Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

King Burgundy posted:

You had me at Shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

King Burgundy posted:

I'm so excited to set up a new life in the new country led by the best leader ever! Pancho Villa!

Lol, may the war rage on.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

Or illegally sober?

Sorry, I think Iíve checked in with a post or two here but have had limited time today and a deadline in another time. I should be able to post more here late this evening and tomorrow as well.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

Whats a bofa?

oh no

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Morniní, all, beginning to catch up now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Catch-up thoughts:

Asiina posted:

It's not much of a case atm, but essentially if it was a jokevote then okay, which is why I gave the opening for him to say it was, but he seemed to imply it was real but gave a strange half-joke reason that you and KB are usually not the same alignment is him.

Also saying Max isn't being fair by pointing out that's a weird thing to say.

How isn't he being fair?

Basically that whole little back and forth was weird and I didn't like it.

I read the initial TMM response as mostly joking, so not really buying this case even for D1.

Bifauxnen posted:

got enough reasons there, bud?

I like Asiina sussing this out and might vote TMM later, but if it turns out to be wrong this is where I'd look first for scum trying to get things rolling.

BottleKnight posted:

##vote bif

This reads to me as you determining whether or not to bandwagon, and deciding you might join the bandwagon later. Additionally, itís weird to phrase it as Asiina ďsussing outĒ when sheís made it clear the case is worth a vote. Additionally, setting up your basically-a-chain-Lynch is an intense hedge. I come away from this post having no idea what you think about TMM.

This initial BK response to Bif I agree with and made me lean town on BK and scum on Bif.

Iím not going to go too hard into the ďsussing outĒ back-and-forth that followed that exchange because it makes my eyes glaze over.

IcePhoenix posted:

You didn't individually but you are part of a collective and if you can't see that you must be an umpire/ref

Triggered me (I am a football official)

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

When you catch up (good luck/hurry, hurry!) would be curious to hear your thoughts as a fellow mostly quiet person so far I'd be curious on your thoughts re: beek.

Between the two (BK/Bif), I think Bif comes off very aggressive (as per usual) and BK seems to over-justify as the conversation continues on. I think I have more of a town lean on BK and a more null read on Bif (as aggression is her usual style) as opposed to a scum read on either one.

While I was typing all this on mobile I see thereís now a discussion on Solusí quote-post so looking at that next.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Asiina posted:

I don't really get that multi-quote post Solus just did, because it seems like you're leaning for BK as town, but then declare Bif town and vote for him.

Max posted:

The issue is that initial post you made looks like you're winding up to say "I think BK was the town person in that exchange given that you say most of his quotes were correct and slam Bif for throwing an OMGUS at him. Then you call him scum. It wasn't clear.

SolusLunes posted:

I've noticed that I generally try to find as much evidence contradicting my thoughts as possible. I didn't really do a very good job of organizing my thoughts in that post.

Beek before getting into it with Bif was pretty towny, with a good subtle prod. Beek (seemingly deliberately) misinterpreting Bif's posting swung that needle firmly towards scum (by D1 standards).

I think the second attempt at the explanation comes off better than the first, for sure, and if anything I think the immediate attempt at clarification here after the first big quote-post is a point in Solusí favor as opposed to against:

SolusLunes posted:

essentially BK started out as acting pretty town, and then doubled down real hard on misinterpretations of Bif.

It may be some terrible tunneling and a town v town slapfight, because this is how those look.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Iíve never seen that emote before. Thatís...something.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I think Iím going to take a look at Hal and MMT next, since at the moment Iím not really reading anyone strongly for scum and I canít recall anything specific either has posted so far. Will do that on my lunch break here shortly.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

I think Iím going to take a look at Hal and MMT next, since at the moment Iím not really reading anyone strongly for scum and I canít recall anything specific either has posted so far. Will do that on my lunch break here shortly.

Re-reading Hal heís essentially a blank slate to me as far as any kind of strong opinions thus far.

