Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

However, even if we ignore weird tinfoil stuff, if we left you alive today, and tried someone else and didn't get scum, it puts us in a potentially really bad position tomorrow. Theoretically tomorrow we'd be at 10 players alive if scum get a kill tonight. It could actually be 9 players alive if Bif is really a vig like she says. Then if there were actually 4 scum left, tomorrow is lylo. And since we've left you till tomorrow, we now have to either cuddle you because you are the result on the table, or forgo your cuddle again because we are worried about it. If you are town and we wait till tomorrow to cuddle you, we potentially lose.

Town voting in lylo when warned about it. :(

----

King Burgundy posted:

Not at all. Your cuddle is based on a result. We have no result on Sniper. So the situation is totally different.

If we cuddle you today, tomorrow we are just left with Mafia. I'll probably try to convince people it's Sniper, its true. Or Bif. Or Xad. But it will be a discussion that is based mostly on play for most people(I weigh night stuff a lot more than most, so I'll still be using that to inform my reads). And there will even be a bit more info to inform it. Who did scum kill and why? Did TMM come in with results, what are they? Etc.

If we saved you for tomorrow, there are going to be plenty of people who want to cuddle you regardless of play. And that is a bad position to be in at lylo.

---

I've already given several theories for how I think the cops could actually be sound and the game could still be balanced. I think Sanity is a really boring way for Pod to handle it, so I'm hoping he didn't go that route. I like my ideas very much even if no one else has given them the time of day. :)

I'll take solace in knowing I was right. It's a shame the rest of our party didn't want to take the time to talk it through and listen. :)

---

GG scum! Thank you for leaving me alive even though I was right, I appreciate it a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MOTHERFUCKER POD I KNEW YOU HID A DETHY IN THIS GAME WHEN THE CLAIMS CAME OUT YOU RAT BASTARD

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Town voting in lylo when warned about it. :(

----

I'll take solace in knowing I was right. It's a shame the rest of our party didn't want to take the time to talk it through and listen. :)

---

GG scum! Thank you for leaving me alive even though I was right, I appreciate it a ton.

I would have voted Bif today for sure

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Monathin posted:

MOTHERFUCKER POD I KNEW YOU HID A DETHY IN THIS GAME WHEN THE CLAIMS CAME OUT YOU RAT BASTARD

Lol you were right

Hey pod can we read the scumchat it’s showing up as blank in discord

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
4 scum v 1 SK v 11 town is a perfectly reasonable setup. Heck, I think it's a town-favored one. Y'all just got unlucky and trigger-happy.

Cop sanity is a very poor mechanic, on the criticism front. I don't think the mod lying to players is ever a good design choice, bar explicit mention of potential bastardry in the OP.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 10, 2018

Max
Nov 30, 2002

GeneX posted:

4 scum v 1 SK v 11 town is a perfectly reasonable setup. Heck, I think it's a town-favored one.

That's pretty much the nailbiter setup, and town has pulled out a W plenty of times with that.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

I already posted them? I thought you even responded to at least one of them, but could be wrong.

To be clear, Theories included: Sniper as Nexus, Xad Confound power is not actually a jail, but something that causes result failures so it looks like one(this would be something he'd use on scum to protect them), Godfather, and even something like all the scum have godfather except when performing the kill.

Obviously not all in play. Right now I lean towards a combo of what you posted here combined with something like Xad's Confound power not being a jail.

Mod doc:"All actions other than a Kill fail against the target."

Right again.

Oh KB, you so crazy with your tin foil theories.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Miscellaneous Setup Thoughts:
- Yes, the game started from the seed of "but what if a dethy" - Monathin had this absolutely right in deadchat.
- I hate the cop role as a rule, but I treated this game as a challenge to myself in how to use it in a balanced way. I think I succeeded via limited-use/sanity/incentivizing cops to NOT reveal themselves or push for executions of other revealed cops by way of the tontine.
-- Incidentally, sanities were: Max (Sane), hambeet (Naive), IcePhoenix (Paranoid), and MMT (Insane)
- The tontine was the most experimental feature of this game, since I wanted to add a little intrigue to counterbalance town cops. In retrospect I could have done this better by adding some kind of tontine-cop ability (similar to what I've done for Bosses in previous games), but I only thought of this partway through Day 2. Drat!
- TMM's role-inheriting ability and the inventor's Rolecop would have revealed cop sanity. I went back and forth a lot on whether to reveal sanity with flips, and ultimately decided that doing so would be far too harmful to scum in a situation where cops were likely to fullclaim the instant they were out of Shine.

More to come as I think of them.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Couple thoughts/questions:

1.) What did wind up happening with MMT's scan on me?

2.) Awesome flavor for the game.

3.) bif we were mason buddies how could you do this </3

4.) I think I did OK for my first game! Shoulda kept on my guns for Gaspy early on. Thanks for makin it fun, y'all. While the vote on me was very much the right move, I think, all things considered -

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

-Hum/Xad: Not a whole ton of content from either and has been super lowkey. Same to sniper, honestly.
-I still strongly think between TMM or Bif, at least - at least! - one of them are scum.
-Gaspy keeps pinging my radar, hard, and I really don't like you went ahead and took my comments out of context earlier. But I know you've been cleared, twice over apparently, but I'd stil lwatch you closely.
-MMT, maybe, after going back through her posting, but I also won't be surprised if there's some sort of result fuckery going on.

- not perfect, but pretty close, just sayin'.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

Hey pod can we read the scumchat it�s showing up as blank in discord

This SHOULD be fixed, you may need to restart Discord (forgot to enable message history)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Insane cop means they get the reverse result.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Haha, and dead chat thought I was scum.

