Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And I'm voting MMT right now because out of everyone in the game, she is the only person who did NOT actually post in the format I wanted to lie detect.

She specifically included her alignment despite the fact that I clearly made it known that I couldn't check a post that contained an alignment claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

##vote bif

Morning!

Thanks for the first present gaspy it was super useful!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Plus remember, this was MMT back on D1:

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel pretty strongly that

- IS is scum
- IP is the patsy (scummiest looking town)
- the reason that people aren't looking at IS with more suspicion is that he has a scumteam helping him out

I have probably ten more minutes or so before I pass out.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TMMadman posted:

And I'm voting MMT right now because out of everyone in the game, she is the only person who did NOT actually post in the format I wanted to lie detect.

She specifically included her alignment despite the fact that I clearly made it known that I couldn't check a post that contained an alignment claim.

These are all very good points.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also good with voting Bif too.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TMMadman posted:

I mean if this game started with a 4 person scum team plus the SK then I'll probably be irritated because I honestly feel that's too much non town for a 16 player game.

plus handing me a vig :v:

IS was mine, sorry bout that but at least I'm out of Shine now

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

plus handing me a vig :v:

IS was mine, sorry bout that but at least I'm out of Shine now

Why would you shoot IS?

I know I left it a little open, but he was obviously one of the main targets for my lie detect.

I'm honestly pissed because that is who I lied detected and of course it came back as truth.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

TMMadman posted:

I'm also good with voting Bif too.

I think we all should. She's scum.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The part where tmm has not posted his results seems pretty weird to me.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I came out and directly asked him to post that he did not kill Solus.

Didn't that give you some idea that I might be seriously considering him as my test?

I actually tested his claim post because I felt it would provide more information.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TMMadman posted:

Why would you shoot IS?

I know I left it a little open, but he was obviously one of the main targets for my lie detect.

I'm honestly pissed because that is who I lied detected and of course it came back as truth.

well see, why'd you pick him for the lie detect? I wanted to finally sort it cause he never got lunched when people were pushing for him, night actions kept distracting everyone from everything.

Like this one:

hambeet posted:

I think we all should. She's scum.

yeah, just as scum as Solus was

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

well see, why'd you pick him for the lie detect? I wanted to finally sort it cause he never got lunched when people were pushing for him, night actions kept distracting everyone from everything.

Like this one:

yeah, just as scum as Solus was

Because he was the clearly the person that was going to get voted.

He had a direct action and stated he was at the NK. If his claim came back true then there is no way he could have been scum because why would scum bother dropping a resource on someone they were killing?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:shrug:. I don't know who trying to discredit night actions would benefit, town or scum?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Because he was the clearly the person that was going to get voted today if he had lived

He had a direct action and stated he was at the NK. If his claim came back true then there is no way he could have been scum because why would scum bother dropping a resource on someone they were killing?

mafia edit.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hmmmm

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

But anyway, I think TMM's right that

##vote MMT

Is the way to go today.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
##vote MMT

TMMadman posted:

I mean if this game started with a 4 person scum team plus the SK then I'll probably be irritated because I honestly feel that's too much non town for a 16 player game.

:v:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
##vote MMt

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
##vote MMT

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I also had considered doing Xad, but I didn't feel like I would get any real information from that because for all I know his confound action isn't actually a jail.

I thought about it a lot today before I submitted my action and there was nobody else I could reliably detect and figure they were town aside from IS.

So bif killing that person when she knows that I was going to lie detect someone really doesn't sit right with me at all.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: Hey, that's a hammer for Murmur Twin!

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 4 :beerpal:

Murmur Twin (5): TMMadman, Bifauxnen, Xad, sniper4625, Asphyxious
Bifauxnen (1): hambeet

Not Voting (3): Hal Incandenza, King Burgundy, Murmur Twin :rubshands:

With 9 people still alive, it takes 5 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 11th, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days.

