Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
if there’s still room, i’ll do the thing.

edit: i put my faith in the heart of the cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Wow rude! trying to turn my good friend podima against me and stop me from playing the newest installment of "the highest quality games on SA"

I thought you were enjoying Skype mafia with your new off-forum friends!!!!!!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Confirming.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Max posted:

Anyway, I just want you all to know I have my DOCtorate in COmPrehensive studies of aTRACtion between VIGorously metal states. I'm looking forward to lecturing you all about it over the campfire.

is this a breadcrumb?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Yeah, same here. Also not seeing anything suheywait a second...

:thunk:

Woah

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Max posted:

This is bad.

It’s dumb but idk how it’s bad, unless i am not understanding what you mean by bad

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

Spell it out for me, because I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Unless you're talking about the recent murder which yes was very suspicious.

hmm.

hambeet posted:

I think he means the opposite of good.. ungood if you will.

thanks

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

I stand with Asiina

Are you saying TMM is worth a vote, then?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

got enough reasons there, bud?

I like Asiina sussing this out and might vote TMM later, but if it turns out to be wrong this is where I'd look first for scum trying to get things rolling.

##vote bif

This reads to me as you determining whether or not to bandwagon, and deciding you might join the bandwagon later. Additionally, it’s weird to phrase it as Asiina “sussing out” when she’s made it clear the case is worth a vote. Additionally, setting up your basically-a-chain-Lynch is an intense hedge. I come away from this post having no idea what you think about TMM.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

It reads to me as a scum saying “I might join this case, but only later, to make it clear that if it’s a mislynch it was NOT my fault!”

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Well I suppose if bif is scum she already knows it would be a mislynch, which only makes the hedge more calculating.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'd do anything for Asiina.

Except vote, typing the formatting stuff is just a little more than I want to deal with at the moment

🤔

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

yeah well you read bad :colbert:

I think Asiina sounds like she's "sussing out" what she thinks of TMM, which implies that despite being sure she wants to vote him, she does not in fact actually know his alignment. This looks townie of her, regardless of whether it ends up right or wrong.

Okay, so your definition of sussing someone out is just casing them? Casing someone while not... being too sure, as to imply they might already know someone's alignment? This is something that you can say but I don't really see how this is distinguishable from "I like Asiina's case and might vote later." In which case your immediate hedge is still very very bad.

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm not convinced yet that it's worth a vote yet myself. While I see why TMM reads as weird to her, I also find it a bit unlikely that a scum would come out swinging that fast with such blatant gambler's fallacy nonsense to make themselves look that silly. If nothing else comes up though, it'd certainly be good enough for D1.

Even this is hedgey. You don't say anything about why TMM is scum in this post! You just say you understand why Asiina thinks he's scum. Why is it worth a vote if your only thoughts about him are that he's unlikely to be scum?

Bifauxnen posted:

And if that is what happens, and it turns out TMM is town, I think that vote of IP's does sound a bit overwrought, like scum trying to get a bandwagom rolling. The "chain lunch" you are assuming for me would depend on a lot of factors between now and then: the TMM lunch happening, him being town, IP not sounding any townier by then, nothing else grabbing me more by then, etc. I would certainly want to NOT pursue this further if he comes up scum.

But nice try.

oh and you just keep on going for a few more posts, don't you.

yeah this is bad.

##vote BK

Sounds like something we can bring up tomorrow, not today. Which is the whole reason chain lynches are bad: because at best it's fake content that doesn't matter when you don't know what the D1/N1 flips are. At worst, it's you setting up something pretty sinister as scum. I understand it's only a pseudo-chain lynch because you're not saying "we should execute X if Y flips town" but it's very much still in that territory in a bad way, imo!

