Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Started playing this game last night, turn-based mod on. Pretty good so far, just got through the intro area. But anyone know of a mod or game setting that eliminates these terrible medieval font Drop Caps at the beginning of every goddamn word and name to increase readability?

That's so needed ! Sometimes I wonder who that 'Miri' girl is I keep seeing on my screen ...

I just started the game myself a week ago, how did I miss this gem for so long ? I think I confused pathfinder with some other ruleset, never knew it was a 3.5 D&D clone or I would been all over it. I thought it was some everything-goes ruleset with little structure, can't think of the name anymore..

I really like the combat (with turn based mod, of course), and I love the city building as well. It all makes sense once you figure out that you got to do quests in the reverse order you normally play a CRPG. Always finish the main quest first (except chapter 1), then there is lots of time for sidequest stuff, time delays and city building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Is there a way to figure out what you still need to kill for the magical prison quest ? I'm at 44 out of 45 needed, just one left - but I have no idea where I still need to go. Maybe a mod to show you a list or something ? Lovely game, but that part is infuriating.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Thanks, that worked great ! Was missing Riverine Rise, a very early area ... I had been there, but not killed the monster, guess i ran away from that one.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Hryme posted:

That Might gives +damage to spells in PoE is so wierd. I know it is to make to make attributes balanced, but I still can't like it. No idea what it represents.

Pillars of eternity would have been so much better turn based and with pathfinder rules ...

Are they planning to retrofit turn based mode onto the first game ? Might get me to replay it once more.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

I played this shortly after release and didn't really like it, but I've heard the inflated stats got a little fixed? Are there any recommendations on good classes to pick to see 'the most' stuff? I know in NWN and NWN2 you basically had to choose a class with diplomacy access because only the MC could use it in conversations. Is that kind of thing similar here?

Companion skills can be used most of the time. I found it usefull to have one character with extremely high perception, persuasion and trickery skills. By that I mean, higher then you'd normally get from skills and stats, but instead taking all the non-combat, 'useless' feats as well: Deft Hands, Persuasive, Alertness, Deceitful plus Skill Focus several times. This means you can get xp from conversation skill checks and traps that seem to be far above a level you reach with a normal build. Linzi is well suited for this task, but you could just as well create a mercenary bard for that.

But since you can build some very good builds for charisma-focused characters, it's also no big deal to do the talking yourself. What I liked a lot on a high-strength fighter was the Intimidating Prowess perk, that uses your strength for intimidation checks, 1/3 of the speech skills normally done with charisma.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Is there no turn-based combat yet in the Wrath of the Righteous Alpha ? I can't find any settings for it, guess that's 15€ wasted until they add it.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Path of the righteous looks quite fun so far, even without turn based mode. So many races and classes, and I've taking the boring human two-handed fighter again for my first try.

Did somebody solve that puzzle with the 4 coloured buttons in the shield maze ? Can't seem to find any clue to it.

Nevermind, found it - 4 coloured pictures of women on a wall somewhere show the solution. drat, kind of nice to play a game without being able to look up solutions on the internet.

MonikaTSarn fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 13, 2020

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Playing the wrath alpha now, and I'm not sure if I like the whole army stuff. Kind of weird that I can't help as player in those battles at all.

Anyway, the storyteller vanished from my army camp, anybody know where he might be hiding out ?

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Does anybody know how the secondary mythic bloodline works for a Bloodrager ? I've taken Draconic in addition to Abyssal, when I was level 9, and I did get two bonus feats immediately - but I am not sure if I should getting the draconic abilities ? Its difficult to see because I'm a primalist who can exchange his bloodline abilities for two rage powers, and I did that at level 8.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

At the moment I would say its a lot more then just the same 'engine' - it's the the same game with changed content.

The atrocious animated startup menu is back, the very limited character pictures are are the same, the whole interface is the same. No turn based mode though :-(

And since today they're asking a fuckton of money to upgrade for beta access ( and for early bird backers it doesn't work right yet anyway, just chatting in discord to get that fixed), which I find rather weird after alpha access was a reasonable 15$ price.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

The main trap with kingdom development is that the game changes the order of sidequests and mainquests from what's usual. In basically all RPG's since forever you are encouraged to do all sidequests first before continuing the main quest - to get stronger for the main bosses, to avoid missing out on content etc.