This is the greatest.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Max posted:

Insane cop means they get the reverse result.

Yeah saw Pod's post right after mine. Hah!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

KB, Bif was pushing you as scum in mason chat. I pointed out that you would not have killed Asiina night 1.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

She was an Insane Cop - gets reversed results.

If you look at the mod doc I added a few comments to the Action Tracker - she ALMOST scanned 3 scum before changing her submitted action for N2 (she had a double-action thanks to KB) to scan you and another scumbo.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Podima posted:

Miscellaneous Setup Thoughts:
- Yes, the game started from the seed of "but what if a dethy" - Monathin had this absolutely right in deadchat.

:argh: Dammit, Pod!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I guess it was mostly Monathin. Monathin, the super wrongiest wrongerton. :)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Now you know why I never responded to requests for Arnold flavor!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Max posted:

KB, Bif was pushing you as scum in mason chat. I pointed out that you would not have killed Asiina night 1.

Yeah, anyone that actually knows me, would know that would clear me in this game. I mean, people were still after me, but they were silly and wrong.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Great game with amazing flavour as always.

Thank you so much for running it Pod!

And thank you sniper for putting up with my daily bussing :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

King Burgundy posted:

I guess it was mostly Monathin. Monathin, the super wrongiest wrongerton. :)

Grats KB, your meta's working.

this just means I won't feel bad about killing you early in other games, since I can't read you at all anymore. :)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, anyone that actually knows me, would know that would clear me in this game. I mean, people were still after me, but they were silly and wrong.

I thought you were a good guy, even if I didn't buy into all your theories (but at least you can gloat in your loss!)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I find it vastly hilarious that the "What happens if Beet invert-investigates an invertee" actually happened, directly leading to the quickhammer.

Good game folks, definitely learned some good stuff for future attempts.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Monathin posted:

Grats KB, your meta's working.

this just means I won't feel bad about killing you early in other games, since I can't read you at all anymore. :)

Actually, it should make you think, I should really keep KB alive, because if he's a town, he's a great resource that I should listen to.

I'm sad about my ability to convince with my playstyle how it is. But I'm super proud of how ON I was. Why would you want to get rid of that early? :)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Asphyxious posted:

Great game with amazing flavour as always.

Thank you so much for running it Pod!

And thank you sniper for putting up with my daily bussing :v:

Victory forgives all slights my Jumpin friend.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

Now you know why I never responded to requests for Arnold flavor!

I'm so happy :blush:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

King Burgundy posted:

Actually, it should make you think, I should really keep KB alive, because if he's a town, he's a great resource that I should listen to.

I'm sad about my ability to convince with my playstyle how it is. But I'm super proud of how ON I was. Why would you want to get rid of that early? :)

Because if I'm having trouble reading you as town I sure as poo poo ain't trusting you, Kibbles. :comfysamus:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
hey bif

hey

hey bif

Bifauxnen posted:

##win with Arnold

...sort of

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Monathin posted:

Because if I'm having trouble reading you as town I sure as poo poo ain't trusting you, Kibbles. :comfysamus:

I mean, your loss then. Your loss. Get it? ;)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

King Burgundy posted:

I mean, your loss then. Your loss. Get it? ;)

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it, I'm not missing Shine VII.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In general I don't want to get too deep into a balance debate, but here are a few thoughts:

- You'll see from the mod doc that I keep a running tally of scum:town ratios across my Shine games to figure out what works, and this game fit into what I've found to be the sweet spot. (As previously commented, it also mirrors the Nailbiter setup ratios.)
- If the tontine got down to 1 person, they would have left the game with an individual victory - this was an internal balancing mechanic since the tontine had scum, 3p, and town members.
- I truly think that, if not for today's quickhammer, scum would have gotten blown up. Probably not completely obliterated, but certainly a couple of people would have gone down thanks to a combination of cop results (albeit hilariously convolutedly correct) and downright good and correct casing. It was a very close thing that they were able to squeak out the perfect W today.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeah I think the setup was fine! We just didn't do so hot as town... I totally blame IS for everything

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
MMT why did you lasso poor Hal at the end? :(

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

quote:

- I truly think that, if not for today's quickhammer, scum would have gotten blown up. Probably not completely obliterated, but certainly a couple of people would have gone down thanks to a combination of cop results (albeit hilariously convolutedly correct) and downright good and correct casing. It was a very close thing that they were able to squeak out the perfect W today.

Pretty much - there was no small amount of panic in scumchat from the time we realized beet had stumbled into a correct snoop to the time we quickhammered. If any of us had stepped away, gg.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

sniper4625 posted:

MMT why did you lasso poor Hal at the end? :(

Because she knew how terrible I was as a bodyguard!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Setup was fine. More then fine, it was a shine game and spectacular as always.

We could have won if not for questionable play by most of us at one point or another.

Ice self destructing D1 didn't help.

People voting people in Lylo, when warned in advance about the possibility didn't help.

---

And looking at some of our actions from town this game. Heh. Like Sniper mentions there, we had a flipped SK, a scum kill, and a claimed Vig, but Hal was the ONLY claimed protection role. Why would you think he's a bad guy? :)

Didn't affect anything, but still, haha.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Whats a dethy

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Seriously though, that Arnold flavour is exquisite, Pod

I don't actually know who exactly Arnold is even going to get vengeance ON, but I can't say I really care hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hambeet posted:

Whats a dethy

https://www.samafia.net/wiki/Dethy

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Dethy

TL;DR: An open setup that has 4 cops of varying sanities and a single Mafia goon. It's a sort of logic puzzle and a solved game ultimately, but I find the concept really fun.

• Locked thread