Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

One day, a simple man by the name of Iskra Miloslovsky brewed up a very special batch of moonshine - known simply as Shine - that changed the world forever. Much to his surprise, those who drank his creation gained extraordinary abilities - well beyond their wildest dreams! To most, Shine was just an urban legend, and Prohibition was just the Man trying to keep the common people from their alcohol. But anytime a new power rises, so too do those who would take it for themselves...

What Came Before:
Shine I: New York City
Shine II: The Chicago Outfit
Shine III: Spirits of New Orleans
Shine IV: Murder on the Sunset Limited
Shine V: How the Southwest Was Won

In the wake of the first great Shine-fueled war that caught the world unprepared, things settled into a curious sort of dťtente. The great world powers had seen what Shine could do on the battlefield for the first time, and each nation's finest minds frantically considered how to turn its unpredictable might to their advantage. But in the meantime, life moved on.

Those who lived in the new nation of Nuevo Villa - New Home - found that life proceeded much like it had before. Sure, the taxmen spoke more Spanish than English, but all in all things hadn't changed much on the wild western frontier. That all changed when the stories began to spread - thanks to the power of Shine, people were finding untapped veins of gold out West! For those who felt the stirrings of curiosity - the desire to break away from their previous lives and seek fortune out West in a newly-conquered country, that was all the inspiration needed.

The second California Gold Rush has begun, fueled by the unpredictable whimsy of Shine.

Shine VI: Fool's Gold is a flavorful closed-setup game of Mafia for 16 players.

General Rules:
  • Standard Mafia Rules are in effect for this game. Don't be a dick. Specific addendums follow.
    • Twilight posting after the hammer is acceptable, but please stop posting when day-ending mod posts begin.
    • Please play to your win condition!
    • No PM comparing shenanigans - format, capital letters, whatever.
    • Seriously, don't be a dick. I will nudge you via PM if I feel you're going beyond the pale.
  • In general, no replacements will be allowed beyond Day 1 - please don't sign up if you aren't going to put actual effort into this game and see it through to the end.
    • I understand that Life Happens sometimes - in extreme cases please PM me and we'll take it from there.
  • Days will be ~48-60 hours (but will grow shorter as the game goes on) and Nights will be ~12-24 hours. Nights will be closed but I'll reopen the thread promptly.
  • Podima's Anti-Lurking Rules v3.3 will be in effect for this game. Don't sign up if you're going to skim the edges of these rules, please - 10 posts should mean 10 substantial posts, not 10 content-less shitposts.

General Shine Game Rules:
  • Each player may have a normal Role, a Shine Role, or both.
  • Shine Roles require Shine to use. You may or may not start with Shine.
  • Shine cannot be traded between players. Hoard your booze!
  • Flips will be in the format of "Player Name", aka "Character Name", "Alignment"-Aligned "Normal Role" {"Shine Role"}, "Flavor".

:siren: Shine VI Special Rules: :siren:
  • This is a much smaller Shine game than previous, and I know a lot of people will want to play. Sorry, I don't have room for everyone!
  • The first five slots will be filled by those quick on the draw. The remaining 11 slots will be RNGed from among those who sign up before I close signups.
  • That means even if the game looks full, feel free to sign up if you want to play!

Player List:
  1. Asiina
  2. Asphyxious
  3. Bifauxnen
  4. BottleKnight
  5. Hal Incandenza
  6. hambeet
  7. IcePhoenix
  8. IllegallySober
  9. King Burgundy
  10. Max
  11. Mr. Humalong / Xad
  12. Murmur Twin
  13. sniper4625
  14. Social Studies 3rd Period
  15. SolusLunes
  16. TMMadman

Replacements (* means unconfirmed):
1. Toalpaz
2. Xad

3. Kashuno*
4. Tommunist*
5. Anomalous Amalgam*
6. GenericGirlName
7. imgay*
8. Lumpen*
9. Natural 20*

Podima fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:rip: Deaths: :rip:
Night 0: Izzhov, aka Lyda McArthur, Migrant-Aligned Brewer {Lie Detector}, was shot on Night 0!
Day 1: IcePhoenix, aka Regina Ferrara, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was executed on Day 1!
Night 1: Asiina, aka Werner Tennyson, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snitch}, was shot dead on Night 1!
Day 2: BottleKnight, aka Zoe McNeil, Self-Aligned Serial Killer {Disorienter}, was executed on Day 2!
Night 2: SolusLunes, aka Hyacinthe Easton, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Investigator}, was shot dead on Night 2!
Day 3: Social Studies 3rd Period, aka Agnes Paget, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Gossip}, was executed on Day 3!
Night 3: IllegallySober, aka Ronald Elliot, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Tinker}, was shot dead on Night 3! / Max, aka Alfred Van Hout, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was shot dead on Night 3!

Podima fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 10, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Max posted:

He is clearly going to post another thread shortly after and declare this thread false.

I considered doing that but eh, I'll own it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Plz PM forums mod to rename thread lol it's killing me

Dude you think itís bad, Iím refreshing the forums every few minutes over here! I PMed FactsAreUseless last night, Iím sure itíll be fixed before too long.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'll only play if you make me scum, not a joke, i will 100% replace out if im not scum, and then also that will mess up the game because that player will be confirmed not scum

:thunk:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Thanks Palpek for sorting the thread title out! :)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

In just under the wire! Signups are closed, RNGing now. Stand by!

:beerpal:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:cheers: Signups closed, and the dark powers of RNG have spoken! :cheers:

Player List:
  1. Asiina
  2. Asphyxious
  3. Bifauxnen
  4. BottleKnight
  5. Hal Incandenza
  6. hambeet
  7. IcePhoenix
  8. IllegallySober
  9. King Burgundy
  10. Max
  11. Mr. Humalong
  12. Murmur Twin
  13. sniper4625
  14. Social Studies 3rd Period
  15. SolusLunes
  16. TMMadman

PMs will be going out soon. All players (and observers), please join this Discord - game will begin once everyone is in and PMs have been sent: https://discord.gg/krqW3kD
(You should only be able to see a single #arrival channel with just me on the members list - if anyone sees something different, please alert me immediately.)

Everyone who signed up and did not get in is on the Replacements list - please confirm via PM to me if you want to stay a replacement or if you want to just observe.

Replacements (* means unconfirmed):
1. Toalpaz*
2. Xad*
3. Kashuno*
4. Tommunist*
5. CapitalistPig*
6. Anomalous Amalgam*
7. GenericGirlName*
8. imgay*
9. Lumpen*
10. GeneX*
11. Natural 20*

Thanks to everyone who signed up!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5_57PF7HwM

quote:

Got a dream, boy,
Got a song!
Paint your wagon,
And come along!