Today's execution method is Standard Majority. A 1-Shot bonus will be available at some point during the day.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
:hammer:?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

##win with Arnold

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress 4 this game...Sorry pod. 4 person scum teams in a 16 person game plus an SK is too much.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Faaark

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really pissed off at this now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

How many games do you want to be scum gaspy

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why does everyone put way too many non town in games?

Kash does it all the time too. It's bonkers.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

hambeet posted:

How many games do you want to be scum gaspy

A LOT LESS THANK YOU I DO NOT CARE FOR THIS LIFE

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SHUT UP AND LET POD DO FLAVOR.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:cheers: As an exception, I would like to ask that people refrain from posting until I can process this. Thank you! :cheers:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max posted:

SHUT UP AND LET POD DO FLAVOR.

Bifauxnen posted:

##win with Arnold

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artwIp9Jp0k

pre:
Where'm I going
I don't know
where am I heading I ain't certain
all I know is I am on my way
(Gold fever
Gold fever)
when will I be there
I don't know
when will I get there
I ain't certain
all I know is I am on my way
(Gold fever
Gold fever)
The four travelers who had set off to scrounge about came upon an abandoned and weed-choked trio of wagons - clearly remnants of a less-lucky journey than theirs. They set about searching... or at least made a game attempt at it, though they couldn't help but be irritated at one member of their search party who clearly had her dander up about another member of the wagon train. Discarding any attempt at at digging through the wreckage, she instead collared the other searchers for a fine old rant about her suspicions - how that rude man didn't even bother to abide by her perfectly reasonable request for a certain phrasing, and that it clearly meant he must be one of the hideous murderers! Concealing their sighs and rolled eyes, the others humored her - one even going so far as to pat her on the back in a consoling manner.

*bang*

quote:

The world used to be a very quiet place. Sometimes you miss that, but there's no turning back now. Certainly, you were always interested in music - went to school for it and everything. Your teachers whispered to each other about how you had perfect pitch, and you were broadly considered to be a prodigy with a bright future ahead of you. Shine enhanced that even further, sharpening your hearing into something truly special - you're still not sure, to this day, exactly what it is that you hear when under the influence... but it's beautiful.

With all that in your favor, surely you had a bright life ahead of you, full of opportunities! Unfortunately, you had the poor luck of moving out to Texas for your first steady gig right before the Mexicans stormed in and it all went to hell - and now you're right back where you started. Maybe there'll be better opportunities out West? It certainly can't hurt - you'll just have to keep your ears open and see what Shine brings your way.

:rip: TMMadman, aka Claudia Sommer, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Echo}, was endgamed! :rip:

Abruptly silenced, the echoes of the migrant's rant died away as she slumped to the ground - revealing a still-smoking pistol in the hand of the man who had just been comforting her. He grinned and held up an empty bottle of Shine - clearly, he had found something in his search while the others were distracted. Before anyone else could react, the other woman in the search party pulled a pistol from her purse - more of a toolkit, if one were to look at it twice - and gunned the fourth member of their group down.

*BANG*

quote:

There's just not enough hours in the day to get everything done! With a whole wide world out there to see, full of people to meet and angles to play, why would anyone ever just sit around and waste time? Take yourself, for instance - the second you heard about gold out West, you were off like a shot with the first wagon train you could find! Certainly, you could have taken your time and scoped your options out a bit more - but that's LAYABOUT TALK! Only those who strive for greatness will achieve it, while those who wait for life's rewards to fall into their lap shall be left shiftless and poor! Certainly, things have already become more interesting than you anticipated - but that just means this is yet another opportunity to distinguish yourself!

:rip: King Burgundy, aka Robert Dane, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Motivator}, was endgamed! :rip:

Faces splitting into genuine (if a bit predatory) grins, the two murderers caught each other up in a fierce embrace. They had done it!

quote:

Reacting to surprises that come your way is the only way to get by in life, no matter what it demands of you. The world's thrown you plenty of bad deals, but you're known as someone who will do just about anything to come out on top. Shine, for better or worse, latched onto that particular aspect of you and... amplified it, in a surprising way. You're not complaining though - it gives you even more options than you had before, even if it doesn't do much for your looks. Getting all oozey-gooey ain't bad if it lets you smash your way through anything in your path, or slip unseen through the finest cracks!

