Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What would I go for if I want the Death Knight class fantasy? Big two hander, plate armored, not necessarily evil, arcane casting.

Is a Fighter/Hellknight viable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

JamMasterJim posted:

Lich really wants you to be evil. Anyway, for casting in plate and getting 9th level spells, you go wizard or sorcerer/Hellknight Signifer/Eldritch Knight. Easier with lich who merges spellbook.

If 6th level spellcasting is ok with you, you can go Magus/Scion who get Heavy armor eventually or armored battlemage. You lose a few benefits with 2hander wielding though.

Thanks for this! Which would you say is more "Melee, with some casting" rather than "Caster, with some melee"?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's decrypting!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's the point of borderless window if it minimizes when I alt-tab anyway?

Just got one bug so far, one of my companions went under the world or went invisible or something, eventually reappeared after some clicking. So far, so good, still in the intro part.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Accidentally cheesed a good chunk of the tavern fight, I went in blind knowing it'd be a tough one.

I had Nenio cast "Create Pit" to catch the three Dretches that were fighting my MC, got 2 of them, which was good enough. What was great is that for the duration of the spell (5 rounds? 10? Something like that), enemies spawning through that gate would path directly on top and get caught by the pit (most failed their saving throws), getting damaged and being out of the fight for 1-2 rounds.

Eventually it ran out, but I think it must have taken care of a good half of whatever arrives from the gate.

Also, slumber is overpowered.

Ok, it was also Normal difficulty, I admit. But still!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone else's performance tanked massively in the Gray Garrison? I went from 80-90 fps to 40-50, with frequent hitches in fights.

Also, why do I sometimes start battles (turn based) staggered? And sometimes with just 1 move left, rather than 2 (but not staggered, debuff icon doesn't show there)?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 4, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

There seems to be something wrong/weird with alignment drift. I did a "good" action and it moved me from LG to ... NG? And apparently you can't be a Neutral Good paladin or something (forgot that was a thing back in the day) and lost access to some class features and must atone. The hell?

E: Ah, I see what happened. The good actions moved me outside of the Alignment wheel till it crossed the Law/Chaos line into Neutral Good :cripes:

Lesson learned: don't be too good.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 4, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I looted a magic flail after a Crusade battle, but it's nowhere to be seen. Not in my inventory, not in the stash, nowhere. Where do you find the loot from army battles?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do you counter the bullshit demon generals that cast a lightning bolt, killing 150+ archers a hit?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Are there any timers in Act 3 other than the banners? I feel like I need to build up my economy/armies a bit, some of the level 6 and 7 demon armies are scary (especially their generals with the bullshit spells).

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Spell penetration feats are near mandatory for casters. Take em all. Certain mythic paths have things that make your penetration more powerful as well like Aeon. Consider spells that are not subject to magic resistance as well.

There is one I heard about but haven't run into: you can contract someone to help you hunt a dragon and he's clear on the fact that hunting said dragon is the only reason he's joining you so if you take too long he'll bail. Don't know if that's actually true.

Yeah I'm actually on the quest with that NPC, but the way to the quest objective has quite a few armies on the way.

VV I did not know that! VV

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 10, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there a way to refill a belt slot when I use the corresponding Item? I have a Mage Armor potion in my belt and 29 in my inventory, but each time I drink one from the belt I have to replace it manually. Any way of automating that?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I built an archery range, how do I recruit the more advanced units like Marksmen? I still just get the option for archers.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sometimes, the difference between Real Time and Turn Based is really noticeable. For example, Ferocious Smilodons: with their 2x bite and 4xclaw (at +24 each), each of their turns they alphastrike pretty massively. In Real-Time, they just attack once every couple seconds. Turn based, I can pretty much guarantee one downed PC; Real-time, they get pasted and my PCs suffer maybe 20% health before the Smilodon's dropped.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Man, the dice rolling can be pretty streaky in this game. I've had difficult fights that would have been easy if my characters rolled more than an average of 8. Also, how do you avoid the ... bug? Feature? where my healer will cast a healing spell, walk to touch the target, and do nothing?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wow, cure wounds and intimidating shout (aoe stun) on a general and Crusade suddenly becomes easy mode.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 11, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Awesome bug: wilderness encounter with a Ghost, no exit from the map :cripes:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Finished Ivory Sanctum and wow, it felt like a proper, good old dungeon crawl. GOTY for me.