This is the only substantive post by MMT I can find:

Murmur Twin posted:

(phoneposting until further notice)

##vote bk

BKs case on Bif feels faked to me, like he decided to call her scum and then reverse-engineered a reason. Iím not sure I buy that anyone would think Bifís early d1 vote on TMM was ďcalculatedĒ and required hedging, and I disagree with his assessment that his not knowing her opinion there (again, on early d1) is suspicious at all.

I disagree with her opinion here re: BK, but at least sheís got an explanation for her thought process. And she did mention beforehand that early-week was tough for her and is catching up now, so weíll see what that leads to.

Iím not sure where else to go right now. Somebody want to sell me on a case that isnít BK, for the moment?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Asphyxious posted:

Like I interpreted his posts to mean him ďcatching upĒ was he was literally rereading a handful of people then just kinda gave up, which is crappy play. But when I reread his posts I didnít get pinged at all which gave me pause.

As I said the worst part was him being like ďwell what are the cases that arenít bk?Ē like bk is a sure vote, when heís said he thinks bk is town.

Iím just getting home now and reviewing the posts Iíve missed in the last two hours or so but Iím actually irritated at this characterization of what Iíve done this game day.

No, I havenít reread every player in the game to this point, but Iíve reviewed several today and have been trying to provide thoughts as I go. My last post was asking if anyone had anyone else they specifically wanted me to look at next, as I was well aware the ones Iíd looked at so far Iíd not found particularly scummy. I excluded BK as Iím leaning town on him. But I wasnít ďgiving upĒ on anything and to describe it as such is frustrating when Iíve been trying to contribute in and around an otherwise-lovely day for me today (which I try not to point out anymore after having been accused of using that to hide from giving reads in previous games. Cíest la vie)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Asiina posted:

IS, what do you think of IP?

IcePhoenix posted:

o before e

Anyways, I'm just sick of people deciding my votes ping them on day one. It's always "IcePhoenix seems like they're overjustifying maybe scum??? :thunk:" and then I just vote with a short justification and it's "IcePhoenix is clearly trying to start a bandwagon, scum???? :thunk" and then if I'm out of thread and see a case that's good and agree with it and vote on it it's "Oh is IcePhoenix bussing? SCUM????????!??!!??!?!?!?! :thunk::thunk::thunk:" and I just don't know what you assholes want from me anymore, and it's really annoying because I would just like to play the whole mafia game instead of constantly defending myself on day one which inevitably carries over to the next days because now I'm a target.

I didnít find this as scummy as some did (probably not surprising given the frustration I just expressed). That said, it was a little early in the day for that reaction, too.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't like that bif has hedged so much, but the rest of it is a lot of arguing back and forth that will be more relevant after we see a flip or two, IMO.

Despite that, I still feel that TMM is the better vote.

Appears to want to delay a strong alignment call on Bif and/or BK until later. Still wants to vote TMM, but with no additional justification beyond the case someone else made (Asiina?)

IcePhoenix posted:

Also I'm gonna ##unvote as well since I agree that TMM looks better today.

I think we should look towards people with fewer posts than me as well because ~my meta~ is to lurk a lot on day one and last I checked I wasn't even close to bottom poster (but that might partially be because of how signups worked) and the last game I was in scum won by basically letting town fight amongst themselves the whole time.

Now unvotes because TMM looks better, calls to look for those lurking harder than him? Interesting.

IcePhoenix posted:

Every post I make is scummy so I'm taking Hal's advice and just not posting

Okay, yeah, I could see voting here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel pretty strongly that

- IS is scum
- IP is the patsy (scummiest looking town)
- the reason that people aren't looking at IS with more suspicion is that he has a scumteam helping him out

I have probably ten more minutes or so before I pass out.

I donít really know how to respond to this other than ďno, I donít have anyone helping me with anything.Ē

Hal Incandenza posted:

I am here through deadline now, I will ##vote IS because bad posts are worse than no posts in my book

Which specifically of my posts do you find bad?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

That's -3.

I will vote IP as well, but should be here until deadline now and donít feel the need to rush him to -2 yet.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IcePhoenix posted:

it is basically the same thing at this point

Who are the scum on your vote right now, IP?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well I mean they are all "bad" in the sense that you seem to have written up some summaries of people's posts, then randomly(?) picked me and MMT to call out and then said nothing of substance about us and then went back to posting summaries and just don't seem particularly invested in anything you say.