If you try that in Kingmaker you get a game over state quickly - here you have to do the main quests first, then have some free time to do the other stuff. It's made worse by the timelimits you run into quickly if you do long rests with hunting while traveling as the game encourages you to - this should simply never be used, buying enough rations for every single rest is always the better option.

Maybe it makes sense for the story, maybe it even makes for a better game if you force the main quest to be done first - but going so harshly against what people are used to without a real warning that this game is different its just bad design.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I want a polearm user with lot's of attacks and good pet. I'm considering Sohai, so I was thinking Hunter 3 / Sohai 11. Hunter gives his pet the teamwork feats, has the best companion selection, free animal focus for the pet. Sohai can select any weapon group to flurry with at level 6.

Then I want to add in full BAB class for the last levels, to get 6 attacks at level 20 ( 4 from 16 BaB + 2 from lvl 11 Sohai flurry).

I was thinking Cavalier at first, to have full companion progression - maybe Gendarme or Beast Rider. But is Ranger a better fit ? I'd have to take boon companion, but I assume the spell progression would stack with the hunter levels to get level 2 spells, and mostly longer duration for lead blades. I think the Ranger combat style is wasted though. Or did they add combat styles beside ranged and dual wield ? Or maybe a level of Bloodrider for faster mount speed and rage ?

I don't really know how mounted combat works or if it's worth it - if I am mounted, do both mount and rider attack as normal ? And are they considered to be flanking the enemy even though they are in the same spot ? Do any animals get reach attacks ?

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

JamMasterJim posted:

Spell progression for Hunter and Ranger does not stack.
When you are mounted, you do not flank with the pet and they do not get reach attacks.

Oh, to bad about hunter + ranger. But what I was wrong about is needing Ranger at all - monk/sohai are full BaB in Wotr, so I'd be fine with hunter 9 / sohai 11.

About the mounted flanking: I found the feat 'Pack Flanking' for pathfinder, but I assume that doesn't exist in the game.

MonikaTSarn fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 20, 2021

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Roadie posted:

One interesting choice I'd point at for kitsune is Bloodrager. It looks like bloodrage is set up in this game to boost your attack rolls and damage directly (rather than Strength, as in the tabletop), so you should be able to do a Dex/Cha-centric build and be a really effective and durable melee-er (way sturdier than most Dex builds), use Vulpine Pounce to get a heap of attacks with two weapon fighting all the time, get free auto-buffs from the bloodline, maybe get infinite bloodrage from the Limitless Rage mythic ability (depending on if it applies to bloodrager or not), and still be a good face for persuasion check stuff.

You don't need Kitsune to get pounce as Bloodrager - just play primalist, and exchange some of your bloodline powers for beast totem.

Anyway, from the videos I have seen, pounce is very overpowered if you take the mythic charge ability - it adds it's damage to all your attacks ! BolshyPlays on youtube has some builds that use this ( Mad Dog/Cavalier, Bloodrager).

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Zore posted:

Your pet doesn't get to attack or set up as a flanker/etc mostly

Are you sure about this ? I know that would be pathfinder rules unless you have special feats, but the game is different in a lot of ways.

It seems you can even get double-pounce from both rider and mount for two full attacks when the pet charges.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Was turn based mode completly broken for anybody else during the tavern fight ? Just couldn't do anything when it was turned on, except delay turns when the turn order bar on top of the screen eventually showed up.

I went in underleveled at 3 as well, for some reason I ended up with everybody exhausted after arriving at the tavern and had to take a rest directly, then got surprised about the difficulty in the city center. But with a full party the tavern fight seemed easier on core difficulty then I remembered it from alpha. Much more buggy, to - the minotaur got stuck at his gate and Lan could solo him from afar. Lots of bodies ended up unlootable.

Btw, who is that stealth guy that pops up on the roof and kills some enemies supposed to be ?

Luckily I had respecced my failed sword/board dual wield bloodrager ( takes a long time to become usefull) to power attack/cleave/cleaving finish, enlarged and with the glaive from the first boss thats just what is needed for this fight. Was going for some idea of charging a lot with pounce to profit from the mythic charge bonus on 9 attacks. But charge seems difficult to use - often the game claims I can do it, but I get stuck behind somebody and loose a full turn instead. Might go for a vital strike build instead.