Things I don't love: can't buy mats while in decree screen. Upgrading an outpost goes through a million submenus. Exploring towards a location when the path that points directly towards it swerves at the last second. Slow rear end travel on the map, even on light encumbrance. The return to Kenabres, a million hours of travel both in game and IRL for a minor fight.

These are all minor nitpicks, it is otherwise a really great RPG.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So, I did a respec of the MC well into Act 3 I think, I'm Angel mythic path and so far nothing seems to be broken (well, outside the generic bugs). Am I in the clear or will I be boned in the next acts?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New patch seems to have broken monster tooltips, they don't show up for me anymore hovering in RTWP; they show up if I hover on portrait in turn-based.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Just going through Blackwater. Good God, what where they thinking. I have never been to a more unfun loving dungeon in 40+ years of playing P&P and CRPGs. Jesus loving Christ.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What're the standard countermeasures for high AC enemies? I know true sight for stuff like Blur(?), Invisibility. But what for those that have like 40-50 AC? My MC buffed to the gills only has a +28 on their first attack so hitting is a struggle; I know I'm not underleveled because the enemies barely scratch me, and they go down fast once I start hitting them.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm glad that Blackwater was actually overtuned rather than me loving up party composition/builds. Some other fixes there, looks like they caught the <null> buffs in Crusade mode? I'm currently in the Demon City so couldn't go check.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Know what I really love about Alushinyrra? Using the portal to go to a different spot of the city, which is currently rotating due to the camera angle, and ending up stuck at the bottom of the world. Absolutely amazing game design.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Rails SDMM posted:

I made a mod which adds a search bar to help navigate the inventory UI.

Also some other mods too.

If you enjoy not wasting your time scrolling through vendors to find a potion of restoration, check it out!

Oh my loving god OWLCAT HIRE THIS GOON

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Question about Lann's final act companion quest:

So if you go ahead with his plan, you kill Savamelekh but Lann dies forever. If you don't go ahead with his plan and just do your thing, you kill Savamelekh just as well, Lann survives, but he has the big sads cause you didn't trust him or his plan. Is there a "happy" ending for his quest?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

I let him do his plan and he survived. I'm not sure what specifically resulted in that.

FrenchBen posted:

Lann Act V quest spoilers question:

Is it at all possible for him to live if you decide to trust him in Act 5, or does he always get killed if you don't tell him to sit down and follow you? Did I screw him over by killing Wenduag in Act 3 ? I know he himself admits his plan is dumb and if he were to tell me I'd tell him to not do it, but I was hoping to give him a moment to shine without permadeath

So looking around a bit, people who got him to live and trust his plan made the following choices: kill Wenduag, have him reconcile with his mom and convince him to become chief of the tribe (which you can do in Act 3 after the tribe gets to Drezen). I did the first two but not the chief part and he died.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anyone else have the bug in act 5 during the reconquest of Drezen where each time your characters attack, the camera zooms up and away from the fight? It gets really annoying when you have 6-8 attacks each. I don't think I've had it happen anywhere else so far.

Also, I wanted to address one thing: I post a lot about bugs as I encounter them, but I am really, really enjoying the game, I have more than double the hours of played than Kingmaker and I only played Kingmaker 2 years after it came out, so mostly (MOSTLY) bug-free. If I didn't like the game, I'd not be posting at all.