:clint: Bifauxnen, aka Adrien Angioli, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Adapter}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

quote:

Gears are one of the most soothing things in the world - they just fit smoothly into the greater whole, happy to play their part... unlike yourself. But once Shine came into your life with its unique potential, you were finally able to capture that serenity at last - the feeling of ticking cheerfully away without a care in the world. But soon, putting a bit of your mind into a simple cog wasn't enough... you had to have more. More CONTROL. Let the world fall into place for YOU, for once!

:clint: Asphyxious, aka Dortha Klassen, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Gadgeteer}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

pre:
Got a dream boy
got a song
paint your wagon
and come along
and get
gold fever
no rockin' rollin' girl and fella stuff
can cure the
gold fever
nothin can help you but the yellow stuff
what
can stop that itchin
ain't
around the kitchen
gold gold
gold gold
goooooold
Aside from hunting for supplies, the foremost thing on everyone's minds was food - if they couldn't keep the wagon train's bellies full, not a single soul would make it out West. But as the hunters tramped into the damp undergrowth, the strain of the journey thus far weighed heavily upon them and their guns quivered ever so slightly in their grasp. Each surrounded in their thoughts, they spread out and took up position - waiting for the right moment to fire upon their unsuspecting prey. One of the hunters nearly jumped out of his skin as another traveler - nice-looking woman, she's the one that had been getting all sniffy before - crept up by him. It was only by the grace of God that he didn't shoot her dead right then and there, but she seemed altogether too distracted to notice. Whispering for him to look at something, she pulled a stiff piece of cardstock out of her vest and showed him a set of blurry... were those fingerprints? Matching the scene of the previous murders?! They had to tell the others, there wasn't a moment to lo-

*BANG* *BANG*

quote:

You miss the restaurant, sometimes. Sure, the kitchen was hot and sticky in the summers and cold enough to leave you shivering by the stove in the winters - but it was YOUR kitchen, dang it! You had plenty of good years there, slinging good food to happy folks and making a name for yourself among the folks who actually cared about such things. But then along came bad ole Shine... at first you thought it was the greatest thing on God's green earth. Who wouldn't love having the sharpest sniffer in the world? But then things got weird. For whatever reason, you couldn't stop thinking about how things would smell to your customers. You had to do anything you could to keep their food smelling good - how had you never noticed the flaws with your cooking before?!

Sadly, it didn't take long for you to have a total breakdown. They found you two towns over picking violets from some lady's garden and muttering about umami, and that was it for you. At least this journey west is another chance - a new opportunity to try something different. Might as well sniff out whatever you can in the process!

:rip: hambeet, aka Gwendoline Neil, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was endgamed! :rip:

The second hunter dropped like a poleaxed steer too, gun slipping from nerveless fingers. The murderer checked both bodies briefly, heartily congratulating himself on his good fortune that the idiots had decided to split up like they did today. The echoes of his rough laughter faded as he headed back to camp, leaving two rapidly-cooling corpses...

quote:

Staying in the background tends to suit you - after all, the spotlight sears when its baleful gaze drifts your way. A certain sort of humility, you suppose. Why hog attention when there are so many others out there more deserving of it than you? Even when you took to the Shine, you stuck to that mindset - but with a bit of a different spin. After all, if nobody's paying attention to the same thing you are... perhaps it's time for you to take what you deserve at last.

:clint: Mr. Humalong/Xad, aka Gareth Albert, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Confounder}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

...until one of them shivered in the chill damp, before jolting upright and looking around to see if they had truly gone. As the tingling power of Shine faded from his skin, he let out a quiet sigh. He'd gotten lucky, once again... but enough was enough. Time to make the sensible decision and stay out of whatever was happening next - there'd be other opportunities so long as he lived.

quote:

Sometimes, you just can't help yourself. You could have left well enough alone - just sipped your drink, looked the other way, and ignored the thugs dragging a drunkard out back. If you would have just done that, then life would have been so much simpler these days! But no, you had to knock back your Shine and follow them out back, and things... well, things escalated from there. Thanks to that last drink, the guns weren't so much of a problem - but the guys holding them, and their (many) friends with far-too-long memories? Well, maybe a change of scenery will do you some good.

