Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:rolldice:

Let's give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hello friends!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also, goodness! Poor Lyda. I feel like we barely got to know them!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

King Burgundy posted:

I'm not seeing anything suspicious as of yet.

Yeah, same here. Also not seeing anything suheywait a second...

King Burgundy posted:

I'm not seeing anything suspicious as of yet.

:thunk:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Goodness gracious! And here I thought I was a regular ole' chatterbox, but you've all just been rattling away plenty while I've been away, huh? Now, all I'll say is that I dunno about some of this. It's been a hot second or two since I've played an actual game of Mafia, to put it one way, and it's my first game around here, so beg your pardon if I'm misinterpreting anything...

On that note I did wanna slip into the conversation for a moment and ask for a slight bit of clarification to make sure I'm following along properly: with the concept of chain-lynching brought up, I assume via context that's the idea of a vote (duh) and then going off ('chaining') the results/flip against those who voted? I've looked around for the term a little but could only find it being used / not an exact definition, and it's not a term I'm exactly familiar with.

Thanks! :v:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sniper4625 posted:

Get well soon Herocat.

Still catching up on what appears to be the now standard flood of overnight posts, but both BK/Bif have explained their positions enough that I don't think either is necessarily coming from a place of bad faith. IPs overly defensive reaction is interesting, but I'm guessing there's some past game history informing that?

Lordy, no kidding! And on D1. Not that that's a bad thing by any means, mind you. To kinda pipe in with some actual slight content, thoughts so far:

On Asiina/IP: I know we're a bit past it, but... with D1's being what they are, beyond all the joke posting and nonsense all you can really do is press a little and see what comes up. Why, look at all the conversation it ultimately led to! I can see the thought with regards to IP, but I just don't think I can see voting for IP for that alone - today, anyway. Definitely noted down and filed away thought.

On the Bif/BK thing: ehhhhh. Put a gun or I guess a vote to my head... I'd have to lean a little more towards Bif(/voting for Beek, s'what I mean) but - and I say this and everything gelse without any outside knowledge on previous games or pre-read - it reads to me as perhaps a bit of an overzealous defense on re-reading the back and forth.

More in a sec, I've got like four different tabs of the game open trying to catch up.

On herocat: get well soon, brave friend! :ohdear:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sniper4625 posted:

Is there an almanac of player game history/posting habits somewhere, because I just realized that people could probably say anything they like on that front and those without the same length of experience would believe them unless it's called out by other old timers.

I would assume probably not. Always the danger for new timers, but I assume there'd be some leniency / understanding for not picking such up, naturally. :v: Meta knowledge is what it is.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Any elaboration or just pure gut?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ah hell forgot the deadline was so soon. Much as I prefer it, probably not going to be around the hour or so up to deadline for today. (Hooray for training new people!)

still getting used to posting on mobile, definitely no going back to a flip that's for sure

Will try to pitch in a bit more here shortly...

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

IllegallySober posted:

Mornin’, all, beginning to catch up now.

When you catch up (good luck/hurry, hurry!) would be curious to hear your thoughts as a fellow mostly quiet person so far I'd be curious on your thoughts re: beek.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Which you did while I was posting a bit it seems, so, neat. :v:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SolusLunes posted:

Hello friend! IP is not me. He has not posted. Those were my posts.

My glorious, magnificent posts.

You are absolutely right, oops. Skim reading bad!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bifauxnen posted:

wait, so you think it's better to wait till tomorrow to pressure anyone? Why not do it now and see if anything happens?

And you seem to be getting your bandwagons confused. You say I was considering jumping on the TMM bandwagon, but IP is the one I was saying sounded scummy and should maybe look at tomorrow. And no one was even talking about IP before I popped in to comment on that post of his.

I think I have to agree here for the most part? A lot of my previous mafia experience more or less treated D1 throughout as a complete jokephase (often ending with no successful lynch per mod fiat... Yeah.) I think I like this a lot better. Yeah, it's a little rough but it still doesn't have to end in a lynch per se and pressuring even on D1 can provide info for later. Gonna have to be something to get used to, this much on D1 definitely caught me by surprise.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Max posted:

I'm not kidding, click his link in the OP and look at how more than half his posts, many of them made well out of joke phase, don't have anything to really do with the game.

These two posts in particular stand out:

These look and smell like summary posts that don't really say . . . anything?

