Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
0_o

Holy F*#%. Looks terrifying. Syfy is going to release the episodes six days in a row with the finale on Halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYql26oGGes

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's definitely an interesting way to air it and also avoids the problem of how you end up still watching a scary series well into November. I wasn't a big fan of Butcher's Block but I really liked No End House so I'm willing to give them a chance.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

That's definitely an interesting way to air it and also avoids the problem of how you end up still watching a scary series well into November. I wasn't a big fan of Butcher's Block but I really liked No End House so I'm willing to give them a chance.

Really? I thought Butcher's Block was great. Obviously No End House was great as well.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This is a stealth great show and I'm surprise it doesn't get better press.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Apparently you can already stream the first episode right now:

https://www.syfy.com/channelzerothedreamdoor/videos/401-ashes-on-my-pillow

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Series has always been creepy for me as its filming locations are like where I grew up or like an hour or 2 away. (Manitoba)

Gives some extra realness.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anybody know when Season 3 will be available for streaming? I've watched the first two on Shudder and I've got the DVR set up for Season 4, but I can't find 3 anywhere. The first half of No End House was exactly what I want from a horror series, but it didn't really stick the landing. Candle Cove was more bland, but also more consistent. Even though neither was perfect, I'm really glad people are making this kind of show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I kinda felt the same about 1 and 2, but I think 1 was more consistent. The thing with using creepypastas as a jumping off point is it's exactly that--the story can veer wildly from the setup.

I never saw 3 but from what I hear it's very much like that. Which is too bad because I have often had dreams/nightmares about a mysterious white staircase. But to jump from that to cannibals is odd, and frankly I have no desire to watch really gory stuff so I skipped Butcher's Block.

Looking forward to S4 though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I never want this series to ever stop. This has some major House Of Leaves vibes.

Finished first episode

GODDAMN that was creepy and brutal.

I am all in on this season

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 5, 2018

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Kevin Bacon posted:

Apparently you can already stream the first episode right now:

https://www.syfy.com/channelzerothedreamdoor/videos/401-ashes-on-my-pillow

Thanks for the heads up.

And.....yup.....that was creepy as gently caress.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The Cove one was really creepy and cool, and I've consistently liked the seasons better than say... American Horror Story of the same year. It's a pretty spooky little show. Some of the elements are REALLY good. I didn't like the last season very much, but I get to call it the "No Point House", so that's a feather in the cap.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

That first episode got me extremely stoked for The Dream Door. More than gore or serial killers or demons or whatever, surreal poo poo that just feels "wrong" is my favorite horror trope. I might have to break down and buy Butcher's Block because I can't get enough of this show. Even when the plot is a bit of a letdown, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

God drat, that first episode was something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah this one is starting really strong.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I think you need a cable subscription to login, but you can stream the whole season right now here:

https://www.syfy.com/channelzerothedreamdoor/videos

Edit: Holy poo poo SyFy's video player sucks. It won't run until you turn off adblock (understandable) but it's incapable of actually playing any ads for me. I have to refresh the video during every commercial break.

Edit 2: Just finished the season and... ehhhh. It started off promising, but never solidified into anything interesting. There are a few cool visuals in the final two episodes, but it doesn't make up for how slow the first four are. The antagonist is really bland, and it felt like the budget was slashed compared to previous seasons.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 28, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just watched the second episode and disagree hard that it's too slow. This season is extremely my jam so far.

The other seasons all kinda fell apart by the last couple episodes so I'm not getting my hopes up but man this is a great slow burn for me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The very end of that first episode. Hooooooo wheeeee.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I loved the first episode, especially the setup for the final scene.
The room is doused in red light, he's watching MMA on the tv and the scene right before it cuts is a dude punching the poo poo out of another, and this is a guy who immediately brought his shotgun in to open a door. It was a beautiful setup

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, I was not expecting the second episode to end the way it did. I thought her husband would last longer. Also can't help but feel creeped out by the neighbour.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So for those of you that have kept up with this show what's the generally agreed upon best season? I watched through S1 and really liked it but I'm wondering if it's another AHS where the first season or two are okay but then it goes to poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
"I gotta go feed my fish" is a pretty good euphemism.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So for those of you that have kept up with this show what's the generally agreed upon best season? I watched through S1 and really liked it but I'm wondering if it's another AHS where the first season or two are okay but then it goes to poo poo.

They're all similar -- in the sense that they're intelligent horror thrillers -- but they each vary in terms of tone and the kinds of horror movies they're inspired by. The first season channels more King, the third is more Argento, etc.