The United States were a shell of their former self, cut almost cleanly in twain by Pancho Villa's conquest of the West, and the subsequent creation of the new nation Nuevo Villa. While relations between the two neighboring powers were frosty at first, Villa seemed genuinely interested in forging a strong relationship with the country he had just torn in half. Thus, lines of communication between Nuevo Villa and the United States stayed quite robust - even if most other modern methods of travel (railroads included) were undergoing fairly severe interruptions. Anyone who wanted to travel across the continent was limited to fairly basic methods... such as the simple covered wagon.

quote:

Where are we goin'?
I don't know!
When will we be there?
I ain't certain!

The rumors spread quickly across what remained of the United States - and a welcome distraction it was, from the realities of what war had wrought. Gold had been found in what was once California (they were still sorting the whole naming thing out, so the old names of places largely held sway for now), and adventure-seekers began to look west with great interest. Taking advantage of the situation, Pancho Villa made an official proclamation that any who wished to seek their fortune in his new nation were more than welcome - and quite a few people took him up on his offer, as multiple wagon trains began to make their way west.

quote:

What will we get?
I ain't equipped to say!
But who gives a drat?
Who gives a drat?
We're on our way!

One such wagon train began its journey west, full of migrants from all walks of life. While they had no clue what sort of adventures lay ahead of them, one thing was for certain... Shine would make it an interesting adventure.

At least, for all but one of them.

:rip: Izzhov, aka Lyda McArthur, Migrant-Aligned Brewer {Lie Detector}, was shot dead on Night 0! :rip:
While inspecting their possessions, you find a torn scrap of paper covered in curious scribbles. It is passed up and down the wagon train and carefully inspected, but nobody seems to know anything about what it could mean.

Despite the cheerful start to the journey, things have quickly grown tense. Distant as you already are from Eastern civilization, this murder could only have been committed by someone from your group. Your only option is apparent - find the murderers, and leave them hanging from a tree as you press westward. Otherwise... your journey might come to a rather abrupt end.

:cheers: Day 1 starts now. Deadline is Tuesday 02-OCT-2018 at 8:00 PM EDT. :cheers:

The wagon train is moving at a steady pace. Today's execution method is Simple Majority.

Podima fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 4, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

Mr. Humalong (1): Max
King Burgundy (1): TMMadman
Max (1): Asiina
TMMadman (1): Murmur Twin
Murmur Twin (1): Bifauxnen
Bifauxnen (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (11): Asphyxious, BottleKnight, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, IcePhoenix, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Mr. Humalong, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, SolusLunes :rubshands:

With 16 people still alive, it takes 9 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 02nd, 2018 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 4 hours.

The wagon train is moving at a steady pace. Today's execution method is Simple Majority.

The story thus far...

After the complete rout of the Texas State Guard by Pancho Villa, backed by Canadian support both diplomatic and material, the United States government has tacitly (under heavy pressure) accepted its lack of sovereign control over a large chunk of the West. While it still nominally considers what is now known as "Nuevo Villa" (the land spanning west from Texas to the Rocky Mountains and north to halfway through Montana) to be its legally-owned territory, the reality is that control is clearly in the hands of Pancho and his Villistas. While the United States still has access to the Western states via the northern half of Montana (serving as a buffer between Nuevo Villa and Canada), this sole remaining access' vulnerability to its northern and southern neighbors is all too apparent.

These days, Nuevo Villa has settled into a curious balance of tensions - the national governments bluster at each other on the world's stage, but locally the Villistas have settled into producing as much Shine as they can and preparing for the inevitable assault - from whatever direction it may come. The American army slowly masses at the border, under the guise of "military drills." Before too long, they may be ready to retake what was once theirs. The Mexicans loudly claim that Pancho was their man acting under orders, something he has always been quick to firmly deny. They, too, taste weakness - and an opportunity to broaden their grasp upon the North now that the local revolutions have died down. And of course, Villa's erstwhile (and altogether surprising) Canadian allies are all too happy to offer him their continued support and defense - but they, too, have greater aspirations in mind.

And as for the world at large, with every nation's thirsty gaze squarely fixed upon the United States and Nuevo Villa as the sole holders of the secrets for Shine's production? That, my friend, is a story for another time...

Podima fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 1, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:cheers: The following people are still under 10 posts for the day: IllegallySober, Murmur Twin, Social Studies 3rd Period, SolusLunes. I believe in you! :cheers:

BottleKnight (3): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina
Bifauxnen (2): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman
TMMadman (2): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina
IcePhoenix (1): Max
hambeet (0): SolusLunes, SolusLunes
Mr. Humalong (0): Max, Max
King Burgundy (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Max (0): Asiina, Asiina
Murmur Twin (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (8): Asphyxious, hambeet, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Mr. Humalong, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, SolusLunes :rubshands:

The current deadline is October 02nd, 2018 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 5 hours, 30 minutes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:cheers: Given in retrospect that this was a relatively short Day 1 deadline by my standards (sub-48 hours) and there are multiple concurrent games running, I'm considering extending the day by 24 hours. If you have a strong opinion about this, PM me via forums or Discord ASAP. I will not take thread discussion into account. Thank you! :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:sludgepal: Apologies, but one last interruption. It has come to my attention that the language I used for today's execution method was unintentionally misleading. It is Standard Majority (e.g. must have a majority of votes as described in Votefinder, or the day will end without an execution). :sludgepal:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:cheers: Deadline extended by 2 hours to 10 PM EDT, making Day 1 an even 48 hours. Thank you for your patience and flexibility with the interruptions this afternoon. :cheers:

BottleKnight (4): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina, SolusLunes
Bifauxnen (2): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman
TMMadman (2): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina
SolusLunes (1): King Burgundy
IcePhoenix (1): Max

Not Voting (6): Asphyxious, hambeet, IllegallySober, Mr. Humalong, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period :rubshands:

The current deadline is October 02nd, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 5 hours.

The wagon train is moving at a steady pace. Today's execution method is Standard Majority.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

IllegallySober (4): Murmur Twin, hambeet, King Burgundy, Hal Incandenza
IcePhoenix (4): Max, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Asiina
BottleKnight (1): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina, SolusLunes, Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina
SolusLunes (1): King Burgundy, BottleKnight, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, King Burgundy
Bifauxnen (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman, BottleKnight
TMMadman (0): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza

Not Voting (5): IcePhoenix, IllegallySober, Mr. Humalong, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period :rubshands:

The current deadline is October 02nd, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour.

