’m speaking about DND I’m general though; haven’t played Pathfinder. Speaking of which...I’m getting the itch...to spend money on a new game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zane posted:

i think the argument--most charitably--is that paladins should be broadly understood as religious fanatics who fight for a rigidly constructed concept of the good. the kkk didn't think they were doing evil. it's not the best analogy but it is true that the more proximate medieval analogues--european templars--led violent crusades against foreigners.

This is where I was going with my argument. The KKK does what they do as good “Christians” and believes they are ridding the world of evil. They don’t do what they do to consolidate power and believe they are the good guys. Paladins aren’t much different. Typically if they see a kobold, even a decent/talking one like Deekin, they’ll stab it with prejudice. “Evil” alignments do what they do for gain of power, be it in a chaotic fashion, or following a set of rules (lawful).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since it's on sale, and seems fairly patched up, I've bought and downloaded. I made a new character (Human Magus) and the first thing I can think of is "holy poo poo this game is complex. I knew going in it would be a deep game, but I've played all the IE engine and NWN nights games as well as the Pillars series. And this looks one or two levels beyond that in complexity.

Edit: are there any good portrait packs out there? The game doesn't have very many at all. Also, why do these games insist on making me choose a portrait when I haven't even defined my race/class yet? As it is, I always go "what looks good" and then make a character around that picture. That's backwards.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is this a game where every build is viable, or are some classes trash? I don't mind a class being weaker as long as it can experience a bulk of the content and be able to finish the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kalas posted:

You used an apples and orange question.

Every class has it's own perks and potential, but if you use a poo poo build the class will be poo poo. Not every aspect of a class works, but you can usually munchkin out something if you try.

If you ask about specific classes we can give you more guidance.

All that being said, I probably wouldn't play a cleric as there's already 2 cleric NPCs and they don't really stack. However, both of those have shortcomings in their pre-made builds (no armor cleric or low CHA dwarf cleric). Though, if I wanted to 'fix' the healing of the NPCs, I'd probably do a Hospitaler paladin.

You're right, I just meant are there any dead-end classes that, despite build, can't be used. But I also forgot 3E is that "pick a class on level up" system so if I can kinda build however. I'm using a Magus as my main starting class, with the Black Dragon Bloodline.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oh yea, meant to ask this earlier. I remember reading earlier in the thread that there were certain moments where the base building wouldn't give you enough time to respond to events. Is that still the case, and should I lower my base-building difficulty if I don't want to deal with that? Or is it reasonable now?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Great information, thanks a bunch! I'm looking forward to get into this some more. I thought Neverwinter 2 was the king of diverse character development, and this seems to take it to a whole other level. I hope more prestige classes and such come out over time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm still mucking about with the tutorial but I have a general question about the game: are there lots of cool/neat areas to explore? One of the things I love about Pillars and Baldur's Gate is the variety of locations and environments you'll pass through on your adventure.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Motherfucker posted:

Great. I accidentally gave this game another chance and it loving dissapoints me even now. Todays fun bug is half my characters, not all of them but some, are incapable of moving faster than a walk. Any discussion on this topic becomes a cyclical whirlpool of 'Its just encumbrance' 'Its just weather' 'Its just exhaustion' 'Its just one of the thousands of loving tedious mechanics that ruin the movement speed of your characters' followed by the person rebuking every single one of those with proof followed by some new lot of people joining the conversation and saying 'Its just encumbrance.' 'Its just weather' 'Its just exhaustion' while nobody can actually pinpoint the real reason.

I’m still in the tutorial area and this happened to me. It started after I turned on “stealth mode.” I turned it off and my dudes were still strolling with leisure. I dumped half of my inventory and it still happened. Reloading my game fixed it, but it’s still weird. Unless I’m missing something simple/dumb?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm thinking about firing up this game again and giving it a good go with a try attempt at playing it. I'm going to put everything on easy. Are there any actual "stay the gently caress away from that " classes? I could Google up some fun beginner half-orc barb builds, but I like making my own special snowflake. is the game easy enough on easy that most classes can make it through?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

grah posted:

As long as your build is reasonably coherent you should be fine. I haven't played every class in the game obviously but I haven't encountered any really bad classes. Traditional Monk is probably not great, and I don't like Tower Shield Fighter much I guess?

Any good battlemage style classes I can go for? Something that tanks a bit, does some melee'ing, but also handy with a spell? I'm reasonably familiar with 3.5ed D&D and have played all the classic Infinity Engine games + Neverwinter Nights. But never Pathfinder and the amount of options looks absolutely insane.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does Slayer get a doggy?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I need to install Pathfinder again anyway and play through it one day. Maybe the Enhanced Update is the time to do it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alright, I've been hankering for some isometric party based goodness, so now's the time to finally jump into this game, I imagine. Also, I remember reading that the new dungeon, while intended to be standalone, is also integrated into the campaign so you can take your main character through it. is that correct? I'm not a fan of disconnected content. That's why I never even tried the black pits in BG1/2.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

corn in the bible posted:

the store page says that there's a pre-defined version of the dungeon that appears in the campaign for you to explore, but the roguelike mode with randomized runs and unlocks and stuff is a separate thing

Ok, cool. Does it say gameplay length of that dungeon per chance? I can't view it at work. Any advice on a new character build? My experience with this ruleset is mainly NWN1/2 and RtWP I've played all the Infinity Engine/Pillars games. I tried an hour or so of this game a few months ago but found a lot of it obtuse, but I may have not had the patience then either.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

corn in the bible posted:

Doesn't say, so I've no idea how long it's supposed to be.