It's one of the best, if not the best RPGs in my experience when it comes to feeling the power fantasy of a demigod, with the various mythic paths. Even melee characters are badasses - I got Woljif with the two daggers of the Arena fighter (forgot her name) and he's a whirling blender of death.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is Cleave a trap option, when you have multiple attacks? Say I have 7 attacks on my hasted MC, if I cleave I do one single attack at full bonus + another on a second target, also at full bonus, if I hit. While if I do a full 7 attacks on the main target, I can do more damage and still attack the second one with the remaining ones (if any) if I kill the first one. Am I missing something? I know that great Cleave does additional cleaves, but standard Cleave seems not worth it at high levels?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I don't think the last patch fixed the stunlocking carnivorous crystals, I'm currently being stunlocked by a 55 DC aoe stun every round, it's not what I'd call "fixed" (unless it's just meant to be a gently caress you fight, that is)

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 22, 2021

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yeah, the problem is that a DC 55 save is ... ouch.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Itemising of chests, barrels etc. can be weird.

Open a hidden, locked chest: few ingredients, a scroll. Open a small bag lying on the floor: +5 named weapon of rear end kicking. Its like playing Diablo sometimes!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

You get it when you meet Jubilost

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

You also get missable conversations that are not quest tracked but still matter for the various triggers like for Lann, so you gotta talk to all your companions every once in a while.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wrapping up my first playthrough as Paladin/Angel, but I'm planning on going for the secret ending on the next playthrough. What class/mythic path makes the most sense, thematically, for the secret ending?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If I wanted to make a ray caster which items would I want to grab for that and which companion fills that role best? Nenio?

Ember with the Salamander ring from Act 3 is a beast. I have her equipped with a couple metamagic rods and she just erases bosses in 1-2 turns.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Finished my first playthrough, and while the game overall was great, the drop in quality between the first 3 acts and the rest is massive. The first three acts is a finished product; the last part is early, very early access at best.

Also, the difficulty ramp up is kinda ridicolous and boring, it just adds AC and to-hit bonus to the same monsters you encounter in Acts 1-2-3. Oh you killed the succubus in Act 2? Now fight this Mythic Succubus Assassin Sniper Elite that has the exact same model, same attacks, but AC 70 and +48 to hit, and 300 HP. Act 4 is a bit better up until Ix, then the fun (for me)really craters.

Itemization is also all over the place and definitely a placeholder, past act 3; oh you killed a Balor, a Demon General of the Abyss? You get a Longsword +1, grats. Maybe that box has a scroll and two reagents, maybe it has a Vorpal Bastard Sword, who knows. Lockpicked a chest with 4 traps around it and 2 perception checks just to get to it? Yeah it has a spoon, some food and a masterwork nunchaku, good job!

I'm still gonna try more playthroughs because at its core, it's a great RPG. But man, it's really, really rough in the final 1/3.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Taear posted:

The itemisation really is mad. Why does a marilith have 8 totally regular scimitars?? It straight up doesn't make sense.

Ix has some really poo poo decisions as well. I'll spoiler it.
It is mad to me that Irabeth dies if you don't go to her and the queen first when you're just kinda randomly wandering desparately trying to find SOMEWHERE. It's so horribly laid out that trying to find her to rescue her for me was just impossible

Yes that spoiled part was infuriating, I spent ages just to get to the next part and then it was oh if you don't beeline for a specific part of the map that happens to have the queen but that you have absolutely no idea where it is, she dead. Sorry. I wouldn't have minded if you could make the conscious choice to save x or y or z, but not all. But like this, it's just punishing the player for no fault of their own.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Act 5 spoiler:

While exploring Ix I ran into a dracolich style Terendelev. There was no dialogue or cutscene, basically same as a random encounter. Did I miss anything or did it bug out? Is there some story leading up to it which I missed/skipped somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

What kind of interactions had you had in act 3 with the queen and Irabeth?

The queen didn't demote me for Act 4 but rather put me on leave (not sure if that counts), I did not romance her tho; and Irabeth got her groove back after her quests/decree

E: Does an amulet of Agile fists work on a Zen Archer's unarmed damage as it applies it to arrows?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 1, 2021