Now I'm worried because I'm more or less the same so far. :ohdear: Again, I absolutely admit this was a bit more than I expected via D1. (Which, not a complaint, mind you! Just a recalibration on my side is the issue.) I am trying to play catch up a bit, again, but if any thoughts are requesting I should be here until deadline, now that I've finished up with training.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jesus aaand if I'm reading right I wound up the only person not voting. Awesome, neat. Really loving hope I can do a bit better in day 2, cripes. I hope I didn't get a bit over my head! (Realtalk I should be alright, but, man. Now I know what to expect a bit better.)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah no, obviously day should still progress to near it's normal length regardless so we can hear from everyone, etc. There are plenty of folks who haven't said much.

I'll unvote if you get close. But you are still fine.

Hi, hello! This is me. Again, apologies on D1, etc.

So, I took a little bit of time to get properly caught up while the thread wasn't moving. Glancing over the vote over on IP (hopefully I won't mix up anyone else again, sheesh) - I was mostly curious regarding Gaspy. Vote number three on IP, middle of the pact but one of the votes that helped push IP more forward in the vote count.

Also,

Asphyxious posted:

I didn’t really see pressure on IP and I think his reaction is a bit ott in the circumstances.

Asphyxious posted:

I’ve just reread illegallysober and I’m not seeing it, from peoples description I was expecting a bit of Dick Bastardly “clearly not reading the thread properly thought salad” kinda stuff but it wasn’t really there. The only thing that looks even kinda bad is asking for other cases, which just left me feeling kinda ehh.

My take is that IP’s reaction was still completely out of nowhere so I’m calling confected outrage.

##vote Icephoenix

Which, both more toward IP's reaction, sure. But, no pressure on IP? Maybe, maybe. But you were also the first to react to IP's vote on TMM-

-which, that's not very much, no, especially as we were phasing out of jokephase at that point. Sure. You also sure seemed pretty eager to jump on IP's post potentially being a 'scumslip' once Asiina brought it up. Which, sure you weren't alone with, but the whole thing gives off faint vibes of scum trying to nudge the vote along. Not strong enough to place a vote, by any means, particularly with everything going on with beek, but I don't like it!

natch i say all of this with the D1 i had so i fully expect some pot, kettle, etc.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also I went with Choice A because I am concerned through cutting through this territory. Choice A certainly seemed to sound a little safer!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TMMadman posted:

Oh yeah, I also voted for choice B because Viva Pancho Villa!

:ohdear: I hope it was the right choice!

On that, a side note, probably not a terrible idea for people to mention their choice if nobody has any objections? It might not be anything significant at all, but it might be useful information for later. (Also if we wind up with a majority saying they chose A when we went B, well... :v: )

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hambeet posted:

i don't think that would happen

Nor do I, realistically. Hell, I don't think there will be anything to analyze much in those votes at all. But it's easy information to throw in and knowledge is power, or something.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TMMadman posted:

Right now my 'the simplest explanation is the right one' side is warring with my paranoid 'this is too easy, there's gotta be a curveball' side.

I hear you on that. It does feel a little too easy in a way? Asiina was very much in on beek (even saying that her vote on IP was in part because beek wasn't happening) - it's N1 of all things - with the watch happening to trigger / being used...

But also sometimes the easiest explanations are correct.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So... was hesitating to ask, but especially as things have quieted a smidge, curious. Would anyone like to explain their case to IS or at least confirm that I've got the right of it, as I'm not sure if I have it? Seems to be around a few posts IS made, mostly:

IllegallySober posted:

Catch-up thoughts:

I read the initial TMM response as mostly joking, so not really buying this case even for D1.

This initial BK response to Bif I agree with and made me lean town on BK and scum on Bif.

I’m not going to go too hard into the “sussing out” back-and-forth that followed that exchange because it makes my eyes glaze over.

Triggered me (I am a football official)

Between the two (BK/Bif), I think Bif comes off very aggressive (as per usual) and BK seems to over-justify as the conversation continues on. I think I have more of a town lean on BK and a more null read on Bif (as aggression is her usual style) as opposed to a scum read on either one.

While I was typing all this on mobile I see there’s now a discussion on Solus’ quote-post so looking at that next.

and

IllegallySober posted:

Re-reading Hal he’s essentially a blank slate to me as far as any kind of strong opinions thus far.