Also they finally added respeccing which is good because you will never ever make a viable character without having played the game partway through

Ok, that's good news. I'll probably just pick what looks interesting and lower the difficulty my first time through just to learn the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm also going back in with the EE. Only had about 35 min in before I gave up last time. I started this time with a fairly boring class/race (Human Crusader) that I thought was safe enough to get a grip with the rules. I'm playing on easy with easy kingdom management and critical hits set to weak instead of none. I'm actually kind of excited this time to get through this now that it's about as feature complete as it's likely to be.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Apparently custom portrait packs have a bug where the game deletes them? I installed a huge portrait pack from the nexus and after loading the game, then going back to the folder, it deleted all but a dozen or so out of 200+. Literally deleted. Their in the recycle been ffs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sweet, I was just playing this last night and running into the issue; glad they hotfixed it. Is there a way to change a portrait/looks on a character in progress? Or do I need to start a new game to pick a portrait? I'm only in the tutorial so it's not a big deal either way.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

grah posted:

I think the only way would be to use the re-spec through anoriel, which costs gold and lets you rebuild your entire character, from portrait on up.

Ok dokey, I'll prob just restart then. It won't take but <30 minutes to get back to where I was. Here's question: how much environment variety is in this game? Everywhere I'm reading says it's a 100+ hour game, so are there tons of cool looking environments, or is it all mild/temperate type areas and indoors stuff?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Perfect Potato posted:

If you're using a custom portrait you could just change the images in the portrait folder and it should update in-game, at least I remember it doing that

That's what I was talking about. Dropping portraits into the portrait folder, and they were being deleted by the game. But it's been fixed now so yay!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it safe to loot all the things or will I get alignment penalties or some other punishment for doing so? I looted a couple of boxes in Oleg’s and didn’t see any obvious penalty pop up.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Another quick question: is there any reason not to have "inspect" mode enabled at all times? It doesn't seem to inhibit movement or anything like in NWN.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. It's just an interface toggle for getting more info on things. I thought it was similar to "search" from NWN.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 8, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the tips. What do you think of this build:

Human sorcerer with Arcane bloodline.

STR 8
DEX 16
CON 10
INT 14
WIS 12
CHA 18

Spell Focus + Greater Focus in Enchantment, Spell Focus in Transmutation (they strangely did not ask me to pick opposition schools). Centipede familiar for the Will save bonus. Knowledge (World) as a class skill. My starting spells are Sleep (which I remember being OP in the first Baldur's Gate) and Hypnotism (another Enchantment spell).

Why is your portrait a dude in full plate armor?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm maybe 5-6 hours in and starting to see how/why this game has so many hours of content. That overworld map is huge and I've spent several hours just exploring the Old Sycamore site and dungeon beneath. I'm digging this game so far. I'm only playing on easy and it's a cakewalk. Is this one of those games where if I turn it up to normal it'll then be a slog?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ilitarist posted:

It was a slog for me on normal and I didn't like both easy battles and hard battles that stopped being hard once I buffed.

I imagine that it's incredibly boring on easier difficulty cause you still have to suffer through slow combat but now there are no stakes or challenge. What's the point of playing it like that?

The combat is not slow though. As soon as I unpause enemies loving explode. The only enemy I've encountered who was a challenge was some ghost dude or whatever when I rested at the top-left part of the Sycamore area. I'm still level 3 and this dude skull thing was like level 14 or something. I'm assuming that's meant for high level characters anyway.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of wil-o-wisps -- all of whom have royal names and titles. Resist electricity and praying for 20's should do the trick.

Is that what it is? It looked like a Demi-Lich. Either way, I'll come back later. I also like the resting mechanic. It might get old after a while, but it's need to actually have to "manage" rest and watch my party ramble to each other. My only very minor complaint so far is that I wish I could zoom out more.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What level should I be around by the end of the first part/getting rid of the Stag Lord?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have a good-aligned party and also picked up Jaethal, the dead girl. Is the evil-dead girl gonna rub my other party members the wrong way, or will everyone be fine?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I didn't realize until last night that the Stag Lord quest has a time limit of 90 days. I'm sure I'll finish it before then, but what happens if I don't? Game over/reload?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I'm kinda just goofing off an exploring and have 69 days to go. It's not a bad limit, I just didn't noticed that there was an actual limit. Still digging the game so far. My only very minor complaint is that the graphics/environment art doesn't pop nearly as much as the Infinity Engine or Pillars games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it better to multi class the poo poo out of the party members, or is it ok to just level them in their main classes? The class/level system of 3rd ED is something I have a love hate relationship with.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any good Sorcerer party members who aren't evil? I made my own merc character whose a Sorc because imo those are the best spell casting classes, but that's one slot I'm not keeping a useful party member in with banter and story line.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JamMasterJim posted:

If you mean full arcane spellcaster in general, technically just one who is chaotic good (1 rogue/1 wizard). Specifically sorcerer... pretty much you. In my sorcerer playthrough, I'd put her in at times. You can swap party members rather freely since xp share keeps them up to date.

Good point about the swapping. I'll do that. Is it worth doing the companion quests for evil characters if I'm not evil, or should I save them for another playthrough? Also, is there a stash in the game? I have some good enchanted weapons I'm afraid to sell because future party members might could use them, but I also need to keep my encumbrance down.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JamMasterJim posted:

Maybe helping the evil companions will bring a positive change. You do not have to do just evil choices to finish them, anyway.

There is a stash at Oleg's for the first chapter, which will later transfer to your throne room when you get your Kingdom.

This is good info, thanks! I was thinking this was more similar to BG where the evil companions would just piss off the rest of my party, or defect, and become a liability either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of camp, does spoiling a meal when resting affect anything? My main character is my cook and he's not the best and burns the food constantly. But if I put anyone else there it means we'll be incapable of camouflaging the camp or hunting.