Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This sounds like a game I could enjoy, since I like mediocre RPGs, D&D or D&D-like systems, and real-time-with-pause combat.

Although it might be smart to wait until the game gets a few patches and some cut-content DLCs first.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Anybody have advice for someone completely new to Pathfinder? I've never played a game with it.

I'm looking for tips on how to build characters. The only thing I want is to have a paladin as my main character.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Am I doing something wrong if I don't multiclass my characters? I'm new to Pathfinder, and I don't know any of the classes that combine well, besides a paladin/scaled fist monk.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
A couple more Pathfinder questions. Should I have two tanks in the party, or is Valerie alone sufficient?

Secondly, do paladins generally make better one handed and shield fighters, or two handed fighters? I've read there's no "holy avenger" type of weapon in this game (like Carsomyr from BG2) so I'm open to use either style of weaponry.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thanks for the advice, folks.

Is Wrath a DLC or a whole new game?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm missing some basic knowledge on the systems in this game.

I'm trying to level Regognar. He is a magus subclass, and has very good strength and charisma, but bad intelligence. I read that he is bad at DC spells. What are those? And what is DC? Does he base his spells on his INT modifier, or is CHA modifier (I'm guessing charisma since it is highlighted in his level up screen.)

As far as I can tell, it doesn't tell you this anywhere in the game itself, which is pretty frustrating.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 8, 2020

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How do I kill this stupid loving spider swarm in Kingmaker? The tutorial says to use AOE attacks like alchemist fires, or torches. I bomb the swarm with like five of the bombs, and have everybody equipped with torches, and the thing just sits there and eats my party. They consist of a paladin main, Valerie, Amiri, Linzi, Regognar, and Octavia.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Kingmaker question: I gave Valerie Crane Style, and I have her activating both Fighting Defensively and Crane Style. However, I do not see an increase to her armor class, nor do I see a change in my attack rating. Are those bonuses not displayed on the character sheet or something?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
In Kingmaker, is there a way I can make Tristian not fall over and die in every fight? Outside of radically changing his class.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Kingmaker questions: my kingdom stability is at "riots." I'm guessing that means I'm getting close to game over. I really don't want to have to restart. How do I raise it? I just finished the troll quest line.

Are there any other quests I need to be aware of that are time limited? I noticed that I killed a potential advisor (the wizard who kept a troll prisoner) by waiting too long, causing his laboratory to become destroyed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ojetor posted:

The main way to repair stability is raising your Kingdom's stability rank, which will improve stability by one up to stable every time you rank it up. If you're only at the troll quest line you almost certainly haven't unlocked the Stability advisor, nor do you have the thousand BP it costs to throw a feast which is the other option. So yeah, I think using Bag of Tricks or a save editor is your best bet here.

Make sure you're resolving as many problems as you can and keep a semi-healthy bank of BP (I'd say 100-150 or so for the point of the game you're at). Going into negative BP absolutely wrecks your stability. Some events or kingdom decisions can straight up just subtract BP from your bank and that can be very bad if you don't fix it ASAP.

As for time limited stuff: A lot of main story quests are time limited in the sense that if you put them off too long the outcomes will get worse (or you can straight up just get a game over). As a rule of thumb, you should just immediately do the main quests for each act as soon as they become available. Also resolve the Ancient Curse kingdom events and do the Bald Hilltop battles immediately when they pop up. These always start exactly 14 days before each curse deadline so keep an eye on your quest journal and make sure you're near the capital at that time.

Thanks. I'm really boned unless I use a mod? I've been keeping the events in check, I haven't been ignoring them. I don't know how I can get a game over when, for the most part, I am doing things right.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ojetor posted:

One alternative to modding/save editing you could look at are the difficulty settings for kingdom mode.

The big issue is that once you start losing stability, you get a penalty to resolving events, which makes it more likely your advisors fail to address problems, which means your stability will worsen, which increases the penalty further, etc. It can be very hard to break out of this death spiral, particularly early in the game. Do you remember what caused the stability hits in the first place?

I don't remember. It just showed up in my log as I was traveling. I didn't have any unaddressed events.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zore posted:

Did you put off resolving one of the Major crisises(Trolls etc)? You basically want to bumrush them and then do sidestuff in the downtime before the next one pops up.

I must have. I had to deal with the troll raids event/crisis a few times. You can't put off the main quest for last like other RPGs, can you?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kingmaker works like a Persona game. The chapters and main plot happen on a fixed schedule, and putting them off makes your situation exponentially worse. The optimal way to handle the entire game, basically, is to always bullrush the main plot and then once it's done you have months and sometimes years of time to sidequest, play with your kingdom dollies, and basically chill until the next chapter arrives.

