Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anybody know when Season 3 will be available for streaming? I've watched the first two on Shudder and I've got the DVR set up for Season 4, but I can't find 3 anywhere. The first half of No End House was exactly what I want from a horror series, but it didn't really stick the landing. Candle Cove was more bland, but also more consistent. Even though neither was perfect, I'm really glad people are making this kind of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

That first episode got me extremely stoked for The Dream Door. More than gore or serial killers or demons or whatever, surreal poo poo that just feels "wrong" is my favorite horror trope. I might have to break down and buy Butcher's Block because I can't get enough of this show. Even when the plot is a bit of a letdown, the atmosphere is fantastic.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I think you need a cable subscription to login, but you can stream the whole season right now here:

https://www.syfy.com/channelzerothedreamdoor/videos

Edit: Holy poo poo SyFy's video player sucks. It won't run until you turn off adblock (understandable) but it's incapable of actually playing any ads for me. I have to refresh the video during every commercial break.

Edit 2: Just finished the season and... ehhhh. It started off promising, but never solidified into anything interesting. There are a few cool visuals in the final two episodes, but it doesn't make up for how slow the first four are. The antagonist is really bland, and it felt like the budget was slashed compared to previous seasons.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 28, 2018

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So for those of you that have kept up with this show what's the generally agreed upon best season? I watched through S1 and really liked it but I'm wondering if it's another AHS where the first season or two are okay but then it goes to poo poo.

I think the quality is consistent throughout the series, but it depends on what brand of horror you find most effective. Very broad spoilers: Seasons 1 and 4 are about weird monsters coming into and influencing the real world, while 2 and 3 are about regular people stumbling into strange, dreamlike alternate dimensions. I think the latter is more compelling (season 4 spoiler) which is why Dream Door was disappointing. I was immediately hooked when they found the door in the basement, but this season is more interested in the monsters that come out of the doors than what's inside of them.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I know I've ragged on this season, but Pretzel Jack owns and his routine is even weirder without the makeup:

https://twitter.com/AGT/status/1011762430764990464

He also played one of the giant hosed up faces in season 3:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgflsmlFvg3/?taken-by=twistytroy

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yeah, I dunno if I find it "scary" (TBH, aside from jump scares, I can't remember the last time I was actually scared by a movie) but the Lynchian dreamlike stuff is very unsettling, and it's the number one thing that drew me into the series.

• Locked thread