I get that your whole thing is to be really combative but I'm not trying to be all "oh you just keep going don't you!" to you, just say who I think is scum. I find the extra posturing of "nice try" and "yeah this is bad" to read as scum upset that they just got nailed. I'm very comfortable with my vote.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't see what's hard to follow

BK wants to know what I thought about TMM, now I have told him. I like Asiina's effort to case him, but don't agree with the case yet. IP's vote sounds a bit much, like he's trying to overexplain why he's joining in. But hey, for all I know IP just agrees with Asiina in a legit way, and TMM could even be scum. So I sure don't feel like voting IP yet either.

But if TMM got lunched off this and flipped town, that IP post would be where I start looking back. Not "IP is definite scum now, chain lunch time", it is something I would want to remember to look back at and assess to see if he looks the scummiest out of whoever voted him. A lot of other more substantial things could come up by the end of D1 too, that might take precedence!

So when I said "this is where I'd look first for scum" I meant precisely and exactly what I actually said. It is a note to self, or for others to notice on their rereads if I am gone on D2.

I legitimately still don't know what you think of TMM! It sounds like you have a pretty towny read on him but would still be comfortable voting for him if it came to that?? like, you say you find him unlikely to be scum, but you find asiina towny because you find her case genuine. so then... maybe both of them could be town? but still, the TMM vote is "good enough" for D1?? I just don't get it!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

It’s pure semantics but “sussing out” really isn’t “placing a vote and making an absolute claim”, sussing out is like, asking probing questions or making statements and seeing how they react.

Asiina has travelled past “sussing out”.

fwiw this is exactly how i originally parsed sussing out, before bif accused me of not properly parsing it

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Pretty much, I got the impression Asiina was playing the exact same type of town play I've seen her do in several games recently. She's working things out and actively pressing on things, and the fact that I described this townie casing behaviour as "sussing out" and that word choice is somehow perceived as scummy kind of irks me.

Hmm. Did I call you scummy solely for your word choice or did I call you scummy because your word choice indicated a mischaracterization of what Asiina had actually done up to that point? Asphyxious says it well

Asphyxious posted:

It’s pure semantics but “sussing out” really isn’t “placing a vote and making an absolute claim”, sussing out is like, asking probing questions or making statements and seeing how they react.

Asiina has travelled past “sussing out”.

Bif, if this really just is semantics and that's all you meant, that's fine, in which case the hedging is still bad!

Bifauxnen posted:

The part that's distinguishable is I don't agree with her case as it stands, but I like her making the case. If there was absolutely nothing else better than this case of Asiina's going by the time D1 ended, I wouldn't mind supporting it.

Okay... hmm. I find "I like Asiina sussing this out and might vote TMM later" and "I don't agree with her case as it stands, but I like her making the case. If there was absolutely nothing else better than this case of Asiina's going by the time D1 ended, I wouldn't mind supporting it" to be quite different characterizations of what you think about Asiina's case on TMM. The first statement sounds like you like the case and might vote, the second statement sounds like you don't like the case and will only vote as a last resort. I feel quite comfortable with my vote.

Bifauxnen posted:

you just described it perfectly so why are you acting so loving confused

Because your original statement does not align with your new one!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

All I can really say to the "reverse-engineered" claim is that... no I didn't? I saw bif's post and it really pinged me as scummy and worth a vote. Didn't like her responses, so I'm still voting her.

Asiina posted:

Also can we agree that chain-lynches are not actually scummy because like there's no reason that they are. Looking at someone's post and going "if this happens, I'm going to be suspicious of you" is a totally normal and town thing to say. Especially because if you're town there's always a chance you die at night, so why not put your opinions out there now. It's not like you're locking yourself into a vote by saying that. That never actually happens.

No, chain lynches are scummy because they're fake content. You can just say that tomorrow. Feeling the need to pressure someone and go "WELL, IF THIS HAPPENS, I'M WATCHING YOU!!" is not normal and town, because you don't have any of that info yet. It's a false hypothetical and I think it's both bad and scummy to pretend like "this bandwagon I am considering jumping on is where we should look for scum tomorrow" is good town content.