Now that IP has posted more they may look worse than you however and you are here so maybe you can change my views on you with dazzling IllegallySober casework

I pretty well said why I picked the two of you to look at:

IllegallySober posted:

IllegallySober posted:

Re-reading Hal heís essentially a blank slate to me as far as any kind of strong opinions thus far.

This is the only substantive post by MMT I can find:

I disagree with her opinion here re: BK, but at least sheís got an explanation for her thought process. And she did mention beforehand that early-week was tough for her and is catching up now, so weíll see what that leads to.

Iím not sure where else to go right now. Somebody want to sell me on a case that isnít BK, for the moment?

I had nothing of substance to say about you because you had nothing of substance that youíd posted. As far being invested in what I say- Iím as invested as I feel I possibly can be on D1.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

My guy! Push past this! Post some reads.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm a big fan of the Wheel of Time series (which is actually finished, unlike Game of Thrones ever will be). I think the last book I read was The Martian, that was really good. Even better than the movie.

IP, do you want to claim, or should we just dunk you?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IcePhoenix posted:

None of the above, tyvm

Sigh.

##vote IP

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Is this ďtalking about game stuff is OKĒ twilight, or just shitposting/non-game stuff twilight?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Humalong posted:

I assumed the latter.

Cool cool, just checking.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

I think we can chat about the game if you'd like.

drat, Jon Lester is on fire though.

I just turned the game on. My gf is a big Cubs fan, so go Cubbies.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Lester being pulled at 88 pitches? BAD IDEA

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Good morning, Iím catching up soon but have skimmed to here. Made the mistake of being in two active to semi-active games at once mid week. Will respond to the points against me shortly.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BottleKnight posted:

Sorry, was on the phone with my dad.

Iím a watcher (busybody) and was watching TMM, so this parrot thing is very confusing to me! Nobody visited TMM. But I donít even begin to have the requisite information to explain this

If you had actual results that could be corroborated from your claimed action, I might consider shenanigans, but since you donít, I think you have to be the vote today. Sorry, BK.

(Iím not going to vote right now, but this is where Iíll land when we are ready)

SolusLunes posted:

Though I do want to know:

what'd you do last night, bif?

Bifauxnen posted:

nothing actually, is there a point to this besides rolefishing

SolusLunes posted:

That was it, really. You're the best! :beerpal:

This is a strange back-and-forth to note for later.

TMMadman posted:

I don't know if what they did is scummy yet because I don't know the alignment of IS yet.

However, if IS is actually town, then yes, I think it is scummy that hambeet complained about the votes being spread out but then didn't vote to consolidate votes on the people that had 2 votes (and I would have to take a look at those people) and also think that Hal could be scummy for putting two people in a tie at 4 votes, although to be fair, that would be less of an issue at that point. I'd have to go through the votes again to really nail it down.

Well, good news for you, I am indeed town, so something to consider for later-game here.

:ohdear: I hope it was the right choice!

On that, a side note, probably not a terrible idea for people to mention their choice if nobody has any objections? It might not be anything significant at all, but it might be useful information for later. (Also if we wind up with a majority saying they chose A when we went B, well... :v: )

I donít know why this matters to you but I chose Option B.

Asphyxious posted:

The onus then would be on bk if he were town to generate reads/content etc on the way out but I kinda think thatís not going to happen for obvious reasons.

Thatís pretty much my thought on it too.

Bifauxnen posted:

it's just very odd, I'm not used to you being within a few places of me

out of the lurkers though, IS is standing out to me. This particular post is interesting:

going from scum read to null read on me in the same post might be ok if he was contrasting his immediate first reads with where he settled into at the time of posting.

but he says after he started out with that initial scum read on me, I just sound aggressive like normal so that downgraded me to null.. while BK starts off leaning town but then overjustifies and... still looks the same, leaning town?

this seems like a defense of BK while throwing some shade my way at worst, a pretty weak weigh-in on our fight at best. Compare to others who were insisting one or the other of us looked real scummy.

it makes this later post of his about IP look like it's protecting a little:

Youíre right that I changed my thought process re: you as I was putting that together on mobile. Initially I read the argument between the two of you as a binary choice, but as I considered it further I decided I felt more null about you and town about BK, and I justified a town read on BK as more the initial lead-in to the discussion rather than where it ended up. Clearly I was wrong on that score, at least as far as BK is concerned.

