Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Not to mention goons froth at the mouth when confronted by other people's opinions of their meta. A collection of meta reads? Absolute meltdowns from anyone and everyone listed, I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Wow what a bad page snipe.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hey Hum, how about you? Any thoughts on who the scum are yet?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hmmmm

Gut read entirely, but I'm making my official prediction that KB is scum in this game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

Hmmmm

Gut read entirely, but I'm making my official prediction that KB is scum in this game.

This makes me really happy.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

This makes me really happy.

:love:

We'll see, friend.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

Hey Hum, how about you? Any thoughts on who the scum are yet?

- Iffy on TMM. I want to believe that alignment stuff was a bad joke but it's easy for scum to play off slips as jokes that early in the game. Lean scum.
- Don't like Bif's hedging on TMM, feels like scum trying to lightly push fellow scum without going too hard on them. The rest of her posting is pretty in line with her usual play style, though so I'm fairly neutral on her.
- BK is hard for me to read. I like some of what he had to say about Bif, but then other parts felt like he was forcing a case. Lean slightly town for now, but if 50 was dead neutral, 1 was scum, and 100 was town superstar I'd put Bif at 49 and BK at 51. Really hard for me to pick a side in that argument right now.
- IP defending himself from Bif with that odd justification makes me go hmm. Then he caved once Max and Asiina poked him on it. I don't feel good enough to put a vote down on him, and I don't think we'll get much more out of him about that.
- Sober and MMT lurking makes me wary, but my pet peeve is chronic lurking (which is ironic since I've been guilty of it many times).
- Obligatory mention that your [ul]NEW[/ul] meta makes you seem scummy.

If I had a gun to my head I'd pick TMM, Sober, MMT, and then maybe Bif or IP. Extreme dark horse Asiina because I'm not a huge fan of how she's talked herself into a BK vote, but I can understand the reasoning she has for it and it's relatively consistent with my opinion on the BK/Bif exchange.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

well that's what I get for not previewing my post, really thought it was [ul]

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Asiina posted:

Hmmmm

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TMMadman posted:

I don't see this as true at all. Seriously, it sounds like you're complaining because BK has 3 reasons why he thought bif was worth a vote.

1. Hedgey post
2. Hiding behind others work
3. Setting up chain lunch

And you're saying that's not good enough for a vote.

I'm getting suspicious of you.

for someone who wants to defend the idea of BK having so many reasons, you didn't even say "sussing" once in this post!

ok ok I'm going back to sleep

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Asiina posted:

Hmmmm

Whoops forgot to switch my account.

(I also agree with Asiina)

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Any elaboration or just pure gut?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Not from me, at least.

I had a pretty good track record of being able to gut read whether KB was scum or not before his new meta, so I'm just putting my prediction in now.

It's absolutely not where I'd want to vote today and also don't expect it to convince anyone else, but I want to call it early in case I'm right.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was mostly pinged by his multiple town calls he made in a row without much effort to look for suspicion elsewhere. I know he's going for a new meta but he's usually still kind of spiky.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Mornin’, all, beginning to catch up now.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:cheers: The following people are still under 10 posts for the day: IllegallySober, Murmur Twin, Social Studies 3rd Period, SolusLunes. I believe in you! :cheers:

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

BottleKnight (3): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina
Bifauxnen (2): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman
TMMadman (2): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina
IcePhoenix (1): Max
hambeet (0): SolusLunes, SolusLunes
Mr. Humalong (0): Max, Max
King Burgundy (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Max (0): Asiina, Asiina
Murmur Twin (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (8): Asphyxious, hambeet, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Mr. Humalong, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, SolusLunes :rubshands:

With 16 people still alive, it takes 9 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 02nd, 2018 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 5 hours, 30 minutes.

The wagon train is moving at a steady pace. Today's execution method is Simple Majority.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh poo poo that deadline.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ah hell forgot the deadline was so soon. Much as I prefer it, probably not going to be around the hour or so up to deadline for today. (Hooray for training new people!)

still getting used to posting on mobile, definitely no going back to a flip that's for sure

Will try to pitch in a bit more here shortly...

