Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

anyone got any tips/build advice for the monster tactician class? im at the great sycamore and ive been having a great time so far summoning dogs next to enemy archers. playing on normal difficulty. mostly wondering if i should go with melee or ranged and how much strength/dexterity i should have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

is there any way to make webs disappear?

also still wondering if anyone has some words about this:

cuntman.net posted:

anyone got any tips/build advice for the monster tactician class? im at the great sycamore and ive been having a great time so far summoning dogs next to enemy archers. playing on normal difficulty. mostly wondering if i should go with melee or ranged and how much strength/dexterity i should have

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Kalas posted:

So to be good at archery is a ton of feats.
Monster tactician is an awesome archtype, but you want to grab the augment summon/superior summons ASAP and that's 3 feats there.

I'd suggest a reach 2h to sit behind the wall of tanks/summons. That is minimal investment (or no investment if you worship Shelyn).

Make sure you have outflank from teamwork feats, that is critical. I'd also pick that up on your other melee, it is worth it's weight in gold.

You could go for fauchards and aim for some nice crits, that will take an exotic feat though. There's a few really good fauchards in the game.

thanks, i like the sound of all of that

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i turned invisible and threw dogs at some bandits until they died

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Weird thing I was thinknig of suggesting on the alpha forums, but would y'all like to see the dice rolls? Like, we can see the math and results but I think I would also enjoy seeeing dice being rolled, even in big chaotic battles a stream of dice sims off to the side, just giving an idea of all the rolls going into it all? Not that we'd stop and peek at them, just seeing a visualization of them as they are made.

kingmaker already has that

in turn based mode :smug:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Roadie posted:

witches are heavily incentivized to use a debuff hex and then Cackle repeatedly at the same time as casting spells.

wait what

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Does it really? I mean, that's cool but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd change a game from rtwp to turn-based on purpose anymore than I'd drive a nail through my dick. (not kinkshaming, I'm glad there's a mode for you sadists out there) I'm looking basically for something like a dice-rolling particle effect shunted off to the side.

i dunno rtwp is already enough of a mess as it is, it doesnt need to be even more unplayable

Roadie posted:

Use Evil Eye, then next round Cackle as a move action to extend the Evil Eye debuff by one round and cast a spell as a standard action.

thats great that theres a mechanic to cackle. definitely going to play as a witch in the sequel

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the bralani and axiomites i summon keep doing more damage to me than the enemy. are the later summons better or am i doomed to be forever bullied by my own summons once i lose the wolves

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Summons are mostly kinda bad in my experience sadly.

Animal Companions are their own category and are very very good.

the dogs/wolves have been pretty good. they dont quite break the game but theyve been useful for being meatshields, messing with ranged enemies, and occasionally knocking someone down

speaking of summons, im wondering how the npc portraits are handled behind the scenes because the portrait for the axiomite seems to be a mite :v:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What are some 'recommended if you like' comparisons?

Like, will I like Pathfinder if I like divinity but did not like pillars that much?

I'm not into dialogue in these games and just want tough tactics

i like this game overall but the encounter and dungeon design are not its strong points

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

monster summon update: the bogeyman is cool and good and my friend

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

but a ranger is already a fighter/druid hybrid! it's hybrids all the way down!

the time has come. instead of hybrid classes we must now have sliders between classes

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i still have no idea how to see what the dc of my spells actually is

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the dungeons in this game make me want to die. praise groetus

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

are the dungeons any better so far? specifically wondering if theyre all endless hallways where you have to fight the same group of 3 large boys every 50 feet

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

frajaq posted:

this game is going to have interesting companions for sure

lol

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lets be real now did anyone actually expect (might not be a spoiler?) the succubus to not be a romance option

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ok i will but only because i was going to anyway and not because you told me to

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the hook is that you want to show that rear end in a top hat gnome whos boss

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you get massive amounts of xp if you pick dialogue options with high dc skill checks which is dumb and i hate it. another reason for the bag of tricks mod i guess

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

any buff with a duration in rounds instead of minutes is too much effort to cast outside of battle imo

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

did they make it clearer as to what archetypes gain or lose from the main class

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i want to do a second run to pick some other story options and get some stuff i missed (an entire companion) but i keep thinking about how tedious some parts were and its hard to motivate myself even knowing i can use mods to skip most of that stuff

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pentyne posted:

Managed to beat the 2nd Bald Hilltop fight in one go at level 7 by just dumping endless amounts of skeletons into the fight and just slowly chipping away at the "miss 50% of the time, 10/DR" monsters. It's not really fun because I'm killing monsters 2x my CL from nothing more then attrition and really feeling like I'm not learning optimal use of spells and abilities.

The Concealment was an interesting choice for this game. I like how trying to find some strategy or trick to combat it essentially comes down to "just keep hitting them as much as you can and hope for good rolls"
youre gonna love the rest of the chapter

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i kinda liked that puzzle, its kinda neat when it clicks as to why the altar is a container. i wanted to keep the bird though :saddowns: agreed that the 2 worlds thing is confusing, they should have put a color filter over one of them or something

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

sorrowflow wasnt too bad but i kept getting eaten by wolves on the way there

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

Oh and some bug where I had to kill Irovetti 3 times for some reason because I think Octavia disintegrating him instantly for the second time just triggered hime coming back to life again.

i used coup de grace on the spriggen leader and exploded him, and then after the battle i had a conversation with the pile of gore he turned into and then i couldnt leave the room

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i always thought undead were more neutral evil

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i dont know if i'll wait for the enhanced edition but i might wait for the bag of tricks mod

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

quote:

dazed

i say bring it on as long as you dont have to fight a few dozen of them in a row. im fine with it being difficult or even bullshit difficult but its tedium i cant stand

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Anno posted:

Oh god the character UI now shows additions/subtractions when viewing archetypes thank Christ.

:pusheen:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the entire point of dnd based games like this is so you have the chance to play your embarrassing character ideas that would get you kicked out of an actual table

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i havent read the spoilers and i dont know what the deal with camellia is but ive seen some other impressions from people who played the beta and they seem interested in where its all going to go so maybe its all in the presentation! !

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

How do people feel about the copy/pasted maps in this game?

Lazy and annoying or is it just accurate to a real TT campaign (GM reusing assets as much as possible)?

its hard to be annoyed by it because at least its not a dungeon

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

fire kineticists have an ability thats like faerie fire but it doesnt seem to actually do anything

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

speaking of warpriest, is there enough of the game in the beta to tell which weapon types have particularly good or bad availability for weapon focus?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

sebmojo posted:

i'm about to go plumb sassy bird guy's tomb - how far from the end am i?

110 hours, but a fair bit of that is other runs, i think

about halfway maybe a bit further

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you dont have to win the fight but maybe it affects something later on if you do? i have no idea

at first i thought it was unwinnable if youre playing regularly and not minmaxing and i only reloaded and used every buff and potion just to see what would happen

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the ridiculous number of character options can be overwhelming but asking online for build advice always worked for me. most if not all of the really troublesome enemies arent too bad once you know how to deal with them, and the game gives you enough tools to do so. some parts of the game are just incredibly, soul crushingly tedious though, and theres nothing that can be done about that