Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Humalong posted:

I assumed the latter.

Cool cool, just checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asiina posted:

sports bad

Even stuff like ping pong and croquet?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

I think we can chat about the game if you'd like.

drat, Jon Lester is on fire though.

I just turned the game on. My gf is a big Cubs fan, so go Cubbies.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Max posted:

I'm obligated to root for the Mets, so.

Good news they didn't make the playoffs. Might I recommend the team that is going to win the WS: The Houston Astros

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

I mean, Madman is right he wasn't going to be able to make a case for someone new with 30 minutes or so left, but I don't think Max is being scummy by asking him to explain his reasoning.

Notice how Max accused me of deflecting when I asked him his opinion on two players after he told me to 'be the change' and he still hasn't given any indication of his views on either of the players I asked about.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TMMadman posted:

Notice how Max accused me of deflecting when I asked him his opinion on two players after he told me to 'be the change' and he still hasn't given any indication of his views on either of the players I asked about.

Because I asked you a question first.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Lester being pulled at 88 pitches? BAD IDEA

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesus aaand if I'm reading right I wound up the only person not voting. Awesome, neat. Really loving hope I can do a bit better in day 2, cripes. I hope I didn't get a bit over my head! (Realtalk I should be alright, but, man. Now I know what to expect a bit better.)

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

IcePhoenix posted:

gaspy sure did stop posting after I voted

I’d be angry at you making bad reads on me when I’m town but you’re dead so I’ll call it even.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Frankly, I'm not really sold on either of the lynch leaders.

Max posted:

You have 30 minutes to turn things around then.

TMMadman posted:

What do you think about Hal?

Also, how about beet?

Max posted:

What a magnificent deflect.

And yet somehow, he asked me a question first.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You pointed out your issue with them and I addressed it. Why does tying up the vote make someone scummy?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
mafia edit - this is max's question, which I answered:

Max posted:

TMM you're still on Bif, what are your current thoughts.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Jesus aaand if I'm reading right I wound up the only person not voting. Awesome, neat. Really loving hope I can do a bit better in day 2, cripes. I hope I didn't get a bit over my head! (Realtalk I should be alright, but, man. Now I know what to expect a bit better.)

It's really only TERRIBLE if we were one vote shy of getting it done, but not voting looks bad since you aren't ever owning any opinions.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

With 13 minutes left you felt the need to tell me to lay off and that you weren't engaging me instead of laying down a vote. Were you prepared for a no-lunch?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Rightyo.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't know if I'm just too beligerent here but I just dealt with another player essentially muting me in your scooby doo game while I was trying to engage their argument. I'm not super happy with that response from you so I'm just going to cool it because we're in twilight, but it's lame to pull that.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

wait what why are there so many posts after - oh nice

still waiting to hear about Arnold btw :3:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No offense Max, but if you were legitimately trying to engage me, you'd have answered some of my questions as well.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And that's all I'm saying for the rest of the night.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

does anyone know a game where Max has actually been scum, I have still never seen it and I hear it is fearsome but I got no idea what it could look like

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779825

My personal favorite.

TMMadman posted:

No offense Max, but if you were legitimately trying to engage me, you'd have answered some of my questions as well.

I'm addressing this post game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Hey max, besides IP, who do you think is scum?

Asked a long time before the end of day. Never answered.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TMMadman posted:

And that's all I'm saying for the rest of the night.

TMMadman posted:

Asked a long time before the end of day. Never answered.

If I talk will you actually engage with me or are you just going to ignore me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OK.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:beerpal: Final Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

IcePhoenix (9): Max, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Asiina, BottleKnight, sniper4625, IllegallySober, Mr. Humalong, Murmur Twin
IllegallySober (3): Murmur Twin, hambeet, King Burgundy, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin
BottleKnight (1): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina, SolusLunes, Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina
Bifauxnen (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman, BottleKnight
Asphyxious (1): IcePhoenix
SolusLunes (0): King Burgundy, BottleKnight, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, King Burgundy, BottleKnight
hambeet (0): SolusLunes, SolusLunes
Mr. Humalong (0): Max, Max
King Burgundy (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Max (0): Asiina, Asiina
TMMadman (0): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza
Murmur Twin (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (1): Social Studies 3rd Period :rubshands:

With 16 people still alive, it took 9 votes to execute.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:cheers: As a clarification, conversations during twilight can continue on whatever topics you like - game-related or not. The only restriction is that whoever is hammered cannot post. :cheers:

Final Post Counts for Day 1:

:cheers: Everyone made at least 10 posts today! :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

As the wagon train's shadows stretch ever-longer before the sun's fading glow, the lowing of exhausted oxen signal an end to the day's travel. It hasn't been what anyone would call a quiet start to the journey - in the hours elapsed since the discovery that a murderer was hiding within their numbers, suspicion followed in their wake to consume all present. With accusations and recriminations flung to and fro, the wagon train rumbled to a staggered stop.

Before anything else - making camp, cooking dinner, watering the animals - everyone silently agreed on one crucial thing: it was time to take out the trash. If the migrants didn't do something (anything!) to try and stop the killer that had already struck once, they were just asking to have their journey cut all too fatally short.