This is the only substantive post by MMT I can find:

I disagree with her opinion here re: BK, but at least she’s got an explanation for her thought process. And she did mention beforehand that early-week was tough for her and is catching up now, so we’ll see what that leads to.

I’m not sure where else to go right now. Somebody want to sell me on a case that isn’t BK, for the moment?

Yes? Perhaps my scumdar isn't necessarily the best but I dunno, I struggle to get a feeling of scuminess from this, I guess because it's mostly along the lines of things admittedly I'd have probably posted with a slightly more active D1. But I also get the argument that this is absolutely more background noise (easy to point people out as townie! v. scum) just, I dunno, to the point of having gotten up to 4 votes? Someone help me out a little, I guess. (Also, I think we're still waiting to hear from IS today, as well?)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

All of that makes a lot of sense, yeah. Thanks, Mafia Dad!

Max posted:

My follow up to that would be: If you imagine yourself back on day 1 and IS isn't pinging you, who would you have rather been the lunch and why?

Hmm. Thinking on this and going back to D1, with how I was feeling at the time and doing a reread, some thoughts and not necessarily in order:

0.) It's the easy answer, I know - and with what I just gave Gaspy a hot second ago - but probably IP. If not for the vote on TMM, then for the response once pressure was put on.
1.) Hal, partially for what I feel is a sin of skating on by a bit pot, kettle, yes while also going about :

Hal Incandenza posted:

I am here through deadline now, I will ##vote IS because bad posts are worse than no posts in my book

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well I mean they are all "bad" in the sense that you seem to have written up some summaries of people's posts, then randomly(?) picked me and MMT to call out and then said nothing of substance about us and then went back to posting summaries and just don't seem particularly invested in anything you say.

Now that IP has posted more they may look worse than you however and you are here so maybe you can change my views on you with dazzling IllegallySober casework

Which, sure, but that strikes me as a little odd with virtually zero casework/reads themselves before or after?
2.) beek. Obviously a smidge late for that, but mostly a follow up to one of my few bits of actual content D1 that on beek v. bif, that's where I was leaning toward previously with beek's posting.
3.) Hum. Mostly a gut read, I think, I don't have anything in particular I can point at beyond that.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asphyxious posted:

Considering what was recquired to get into this game, we should have zero lurkers :/

Agreed! I've been trying to do better today, I know how many people wanted the spot so I don't wanna be that person that took one. :ohdear:

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Podima posted:

:guinness: Xad replaces Mr. Humalong. :guinness:

Hello Xad! Obviously take your time to catch up, but did you get something delivered to you by chance last night?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

May be obvious question, and I'm assuming so, but just in case because of the wording: if someone searches, they'd be able to switch to assisting, yes?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I will ##search for now! Hopefully we can find something useful!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hambeet posted:

just checked and studies and pisspot have barely more posts than the mod. which is sorta problematic. actually studies you're equal posts with someone who was lynched yesterday. giddy up champ

I've been trying today so far!

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hambeet posted:

if mod gave you a gun right now who would you shoot?

With the caveats of one - I assume we're excluding BK from this because, yeah - and two... assuming this is a 'gun to my head and gun in my hand' situation, because I'm not sure how strongly I feel on these, which is part of the problem--

Gaspy, I think. Partially for when and how the vote on IP, partially for the vote to assist MMT just a bit ago - while I hope MMT will be an alright candidate for receiving the one-shot, but I don't know if I like the end of discussion so suddenly, either. But also acknowledging that's pretty weak. That said...

One of TMM or maybe Bif? So far I've generally been agreeing with some of the general points, but based on the vague lines of discussion, seeing a flip on either of them I think would be an interesting piece of the grander puzzle.

also dumb newbie question, maybe, but: what does '3P' refer to? I've seen it mentioned around one or two places i think but i'm not sure i get it from the context?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wait, how many cops do we goddamn have/claiming to have? Four, yeah?

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So... four snoops/one investigator (five in total) - two inventors/item givers, a snitch with a second apparently around from last night, some sort of role-doubler? thrown in somewhere, and potentially some sort of nexus/driver/redirect of some sort, along with a potential blocker. Do I have that all right?

King Burgundy posted:

Feels like we could narrow things down significantly with some full claim action. But maybe it's still too early?

Just know that I'm on board if we go that way.