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Alrighty then let's break this down!

D1 had a couple of phases it went through, obvious jokephase:

Max posted:

I disagree with the MMT read outright, I just wanted to know how he could have even found something on KB, but that doesn't matter because:

This is bad.

Max posted:

Fair?

You could have just said "lol I was joking these clearly aren't legitimate" and that would have been one thing.

You got self conscious and came up with a fake rear end reason instead.

These read a lot like Max missing jokes, and idle off-the-cuff observations, and reading a looooooooooot into them. But he never voted TMM so :shrug:

I can see where IP put his vote on TMM but I don't see the case. The twenty-emote meltdown does come off as frustrated town, but I'm not willing to give him credit, since all he did is hitch his wagon to Max/Asiina's admittedly poor case. (Max never voted TMM!)

BottleKnight posted:

Are you saying TMM is worth a vote, then?

This is good, subtle prodding of someone to make them firm their stance. That's pretty townie in my opinion.

BottleKnight posted:

##vote bif

This reads to me as you determining whether or not to bandwagon, and deciding you might join the bandwagon later. Additionally, it’s weird to phrase it as Asiina “sussing out” when she’s made it clear the case is worth a vote. Additionally, setting up your basically-a-chain-Lynch is an intense hedge. I come away from this post having no idea what you think about TMM.

The 'chain lynch' is a wild misinterpretation of what bif has said. (incidentally, I've always read 'sussing out' as 'coming to a conclusion due to a collection of facts and gut reads')

BottleKnight posted:

It reads to me as a scum saying “I might join this case, but only later, to make it clear that if it’s a mislynch it was NOT my fault!”

This is a worthwhile observation, though.

Bifauxnen posted:

it feels like scum bullshit, like he's already made up his mind he's going to read everything in the most unfavourable way possible to create a case, and transform a note for later into a whole narrative about chain lunches.

Okay this is fair but it's pretty OMGUSsy

Bifauxnen posted:

So when I said "this is where I'd look first for scum" I meant precisely and exactly what I actually said. It is a note to self, or for others to notice on their rereads if I am gone on D2.

This is how I read bif's original post, incidentally.

Then there's a lot of posting about posting.

I just don't understand why BK decided to double down on misinterpreting things Bif said, when bif was extremely clear.

Basically my two major reads are BK as Pretty Scum For Day One and, to a significantly lesser degree, Max for his complete robot-ing and missing jokes and off-the-cuff observations from TMM.

##vote BK

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

essentially BK started out as acting pretty town, and then doubled down real hard on misinterpretations of Bif.

It may be some terrible tunneling and a town v town slapfight, because this is how those look.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

IP is definitely reading as frustrated town and I get it.

He's probably a good target for investigative actions though, but I wouldn't feel comfortable lynching him and I'd prefer a no-lynch.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

IllegallySober posted:

Mornin’, all, beginning to catch up now.

When you catch up (good luck/hurry, hurry!) would be curious to hear your thoughts as a fellow mostly quiet person so far I'd be curious on your thoughts re: beek.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Which you did while I was posting a bit it seems, so, neat. :v:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

SolusLunes posted:

IP is definitely reading as frustrated town and I get it.

He's probably a good target for investigative actions though, but I wouldn't feel comfortable lynching him and I'd prefer a no-lynch.

mafia edit: prefer a no-lynch to lynching IP

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Hello friend! IP is not me. He has not posted. Those were my posts.

My glorious, magnificent posts.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

No he didn't

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't really get that multi-quote post Solus just did, because it seems like you're leaning for BK as town, but then declare Bif town and vote for him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SolusLunes posted:

Alrighty then let's break this down!

D1 had a couple of phases it went through, obvious jokephase:

These read a lot like Max missing jokes, and idle off-the-cuff observations, and reading a looooooooooot into them. But he never voted TMM so :shrug:

I can see where IP put his vote on TMM but I don't see the case. The twenty-emote meltdown does come off as frustrated town, but I'm not willing to give him credit, since all he did is hitch his wagon to Max/Asiina's admittedly poor case. (Max never voted TMM!)