:rip: Hal Incandenza, aka Josiah Benvenuti, Migrant-Aligned Bodyguard {Bulletproof}, was endgamed! :rip:

pre:
they call the wind Mariah
away out here
they got a name
for rain and wind and fire
the rain is Tess
the fire's Jo
and they call the wind Mariah
Back at camp, the remaining two members of the traveling party tended to the animals and kept the fires stoked, while anxiously listening for signs of the others' return. Minutes stretched into an eternity, and boredom soon set in. One of the two men sat on a stump by the fire with a sigh, picking up the four scraps of paper that had been left nearby after everyone's puzzled examination of them earlier in the morning. Brow furrowed, he squinted carefully at them as if committing them to memory. Indeed, they were the last thing that he would ever remember.

*BANG*

quote:

How touching. The dumb bitch was defending her deadbeat boyfriend, even though it meant she'd hang for it. Honestly, how can people possibly be this STUPID? You've grown tired of dealing with people day in and day out - no matter what, they always manage to disappoint you. Even the kindest, most upstanding people have a rotten core - and it's your job to feel that out. The truth is always at your fingertips, especially with the power of Shine behind you!

:rip: Murmur Twin, aka Fredrick Bull, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was endgamed! :rip:

His murderer shoved the rapidly-cooling corpse to the side, sending the mist swathing the ground aloft in a massive puff. Sitting comfortably on the now-vacant stump, he assessed the body with a calculated gaze. A quick search of the body revealed yet another scrap of paper similar to the others had been found already - looking thoughtfully at it for a moment, he set it aside. It had been quite the onerous journey thus far, and they'd come drat near close to disaster too many times for his liking. But if everything was going according to plan, that would be the last of the idiots that they had to deal with...

quote:

Growing up, you were always a bit tired of people telling you to cheer up instead of being such a grump all the time. Nobody ever listened when you tried to explain why it's not as simple as that! But like many others before you, you eventually turned to drink as a way to manage your negativity... and it, quite literally, turned your life upside down in one single sip. Anything you touched, you could reverse somehow - you'd never heard of Shine affecting anyone like this before! But it didn't take too long before you realized the possibilities of what the power of Shine could flip, and suddenly things became a great deal more interesting...

:clint: sniper4625, aka Adam Brandt, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Inverter}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

pre:
I was born
under a wandrin star
I was born under a wandrin star
wheels are made for rollin
mules are made to pack
I never seen a sight that didn't look better lookin back
I was born, I was born...
a million miles away
Send back the world
There's too much night for me
The sky is much too high
To shelter me when darkness falls
Four cabin walls
Would be just right for me
A million miles away behind the door
One joyful reunion later, the claim jumpers spent the rest of the day and night drinking and carousing - the rest of their journey was bound to be a piece of cake, with all the supplies that their former traveling partners no longer needed. Heck, they'd even found a few more dusty bottles of Shine tucked away! The mysterious scribbled scraps of paper were squinted at a few more times, but ultimately cast aside - an useless distraction, at this point. Life was looking good for them, and who knew what opportunities the West would hold for enterprising folks like them?

pre:
You wanna see sin of the wickedest kind?
Here it is!
You wanna see virtue left behind?
Here it is!
Sodom was vice
And visa-versa
You wanna say where the vice is worser?
Here it is!
I mean, here it is!
You wanna live life in the rottenest city?
Here it is!
Women and whiskey, night and day?
Here it is!
You wanna embrace the golden calf?
Ankle, and thigh, and upper half?
Here it is!
I mean, here it is!
The next morning, they awoke with raging hangovers to realize something baffling. One of their number was gone - along with one of the wagons and a goodly quantity of provisions... and the five scraps of paper that had been carelessly cast aside the previous night. All that was left in return was a hastily-scrawled note:

"Left your fair shares, more or less. Good luck to you out West. Got unfinished business elsewhere."

quote:

Growing up, you were always a bit tired of people telling you to cheer up instead of being such a grump all the time. Nobody ever listened when you tried to explain why it's not as simple as that! But like many others before you, you eventually turned to drink as a way to manage your negativity... and it, quite literally, turned your life upside down in one single sip. Anything you touched, you could reverse somehow - you'd never heard of Shine affecting anyone like this before! But it didn't take too long before you realized the possibilities of what the power of Shine could flip, and suddenly things became a great deal more interesting...

War changed your life, in ways that nobody can ever begin to comprehend. You stood by your leader's side, and whispered the honeyed words in her ear that brought an army - a state - a nation to its knees. But in the end, all you could think about was what she left you - both her final words, and the sheaf of crucial battlefield intelligence that went with them. You've spent a long time considering what to do with both... though in your heart, you know the decision was already made the second the echoes of those executioners' guns died away. The Americans are powerless... but there are others out there who could use this, to carry out her vengeance. You just need enough funding to make it happen... with a little help from the power of Shine. After all, who knows more about shifting allegiances than you - the most famous traitor of the Southwestern War?

Now here you are, weathered by time, toil, and far more than any single soul can bear unscathed. You've had a good long run, but there's no room for error left in your life. The weathered scrap of paper secure in your pocket is evidence of the six-person tontine you joined when you were much younger and far more carefree - and you'll do whatever it takes to make it yours so you can carry out Ma's final wish, even if you have to turn this whole wagon train inside out. The still-warm pistol in your pocket is proof of that.

:smug: sniper4625, aka Adam Arnold Brandt, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Inverter}, is the last member living of the six-person tontine! They have left the game with an INDIVIDUAL VICTORY! :smug:

(They have ALSO earned $20 in forums certs/Steam games/a donation to the charity of their choice! Please let me know what your choice is!)

pre:
Where am I going
I don't know
Where'm I heading
I ain't certain
all that I know is I am on my way
(gold fever)
nothing can help you but the yellow stuff
what
can stop that itchin
ain't
around the the kitchen
gold, gold
hooked am I
Shine VI: Fool's Gold was a game of Mafia for 16 players:
4 Claim Jumpers, led by a man that would not be deterred from his mission.
1 Serial Killer, out for the fortune she was owed thanks to a lifetime of service.
11 Migrants, seeking fame and riches out West for their own reasons.

Mod Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lvVknQS3SuP-IhfHdSg7tZij4OUBaf7_Ql-Be4KWa6Q/edit?usp=sharing
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/krqW3kD

Thank you all for playing and reading along!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Good work scum, sad it was over so fast.... Shine VII?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh and super cool flavor AS ALWAYS

At least I only protected scum once...

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I just really really hate a 4 person scum team plus a SK in a 16 player game.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GG, scumteam. And thanks for running the game, Pod!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Grats to scum, I should have pushed the itches I had in the back of my head harder I think, but they played well.

TMM, it's been my mantra recently that you don't have to be a jerk to people in these games

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I guess you did in one of your only real opinions of the day. It was so early in the game I forgot about it.

TMMadman posted:

I just disagree. I've said he's given a few but I also feel that he's been dodging giving actual opinions.

Look at the first post and then the second and decide for yourself why I think you can tone down the nastiness in this game. You can say someone is doing something scummy without also having to shove your finger in their eye to make a point. "Stop being so sensitive" is just the least empathetic statement you can make to someone asking you to stop being a jerk.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TMMadman posted:

Man, I just really really hate a 4 person scum team plus a SK in a 16 player game.

Maybe next time don't quick vote so close to endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Thanks Pod, that was my first Shine game and I really enjoyed the flavour.

• Locked thread