The wagon train is moving at a steady pace. Today's execution method is Standard Majority.

What about the rest of the world, you ask? That's where things get a little more complicated, if you can believe it.

Sure, the World War happened. Plenty of us lived through it - though certainly not everyone. That was before the time of Shine, you see - and once the world realized what Americans had at their fingertips, they changed their tune pretty fast. Sure, there were little spats round the world that didn't concern us much - German saber-rattlin', Italian trumped-up propaganda, Russian threats every which way, and British showboatin'. But ultimately it all came to nothin' major - sorta half-hearted altogether. I'll tell you what, though... once word got out that American soldiers had shot down some Japanese planes trying to bomb a naval port in Hawaii - no, not with bullets neither. With thunderbolts and fireballs! That changed the tone of things mighty quick, as far as everyone who wasn't America was concerned.

Not much later, the United Nations was founded - but there wasn't much to it beyond the name. All about global cooperation and making a better life for everyone the world over, and comin' down hard on those who would take advantage of their neighbors. Sounds pretty good, right? Problem is, it was darned obvious to everyone who took a second glance - there were plenty of nations united alright... united against America, that is. But so far, ain't nobody made a move - just barbed words over polished wood tables. Better than bullets and bombs - or ice and chokin' poison fog! But that ain't gonna hold for long, if you ask me. The world sees America's Shine - and Nuevo Villa's too, now - and they're mighty thirsty.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:redhammer: IcePhoenix is hammered, and may no longer post. It is now twilight, and others' posting can continue until I start posting end-of-day stuff - at which point, please stop posting. Thank you! :redhammer:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:beerpal: Final Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

IcePhoenix (9): Max, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Asiina, BottleKnight, sniper4625, IllegallySober, Mr. Humalong, Murmur Twin
IllegallySober (3): Murmur Twin, hambeet, King Burgundy, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin
BottleKnight (1): Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina, SolusLunes, Bifauxnen, Murmur Twin, Asiina
Bifauxnen (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, BottleKnight, TMMadman, BottleKnight
Asphyxious (1): IcePhoenix
SolusLunes (0): King Burgundy, BottleKnight, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, King Burgundy, BottleKnight
TMMadman (0): Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza, Murmur Twin, Asiina, IcePhoenix, Hal Incandenza

Not Voting (1): Social Studies 3rd Period :rubshands:

With 16 people still alive, it took 9 votes to execute.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:cheers: As a clarification, conversations during twilight can continue on whatever topics you like - game-related or not. The only restriction is that whoever is hammered cannot post. :cheers:

Final Post Counts for Day 1:

:cheers: Everyone made at least 10 posts today! :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

As the wagon train's shadows stretch ever-longer before the sun's fading glow, the lowing of exhausted oxen signal an end to the day's travel. It hasn't been what anyone would call a quiet start to the journey - in the hours elapsed since the discovery that a murderer was hiding within their numbers, suspicion followed in their wake to consume all present. With accusations and recriminations flung to and fro, the wagon train rumbled to a staggered stop.

Before anything else - making camp, cooking dinner, watering the animals - everyone silently agreed on one crucial thing: it was time to take out the trash. If the migrants didn't do something (anything!) to try and stop the killer that had already struck once, they were just asking to have their journey cut all too fatally short.

A convenient tree stood nearby, and the conscientous travellers had packed plenty of rope. The unlucky target of the day's suspicions struggled and shouted, before eventually lapsing into a mixture of angry silence and hurled insults at the gathered crowd. Those with sensitive constitutions or young children covered eyes and ears as appropriate as the noose finally tightened...

quote:

One of your earliest memories is your mother's milk. Is that weird? That's definitely weird. The thing is, as far back as you can remember, you've always been in love with food - of all types. Every delectable flavor you can think of resonates with you - you've eaten your way through every cookery in town, and then some. But no matter what, you were never sated. It always felt like there was something more waiting for you on the horizon - and even when you resorted to Shine, it only got worse. Now it wasn't just the taste of food you craved - it was the taste of everyone's thoughts swirling around you!

:rip: IcePhoenix, aka Regina Ferrara, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was executed on Day 1! :rip:
While inspecting their possessions, you find another a torn scrap of paper covered in curious scribbles that resemble the one you found on the previous victim. Though everyone squints at it in turn with furrowed brows, regrettably not a single soul can make heads or tails of it.

Decision Time!

As you start your journey, you have an immediate decision to make - will the wagon train:

A. Take the Long Way North, sticking to American territory while passing through the narrow strip of Montana still uncontested by Nuevo Villa and Canada - but under both of their watchful gaze.

B. Risk Striking Out West, heading straight through the newly-conquered and sparsely-populated western badlands that now fall under the Villistas' control - tenuous though that might be.

:siren: Please send me a vote for A or B along with any action (or lack thereof) you take tonight! Your specific vote will remain secret, but the result will be revealed at the start of the next day. :siren:

With thoughts of what may lie ahead on the rest of their journey running through their heads, everyone sets up camp and prepares themselves for whatever may come next...

:cheers: Night 1 starts now. You have until 9:00 PM EDT, Wednesday 03-OCT-2018 for night actions (and your vote) - please let me know if you are specifically not taking an action. :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

A new day dawns, the gentle sunlight washing over the covered wagons and rousing their inhabitants from their bedrolls of dubious provenance. Once they had finally drifted off to sleep the previous night, they slept deeply - exhausted from the first day's events. Unfortunately, that just meant they paid immediate dividends on the comfort (or lack thereof) of their sleeping accommodations - so different from the homes they had left behind, perhaps forever. Muttering and grumbling amongst themselves, the usual morning rituals of breakfast and preparing for the day's travels commenced.

Some time later, the sun had crept high enough in the sky to cast long shadows westward - as if drawing the travelers onward to their ultimate destination. As everyone prepared to leave, one particular busybody took note that someone seemed to be having a lie-in. Thumping a calloused fist against the late-riser's wagon, they were greeted with an irritated squawk... but not one that sounded particularly human at all. Lifting a corner of the wagon's canvas covering, they were greeted with a terrible sight...

quote:

You're not sure where you would be today if not for your best friend. They've always had your back when times got tough - keeping you afloat in the nastiest storms. When your parents passed away, they were there for you with a quick joke to lighten your heart where nobody else could. When your career crumbled beneath you thanks to your idiot boss' gross mis-management, they kept you from jumping off a bridge by reminding you that there was always a new tomorrow. And when you decided to leave everything else behind and set out West, they stayed by your side and encouraged you to follow your heart without a second thought otherwise.