This is good, subtle prodding of someone to make them firm their stance. That's pretty townie in my opinion.

The 'chain lynch' is a wild misinterpretation of what bif has said. (incidentally, I've always read 'sussing out' as 'coming to a conclusion due to a collection of facts and gut reads')

This is a worthwhile observation, though.

Okay this is fair but it's pretty OMGUSsy

This is how I read bif's original post, incidentally.

Then there's a lot of posting about posting.

I just don't understand why BK decided to double down on misinterpreting things Bif said, when bif was extremely clear.

Basically my two major reads are BK as Pretty Scum For Day One and, to a significantly lesser degree, Max for his complete robot-ing and missing jokes and off-the-cuff observations from TMM.

##vote BK

Not a fan of these reads. Can you find a quote from BK that makes you think he doubled down on misrepresentation when you pretty much agree with 2/3's of the posts you quoted from him? From the way you wrote that I would think you'd land at "I think bif is scum"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Asiina posted:

I don't really get that multi-quote post Solus just did, because it seems like you're leaning for BK as town, but then declare Bif town and vote for him.

God loving damnit Asiina.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Get the gently caress out of my head.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SolusLunes posted:

Hello friend! IP is not me. He has not posted. Those were my posts.

My glorious, magnificent posts.

You are absolutely right, oops. Skim reading bad!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

This.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Seems like he considers the pro-townie factors to be outweighed by the vociferous nature of BKs attacks, which he considers to be largely unsupported misintepretations?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Max posted:

Not a fan of these reads. Can you find a quote from BK that makes you think he doubled down on misrepresentation when you pretty much agree with 2/3's of the posts you quoted from him? From the way you wrote that I would think you'd land at "I think bif is scum"

I can do that.

I will admit I got sick of quoting the whole slapfight.

It's a lot of the fact that BK latched onto the chain lynch thing and would just not let go, regardless of the fact that it was clarified to specifically not be for a chain lynch:

BottleKnight posted:

Sounds like something we can bring up tomorrow, not today. Which is the whole reason chain lynches are bad: because at best it's fake content that doesn't matter when you don't know what the D1/N1 flips are. At worst, it's you setting up something pretty sinister as scum. I understand it's only a pseudo-chain lynch because you're not saying "we should execute X if Y flips town" but it's very much still in that territory in a bad way, imo!

I get that your whole thing is to be really combative but I'm not trying to be all "oh you just keep going don't you!" to you, just say who I think is scum. I find the extra posturing of "nice try" and "yeah this is bad" to read as scum upset that they just got nailed. I'm very comfortable with my vote.

After re-reading this, I guess I want to look at it again.

I still get a scummy gut feeling from beek, and I let it color my entire reading of their slapfight.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

sniper4625 posted:

Seems like he considers the pro-townie factors to be outweighed by the vociferous nature of BKs attacks, which he considers to be largely unsupported misintepretations?

Then why not quote those?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

okay yeah that was pretty much it

I am not good at words today

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The issue is that initial post you made looks like you're winding up to say "I think BK was the town person in that exchange given that you say most of his quotes were correct and slam Bif for throwing an OMGUS at him. Then you call him scum. It wasn't clear.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Let me also ask this: how is me being robot-like indicative of my alignment?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Max posted:

The issue is that initial post you made looks like you're winding up to say "I think BK was the town person in that exchange given that you say most of his quotes were correct and slam Bif for throwing an OMGUS at him. Then you call him scum. It wasn't clear.

I've noticed that I generally try to find as much evidence contradicting my thoughts as possible. I didn't really do a very good job of organizing my thoughts in that post.

Beek before getting into it with Bif was pretty towny, with a good subtle prod. Beek (seemingly deliberately) misinterpreting Bif's posting swung that needle firmly towards scum (by D1 standards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Max posted:

Let me also ask this: how is me being robot-like indicative of my alignment?

Other than giving me a gut feeling, it isn't.

• Locked thread