Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yeah, the show unsettles me more often than it scares me. Or makes me anxious, or creeped out, or repulsed. I think there's moods other than fear that horror can elicit that I value just as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I can totally see that. I don't think they are going for "scary" the way many horror movies try to, but I still never really feel unsettled or creeped out. Some of the more surreal scenes in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind really got to me, but this show has yet to make me feel anything like that, and I just can't put my finger on why! Like, in particular I feel like No End House should really have hosed with me, and while watching it I recognized that this is super creepy and weird, but I just never felt it. I don't know, people are different I guess :unsmith: Just curious if anyone else feels this way about this show. "Should be creepy/unsettling, but isn't", basically, and their thoughts on that. Either way it's a cool show and I dig all the weird stuff they come up with. More of that!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I loved the first three seasons but holy loving yikes that this season's whole premise so far seems to be "the angry black woman needs to be less emotional."

I've only seen the first three episodes but gently caress me that's problematic. Like there has to be some kind of twist coming up... right? Something that makes this less yikers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Keep watching, yeah. It's much more nuanced than that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was kind of disappointed in episode 5 when Ian's whole plan of escape was to just kill the cops instead of trying something more esoteric with his powers. They did make up for it in episode 6 when he makes the Tom duplicate and controls it directly.

I kind of wonder if this season is actually setting up the fact that every season is actually taking place in the same universe because the dream door ability is kind of similar to what happens with Candle Cove and the inside of the dream creations sure looked similar to the insides of the copies created by the No End House (just white instead of black.)

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Where is everyone watching this? Its not on Amazon or Hulu

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Agentdark posted:

Where is everyone watching this? Its not on Amazon or Hulu

Sling has it on demand if you use that. Pretty much everything with on demand Syfy has it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't even believe Syfy has it behind the provider log on in their site. I think it's open to everyone.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh drat, Tall Boy was a Weyland-Yutani Android the whole time!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Kevin Bacon posted:

I can totally see that. I don't think they are going for "scary" the way many horror movies try to, but I still never really feel unsettled or creeped out. Some of the more surreal scenes in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind really got to me, but this show has yet to make me feel anything like that, and I just can't put my finger on why! Like, in particular I feel like No End House should really have hosed with me, and while watching it I recognized that this is super creepy and weird, but I just never felt it. I don't know, people are different I guess :unsmith: Just curious if anyone else feels this way about this show. "Should be creepy/unsettling, but isn't", basically, and their thoughts on that. Either way it's a cool show and I dig all the weird stuff they come up with. More of that!

!!!!!!!! Eternal Sunshine is my favorite movie. :-)

But yes.....this season started strong and kind of fell off towards the end. Still way better than anything offered by other channels (AMS on FXX). No End House and Butchers Block were both excellent IMO.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

!!!!!!!! Eternal Sunshine is my favorite movie. :-)

But yes.....this season started strong and kind of fell off towards the end. Still way better than anything offered by other channels (AMS on FXX). No End House and Butchers Block were both excellent IMO.

Yay....I'm going to watch it now.

Still have to finish the Hill House show too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like Tall Boy should have been way more creepy looking. He wasn't even that tall.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Enjoyed it all the way through, but it definitely wasn't as good once Pretzel Jeff* left. I'm not sure why they brought him back. He deserved a better send-off.

* I misheard it as Pretzel Jeff in the first episode and it stuck with me. Way better than Pretzel Jack.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Should have called him Bendyman, show.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
This was definitely the most coherent season. All of their motivations made sense, the plot struck a nice balance between the supernatural and reacting to it, a lot of the exposition was touched upon later rather than just filling time (his crayons being his only friends and then becoming these minions,) and all of the creatures had a purpose and weren't just there to look weird (granted, they sort of forgot about the baby, but you understood why it was there.) It had the usual Syfy hiccups, what with the bad dialogue and bad acting of the dialogue and certain things not being resolved very satisfactorily. I always find myself wishing they would build more on the source material, but overall, I thought this was their strongest effort yet in terms of story.

Tall Boy should have been taller, yes. Although he's supposed to be a boy and was created by a boy, and he's pretty tall in those respects.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean after Pretzel Jack I was expecting Tall Boy to be like, a really eerie slenderman type design or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So far there has been a Pretzel Jack spotting in the newest episode of The Flash, and also a cameo appearance as an infected passenger in the youtube show Origin. It's so funny to see a guy's skill explode in popularity even though he's probably been able to do that, and improving his abilities for a long time

and 2 productions in a row are like "yo....we got this idea for a freaky clown..."

• Locked thread