...Sure, your best friend might be a parrot. So what?

:rip: Asiina, aka Werner Tennyson, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snitch}, was shot dead on Night 1! :rip:

But if they were stone cold dead... what had squawked like that just a moment ago? A moment's search revealed the truth - a half-hidden birdcage engraved with the name "ZARA," revealing what seemed to be a rather ill-tempered parrot. Noticing the sudden attention of those who had been inspecting the already-stiff corpse, the bird inhaled a massive breath before letting out an ear-piercing shrieking tirade that nobody awake could help but hear.

:parrot:
The following people visited Asiina last night:
BOTTLEKNIGHT

:parrot:

As a hush settled in the wake of that peculiar proclamation, one of the skinnier-looking migrants dug some earwax out of one ear with a gnarled fingernail and proposed an addition to the morning's victuals.

...As the wagon train got underway some time later, everyone agreed that the parrot had indeed been delicious.

:cheers: Day 2 starts now. Deadline is Friday 05-OCT-2018 at 10:00 PM EDT. :cheers:

The wagon train opts to Risk Striking Out West by majority vote.

One of the travelers remarks that they remember hearing about a small farming settlement in the direction you've chosen - perhaps they'll be willing to trade for supplies?

Today's execution method is Standard Majority. A 1-Shot bonus will be available at some point during the day.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:rubshands: Mr. Humalong is withdrawing due to unexpected work issues. Seeking a replacement promptly. :rubshands:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:guinness: Xad replaces Mr. Humalong. :guinness:

---

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 2 :beerpal:

BottleKnight (2): King Burgundy, Murmur Twin, SolusLunes, sniper4625, Murmur Twin, sniper4625
hambeet (1): Bifauxnen
Max (1): TMMadman

Not Voting (10): Asphyxious, BottleKnight, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, IllegallySober, Max, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, Xad :rubshands:

With 14 people still alive, it takes 8 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 05th, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 2 hours.

Today's execution method is Standard Majority. A 1-Shot bonus will be available at some point during the day.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

As the day draws on and the surroundings slowly become all the more desolate the further west the travelers go, they begin to wonder if the person who mentioned a farming settlement had fresh manure between their ears - how could anyone manage to keep one farm thriving this far from everything, let alone a full settlement? The oxen grumbled and lowed as they pulled the lead wagons over a rise... and the shouts of their drivers echoed back along the wagon train. The settlement was not too far up ahead!

Or what was left of it, in any case. Clearly ravaged by raiders not too long ago, scavengers had already taken care of most of the remains - in all senses of that word. Still, the group resolved to stop for a spell and water the oxen, while those who felt inspired (or bored) could go rifle through the wreckage. Still, it was a good-sized settlement before its end, making for quite a lot of ground to cover in any search - certainly far too much to do alone. But that's what traveling companions are for, after all... right?

Bonus Time!

For the rest of the day, all players, as a free action, may either:

##search for anything useful left behind by the ravages of banditry, scavengers, and plain old time.
OR
##assist <player> in their search, because you can't survive alone on this dangerous journey.

You may change your choice as often as you want during the day, but this is being manually tracked so please exercise common sense.

:cheers: The first player to ##search with three other people that ##assist them will receive a 1-Shot bonus! :cheers:

Podima fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 5, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Bonus Time Over!

Final Count
TMMadman: N/A
Social Studies 3rd Period: N/A
Murmur Twin: Max, hambeet, Asphyxious
sniper4625: N/A
Bifauxnen: N/A

A small group of searchers led by Murmur Twin come back, looking rather satisfied with what they've found. Noting that the shadows are starting to lengthen, the others who went out to search are quickly called back and the wagon train gets underway again.

---

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 2 :beerpal:

BottleKnight (3): King Burgundy, Murmur Twin, SolusLunes, sniper4625, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, Hal Incandenza
Asphyxious (1): Bifauxnen
hambeet (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Max (0): TMMadman, TMMadman

Not Voting (10): Asphyxious, BottleKnight, hambeet, IllegallySober, Max, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, TMMadman, Xad :rubshands:

With 14 people still alive, it takes 8 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 05th, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 21 hours, 45 minutes.

Today's execution method is Standard Majority.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:beerpal: Final Votecount for Day 2 :beerpal:

BottleKnight (8): King Burgundy, Murmur Twin, SolusLunes, sniper4625, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, Murmur Twin, Bifauxnen, TMMadman, SolusLunes, Max, Xad
hambeet (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Max (0): TMMadman, TMMadman
Asphyxious (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (6): Asphyxious, BottleKnight, IllegallySober, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, SolusLunes :rubshands:

With 14 people still alive, it took 8 votes to execute.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Final Post Counts for Day 2:

:nono: IllegallySober made less than 10 posts and is ON NOTICE! If they make less than 10 posts in a day again, they will be FREELY EXECUTABLE! :nono:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Leaving the raided settlement behind, the travelers pushed ever-westward. Despite the brief distraction that it had provided, the grim images of burnt-out farmsteads and bleached bones quickly faded in favor of something else far more pressing - the murders and their perpetrator. Who could be trusted, and who was a threat to life and limb?

Despite many sharp conversations and brewing suspicion, the decision for the day felt like a foregone conclusion from the general consensus of the travelers - all that was left was the perfunctory part of things. Even as it set, the blazing sun baked lips cracked-dry and stilled the travelers' tongues while they went about their work. A rope, a tree, and one final gasping breath...

quote:

You've always considered yourself to be a fairly goal-oriented gal. When it was time to leave home and see the world for yourself, you didn't mess around wondering what your parents would think - you just went off and did it! That was still easily one of the best decisions of your life - the things you saw would have been mindblowing to any ordinary person, and the journey was thrilling. But when you heard that your mother had passed suddenly and your father had taken ill, you didn't dither to and fro about the right thing to do - you just headed right back home to care for him! Frankly, you're thankful you did - it meant the world to him to have his daughter by his side as he slowly slipped away from a fulfilling life into the great beyond. But as you watched his body slowly cool, a deep yawning emptiness began to spread through your heart as you realized that, for some reason, you were left without a goal to pursue...

:rip: BottleKnight, aka Zoe McNeil, Self-Aligned Serial Killer {Disorienter}, was executed on Day 2! :rip:
A crumpled scrap of paper with now-familiar writing slips out of their hand. That makes three - but still nobody can make anything of the chickenscratch that covers its surface.

Decision Time!

