Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm the fighter who put all her points into constitution and charisma and has trouble carrying her starting gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I probably already know the answer to this, but does the game use PF's existing domain management rules? 'Cause those were, uh... not great.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assumed it's because of her paladin-y backstory.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mem posted:

How close to 3e/nwn rules is pathfinder? Thinking about picking this up but I dont really have time to pour through hundreds of spells and feats and what not trying to learn the systems. I've probably played nwn and its sequel for over a thousand hours, so I know the ins and outs of 3rd edition.

Probably going to play a half-orc barbarian with a giant gently caress-off axe, but figured some knowledge would be required to manage the party.

"What if 3.5, but grappling was a bit simpler and wildshape was toned down a tad?"

It will be very familiar to you.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taear posted:

What if 3.5 but there's some more classes and a billion billion types of weapon all with their own proficency?
The game sure loves Exotic weapons.
"Firearms rules" is apparently some sort of arcane phrase that inflicts madness on any d20 developer.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

corn in the bible posted:

Valerie, telling lies again
A very powerful inclusion in a game that uses a system that was developed partially out of a reflexive hostility to tanking mechanics in D&D.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zodiac5000 posted:

Most of BG2's folks were fine, weren't they? I recall they actually maxed the main stat important to their class and that's really all I can ask.
Cernd's subclass was kind of broken and a decent pile really hurt for some stat adjusting items (Viconia with strength, Keldorn with dex, Jaheira... was Jaheira, etc.). But BG2 generally had less character building than anything derived from 3e.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taear posted:

Octavia does it automatically if you let the game level her. Otherwise they're quite low down and I never even look at them, I just clicked on the class they're already on to level them up.

In a similar vein I'm finding it REALLY hard to stay Chaotic Good because it comes up so rarely, it's always chaotic evil.

I'm going to say that if it was turn based I might pay more attention but as it is with 4 spellcasters that all have huge spell libraries I just barely ever cast any spells because it's so much loving hassle. I don't even buff. There's too much going on and no reason to care. Like it's not going to make these fights more fun, it'll just make them take longer and this game is all about things taking long enough as it is!

Just got myself a weapon called Dogsilcer +1. I'm not sure if it's meant to be called silcer, perhaps it is. The description says "Nais, sharp, edgeeee" anyway, so maybe it is deliberate, who knows with this game.

Typo.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My wild theory is that people wouldn't hate Grieving Mother half as much if her voice recording wasn't so bad.

"Ssssilenccce ssssurroundssss me."

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taear posted:

The game requiring rolls for skills feels really bloody stupid to me, especially since you can just reload and try it again. That's not good game design and hasn't been part of CRPGs for absolutely ages.
And yet, Fallout 4.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's especially weird because, like... there are Official Stats for Amiri, and she has 18 strength at level 1 there.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would you make a RTWP game out of Pathfinder and keep all of the action types.

Wh

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glenn Quebec posted:

Not being to escape plus unfaithful stat adaptations for enemies is bullshit no matter how much you like the game or philosophize the game design.
To be fair, "not being able to escape combat" maps to most Pathfinder experiences pretty well.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Koth posted:

The smaller one is Nidal, which is just strange. It's an ancient nation that's basically worshipped the Lawful Evil god of pain and darkness for a long, long time.

What's that? An excuse to post the best* piece of Pathfinder art ever made? Well, okay then...

Behold the clergy of Zon-Kuthon, god of cenobites.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eox posted:

edit: actually, this one has the iconic paladin getting the poo poo kicked out of her by a house

It also has the iconic sorcerer getting some sort of polymorph spell cast on her legs, by the looks of things.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordecai posted:

Weird, I played in Pathfinder Society for a few months and everyone was complaining about how OP kineticists were.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Kineticist was made by people who thought that the third edition warlock was grossly overpowered.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keeshhound posted:

What are you talking about? Laughter is the best medicine.

But doctor, I am Fallout 76.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been plugging away at this game for a while now, enjoying parts, driven largely by curiosity to see how they handled different parts of the AP. I decided to check on this thread just to see what the final consensus settled on for this game as I come up on its end, and what do I see but a lot of complaints about the ending.

Surely some of that is overblown, right? Or outdated? After all, this game's been patched a lot. I heard a lot of people complained about the bear at the temple of the elk and that was fine, so it probably won't be that bad. They must ha--

This is the worst loving dungeon ever. Absolute dogshit, top to bottom. There was a lot of Bad in this game, but nothing even approaches this loving Restoration Simulator.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everything is ability score damage and the dog is unable to join 80% of fights because he can't pass a will save.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuligin posted:

Tbh I like rtwp, so that shouldn't be an issue
Even so, Pathfinder really works better when turn-based. When you have a dozen characters on the map, each one making five attacks every six seconds, it gets real hard to tell what's going on real quick.

Use haste and displacement.

Lesser restoration cures ability score damage. Regular restoration and "heal" cure damage and drain.