A convenient tree stood nearby, and the conscientous travellers had packed plenty of rope. The unlucky target of the day's suspicions struggled and shouted, before eventually lapsing into a mixture of angry silence and hurled insults at the gathered crowd. Those with sensitive constitutions or young children covered eyes and ears as appropriate as the noose finally tightened...

quote:

One of your earliest memories is your mother's milk. Is that weird? That's definitely weird. The thing is, as far back as you can remember, you've always been in love with food - of all types. Every delectable flavor you can think of resonates with you - you've eaten your way through every cookery in town, and then some. But no matter what, you were never sated. It always felt like there was something more waiting for you on the horizon - and even when you resorted to Shine, it only got worse. Now it wasn't just the taste of food you craved - it was the taste of everyone's thoughts swirling around you!

:rip: IcePhoenix, aka Regina Ferrara, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was executed on Day 1! :rip:
While inspecting their possessions, you find another a torn scrap of paper covered in curious scribbles that resemble the one you found on the previous victim. Though everyone squints at it in turn with furrowed brows, regrettably not a single soul can make heads or tails of it.

Decision Time!

As you start your journey, you have an immediate decision to make - will the wagon train:

A. Take the Long Way North, sticking to American territory while passing through the narrow strip of Montana still uncontested by Nuevo Villa and Canada - but under both of their watchful gaze.

B. Risk Striking Out West, heading straight through the newly-conquered and sparsely-populated western badlands that now fall under the Villistas' control - tenuous though that might be.

:siren: Please send me a vote for A or B along with any action (or lack thereof) you take tonight! Your specific vote will remain secret, but the result will be revealed at the start of the next day. :siren:

With thoughts of what may lie ahead on the rest of their journey running through their heads, everyone sets up camp and prepares themselves for whatever may come next...

:cheers: Night 1 starts now. You have until 9:00 PM EDT, Wednesday 03-OCT-2018 for night actions (and your vote) - please let me know if you are specifically not taking an action. :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A new day dawns, the gentle sunlight washing over the covered wagons and rousing their inhabitants from their bedrolls of dubious provenance. Once they had finally drifted off to sleep the previous night, they slept deeply - exhausted from the first day's events. Unfortunately, that just meant they paid immediate dividends on the comfort (or lack thereof) of their sleeping accommodations - so different from the homes they had left behind, perhaps forever. Muttering and grumbling amongst themselves, the usual morning rituals of breakfast and preparing for the day's travels commenced.

Some time later, the sun had crept high enough in the sky to cast long shadows westward - as if drawing the travelers onward to their ultimate destination. As everyone prepared to leave, one particular busybody took note that someone seemed to be having a lie-in. Thumping a calloused fist against the late-riser's wagon, they were greeted with an irritated squawk... but not one that sounded particularly human at all. Lifting a corner of the wagon's canvas covering, they were greeted with a terrible sight...

quote:

You're not sure where you would be today if not for your best friend. They've always had your back when times got tough - keeping you afloat in the nastiest storms. When your parents passed away, they were there for you with a quick joke to lighten your heart where nobody else could. When your career crumbled beneath you thanks to your idiot boss' gross mis-management, they kept you from jumping off a bridge by reminding you that there was always a new tomorrow. And when you decided to leave everything else behind and set out West, they stayed by your side and encouraged you to follow your heart without a second thought otherwise.

...Sure, your best friend might be a parrot. So what?

:rip: Asiina, aka Werner Tennyson, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snitch}, was shot dead on Night 1! :rip:

But if they were stone cold dead... what had squawked like that just a moment ago? A moment's search revealed the truth - a half-hidden birdcage engraved with the name "ZARA," revealing what seemed to be a rather ill-tempered parrot. Noticing the sudden attention of those who had been inspecting the already-stiff corpse, the bird inhaled a massive breath before letting out an ear-piercing shrieking tirade that nobody awake could help but hear.

:parrot:
The following people visited Asiina last night:
BOTTLEKNIGHT

:parrot:

As a hush settled in the wake of that peculiar proclamation, one of the skinnier-looking migrants dug some earwax out of one ear with a gnarled fingernail and proposed an addition to the morning's victuals.

...As the wagon train got underway some time later, everyone agreed that the parrot had indeed been delicious.

:cheers: Day 2 starts now. Deadline is Friday 05-OCT-2018 at 10:00 PM EDT. :cheers:

The wagon train opts to Risk Striking Out West by majority vote.

One of the travelers remarks that they remember hearing about a small farming settlement in the direction you've chosen - perhaps they'll be willing to trade for supplies?

Today's execution method is Standard Majority. A 1-Shot bonus will be available at some point during the day.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:beerpal: Votecount for Day 2 :beerpal:

Not Voting (14): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Max, Mr. Humalong, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, SolusLunes, TMMadman :rubshands:

With 14 people still alive, it takes 8 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 05th, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days.

Today's execution method is Standard Majority. A 1-Shot bonus will be available at some point during the day.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Interesting

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Interesting indeed

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Well, that seems like a no brainer then.

##vote BK

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
##vote BK

BK, want to claim your action from last night?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Taking his time to discuss things with his scum buds before saying anything else. :)

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

This seems pretty solid evidence.

##vote BK

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Though I do want to know:

what'd you do last night, bif?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Sorry, was on the phone with my dad.

I’m a watcher (busybody) and was watching TMM, so this parrot thing is very confusing to me! Nobody visited TMM. But I don’t even begin to have the requisite information to explain this

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I think it’s fine to vote for me, I mean I probably would too in this circumstance, but I think it would be kinda stupid to turbo me? Like, sure, go ahead and execute me but not using the day for discussion and info seems like a mistake vOv

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
##vote bk

Yeah I'd like to hear more here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah no, obviously day should still progress to near it's normal length regardless so we can hear from everyone, etc. There are plenty of folks who haven't said much.

I'll unvote if you get close. But you are still fine.

• Locked thread