The journey's route is approaching a wide river. While the water level seems to have subsided a bit from the heat, the rushing river is still high enough to force a decision. Will the wagon train:

A. Ford the River, saving time and energy that would be better spent on extending the day's travel?

B. Caulk the Wagons and Float, using valuable time and supplies to refit the wagons for the river crossing?

:siren: Please send me a vote for A or B along with any action (or lack thereof) you take tonight! Your specific vote will remain secret, but the result will be revealed at the start of the next day. :siren:

With thoughts of what may lie ahead on the rest of their journey running through their heads, everyone sets up camp and prepares themselves for whatever may come next...

:cheers: Night 2 starts now. You have until 9:00 AM EDT, Sunday 07-OCT-2018 for night actions (and your vote) - please let me know if you are specifically not taking an action. Apologies for the slightly extended night phase - I'm traveling and won't have access to a computer to process actions till Sunday! :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

The sun's harsh rays break over the horizon, jolting the travelers from an uneasy slumber. The journey west has already proven to be far more eventful than anyone could have wagered - and it's only barely begun. Sensing the beginnings of a pattern, one group of travelers took it upon themselves to check upon each wagon's riders while the others made breakfast and tended to the oxen. Efficient as it might have been, they were cheated of purpose when one wagon erupted in horrified cries before they could even begin their census...

quote:

You're so excited to see what's out West! Sure, Papa said that the journey might be a bit boring, but that's ok - you've got your little fairy friends to keep you occupied! There's Pippi, who's plenty tenderhearted, and Bippi, who's always jumping scared at every little thing. They're twins, you know! But you can't forget about Olly the responsible one, who does his best to keep that batty ole Wazza in line - and boy is that tough! They've been good companions this whole time... but recently the grownups were drinking something weird, and you just had to sneak a drink for yourself from Papa. Things went a bit swimmy for a moment, and you couldn't believe your eyes - your fairies flew off on their own, one by one, and brought back the most incredible stories of what they'd seen!

You know Papa wouldn't approve of you filching more sips from his flask, but it's too much fun to see what your friends can find out for you - and what kind of mischief you can get up to thanks to them!

:rip: SolusLunes, aka Hyacinthe Easton, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Investigator}, was shot dead on Night 2! :rip:

As others flocked to comfort the little girl's grieving parents, the grazing oxen gazed upon the sudden burst of activity with blank stares. One of them meditatively chewed a large mouthful of grass for a few moments before declaring to all assembled:

:pgi:
The following people visited TMMadman last night:
NOBODY

:pgi:

Someone hesitantly proposes eating the talking animal once again, but promptly gets scolded into meek submission - oxen are FAR more important than noisy parrots, after all. Eating oxen, what a ridiculous idea!

Amid the cries of mourning parents and gruff victual debates, the wagon train gets underway for another day of travel.

The wagon train opts to Ford the River by majority vote.

While fording the river goes as smoothly as can be expected, it leaves the oxen exhausted and the wagon wheels mud-clogged. Thus, the travelers are caught unprepared for what happens next...

"What happens when animals drink Shine?" A question generally left unanswered - until now, you suppose. Or at least, that's the best guess the travelers have for why the coyotes chasing their wagons are drooling searing fire/twice their normal size/covered in armored scales/sporting far too many teeth for comfort, depending on which particular specimen they pick out from the slavering horde. With everyone fatigued from the muddy river crossing, it's clear that distracting their pursuers will call for desperate measures...

:siren: Today's execution method is Plurality (the person with the most votes at the end of the day will be executed thrown to the coyotes). The game day will be much shorter than typical. :siren:

:staredog: Day 3 starts now. Deadline is Monday 08-OCT-2018 at 9:00 PM EDT. :staredog:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 3 :beerpal:

Not Voting (12): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Max, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, Social Studies 3rd Period, TMMadman, Xad :rubshands:

The current deadline is October 08th, 2018 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 3 hours.

:siren: Today's execution method is Plurality (the person with the most votes at the end of the day will be executed thrown to the coyotes). The game day will be much shorter than typical. :siren:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Social Studies 3rd Period (2): hambeet, Hal Incandenza
IllegallySober (1): Asphyxious
Murmur Twin (1): Social Studies 3rd Period

Not Voting (8): Bifauxnen, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Max, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, TMMadman, Xad :rubshands:

There are 12 people still alive. The person with the most votes at the end of the day will be executed.
The current deadline is October 08th, 2018 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in a bit more than 10 hours.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Social Studies 3rd Period (4): hambeet, Hal Incandenza, Asphyxious, sniper4625
sniper4625 (1): Social Studies 3rd Period
IllegallySober (0): Asphyxious, Asphyxious
Murmur Twin (0): Social Studies 3rd Period, Social Studies 3rd Period

Not Voting (7): Bifauxnen, IllegallySober, King Burgundy, Max, Murmur Twin, TMMadman, Xad :rubshands:

There are 12 people still alive. The person with the most votes at the end of the day will be executed.
The current deadline is October 08th, 2018 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 3 hours, 45 minutes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Social Studies 3rd Period (6): hambeet, Hal Incandenza, Asphyxious, sniper4625, IllegallySober, Xad

Not Voting (5): Bifauxnen, King Burgundy, Max, Murmur Twin, TMMadman :rubshands:

The current deadline is October 08th, 2018 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 45 minutes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:smugdog: Final Votecount for Day 3 :smugdog:

Social Studies 3rd Period (6): hambeet, Hal Incandenza, Asphyxious, sniper4625, IllegallySober, Xad

Not Voting (5): Bifauxnen, King Burgundy, Max, Murmur Twin, TMMadman :rubshands:

There were 12 people still alive. The person with the most votes at the end of the day was delicious.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Final Post Counts for Day 3:

:cheers: Everyone made at least 10 posts today! :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

It had been an exhausting chase - mud-caked beasts of burden goaded to near-collapse, their drivers doing all they could to stay ahead of the slavering pursuers while others clung to the back of each wagon and fired off the occasional shaky shot at any coyotes who gained ground on the migrants. But what caught everyone's attention that day, most of all, was the frenetic debate that gripped the otherwise-unoccupied travelers - wild claims coming to light from chapped-dry lips, gnarled fingers pointed in accusation, and Shine-glazed eyes staring down potential murderers. But they could discuss no longer - the oxen were tiring, and the beasts were closing in. As their hungry howls shivered across the lonesome plains, the travelers laid hands on one unfortunate soul and unceremoniously flung her from the wagons - hopefully she truly was one of the killers they had been hunting... and if not, still better her than them.