Iím not seeing your angle on ďprotectionĒ of IP towards the end of your post. Can you explain further?

Murmur Twin posted:

(a) Anyone can give cursory thoughts, it's not like scum players just sit there quietly until they're picked off (unless they're me :eng99:)
(b) I believe that not having scum reads is a scum tell. It's a lot harder to accuse people of being scum if you already know who the team is
(c) When I looked at the d1 vote, I thought that it was abnormal how much more suspicious IP (whose frustration seemed genuine to me) looked to people than IS, which to me was easily explained by people using suspicion on IP to mask having to have an opinion on IS. Pretty much like BK did.

OK gotta go to class, back in a few hours.

a) I sort of get what youíre going for here, although as you yourself point out I was at least attempting to read and contribute where I could, as opposed to being completely absent and/or silent.

b) I actually would argue that making town reads is more of an indication of town play as opposed to scum play. Scum know they have to argue in bad faith to get someone dunked. Town players shouldnít be afraid to make town reads as if nothing else, itís limiting the pool of possible players where scum could be.

c) I canít really speak to the general group at largeís opinions on IP as opposed to myself, so Iím not going to try. Thatís for others to comment on.

Cutting this post off here so I donít lose it and will continue shortly.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TMMadman posted:

I will say that one point against BK is that he did break the 4-4 tie between IS and IP

TMMadman posted:

So if BK is scum then IS is also probably scum.

Iíd have to go back and look at this- havenít yet- but if true, I agree with you thatís not a point in my favor. Also not something I can control, though, so yeah.

King Burgundy posted:

This is interesting.

More and more I'm thinking BK is going to flip scum and there are no shenanigans involved. Since surely if he was town he would have more to say on his way out.

Yep. Agreed.

BottleKnight posted:

No, and I don't have a shine role.

No? lol

You have no Shine role at all? That would be very surprising to me from what I know about these games.

Murmur Twin posted:

IS: what about my opinion of BK did you disagree with? What's your opinion of him now?

I disagreed with your opinion of BK because you were suspicious of him and I read him for town at that point. Thatís pretty much the extent of it, although I did say you at least had an explanation to back up your point of view.

My opinion of him now is thereís no realistic way he canít have been the one to kill Asiina, so heís got to be scum or at the very least a 3P killing role of some ilk.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Bifauxnen posted:

oh, that was meant to be "projecting", didn't catch the typo

Projecting makes more sense in that context, thanks.

TMMadman posted:

What if there was a way to corroborate his N1 action during N2? Would you want to keep him alive or would you still want to lynch BK?

Youíre saying if he were to be left alive today and if his N2 results didnít match claims, then dunk him?

Iíd be more on-board with that idea if his initial responses had been more forcefully denying, I think, but Iím leaning more towards caught scum than innocent bystander here.

Also, side note, someone should have received something from me last night. The fact that that person hasnít said anything about it yet bothers me a little.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

Was it someone that's posted?

Yes. But for right now Iíll leave it at that.

hambeet posted:

What? No. Trying to make scum reads when you're scum is hard because you actually need to make something up. so the tendency is for people to try and look like their casing by making reads and clearing town. So when someone's only making town reads, are they hunting for scum or only keeping up appearances?

My point is that eventually scum are going to have to drive a case they donít believe in to win, so a player making town reads in good faith shouldnít automatically be scummy on that reason alone.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Iíve re-read the game day, and I believe my recipient left a breadcrumb Iíd previously been unaware of, so Iím satisfied on that score for now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

King Burgundy posted:

Phone posting so going to be less specific then usual. Got some kind of lock from someone night before last. Got to use it as a jail last night. Targeted sniper.