I guess I could see your point that chain lynches don't HAVE to be scummy? But I definitely think I'm saying "this is fake content" and giving the warrants for why I think it's scummy, I'm not just saying "X is scummy!"

hambeet posted:

people abuse the term like people used to abuse omgus.

I agree with this. omgus is a stupid thing.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

I "turned it into" a discussion about semantics because BK literally called it weird for me to have used the words I did. I'll be looking forward to seeing his reaction to Asiina herself calling my description of her accurate.

BK didn't just drop a vote. He called my post "setting up your basically-a-chain-Lynch". He is pushing a whole lot of projected meaning into me going "hmm, I gotta remember this thing here just in case"

Oh, at this point I think we had a genuine misunderstanding about the term "sussing out." I just think you changing your characterization of Asiina's case over the course of your posting makes you scummy, as I have made clear.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

sometimes I think Mafia isn't really about casing, it's about letting out all your aggression into punishing people for not interpreting reality the way you do

:ironicat:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

SolusLunes posted:

The 'chain lynch' is a wild misinterpretation of what bif has said. (incidentally, I've always read 'sussing out' as 'coming to a conclusion due to a collection of facts and gut reads')

Could you please explain why you think

Bifauxnen posted:

got enough reasons there, bud?

I like Asiina sussing this out and might vote TMM later, but if it turns out to be wrong this is where I'd look first for scum trying to get things rolling.

is not in any way basically a chain lynch?

like, literally my point here is her saying "I like this and I might vote for TMM, but if TMM is town, this vote is where the scum are!" It's fake. And then she retreated to saying she doesn't agree with the case at all.

I would prefer you say how I misinterpreted instead of just asserting that I did.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

wait, so you think it's better to wait till tomorrow to pressure anyone? Why not do it now and see if anything happens?

And you seem to be getting your bandwagons confused. You say I was considering jumping on the TMM bandwagon, but IP is the one I was saying sounded scummy and should maybe look at tomorrow. And no one was even talking about IP before I popped in to comment on that post of his.

I'm saying once you have the information you want, then you can use said information to case!

Bifauxnen posted:

you can't even tell when I am literally writing a post ABOUT myself god

At this point, your aggressive posting has made me pretty annoyed and I'm ok with taking a cheap snipe

Bifauxnen posted:

"Yeah, this bandwagon that does not even exist, with zero votes for a person no one is talking about, that is who I am considering jumping on!!"

you were so keen to jump in to be so confident off of one post of mine, but you can't even remember who the hell you're talking about when you talk about my actual positions.

What?? We're talking about the TMM votes, which I believe there were 2 of at the time, plus Hal saying he would vote for him? And you went from saying you liked the case and might vote to saying you didn't agree with the case and would only vote as a last resort. A pretty big moving goalpost.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

I side with BK over Bif in that exchange. I think its possible Bif is scum this game. But I don't feel strongly enough about it to warrant a D1 vote. I'd hate to lose her early if she's town.

So you side with me over her, but wouldn't want to lose her if she happened to be town.

King Burgundy posted:

Hmmm, ok, so we have to consolidate. I don't like the BK vote, but I don't feel strongly enough to not vote there. Would vote. That flip will help solidify other alignment reads. Still like my Solus vote. Would vote other lurkery people with ease.

Won't vote today: Bif, TMM, Asiina.

Would consider cases on others.

But then say you'd vote for me while you wouldn't vote for bif?

I'm confused.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

I said I liked Asiina making the case, and might vote, but did not vote.

And you just now said:

I said, that if TMM was lunched and flips town, we should look at IP as scummy tomorrow.

So were you talking about TMM? if TMM is dead town tomorrow I should look at TMM for scum?

Or were you talking about IP? And saying that I was considering jumping on the IP bandwagon which did not exist?

You are conflating the two.