Her screams echoed in their ears for far longer than they would have expected, even after they left the grim tableau behind.

quote:

Life has always been a little bit lonely. No matter what you tried, it felt like you never could manage to get particularly close to anyone. Something about how you talk - how you think - just seemed to unconsciously warn others off. Well, you know what? You're not going to stand for that! If people don't want to talk to you - well, you'll just have to MAKE them!

Goodness - that sounded a bit ominous, didn't it? You're really not all that bad. Things just get so dreadfully boring without new people to talk to... at least Shine has a way of helping with that.

:rip: Social Studies 3rd Period, aka Agnes Paget, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Gossip}, was executed on Day 3! :rip:

Decision Time!

The migrants have put enough distance between themselves and their hungry pursuers that there's little danger of them catching up, but some supplies were lost in the frantic chase. Will the wagon train:

A. Stop to Hunt and Forage, replenishing their food stores despite the delay to their journey - and running the risk of attracting even more unwelcome attention?

B. Tighten Their Belts and Press On, enforcing strict rationing of the remaining supplies, despite mounting fatigue, to get through the dangerous area they've stumbled into?

:cheers: Night 3 starts now. You have until 8:00 PM EDT, Tuesday 09-OCT-2018 for night actions (and your vote) - please let me know if you are specifically not taking an action. :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

The contrast of this morning to the previous ones was almost shocking enough to take the travelers' breath away. After the dry heat of the last couple days' travel, they had opted to settle down by a partially-overgrown stream so the exhausted oxen could get some fresh water. As the sun rose to greet a new day, the sleepy migrants tumbled from their beds to realize that the wagons were shrouded in fog! Rising from the creek, it enveloped them in a chilly embrace. But that's not all that would send unexpected chills down their spines this morning...

quote:

Nothing is worth your time if it can't hold together properly, you've found. Even the most finely machined creations generally end up lacking staying power under your critical inspection. Certainly, you have high expectations - but what's the point if nobody can ever stand up to them? That's why you decided to take matters into your own hands, fueled by a few stiff drinks (at least one of which was Shine) - if others can't create the kind of artistry you're looking for, then you'll just have to do it yourself!

:rip: IllegallySober, aka Ronald Elliot, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Tinker}, was shot dead on Night 3! :rip:

Sad, really - how these tragic and violent deaths had almost become commonplace. As the shell-shocked travelers began to prepare a shallow grave, one of them swore as he tripped over a hefty chunk of deadwood - and then swore again when he realized that it wasn't wood after all!

quote:

Your parents always wanted you to be a doctor. "You'll never make anything out of yourself unless you stay in school and study hard!" "Why aren't you doing homework?" "Your teacher let us know your marks slipped by three points on the last exam, you're a disgrace to the family name!" Well, fine. You buckled down, studied your brain out, and made your way through the machine of education. At last, it was the night after your entrance exams for the finest medical school the States had to offer - and you had crushed them, for certain. To celebrate, you ordered a special drink of Shine - a rare luxury, for one as diligent as yourself - drank it down, took one look at the bartender, and vomited all over them.

Who knew that people looked so DISGUSTING on the inside? How could anyone ever want to be a doctor, forced to work with that horrible mass of.... squirming things, day in and day out?! The very thought was revolting! That very night, you packed your bags and departed without bidding your parents farewell - they would understand someday. But as for you - it's time to strike out on your own, for the first time.

:rip: Max, aka Alfred Van Hout, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was shot dead on Night 3! :rip:
Still another scrap of paper is found tucked under the corpse's finely-tailored hat, torn edges starting to fray from constant handling. Even when the migrants look at all four snippets of scribbled-upon paper gathered thus far, the maddened scrawls' meaning yet eludes them. There must be pieces missing still...

The wagon train opts to Stop to Hunt and Forage by majority vote.

While the men and women more skilled in the hunt prepare their firearms and game bags, others make plans to search the area surrounding their impromptu camp for any useful supplies... but the chill mist's refusal to lift despite the sun's dimmed glare reminds all assembled that danger still awaits the unwary.

:cheers: Day 4 starts now. Deadline is Thursday 11-OCT-2018 at 10:00 PM EDT. :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 4 :beerpal:

Not Voting (9): Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, King Burgundy, Murmur Twin, sniper4625, TMMadman, Xad :rubshands:

With 9 people still alive, it takes 5 votes to execute.
The current deadline is October 11th, 2018 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

:cheers: As an exception, I would like to ask that people refrain from posting until I can process this. Thank you! :cheers:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artwIp9Jp0k

pre:
Where'm I going
I don't know
where am I heading I ain't certain
all I know is I am on my way
(Gold fever
Gold fever)
when will I be there
I don't know
when will I get there
I ain't certain
all I know is I am on my way
(Gold fever
Gold fever)
The four travelers who had set off to scrounge about came upon an abandoned and weed-choked trio of wagons - clearly remnants of a less-lucky journey than theirs. They set about searching... or at least made a game attempt at it, though they couldn't help but be irritated at one member of their search party who clearly had her dander up about another member of the wagon train. Discarding any attempt at at digging through the wreckage, she instead collared the other searchers for a fine old rant about her suspicions - how that rude man didn't even bother to abide by her perfectly reasonable request for a certain phrasing, and that it clearly meant he must be one of the hideous murderers! Concealing their sighs and rolled eyes, the others humored her - one even going so far as to pat her on the back in a consoling manner.

*bang*

quote:

The world used to be a very quiet place. Sometimes you miss that, but there's no turning back now. Certainly, you were always interested in music - went to school for it and everything. Your teachers whispered to each other about how you had perfect pitch, and you were broadly considered to be a prodigy with a bright future ahead of you. Shine enhanced that even further, sharpening your hearing into something truly special - you're still not sure, to this day, exactly what it is that you hear when under the influence... but it's beautiful.

With all that in your favor, surely you had a bright life ahead of you, full of opportunities! Unfortunately, you had the poor luck of moving out to Texas for your first steady gig right before the Mexicans stormed in and it all went to hell - and now you're right back where you started. Maybe there'll be better opportunities out West? It certainly can't hurt - you'll just have to keep your ears open and see what Shine brings your way.

:rip: TMMadman, aka Claudia Sommer, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Echo}, was endgamed! :rip:

Abruptly silenced, the echoes of the migrant's rant died away as she slumped to the ground - revealing a still-smoking pistol in the hand of the man who had just been comforting her. He grinned and held up an empty bottle of Shine - clearly, he had found something in his search while the others were distracted. Before anyone else could react, the other woman in the search party pulled a pistol from her purse - more of a toolkit, if one were to look at it twice - and gunned the fourth member of their group down.