So what do you think, should I restart or mod my stability up, or can I salvage this since I just finished the troll quest and have some time until the next disaster?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
In Kingmaker, should I increase the difficulty from normal, or does the game get quite a bit more challenging after act 2? Right now, I barely have to cast spells, fights are generally over too fast for spells to matter, or even be cast. I love the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Pillars of Eternity/etc. games, but I wouldn't say I am a very good player.

As for the people who helped me earlier with kingdom stability, thank you. I managed to fix it, for now, without using the bag of tricks mod. I got the project that lets me raise stability by holding a feast, immediately followed by the decision that lets me raise stability even further by not taxing the peasants.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

pentyne posted:

You're at the bottom of the wildly fluctuating difficulty curve at the moment. In a few levels you're going to need to be prepping specifically before every fight, and using turn-based mode and praying your attacks land.

Then you'll get to the final dungeon and likely say gently caress it and drop the difficulty to story mode.

Okay thanks. These primal monsters are dropping pretty quickly that it's just not worth casting some spell that lets me see through their concealment.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Can I get some basic advice on how to use Kalikke and her twin? The kineticist is brand new to me. I understand the burn mechanic, and how she needs to channel energy to use certain attacks to not get burn, but beyond that, I don't know what to do with her. I just set her to auto channel and auto kinetic burst, but surely there is more to it than that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh, yeah, I got all that stuff a while ago, in-game. It's possible it was still ticking down the clock, but it had been at least three in-game months since that point.

Also, bit of a warning, Dispel Magic (Point) will dispel a large number of passive aura effects from your characters. I mentioned Inspirational Leader being dispelled earlier in the thread, but it also affects certain magic items that generate an aura (such as the Clemency of Shadows, ring version). Magic items can be reset by removing them and putting them back on, but character abilities require an area transition to fix themselves, it looks like.

Nah, that's pretty much it. Just pick your favorite combination of infusions, set Gather Power to automatic, and you're good to go unless you want to switch up which blast you're using or make use of one of the non-blast abilities they get.

Goofballs posted:

Kineticist's are kind of like dnd warlocks. Most of the time they're doing the same thing over and over. It gets stronger and stronger and eventually turns into aoe.

On this page https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character you can find a build for a kineticist that is kind of disgusting but the most efficient form of Kineticist. They went fire first because its a ranged touch attack rather than just a ranged attack. They would have gone earth otherwise because its the element you use most when your bab is high enough to hit reliably. And that's because earth attacks can trip and tripping is op as gently caress. The MC build also has Dazzling Display, rogue thug and deadly carnage built into it. Basically dazzling display is a turn to make everyone in 30 foot or so feared if you pass a persuasion check. Carnage turns that into every time you kill dazzling display triggers. And you kill a lot so you can see where this going. Thug makes fear effects into shattered effects. And that's great for all your melee friends. But most of the time you're throwing a fireball at a guy or a rock at a guy. That's right up until level 14 when you unlock deadly earth and then that's a huge aoe that trips everyone in it every round they are in it and does massive damage every round. That's your I win button for the remainder of the game. But get Blind Fight on everyone. Its mandatory unless you know where the worst encounters are before you start them. In which case you have deadly earth.

Thanks. Do I set Trip to auto activate as well, do I use it manually (I see you need to be in melee range,) or does it help the earth attack passively?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm trying to understand the "max dexterity" statistic on armor. Nok-nok has a dexterity modifier of +8. If he wears leather armor that has a max dexterity of 6, does that mean his dex modifier is only +6 and that's not beneficial to him? He should not wear armor at all, instead?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm not sure how I get Bag of Tricks working for Kingmaker. I installed the Unity Mod Manager, I installed Bag of Tricks into it, I loaded up the game, and ctrl-f10 just brings up a blank UMM menu.

What am I missing? The logs and settings tabs have stuff in them, but nothing helpful.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Perfect Potato posted:

Delete 0harmony12 from Managed in Kingmaker_Data

I tried that, restarted the UMM and the game, but the menu is still empty.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm supposed to find Sharel, the Northern Narlmarshes crafter, but I can't find him/her anywhere. I've checked my capital, I've checked the Northern Narlmarshes town, but I can't find them. Where is this npc, the quest "A Bloody Craft?"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Best Friends posted:

They're in the northern narlmarch town, left side of it.

That's where I first met Sharel. But he isn't there this time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
In Kingmaker, I just finished chapter four, and my paladin is still using a frost great sword +1. Is there a better great sword I could have gotten by now that I may have missed? Please, if you can, try to keep your answer light on spoilers. Thank you.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
My warden is really crappy. Every time I try to solve a problem with him, he fails it or has a disaster, taking away points from stability. I'm at zero stability and every time he does something it lowers my kingdom stability for "negative kingdom stats." Is there a way I can fix this without resorting to bag of tricks?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How do I deal with the bandits in War of the River Kings? I don't see them on the map, and I don't have any projects I can attempt that deals with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Best Friends posted:

Patrol around pitax until you find their camp.

Thanks. I figured it would have just shown up like the menagerie did.