I think they're all quite good though.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 28, 2018

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I think the quality is consistent throughout the series, but it depends on what brand of horror you find most effective. Very broad spoilers: Seasons 1 and 4 are about weird monsters coming into and influencing the real world, while 2 and 3 are about regular people stumbling into strange, dreamlike alternate dimensions. I think the latter is more compelling (season 4 spoiler) which is why Dream Door was disappointing. I was immediately hooked when they found the door in the basement, but this season is more interested in the monsters that come out of the doors than what's inside of them.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I haven't gotten through "The Dream Door" yet. But I've felt that the seasons have been progressively better.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Oh....and all of the episodes are available on the Syfy app. So I'm going to burn through them on my amazon fire tv.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I know I've ragged on this season, but Pretzel Jack owns and his routine is even weirder without the makeup:

https://twitter.com/AGT/status/1011762430764990464

He also played one of the giant hosed up faces in season 3:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgflsmlFvg3/?taken-by=twistytroy

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 28, 2018

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Here I was thinking it was all a trick of the camera but no, it's actually even more messed up.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
AHAHAHAHA THE DRY HEAVING

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

On episode 4 now. Big fan of Pretzel Jack, but honestly I wanna see what Tall Boy is all about. Hope I get to see him, though probably not :(

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Also does the friendly neighbor dude kinda look like a cross beween Ryan Gosling and Fran Kranz or am I crazy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haha, watching ep 3 and I'm super glad it was a lykoi cat, even though I'm pretty sure it was CG.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 29, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kevin Bacon posted:

On episode 4 now. Big fan of Pretzel Jack, but honestly I wanna see what Tall Boy is all about. Hope I get to see him, though probably not :(

I dunno based on what he said in episode 3 just now, I think Tall Boy is definitely gonna show up in the climax

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Season was a mixed bag (main arc with the couple was fantastic, antagonist was eh, certain arcs were wildly underdeveloped, like the Eraserhead one that lasted like ten minutes) but Pretzel Jack was incredible. They made a wise choice basing the whole season around that actor.

Season spoilers: After Jack gets crushed, the rest of the season is much poorer for his absence. Long sections of the finale felt rushed, low-budget, and inelegant in a way the show usually hides better with craft. Also, Tall Boy was disappointing and the amazing scene where he murders the detectives would have been better if Jack had done it, or even the Crayolas.

Still, I loved it. Love this show, hope it gets more seasons.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 29, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This season was okay, but it definitely had a stronger start than finish. It began with a cool House of Leaves esque premise and a neat monster but episodes 4 to 6 were basically an X-men TV show. My season ranking is 2 > 3 > 4 > 1, although the first half of 4 probably deserves to be placed higher.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This continues to secretly be the best horror show on TV and it rules.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Out of curiosity, how many of you find this show actually creepy/scary? I'm usually someone who kind of avoids horror movies because I get easily freaked out by them, but I've yet to be genuinely scared or creeped out by this show. I don't really know why? I think it just looks "too clean", or something? I'm still way into it though, loving all the weirdness

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I watched the whole thing and thought it was terrible, but at least an effort was made. It didn't help that the lead actress seemed to be actually incapable of showing the emotions of fear or distress. In the first episode she seemed fine, like a woman who's trying to be happy even though she's super insecure and anxious inside, but they must have auditioned her on that alone. I wanted to like it, and it would've worked as an hour long episode of some show like Black Mirror. The makeup was ridiculous, but I liked that they broke two of the horror monster rules: only attack in the dark, and don't have witnesses. People saw Pretzel Jack walking around during the day and he didn't bother with them because he was on a mission. Tall Boy also, the bus scene was bold!

Also did they have to make those horrible noises of half-orgasm, half-speaking-in-tongues whenever they controlled their "summons"? I feel like there was something there with the almost-sexual noises they were making and the theme of sex and infidelity, but nothing was done with it.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

I think this was my favorite Channel Zero season, but the one thing I can't figure out was what purpose did the crayons serve, like, at all? Anything they did could have been Tall Boy just as easily. And they just disappeared at the end!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kevin Bacon posted:

Out of curiosity, how many of you find this show actually creepy/scary? I'm usually someone who kind of avoids horror movies because I get easily freaked out by them, but I've yet to be genuinely scared or creeped out by this show. I don't really know why? I think it just looks "too clean", or something? I'm still way into it though, loving all the weirdness

Unsettling, dreamlike surreal stuff is about the only thing that does scare me so No End House and Pretzel Jack are legit terrifying to me

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yeah, I dunno if I find it "scary" (TBH, aside from jump scares, I can't remember the last time I was actually scared by a movie) but the Lynchian dreamlike stuff is very unsettling, and it's the number one thing that drew me into the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kurosawa's Dreams is a horror film in my book for that reason

Episode 4 is off to a great start

• Locked thread