*BANG*

quote:

There's just not enough hours in the day to get everything done! With a whole wide world out there to see, full of people to meet and angles to play, why would anyone ever just sit around and waste time? Take yourself, for instance - the second you heard about gold out West, you were off like a shot with the first wagon train you could find! Certainly, you could have taken your time and scoped your options out a bit more - but that's LAYABOUT TALK! Only those who strive for greatness will achieve it, while those who wait for life's rewards to fall into their lap shall be left shiftless and poor! Certainly, things have already become more interesting than you anticipated - but that just means this is yet another opportunity to distinguish yourself!

:rip: King Burgundy, aka Robert Dane, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Motivator}, was endgamed! :rip:

Faces splitting into genuine (if a bit predatory) grins, the two murderers caught each other up in a fierce embrace. They had done it!

quote:

Reacting to surprises that come your way is the only way to get by in life, no matter what it demands of you. The world's thrown you plenty of bad deals, but you're known as someone who will do just about anything to come out on top. Shine, for better or worse, latched onto that particular aspect of you and... amplified it, in a surprising way. You're not complaining though - it gives you even more options than you had before, even if it doesn't do much for your looks. Getting all oozey-gooey ain't bad if it lets you smash your way through anything in your path, or slip unseen through the finest cracks!

:clint: Bifauxnen, aka Adrien Angioli, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Adapter}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

quote:

Gears are one of the most soothing things in the world - they just fit smoothly into the greater whole, happy to play their part... unlike yourself. But once Shine came into your life with its unique potential, you were finally able to capture that serenity at last - the feeling of ticking cheerfully away without a care in the world. But soon, putting a bit of your mind into a simple cog wasn't enough... you had to have more. More CONTROL. Let the world fall into place for YOU, for once!

:clint: Asphyxious, aka Dortha Klassen, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Gadgeteer}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

pre:
Got a dream boy
got a song
paint your wagon
and come along
and get
gold fever
no rockin' rollin' girl and fella stuff
can cure the
gold fever
nothin can help you but the yellow stuff
what
can stop that itchin
ain't
around the kitchen
gold gold
gold gold
goooooold
Aside from hunting for supplies, the foremost thing on everyone's minds was food - if they couldn't keep the wagon train's bellies full, not a single soul would make it out West. But as the hunters tramped into the damp undergrowth, the strain of the journey thus far weighed heavily upon them and their guns quivered ever so slightly in their grasp. Each surrounded in their thoughts, they spread out and took up position - waiting for the right moment to fire upon their unsuspecting prey. One of the hunters nearly jumped out of his skin as another traveler - nice-looking woman, she's the one that had been getting all sniffy before - crept up by him. It was only by the grace of God that he didn't shoot her dead right then and there, but she seemed altogether too distracted to notice. Whispering for him to look at something, she pulled a stiff piece of cardstock out of her vest and showed him a set of blurry... were those fingerprints? Matching the scene of the previous murders?! They had to tell the others, there wasn't a moment to lo-

*BANG* *BANG*

quote:

You miss the restaurant, sometimes. Sure, the kitchen was hot and sticky in the summers and cold enough to leave you shivering by the stove in the winters - but it was YOUR kitchen, dang it! You had plenty of good years there, slinging good food to happy folks and making a name for yourself among the folks who actually cared about such things. But then along came bad ole Shine... at first you thought it was the greatest thing on God's green earth. Who wouldn't love having the sharpest sniffer in the world? But then things got weird. For whatever reason, you couldn't stop thinking about how things would smell to your customers. You had to do anything you could to keep their food smelling good - how had you never noticed the flaws with your cooking before?!

Sadly, it didn't take long for you to have a total breakdown. They found you two towns over picking violets from some lady's garden and muttering about umami, and that was it for you. At least this journey west is another chance - a new opportunity to try something different. Might as well sniff out whatever you can in the process!

:rip: hambeet, aka Gwendoline Neil, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was endgamed! :rip:

The second hunter dropped like a poleaxed steer too, gun slipping from nerveless fingers. The murderer checked both bodies briefly, heartily congratulating himself on his good fortune that the idiots had decided to split up like they did today. The echoes of his rough laughter faded as he headed back to camp, leaving two rapidly-cooling corpses...

quote:

Staying in the background tends to suit you - after all, the spotlight sears when its baleful gaze drifts your way. A certain sort of humility, you suppose. Why hog attention when there are so many others out there more deserving of it than you? Even when you took to the Shine, you stuck to that mindset - but with a bit of a different spin. After all, if nobody's paying attention to the same thing you are... perhaps it's time for you to take what you deserve at last.

:clint: Mr. Humalong/Xad, aka Gareth Albert, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Confounder}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

...until one of them shivered in the chill damp, before jolting upright and looking around to see if they had truly gone. As the tingling power of Shine faded from his skin, he let out a quiet sigh. He'd gotten lucky, once again... but enough was enough. Time to make the sensible decision and stay out of whatever was happening next - there'd be other opportunities so long as he lived.

quote:

Sometimes, you just can't help yourself. You could have left well enough alone - just sipped your drink, looked the other way, and ignored the thugs dragging a drunkard out back. If you would have just done that, then life would have been so much simpler these days! But no, you had to knock back your Shine and follow them out back, and things... well, things escalated from there. Thanks to that last drink, the guns weren't so much of a problem - but the guys holding them, and their (many) friends with far-too-long memories? Well, maybe a change of scenery will do you some good.

:rip: Hal Incandenza, aka Josiah Benvenuti, Migrant-Aligned Bodyguard {Bulletproof}, was endgamed! :rip:

pre:
they call the wind Mariah
away out here
they got a name
for rain and wind and fire
the rain is Tess
the fire's Jo
and they call the wind Mariah
Back at camp, the remaining two members of the traveling party tended to the animals and kept the fires stoked, while anxiously listening for signs of the others' return. Minutes stretched into an eternity, and boredom soon set in. One of the two men sat on a stump by the fire with a sigh, picking up the four scraps of paper that had been left nearby after everyone's puzzled examination of them earlier in the morning. Brow furrowed, he squinted carefully at them as if committing them to memory. Indeed, they were the last thing that he would ever remember.

*BANG*

quote:

How touching. The dumb bitch was defending her deadbeat boyfriend, even though it meant she'd hang for it. Honestly, how can people possibly be this STUPID? You've grown tired of dealing with people day in and day out - no matter what, they always manage to disappoint you. Even the kindest, most upstanding people have a rotten core - and it's your job to feel that out. The truth is always at your fingertips, especially with the power of Shine behind you!