Same on both marks here.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

beet: Good list, I think, only thing I can think of missing is:

Bifauxnen posted:

hi all my action failed too, don't @me cause I'm not on lunch yet

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hambeet posted:

was just about to ask what did i miss.

so bif's n2 failed too.

Went back through the thread checking my notes on yours and yeah, other than that only thing I can think of would be noting MMT getting the item D2, which was apparently the Singed Lasso/single-shot roleblock. And I guess Max's notes of item/other action last night.

Something is definitely off with the snoops. Don't think it's impossible we have a handful, but a total of five? (At least!) Anyone else wanna raise their hand and claim a cop at this point?

Would love to hear a bit more from you sniper once you're available.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TMMadman posted:

I really hope that having a Lie Detector died on N0 isn't some kind of elaborate troll by Podima.

cripes, didn't even think of that, if our snoops are naive/insane/paranoid or whatever, this might be even more a mess.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Since we're doin' this... I'm the Gossip, funnily enough, with the ability to pull people into a - unconfirmed - masonry. So far I've pulled Bif (N1) and Max (N2) along into our snug little gossip circle without any issues or failures. That's... pretty much it for me.

So, if I have my notes correctly, for those still alive:

Asphyxious: Gadgeteer
Bifauxnen: Adapter (claimed in masonry, provided blessing to provide information)
Hal Incandenza: Bodyguard
hambeet: Snoop
IllegallySober: Inventor?
King Burgundy: Motivator
Max: Snoop
Mr. Humalong -> Xad: ???
Murmur Twin: Snoop
sniper4625: ???
Social Studies 3rd Period: Gossip
TMMadman: ???

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Max posted:

One claim incoming that has to do with the second thing that happened to me during N2.

Yeah, what Max said.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Max posted:

Should expand on Bif's role, I think it's a shine role, but she can chose to vig or make herself bp each night. I think she didn't do anyting night 1 and made herself bp night 2, but it failed.

Also confirming I'm in the unconfirmed masonry.

And confirming that this is what bif informed us of, yeah.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For TMM...

I am Vanilla {Gossip} and I performed these actions:

N1: pull Bif
N2: pull Max

Both actions succeeded.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Murmur Twin posted:

I am a migrant-aligned Vanilla {Snoop} who started with two shine.

On n1 I targeted gaspy and got MIGRANT
On n1 I was inspired, which doubles the use of my next shine

On d2 I received a singed lasso, good for a 1x roleblock. I haven’t used it yet.

On n2 I targeted sniper and got “your action failed”. I also targeted ss3p and got NOT MIGRANT.

My logic was that I wanted to target people who I didn’t have an organic read on.

I'm legit not sure what to say or really how to defend against this - really, with this information voting me is probably the right move, but well. I know from my role information that I'm the Vanilla Gossip, and would absolutely be happy to submit to the lie detector test for it, because I know what I am. Unless I'm somehow insane or secretly 3P without knowing it, I guess? I have one last invitation to send to the masonry, and I'd be happy to send it to whoever.

I will say this, and again, noting I lack any sort of meta knowledge or context, but: it seems a little odd to me that in a game with a supposedly five - five! - cop roles, a couple of inventors, and so on, one of the powers the scum would get would be to... invite people into a masonry? (And I hope the masonry I create is at least accepted as real, with both Max and Bif confirming - d'be a hell of a scum ploy, I guess.) No, I think it's much more likely from my perspective some of our cops are insane or not telling the truth entirely. As such, futile as it may be, I'm gonna ##vote MMT mostly out of self-defense at the moment, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asphyxious posted:

When asked who they would vote for, they offer up me, TMM and... Bif.

Isn’t that a bit odd? Considering they were now in a masonry with bif? Why mason someone you were on the fence with, why soft bus your mason buddy with no real reason?

I must stress that

a.) the masonry is unconfirmed.
b.) Taking my words sliiighly out of context here, aren't you? I said TMM or Bif, as one or the other would probably provide us some information based on their flips / everything else that went on, which, surprise, I still stand by! (Which was also before the BK flip when we were operating on the assumption BK was probably scum.)

fwiw, I chose Bif N1 for generating a fair bit of the discussion on D1, a gut read and a lot of the argument with BK that made sense. (No idea how hard I was hoping BK to flip scum there to clear my mason buddy.) Max N2 for being such an active driver of discussion all over the place in a way that did not read scum to me at all.

• Locked thread