Another good idea: Make Lan a sacred huntsmaster at level 3 ( maybe even level 2 if you are struggling in the maze) and get a tripping leopard for him. Can always get the third level of Zen Archer later, end up 3 Zen / 17 huntsmaster.

Awesome game, wish I hadn't played the alpha two or three times so I would enjoy the early parts more. It's great to see how things have improved, like the item graphics or the intro sequence. You can even skip cutscenes with return ! The added vendor after the maze end fight is very nice, hope there's one in the grey garrisson as well.

Anyway, after the tavern battle you are not under a time limit anymore, right ? I read that you might loose some allies when going to the library to late, is that true ? I was on the way there when the messenger got me to come home for the tavern fight.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

sebmojo posted:

How do you get to the library? It won't let me cross the chasm

You have to cross the chasm in the city center the first time you want to go there. There's some spot where you can use an acrobatics check to build a bridge.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Anyone have much experience with Hunter? Was thinking about jamming Lann into it after level 4 but I’m not sure what to make of the archetypes. Divine Hunter seems nice but giving up teamwork feats is ehhhh.

Is it better to go archetypeless as Hunter?

Consider sacred huntsmaster as alternative, especially if thinking about (divine) hunter. The same pet, the same teamwork feats. Additionally you get bane for more damage. Only reason I would prefer hunter is the ranger-like spellbook, for hurricane bow.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tbf, Hurricane Bow is a pretty good reason.

True. But no problem to get anyway if you run a brownfur buffbot.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

adamarama posted:

Anyone know how boon companion should work? I made Lann a hunter on third level so he was monk 2/hunter 1 and I took boon companion. So his pet was level 3, all fine. However, when I levelled to 4, I took monk and the pet didn't level up. I reloaded and took hunter at 4 and the pet levelled to 4. I thought boon companion allowed the pet to level up when the hunter did, for 4 levels outside the companion class?

I have the same problem - the pet leveling logic probably isn't activated at all when leveling an unrelated class. I think it will fix itself on the next hunter level and the pet should get two levels at once then. Or you could try to respec him and go monk/monk/monk/hunter . Will try that later myself.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Buller posted:

Its based on your hunter level not your character level

That's what 'Boon Companion' is for - to get the pet level back up to your character level if you have 4 or less levels in a non-pet class.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion/

Benefit: The abilities of your animal companion or familiar are calculated as though your class were 4 levels higher, to a maximum effective druid level equal to your character level.

This explicitly mentions your character level. But it probably is only check when you level your pet class.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I just unlocked my first Mythic level but I can only select Mythic Hero. Angel, Azata and Demon are greyed out and the rest are question marks. Did I lock myself out of them by accident or do they become selectable later? I'm a lawful good kineticist, in case that makes a difference.

First two levels you only get Mythic Hero, the selection happens at Mythic level 3.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Just got to Mythic Rank 4 on Azatha and took Life Bonding. Allies staying alive instead of dying is kind of neat, but what I really like is sharing all your teamwork feats for free - even if you didn't get them from the Azata power. Free outflank and seize the moment for everybody - even all animal companions ! Had to respec all my melee companions. Actually considered respeccing my Bloodrage to some class with bonus teamwork feats to get and share them all, but I only just got pounce online and I love charging with huge damage.

Sacred Huntsmaster Lan and his tripping Leopard got more damage feats. His bonus teamwork feats are kind of wasted now, but I really like the inquisitor bane bonus damage for hard fights so I'll keep him this way. Don't think the pet needs three int now as well.

Respecced Seelah for shield bash since she got enough feats now for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Chapter 4 ruined the game for me. The town is just so annoying to move around in, with the silly moving walls. Whoever designed this really hates the player. A movement puzzle in a dungeon is one thing, but a whole quest hub for a chapter that you cannot navigate normally ? Insane and unfun.
Then there's bugs - got stuck in my azatha mythic quest and had to redo a lot of stuff.
Now I'm stuck behind a moving wall that stopped moving.