Get the Bag o' Tricks mod. Even if you don't want to use the many cheats it provides, camera rotation and better zoom are must-haves. I also consider the alignment options it has absolutely essential, as this game's alignment system is what I like to call "Bad".

When you're in a party, you'll generally use the highest skill of whoever's in the party for any given task, so even talky skills are useful on companions. That said, sometimes you're alone and have to use just your character's skills. I consider trickery, perception, and persuasion the most important skills, period (there's substantial benefit to having multiple people with good trickery and perception in your party), and persuasion, perception, and arcane arguably the most valuable for the PC. A few points of mobility is great for tanks, too.

If you've already been there, revisit the skunk river crossing after Troll Trouble starts. I know this is probably more specific than you're looking for but it is insanely important and there is nothing to notify you. Don't get hosed like I did!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bag of Tricks has some less cheaty stuff, like camera rotation and better zoom. It's a great mod.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alt-tabbing broke about 20% of the time until I put the game in borderless windowed mode.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I presume it's still using 1e?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lmao, just lmao, at using EXP.

EDIT: To be more substantive, I'm genuinely pretty curious how they'll implement the mythic stuff, especially for the non-casters.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kobal2 posted:

Huh ? Isn't his node a required passage to explore anything SW of the keep ?

You can go there before he spawns, though.

I did.

EDIT: I progressed the Hellknight quest up to the point that I was given the option to tell everyone to gently caress off and handle poo poo themselves.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anno posted:

I enjoyed making an item for the Deadfire campaign so I’ll hop into the same tier this time around. Luckily these things always happen to launch right when I have some yearly bonus money that I can burn on frivolous poo poo like this.

90% of the people who made items for Deadfire all picked the same two fuckin' item types so now I'm worried.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deadfire's turn-based adaptation was a valiant effort that was never going to work quite right because the game was made to run in real-time to begin with.

Kingmaker's turn-based mod actually works well because Kingmaker itself was a very awkward adaptation of a turn-based game in to real-time. All those turn-based guts were still there, and while the inclusion of things like "move actions" in a real-time game made me shake my head, it made the mod work a lot better.

But you could cut the number of combat encounters in Kingmaker by half and still probably have too many.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trickery can be nice on the PC to open locks in your town, as you don't get parry members there. There's also a companion quest later on where your skills might matter a lot. I want to say bluff, arcana, and perception were big?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hypocrisy posted:

As for feats...Blind Fight makes you immune to gaze attacks. Something to keep in mind. Don't make Nok-Nok a barbarian.
Wait, why not?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Turn-based included in the base game has me genuinely interested, now. I like RTWP well enough, but taking Pathfinder's mechanics largely unchained, with standard/move/minor actions, and trying to force them in to real-time doesn't really work for me. Hope they think a lot about just how many combat encounters a game really needs while they're at it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kingmaker already played like a turn-based game that was kludged in to RTWP, so nobody should notice any difference.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bag of Tricks is the mod that lets you zoom the camera out far enough that you can actually loving see what you're doing with some of those big-rear end spells, right?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Five years and 200 million dollars spent remastering NWN 2 to get a camera that works.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

frajaq posted:

pretty sure Owlcat is doing their own thing regarding Mythic paths/rules

May it go better than their attempt to do their own thing with Kingmaker's kingdom/town building rules.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agent355 posted:

I got some cool craftsmen who have delivered some really fancy items ocassionally but that doesn't seem like it's a very direct translation of 'your kingdom good, here have stuff'.

You know, I never got the "masterpiece" from a single loving craftsman. I did all of their quests (except for Bokken's) at the first possible opportunity and not a single one came through with their promise in the whole game.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

From the bag of tricks mod, it looks like the standard chance for a masterpiece to be made is 0.33% per month?

Nephthys posted:

You have to max your kingdom stats. The craftsmen have the chances for a masterpiece go up as you level up your kingdom and I don't even think they can start them until after level 8 or something. At a certain point they'll say that they're ready to start working on it. When they do don't ask them to make anything else and they'll buckle down to work on them.

I got pretty much all of the masterpieces I think.

JamMasterJim posted:

It gets higher every time they do not deliver.

Guess I got real unlucky, 'cause I maxed kingdom stats at a pretty decent speed and got nothing from any of them.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorelab posted:

4e also basically ignored alignment, I'm not even sure it was a thing mechanically in it.

There were some paragon paths and epic destinies that had alignment requirements, but that was about it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grapplejack posted:

This is probably my least favorite thing about pathfinder tbh. They really need to have a way for all classes to be able to pick whether they want str or dex as their weapon stat. I thought it was really lame that as a monk I had to either find the necklace or dip into rogue to be able to use my dex bonus for my fists.

While I get this, there should probably be something that dexterity doesn't do, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah drat I don't understand how this magic thing, which is a thing that is 100% made up and can function in literally any fashion, in any way at all, could factor in a character's physical strength.