"If TMM was lunched and flips town" = the bandwagon. The bandwagon that killed a townie player, TMM, is then where you should look for scum tomorrow, according to you. You are literally still misinterpreting my posting.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

If I have this right: BK says Bif supported Asiina's case (only to later retreat and recant under pressure) and was calling for suspicion on any TMM voters for a future chainlynch, while Bif is claiming that she was supporting Asiina making a case and was specifically calling out IP for specious reasoning on the lynch. Then uh you both started yelling at each other and things devolved. Correct?

My third point is that bif super hedged on asiina's tmm case, which she then had to nail down her opinions about later (in a way I find inconsistent with what she had previously said about asiina's case)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

not just any TMM voters. I thought IP's vote on particular sounded like it could be the kind of post a scum would make when they want to get the bandwagon moving, but felt a need to awkwardly overexplain their action with jokes.

But Asiina seemed very sincere in her own casing of TMM. It wasn't necessarily bad to want to join her. It called for more poking.

my head is exploding because this actually makes sense. i know as i'm typing this that you're going to say "But i already explained it exactly this way!!" and maybe you did and i just didnt piece it together, but (specifically the bolded part) makes a lot of sense and actually makes me feel a lot better about you

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

##unvote

Just read back through some posts and I think I got really caught up on the distinction between "I like the case" and "I don't agree with the case" because that just didn't make any sense to me. Bif tying it up like that makes a lot more sense on that particular point.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Solus is really the only other person I've thought was particularly scummy today ##vote solus

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

##vote IP

would be better imo

I'll vote IP if that's what it comes down to near deadline, but that frustration post is one I read as genuine.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

OK before I delve into other stuff I'm going to go ahead and ##vote SolusLunes because these are not the posts of someone engaged in trying to hunt scum. Like he's not making any effort to sell people on cases, his posts read like someone who is putting opinions out there because he knows he has to.

:agreed:

Asiina posted:

I'm honestly still feeling BK because what was scummy to me wasn't his confusion with Bif, but the fact that it looked like he'd decided she was scum and everything she did was scum, and that one thing doesn't change that for me.

I’m not going to case/vote for someone who I do not think is scum, Asiina.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

- the reason that people aren't looking at IS with more suspicion is that he has a scumteam helping him out

Do you have any examples? Because I’m not really feeling IP or IS for scum and this is the part of your post that pokes out to me the most

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I feel worse about IP at this point. ##vote IP

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Max posted:

Was it his most recent post that made you feel that way, BK?

Yeah, the realization that the lurking was intentional.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Interesting

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Sorry, was on the phone with my dad.

I’m a watcher (busybody) and was watching TMM, so this parrot thing is very confusing to me! Nobody visited TMM. But I don’t even begin to have the requisite information to explain this

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I think it’s fine to vote for me, I mean I probably would too in this circumstance, but I think it would be kinda stupid to turbo me? Like, sure, go ahead and execute me but not using the day for discussion and info seems like a mistake vOv

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

SolusLunes posted:

Did your ability require Shine? If it didn't, did you have an ability that required it? (and what did that do)

No, and I don't have a shine role.

SolusLunes posted:

Also did you pick your role name from this, you horrible scum person you?

No? lol

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

I reread Asiina to see who she was looking at, the only people she really thought were scum were BK and KB.

In my experience KB wouldn’t have picked a) someone suspicious of him and b) someone actively contributing so it’s a closed loop, unfortunately.

you could probably say the same of me, if you were used to playing games with me, so I think I'd file this under wifom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Hey BK, why did you decide to watch me on N1?

There was a lot of discussion around you D1 and I figured you'd be a likely target for lots of potential things, including the kill. In my head it was between you and Max, and I ended up choosing you because I thought killing Max N1 would be a little rough.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I mean I get he was on the phone with his dad, but if you can post “interesting” you can post “interesting I watched TMM last night” just as easily

Maybe he worked out the fake claim with his dad!

I literally checked the thread while I was on the phone with my dad, so I posted that and then was like "welp guess i'll compartmentalize THAT happening"

but you're right, I really should've had the foresight to see how my brief absence would be thought as a scumbud deliberation session

• Locked thread