:rip: Murmur Twin, aka Fredrick Bull, Migrant-Aligned Vanilla {Snoop}, was endgamed! :rip:

His murderer shoved the rapidly-cooling corpse to the side, sending the mist swathing the ground aloft in a massive puff. Sitting comfortably on the now-vacant stump, he assessed the body with a calculated gaze. A quick search of the body revealed yet another scrap of paper similar to the others had been found already - looking thoughtfully at it for a moment, he set it aside. It had been quite the onerous journey thus far, and they'd come drat near close to disaster too many times for his liking. But if everything was going according to plan, that would be the last of the idiots that they had to deal with...

quote:

Growing up, you were always a bit tired of people telling you to cheer up instead of being such a grump all the time. Nobody ever listened when you tried to explain why it's not as simple as that! But like many others before you, you eventually turned to drink as a way to manage your negativity... and it, quite literally, turned your life upside down in one single sip. Anything you touched, you could reverse somehow - you'd never heard of Shine affecting anyone like this before! But it didn't take too long before you realized the possibilities of what the power of Shine could flip, and suddenly things became a great deal more interesting...

:clint: sniper4625, aka Adam Brandt, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Inverter}, has WON a shared SCUM VICTORY! :clint:

pre:
I was born
under a wandrin star
I was born under a wandrin star
wheels are made for rollin
mules are made to pack
I never seen a sight that didn't look better lookin back
I was born, I was born...
a million miles away
Send back the world
There's too much night for me
The sky is much too high
To shelter me when darkness falls
Four cabin walls
Would be just right for me
A million miles away behind the door
One joyful reunion later, the claim jumpers spent the rest of the day and night drinking and carousing - the rest of their journey was bound to be a piece of cake, with all the supplies that their former traveling partners no longer needed. Heck, they'd even found a few more dusty bottles of Shine tucked away! The mysterious scribbled scraps of paper were squinted at a few more times, but ultimately cast aside - an useless distraction, at this point. Life was looking good for them, and who knew what opportunities the West would hold for enterprising folks like them?

pre:
You wanna see sin of the wickedest kind?
Here it is!
You wanna see virtue left behind?
Here it is!
Sodom was vice
And visa-versa
You wanna say where the vice is worser?
Here it is!
I mean, here it is!
You wanna live life in the rottenest city?
Here it is!
Women and whiskey, night and day?
Here it is!
You wanna embrace the golden calf?
Ankle, and thigh, and upper half?
Here it is!
I mean, here it is!
The next morning, they awoke with raging hangovers to realize something baffling. One of their number was gone - along with one of the wagons and a goodly quantity of provisions... and the five scraps of paper that had been carelessly cast aside the previous night. All that was left in return was a hastily-scrawled note:

"Left your fair shares, more or less. Good luck to you out West. Got unfinished business elsewhere."

quote:

Growing up, you were always a bit tired of people telling you to cheer up instead of being such a grump all the time. Nobody ever listened when you tried to explain why it's not as simple as that! But like many others before you, you eventually turned to drink as a way to manage your negativity... and it, quite literally, turned your life upside down in one single sip. Anything you touched, you could reverse somehow - you'd never heard of Shine affecting anyone like this before! But it didn't take too long before you realized the possibilities of what the power of Shine could flip, and suddenly things became a great deal more interesting...

War changed your life, in ways that nobody can ever begin to comprehend. You stood by your leader's side, and whispered the honeyed words in her ear that brought an army - a state - a nation to its knees. But in the end, all you could think about was what she left you - both her final words, and the sheaf of crucial battlefield intelligence that went with them. You've spent a long time considering what to do with both... though in your heart, you know the decision was already made the second the echoes of those executioners' guns died away. The Americans are powerless... but there are others out there who could use this, to carry out her vengeance. You just need enough funding to make it happen... with a little help from the power of Shine. After all, who knows more about shifting allegiances than you - the most famous traitor of the Southwestern War?

Now here you are, weathered by time, toil, and far more than any single soul can bear unscathed. You've had a good long run, but there's no room for error left in your life. The weathered scrap of paper secure in your pocket is evidence of the six-person tontine you joined when you were much younger and far more carefree - and you'll do whatever it takes to make it yours so you can carry out Ma's final wish, even if you have to turn this whole wagon train inside out. The still-warm pistol in your pocket is proof of that.

:smug: sniper4625, aka Adam Arnold Brandt, Claim Jumper-Aligned Vanilla {Inverter}, is the last member living of the six-person tontine! They have left the game with an INDIVIDUAL VICTORY! :smug:

(They have ALSO earned $20 in forums certs/Steam games/a donation to the charity of their choice! Please let me know what your choice is!)

pre:
Where am I going
I don't know
Where'm I heading
I ain't certain
all that I know is I am on my way
(gold fever)
nothing can help you but the yellow stuff
what
can stop that itchin
ain't
around the the kitchen
gold, gold
hooked am I
Shine VI: Fool's Gold was a game of Mafia for 16 players:
4 Claim Jumpers, led by a man that would not be deterred from his mission.
1 Serial Killer, out for the fortune she was owed thanks to a lifetime of service.
11 Migrants, seeking fame and riches out West for their own reasons.

Mod Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lvVknQS3SuP-IhfHdSg7tZij4OUBaf7_Ql-Be4KWa6Q/edit?usp=sharing
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/krqW3kD

Thank you all for playing and reading along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

You've got the Shine
You've got the power

lomarf

Miscellaneous Setup Thoughts:
- Yes, the game started from the seed of "but what if a dethy" - Monathin had this absolutely right in deadchat.
- I hate the cop role as a rule, but I treated this game as a challenge to myself in how to use it in a balanced way. I think I succeeded via limited-use/sanity/incentivizing cops to NOT reveal themselves or push for executions of other revealed cops by way of the tontine.
-- Incidentally, sanities were: Max (Sane), hambeet (Naive), IcePhoenix (Paranoid), and MMT (Insane)
- The tontine was the most experimental feature of this game, since I wanted to add a little intrigue to counterbalance town cops. In retrospect I could have done this better by adding some kind of tontine-cop ability (similar to what I've done for Bosses in previous games), but I only thought of this partway through Day 2. Drat!
- TMM's role-inheriting ability and the inventor's Rolecop would have revealed cop sanity. I went back and forth a lot on whether to reveal sanity with flips, and ultimately decided that doing so would be far too harmful to scum in a situation where cops were likely to fullclaim the instant they were out of Shine.

More to come as I think of them.

• Locked thread