That was me.

hambeet posted:

i sniffed gaspy night one, because as if i was going to sniff anyone else on the first night. he came back migrant-aligned.

i tried sniffing biffin last night, but failed.

i've also got an item and left a breadcrumb earlier on because it thought gaspy gave it to me. IS spotted it thankfully.

Nope, this was NOT me.

I attempted to give an item to Solus last night, which succeeded, but unfortunately heís dead now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I dropped the discussion because KB seemed to have figured out where it came from:

King Burgundy posted:

If the item had some kind of power I imagine they'd keep it to themselves so they aren't a target.

But if the item was just random nonsense like a ticket or something I agree it would be weird not to mention it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

that's your breadcrumb?

I didnít know what the recipient would be told about what theyíve received (i.e. what it did).

In this case, the item was a Stout Padlock so in retrospect it was probably pretty obvious even without the full description, but I was still somewhat surprised KB didnít mention it. When he posted that response, though, it was pretty clear heís at least received it and there wasnít any kind of redirect involved (which was my first concern).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

What I gave him was a one-shot Shinecop. I figured by giving him that he could either use it to clear me, or would at minimum feel better about me being town.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Murmur Twin posted:

Interesting. Were you at all worried that he might be scum?

No, I actually read him for town pretty strongly by the end of yesterday, so I wasnít concerned about that.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah. I mean. I couldn't believe you gave me a jail item and really expected me to claim it and make myself a target before using it. I was a little baffled but tried to make my response as non revealing as possible. I figured you got it. But was a bit confused for a moment there today by beet saying he got your item.

Fair. I was more concerned either that it didnít get to you because of a redirect, as well as it being good info for you to have that I was the one who gave it to you. I probably should have posted something differently, though, so you wouldnít have had to reply that way. Worked out in the end though, I guess.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TMMadman posted:

Heh. I bet you wish you would have given it to me right about now.

It would have been nice to give it to someone who wasnít dead, sure. But why you specifically?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TMMadman posted:

Oh just because your action would have been proven given that I apparently had a talking oxen watching me last night.

Oh. Yeah, I suppose. Lol.

(Iím only here for the next five minutes or so until the Texans game starts, but will check in after that if not too drunk)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Since we're doin' this... I'm the Gossip, funnily enough, with the ability to pull people into a - unconfirmed - masonry. So far I've pulled Bif (N1) and Max (N2) along into our snug little gossip circle without any issues or failures. That's... pretty much it for me.

So, if I have my notes correctly, for those still alive:

Asphyxious: Gadgeteer
Bifauxnen: Adapter (claimed in masonry, provided blessing to provide information)
Hal Incandenza: Bodyguard
hambeet: Snoop
IllegallySober: Inventor?
King Burgundy: Motivator
Max: Snoop
Mr. Humalong -> Xad: ???
Murmur Twin: Snoop
sniper4625: ???
Social Studies 3rd Period: Gossip
TMMadman: ???

FWIW Iím technically called ďVanillaĒ but spend Shine to ďTinkerĒ and ďinventĒ things.

(Iím very drunk. This football game is not going the way I hoped.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Houston wins :hellyeah:

See you all in the morning, sorry I canít be around for anything more substantial tonight.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'm going to sleep but off the top of my head I would probably say IS, Bif and... Max maybe

Asphyxious posted:

Top scum picks are IS, sniper and either bif or TMM.

I know youíre all like ďbut TMMís metaĒ but his content and claim just seems off to me. Like the awkward breadcrumb and tunneling just seems anti-town.

Why me, both of you?

(Fair warning- Iím not 100% sober at the moment, so this is the time to get truth out of me if you have questions).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

do you liek me? [ ] yes [ ] no

We were scum before once upon a time, so

[x] Yes

But that doesnít mean I trust you this game.

King Burgundy posted:

I want to know your scum picks.

Not you, not Solus (he dead) not Asiina.

Iíll get back to you on the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

hambeet posted:

separate clean post in case it's true and me saying other poo poo makes poo poo difficult

poo poo

hot diggety.

i wasn't talking about the game :wink:

Hey there :wink:

Hal Incandenza posted:

Canít believe you arenít sure about BK too...

Forgot about him. And Izzhov and IP too.

• Locked thread